/STG/ Star Trek General

Tuesday edition.

Previous thread A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10775424-"step-right-up"
youtube.com/watch?v=7oncAGFBHzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does the UFP have any laws about child endangerment?

Also given how far these two fuckers traveled what is stopping a civilian from going past the edge of the map and giving primatives a helping hand?

Nothing apparently.
How else do you explain a doctor going to anotherplanet and turning it into the 3rd reich 2.0?

>go to a distant planet
>uplift a species
>turn them into fanatical super soldiers
>make heavy duty use of star lifting to get gigafucktons of material for habitats and battleships
>start conquering the galaxy
replicators too stronk, it would take but one clever person to turn everything into 40k
they don't even need to uplift a species, considering intelligent machines like holograms can be made and mass produced, and how fuck ass massive the galaxy is with it's hundreds of billions of stars

Meant to make this thread last night, but Veeky Forums was having a conniption.

Requesting that we add the following to the next OP.

“Heads up, we don’t have a download link for Modiphius’ ST: Adventures rulebook. This is because Modiphius have been quite efficient at taking down links. If you’re looking for the rulebook, check the archives of these threads, or ask for someone in the thread to give it to you via discord.”

Or something to that effect.

Presumably the god-like entities stop this from happening.

For example one Douwd exterminated the entire Husnock species in a moment of grief and rage when they killed his wife. And the Douwd have sweet fuck all on the Organians and the Q.

The Star Trek Galaxy is how it is to some extent because all of the big fuckers have pets and they will be quite unhappy if you kill their little puppy.

You could start shit that would exterminate the galaxy, you really could. The UFP has the tech to not only wipe the slate clean but grind the slate to dust and fuse the dust into ceramic glass. But at some point they are going to kill someones little puppy dog and when that happens their only realistic hope is that someone somewhere has run far enough to survive the backlash.

I hope they take Discovery in the direction of a different ship and crew every season which some loose plot connecting the ships. It would be interesting.

Nothing whatsoever. Kes didn't even begin puberty until years after she was brought on board Voyager.

Only if it's a consecutive timeline. I don't want them going back and forth over events we've already seen but from a different perspective.

A reminder to STO players, the 8th year anniversary event starts today, meaning grindan for new Bajoran ship and Omega particles floating across the space.

LET THE GRIND BEGIN!

>meaning grindan for new Bajoran ship
Or completing last year's. Finally going to get my Krenim science ship.

Okay

So they implanted Voq's nervous system into Tyler's body so that psychic implantation of a Voq engram would actually take? I still don't understand what they actually DID.

I wouldn't be so certain about it, but let's wait till the event starts, then we will see if what i fear happens or if you are lucky.
At least with Summer and Christmas events they have been using year specific collectibles on their yearly ship gettings.

I think it's Voq's body but they've reshaped his organs and bones and messed up his DNA. I know that doesn't make any sense either, but Beverly Crusher once claimed nobody had had a cold since the cure for it was invented hundreds of years earlier, which is even equally ridiculous, so on medical stuff I tend to let Trek slide.

Patch notes explicitly state that last years event ship can be finished with this years vouchers.

Ok, good.

I am in the process of watching Enterprise on Netflix and I just watched the "Dear Doctor." fuck me was that episode awful and I can see why it would drive people away from watching more of Enterprise. I knew of the episode reputation beforehand and even kinda dreaded to watch it. Also I would say it pretty much killed my interest on the Phlox as now forwards whatever character development there might be this ahole doomed a planetfull of people he could have cured.

I would rank it even lower than the fucking Threshold as Threshold atleast didn't do active character smearing as Dear Doctor did.

It's not even like it could be claimed to be upholding the letter of the Prime Directive (I know it hadn't been written yet) because they had already had repeated contact with warp civilization and actively went out looking for them.

It, like Threshhold and Sub Rosa, are episodes that just plain old don't need to exist.

>I would rank it even lower than the fucking Threshold as Threshold atleast didn't do active character smearing as Dear Doctor did.
Thank god I skipped all the truly awful episodes on my recent watch of the series, that sounds pretty terrible.

I cannot get past the 'you merchant ship people have no right to fight back against the space pirates, it is their culture to murder you to death how dare you question it' episode in season one.

Why is enterprise so bad.

I'm running a KDF campaign soon, set in the timeframe of STO (So the years 2409 and 2410). I found homebrewed rules for Orions and Klingons on Continuing Mission, but I was wondering if anyone has homebrewed rules for Gorn, Letheans or Nausicans,

Good Waifu though. (RIP)

Fortunate Son was more of "You are actively messing with pirates with your outgunned freighter and holding one of them as a prisoner and you wonder why people think you are a moron."

And Earth was doing sweet fuck all to protect it's space lanes from piracy forcing the freighter captains into desperation. Desperate people do stupid things.

But remember if you fight your enemies then they win.

When they're years away with the best warp engines Earth has to offer, what are they supposed to do? Hire Vulcan bodyguards?

I was thinking more on the lines of Tellarans or Andorians.

If they can't afford it then the space lanes aren't profitable and humanity should be sticking to it's own patch of space until it can safely travel under it's own power.

Enterprise was sent to help out because other Starfleet ships where weeks away not years. So the freighter was nearby Earth but just enough away that Starfleet had problems getting there in time. Also they attitude of the Boomers seem to be issue aswell as they have used to getting along on their own so alot of the problems they are hesitant to inform the Starfleet.

But still what the First Officer was trying to do was braindead, going after better armed and shielded pirate ship with the crew that had little of weapons training in what I saw in the final fight the Nausicaans. Had the Enterprise not been there, those raider ships would have made burning hulk of the freighter.

I don't think they have the wherewithal to carry off either, honestly.

Enterprise was the first Trek made entirely after the Viacom buyout (owners of MTV, BET, financers of the Ghostbusters remake and every horror remake ever) .

Voyager was already in production when it happened so they got a lot of the concepts they wanted from the original pitch but then they had to fight to keep in everything they wanted because Viacom didn't want anything controversial in future seasons.

Wasn't voyager supposed to actually be episodic instead of reset button every week, and the year of hell meant to actually be a thing instead of an ignored two parter?

Year of hell was supposed to be an entire season. Also there was supposed to be a ton of internal strife between the Maquis and the Voyager crew through the first half of season one. A lot of great ideas got scrapped because Viacom wanted a safe episodic TV show.

Still some great episodes of Voyager but there's a lot of "what could have been".

Year of Hell being a full season was only something Moore wanted, not anything seriously considered. The issues with Voyager and Enterprise stem from Berman, not really anything Viacom or the CW execs wanted. Worst they did was the CW execs wanting a boy band in every episode of Enterprise but that got shot down.

>a boy band in every episode
What, like in place of Movie Night, or as actual characters?

if godlike beings are keeping everyone from being galaxy conquering shitters, why didn't they knee the dominion in the balls for trying to do so?
Why aren't they gassing the borg for being the disturbing shitgoblins they are?

Technically in both cases weren't those defeated by godline beings?

no, both were beat back by conventional military forces in all the instances they were involved in

But the godlike beings used mortals as pawns to engineer those instances.

Brag confirmed he wanted year of hell to be a year more than anyone and they went even more over the top on breaking shit just because they had to reset button it.

But Braga's also said he wasn't the person to fight Berman after he saw how much Ira Steven Behr had to go full bear mode over DS9 at Berman.

What about the giant Dominion armada that was disappeared by the Prophets while travelling through the wormhole?

That prolonged the war, it didn't end it.

when did this happen
I don't remember that part at all

It was when the Dominion broke the minefield blocking the wormhole and Sisko flew in there to convince the Prophets to, as he put it, "if you want to be gods, then BE gods! I need a miracle!"

Sacrifice of Angels

>when you order literal gods around and they actually obey
sisko was a treasure

Sisko should, when he dies, be enshrined in that French vault alongside the kilogram and the ounce and shit as the definitive measurement of badassery.

Who's your favourite second in command?

This should be a no-brainer, friendo.

Saru.

He said 2nd in command, not 2nd course

Dominion don't typically exterminate populations and we don't see the living conditions deeper in their territory. It could be that it's pretty nice if you do wat you're told.

Maybe the Borg haven't fucked up a species with Q patron yet.

Planet of the plague babies and kardassian prime say otherwise.

>Dominion don't typically exterminate populations
That's literally exactly what they do if you don't give them 100% blind obedience at all times.

We don't know why Plagueworld was given Space AIDS. They could been Jihading and beheading Vorta diplomats or some shit. Typically efficient tyrants, and the founders would have to be that for the Dominion to be as old as it is, don't murder their own citizenry for no reason.

Cardassians had just rebelled and the founders had nothing left to loose.

>Typically efficient tyrants, and the founders would have to be that for the Dominion to be as old as it is, don't murder their own citizenry for no reason.
Difference being the Dominion can simply breed more completely loyal fanatics at any given time, which means they don't need to give a shit about the well being of their people, and they can simply overwhelm everyone who kicks up a fuss.

I'm certain that I'm not the only one to have noticed this, but I had to bring it up anyway. That horrifically ugly Sarcophagus ship from Discovery that STO released?

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10775424-"step-right-up"

In-universe, it's a blatant cash grab.

Welp, it was the H'urq all along!

Oh shit, is there a new mission?

>Finish mission
>Odo shows up
>"We need to talk"
>Except I haven't recorded any new dialogue for cryptic, so I'm going to beam to DS9 with Martok while you can fuck off out the system.

Yep, but servers are down again already.

Yes.
And i am so confused right now!
>Character gets to see in previous mission that the rocks on planets the Tzenkethi have been exterminatusing are full of alien bug lobster monsters
>In this mission stop them from exterminatusing 3 planets and Bajor
>In a talk with Tzenkethi admiral, refer to the rocks as "harmless"
>After the lobster monsters inside them depopulated a colony you were on
>Also apparently these guys space ships were hidden under the planets crust
>But wait a minute, why would a weapon that destroys all organic matter in the planets biosphere while leaving the planet and its crust intact kill these space ships?

On IMDB it's actually the fourth highest rated episode of the first season.

The acting in the Episode is fine. It's just the message that's totally fucked. I guess Denobulans are just pricks.

As if we needed further proof that IMDB doesn't know jack shit about quality entertainment.

I love this scene. just because of how stupidly over the top evil it is. I was half expecting her to kick a puppy on her way out of the room.

Martin-Green cannot look good in any scene she plays in. She doesn't look like she has human responses to stimuli, it's actually sadly impressive how unnatural she looks. She always has that stare of "I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing" going on, it's amazing in a pathetic and terrible way.

She was raised by Vulcans irl

Supposedly, she was a decent actress in other shows. She was so "good" that they made a custom role for her on the Walking Dead even. Clearly, she can't be a walking talking brush fire like she seems to be on STD and yet we have her performance, if it can be so called, on STD. She's bad enough that I am legit confused as to how it is possible.

it's intentional with the character, she's a pretty good actor but mike burnham is an unsocialized repressed trainwreck

Are they just forgetting she had seven years on the Shenzhou to learn how to interact?
Then again, I suppose that's no worse than forgetting Data's twenty years of service before being assigned to the Enterprise.

you go from being incredibly repressed to a position of authority in a ship full full of normal people. the girl's never even been in love, she's got the emotional maturity and understanding of a 14 year old. Getting fucked out of proper socialization early on can ruin you for life

>Getting fucked out of proper socialization early on can ruin you for life
Story of my life, friend.

Then they're retarded. That doesn't make for a compelling show. Characters on television need to be interesting and enjoyable to watch and an unsocialized emotional brush fire isn't a good character to watch, especially not one we're supposed to empathize with and experience the universe through. For fuck's sake, Data was at least functional and relatable, Burnham is neither.

There aren't any current Star Trek games that have ground combat as well are there (that nutrek Expedition game aside)?

What do you mean by Star Trek games? Board games like Expeditions?

Board games, wargames, etc. Not RPGs like STA. Something as a ground counterpart to Attack Wing.

Voyager does bring stuff forward quietly, it's just that the most obvious stuff is like "mobile emitter" and "Seven's wardrobe is expanding".

Actually, her progression - sad as it was that it kind of took over the ship, but totally understandable since Trek lives or dies by the covert bodysuit ass shots - is pretty solidly handled.

Actually they engineered the entire war. It's arguable they saw a different timeline and chose to prevent it.

T'Pol. Or Harry, when he's arguing with the ECH.

We don't know that. They could be equivalent to the Ottoman Empire at the start of WW1 - utterly fucked with no way to understand what's even happening to them, because they keep getting rid of the people who could fix it.

dat ass doe

>dat ass doe
dat stupid doe

Hey, I gave TNG more than enough chances when I should have let it fail. And back then I thought butts were just for poopin.

They still are, you miscreant.

>Getting fucked out of proper socialization early on can ruin you for life

You don't need to state the obvious here.

i'm just saying it's not far-fetched for someone who spent all of their development in vulcan conditions just doesn't know how the fuck interactions work or the correct body language to present even after seven years of serving on a ship

just because they have other uses doesn't mean they can't be for poopin

Do you reckon the various Federation species actively hate Vulcans? Or is it just the small sample-group we’ve seen?

Probably not, given their dedication to the principles of the Federation and to good scientific pursuits. The Vulcans are a peace-loving scientific people who share what they find and are truly dedicated to their entirely noble goals. I bet most people are on board with them.

Archer is rather a crazy exception, rather than the rule.

Many probably do, but only due to their main exposure to Vulcans being in brief encounters. Anyone who learns why Vulcans are the way they are probably gives them more slack.

Q literally sicced the Borg on his puppy (Starfleet) and his puppy was one shotting tactical Borg cubes with hax torpedoes less than 15 years later.

Don't mess with Q.

can /stg/ beat these contestants? Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=7oncAGFBHzY

>On Voyager I play Tuvok, the first "Star Trek" series regular from this race

What is Spock?

He doesn't need your fantasy women, Q

Incorrect. Spock was half human half Vulcan. You will not be making it to Final Jeopardy.

You know if someone answered that way they'd have gotten it wrong and only gotten points back after a commercial break when some nerd behind the scenes said "WAIT HOLD THE FUCK UP, TREBEK"

How can I feel shame from 1999?

Try watching more Voyager.

user who was watching Enterprise. The acting in the episode didn't concern me, it was the bloody message, especially with Archers 180 turn at the end. They where so fucking concerned about playing God that Phlox and Archer forgot that they where allready playing God, all that decision of theirs just meant they would be the evil god instead of merciful one.

And all that fucking evolution talk when they don't know if the other race will be fine or would they develope similar genetic shit in the future or a huge rock would end their culture stillborn. They don't fucking see in the future and know what would happen if they had given the damn cure for the more developed people. All this episode taught me is that Phlox is huge shithead and I even kinda liked his character in the previous episodes.

Species? No. Vulcans are too useful to be hated, even by old crotchety Andorians.
Individuals? Absolutely. Vulcans are usually pricks in person. The only real exceptions we see are experienced diplomats like Sarek, who learn that the default Vulcan smug superiority doesn't go over very well 99% of the time. Even Spock was a prick a lot. If that's all you saw of an entire race, you'd probably hate them too.

>Even Spock was a prick a lot.
That was just bants dude.

Borg were already coming.

Some idiots find the remains of the Sphere shot down by Picard in Antarctica including at least one preserved drone that thawed out, assimilated the excavation team, hijacked a ship and managed to get a subspace signal out before Archer shot them down.

The Hansans had been assimilated and so the Borg knew about the great harvest ground thar the UFP had become.

Picard and the Romulans investigate whole colonies that had been scooped up by the Borg along both sides of the Neutral Zone.

It's only then that Q shows Picard the Borg in the hopes that they might start getting their shit together.

Most people probably don’t have many interactions with Vulcans. As Federations species go, they’re rather isolationist. You’d wager that most Vulcans that people meet are, therefor, Starfleet officers. They’ve at least learned some social graces from prolonged exposure to “emotional” species.

U N S T O P P A B L E