Critical Role

Critical Role (Marisha) hate thread?

Why the fuck can't Marisha just accept an answer? In both campaigns now she'll ask someone a fucking question, they'll give her a completely reasonable answer, but then she keeps pushing as if she expects there to be some hidden truth. And she does it all with this fake air of intelligence when she may in fact be clinically retarded.
Why did she decide to fight town guards even though the character she was trying to "save" was in no danger and showed no signs of intending to escape?
Why can't she shut her goddamn mouth when people are trying to help her?

What do you hate about Critical Role? Let it all out.

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class
youtube.com/watch?v=PZAiC7yKXCM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's basically the opposite of what I like in RPGs. It's a fudge fest and doesn't have interesting problem solving. I don't like their generic fantasy world. There's a lot of lolsorandum and memeshit that just makes me cringe. I wouldn't find their game all that much fun. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen though, I've seen some Shadowrun actual plays I'd dislike playing in even more.

>It's a fudge fest
Proofs? If I remember correctly the only player confirmed to do this was the AIDs guy and he got kicked. It's in front of a live audience they tend to notice when the math doesn't add up.
>There's a lot of lolsorandum
Even more of it in this campaign, theres a character literally dedicated but it's played well and cute

But the important question is, what are your opinions on Marisha?

I like it.
It is essentially a lighthearted radioplay where most of the actors don't know the script.
The actors are likeable and Matt's worldbuilding is pretty damn good.

Why people choose to hate it, or love it to the point of buying all the goddamn merchandize, I do not know, but I find it to be excellent background noise, with occasional moments that really spark the imagination for future DMing.

Picked up CR for the new season, just to see what all the fuss was about.

Is this how their sessions usually unfold, or are they still getting into the groove of their new campaign?
I don't know what I was expecting, but if there isn't a sharp increase in quality with the next few weeks, I'm dropping it.

Glad I'm not alone in my opinion of Marisha, at first I thought it was her character I had a problem with, but then I realized it was her as a player, and that her character was just the perfect conduit for her.
As for the rest, they'd all seem enjoyable enough to play with, especially the big guy, and this qt.

user what do you think "fudge fest" means?

He's saying they're FUDGE PACKERS.

Faggots. They're faggots, sir.

>Is this how their sessions usually unfold, or are they still getting into the groove of their new campaign?
How do you mean? What about it isn't 'quality' in your eyes?
Genuinely asking, otherwise I can't really answer.

>Is this how their sessions usually unfold, or are they still getting into the groove of their new campaign?
>I don't know what I was expecting, but if there isn't a sharp increase in quality with the next few weeks, I'm dropping it.

No, it doesn't get better. It can, and very often does, get much worse. You didn't even see them crying and sobbing like children yet.

I'd definitely say this campaign hasn't taken off yet, they played the same campaing every week for like 2 years, so they're at least adjusting to new classes, but about half the players are effectively playing the same character in terms of personality.
If you don't like forced drama then I'd definitely say to drop it because that aspect gets worse as the campaign goes on

Marisha is just a shitty player altogether, she will regularly do something completely retarded and then complain about the consequences of her retardation. You're lucky, last campaign she played a Druid and every other week would argue the rules of some spell she ought to understand after hundreds of hours play. Her last character was ripped entirely from Avatar Legend of Aang, and many people are saying her new character is a tip off of Korra, I don't know if that's true, but if it is chances are she'll choose Way of the 4 Elements and go back to being frustrating in every aspect of gameplay

Marisha's problem is that once again, she's playing a character with high wisdom which is something she is totally incapable of doing

I used to think it's because she was just kind of stupid, now I kind of think it's Matt's fault, because this time around they clearly rolled for stats down the line

She defiintely is just stupid though. In the 2nd episode she gets so cringy trying to pretend she's intelligent and saying something deep and she just comes across as a dumbass. At least the other players aren't putting up with her shit as much.

Marisha's problem is that she's a California Cunt and her California Cuck husband lets her get away with it.

Laura and Travis are amazing and are totally marriage goals.

Oh yes, I'm not saying that she isn't stupid, I'm just thinking that her stupidity isn't why she's playing a high wisdom character again.

I think she'd make a good barbarian

I just started watching the show, and I'm kind of in this weird conundrum when it comes to you people and how much you hate the Marisha girl. Personally, the show itself was kind of hard to watch. I don't know what else to call it but "normie" when everyone is bursting in to laughter for every small joke. Then comes Marisha, who does dumb things, but I can just shrug it off while the rest of you guys are raging. Aren't you taking the show a little too seriously? It's like a show made for the casual and average person, but you guys actually like it while at the same time hating Marisha for being a typical normie.

And I dunno. I feel I would take Marisha over the brooding, dark, wake me up when September ends Caleb in my tabletop games. At least stupidity can be fun.

>they clearly rolled for stats down the line
None of their stats look weird, they have every niche filled, they have high CON and half of them are playing the classes they always said they would. They clearly didn't roll down the line.

>It's like a show made for the casual and average person, but you guys actually like it while at the same time hating Marisha for being a typical normie.

We hate it for its flaws, and we love it for what it (sadly) is: the only worthwhile D&D stream.

Someone on here once linked some dumb sketch she was in that summed her up well.
Basically in the sketch she had a 1 night stand with someone, and in the morning there was $20 left on top of her things, and she flips out ranting about how the guy must have thought she was a "working girl" (why can Commiefornians never just say prostitute?). As her rant goes on she details the events of the previous night in an attempt to belittle the guy, before reaching a point where she says she paid for the taxi, then realising he said he'd pay her back and that was what the money was for.

And that's pretty much how she seems irl. Like she'd fly off the handle without a full understanding of the situation.

I am newbie to tabletop games, having ran only 1 game and played 2, but this show is an example of boring DMing and a bad cast dragging decent players down.

>(why can Commiefornians never just say prostitute?)

Why can't Commiefornians just say "whore"?

We know why.

Marisha is just a frustratingly bad player and she never gets any better. Many of her defenders used to say it was just her character that she was playing, and now they've been proven wrong because her new character is exactly the same, doesn't understand the rule nor care to learn them, is impulsively stupid, complains a lot when shit doesn't go her way etc etc.
The first campaign went on for well over 100 episodes at about 2-4 hours each, you'll get fed up of her pretty quickly.

No one in the history of mankind who was given the name "Marisha" at birth is anything but a complete garbage person. Zero exceptions.

The name is a curse, and the curse is why Marisha is nothing but a pile of garbage pretending to be human.

More so with the latest session rather than the first, but I'm finding it rather slow and meandering.

I understand that it *is* D&D, and players are bound to take interest in unimportant things, the same thing happens at my table.
But an episode comprised almost entirely of investigative dead-ends wasn't very fun to watch, even the players themselves began to look visibly frustrated throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

>rather slow and meandering.
Yep thats it desu.

sounds like a failure of the DM desu

I'm literally watching that ep as we speak, but this does seem to be one of the slower ones. Usually the bit that drags is the combat, but Matt doesn't seem to have picked a good opening arc for this campaign. It seems quite poorly planned.

Honestly, instead of watching this campaign, go back and watch the whitestone arc of the previous campaign. It's widely considered the high-point of the series.

I'm not sure I believe you

Liam's character has higher wisdom and charisma than constitution and dex and is a wizard, Travis is a hexblade with no dexterity and Laura has 16 strength and 17 dex on a cleric with only 15 constitution

>go back and watch the whitestone arc of the previous campaign. It's widely considered the high-point of the series.

While true, here's the sad part: the show continues on for a long time after that arc. The best Critical Role ever got was this, its 2nd or 3rd major arc. Everything after that was trash.

It took them about half an hour after it pinged evil on a detect good & evil spell to consider the creature being described as a devil toad could possibly be a bad guy. They just can't do investigation.

wow it's almost like they didn't optimize and min-max their characters because they play for fun

I'm sure your mom can tell you all about "fun" on the way to therapy

I don't know. I think he could have done with more hints that they needed to go back to the circus. I mean honestly even though it's D&D unless I was playing a particular kind of character, if the town guards put me under house arrest during an investigation in which it was not explicitly implied I was the prime suspect, I'd probably let the investigation take it's course.
Also what the hell were they supposed to find? It seems like it was just luck that Laura used Detect Evil and Good, what would have happened if she didn't? And why did the frog thing decide to run away then? Nott and Jester literally told it they suspected someone else. Feels like it only ran away because the plot needed it to

S T O R M W I N D

Hexblade doesn't need Dexterity, it uses medium armour and Charisma as it's attack

The last one is the real kicker

They're all very close together, but placed wrongly. There's no real RP difference in aligning them in a way that's more optimal and she'd get better results out of it. Which is the strongest indication of rolling down the line

Liam dumped CON on Vax, too. Hexblades don't need DEX. Vex had higher CHA than WIS or CON. Their old characters weren't optimized, they don't care about that.

K N E E J E R K

>Aren't you taking the show a little too seriously? It's like a show made for the casual and average person, but you guys actually like it while at the same time hating Marisha for being a typical normie.

This is the same website where people spend hours intensely debating the deep lore of magic horses and talking rocks in childrens' cartoons.

Who is best pony in the Mane 6 of Critical Role and why is it Laura Bailey?

Being Californians, they just can't accept that something that is supposed to be evil is actually evil. They hanged around with a mindflayer, ffs

At the end of episode 1, they thought it was probably the little girl. The reason they stopped thinking about the circus is because Molly said it couldn't be them and they gave them the benefit of the doubt. I feel like Matt made it pretty obvious the old guy was just an old guy and the DEVIL TOAD was suspicious.

Because Laura is compassionate, funny, smart, lewd and is quite a literal semen demon

Honestly I think he did a pretty good job underplaying the devil toad, making it look like a bystander

Then I think he got tired of his players not suspecting it and just made it obvious. He should have just let them be wrong

how can you not suspect a DEVIL toad?
They are just fucking retarded

Okay but as DM when he sees his players going that far off the rails he really ought to help them out. I mean Talesin literally used something to predict the future or some shit and all he got was "you get the sense there are still places you've yet to go and questions you haven't asked", no shit, if that weren't the case they'd have solved it already.

Everyone arguing how the 'Devil Toad' is obviously evil missed two or three times across two episodes where the Toad was described as a 'looking like a huge mutated lizardfolk with deformed toad-like legs' with an actual name and 'Devil Toad' being a nickname given to it by the carnies.

because that's not real future telling, you dummy

They outsmarted themselves by believing it couldn't POSSIBLY be the devil toad because of how obvious a suspect the devil toad is.

Or at least, that's what I did watching it. I don't know what they were thinking

Because it could just be a fucking name. They're fucking circus performers, of course the scary creature is going to have a scary name. The fact that it cradles a dwarf girl in its arms while it sleeps, and is trusted enough not to be imprisoned between performances suggests it's trustworthy.

>mutated lizardfolk
>deformed
yeah not suspicious at all
multiculturalism is rotting their brains, they befriended a mindflayer that backstabbed them.

Woman.

...I keep forgetting that most players don't actually read monster stats in the books

Maybe I should stop being such a nerd

>durr it was deformed therefore evil
Even though Matt went out of his way to give half the candies some deformity or tragic backstory.

>fortune telling
>to predict future
>in a game with Divination magic
And the only one who actively opposed the idea was our boy Travis
>'I remember how I wrote down 'Don't Trust Clarota' in my notepad for 5 sessions in a row'

women, not even once

yeah i don't read the monster manual since I don't usually GM
every monster is a unique new challenge, usually

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was Divination magic dumbass, that's my point. But we don't know because it's a class the DM homebrewed. All I know is he did something to look for more information magically and got a stupidly vague response when in that situation the DM really should have just directed them, even if he just literally gave them a direction like "North"

T R I G G E R E D

I've never read the monster manual, its still obvious that you need to at least check this shit.

> we don't know because it's a class the DM homebrewed
The class has been in open access on DMs Guild for literal years.
dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class
At level 2, no Blood Hunters have access to any magic whatsoever.

We'll he did something to ask for guidance bitch, don't give a fuck whether you think he should be able to or not, he clearly did.

No it wasn't

the class is available online for free, you can check it out pretty easily, it does not get divination magic. He was a charlatan

Was she trying to be nonchalant or just bitchy?

Go back and watch the video. He very clearly asks the DM something and the DM replies that he gets the sense there's places they've yet to go and questions they've yet to ask. What is your explanation for that?

hanlon's razor

He has no abilities to do it magically. He has a deck of marked cards as a Charlatan, which doubles for his particular character as a not!Tarot deck. DM has all and any right to tell him to go to completely wrong direction after 'seeking guidance' with these slips of paper.

he's a carnie you fucking mark

Matt is a very giving DM

You're being a retard. He clearly did something he thought would get him info from the DM, why would he fucking bother if he knows his fortune telling is fake?

>being poitlessly rude at people on a polynesian voice actor discussion forum
Dude, calm down already. You're arguing that DM has to give the player good info - we're arguing that the player has no mechanical reason for it. Taliesin is an expeirnced player and was probably doing that for RP and to maybe shake the already stale session up a bit.

because this dm is so gentle with them they stopped using their brain and demand the plot be spoon fed to them. Travis and Sam are only 2 players I like

Travis is the best at playing a character, while Sam is the best at playing his stats. Both very valuable and respectable traits

Look at all those people
As a DM I hate it when there is even six players, five is max for me

Best to worst:
Travis
Sam
Laura
Liam
Marisha
Taliesin

cockslut
any good stories user?

Taliesin is probably better than Liam

Aside from that order seems pretty good

i'd have taliesin before liam

he tries way too hard. Comes off as an insecure psued.

There're usually 6, and Mercer can just manage to DM 8, but he admitted many times that this shit is hard and 4-5 always was a perfect party.

Put Taliesin ahead of Laim and you're set

I'd rather someone who tries too hard over someone who doesn't try at all and then whines when they don't get their way anyway

he's good at playing his character. and i think he's funnier than liam anyway.

He plays his character very consistently, and his new one is looking pretty promising. I'd say he's at least equal to Laura.

No Talesin was god tier at the end of the last episode. As soon as the Toad registered as evil he knew what was up, but he kept his mouth shut for about 20mins, and when Laura came back he didn't ask anything leading like "did you detect any evil?" He let the conversation run for a good few minutes until Laura happened to mention it and then RPd well.

This. He doesn't get a lot of attention because his characters aren't drop dead hilarious like Travis or Sam, but he knows how the game is played.

How many in that group would be playing Rpgs if it wasn’t a paid gig? No one is overweight and I had a better beard at 20. I have no respect for professional gamers. I have a deep love of the game, setting and storytelling. All I ask is that is your main reason for being at the table.

They all started playing a bi-weekly home game (in pathfinder, btw) 2 years before starting streaming. So, to answer your question - all of them.

Considering they played for like a year before starting to stream it, I'd assume all of them

Marisha probably wouldn't be playing if her husband wasn't DM-ing though. She is the stereotypical GM's girlfriend, through and through

Was the intention to develop into a show?

No it was a campaign started for one of the players birthdays.

Anyone care to give me a quick rundown on the critical role thing? I know it is some guys playing D&D and Matt is the DM, but for the rest I have no idea.

No. They started playing even before Geek&Sundry existed. There're homevideos of short moments from their early games published on youtube - shot by slightly drunk Liam with a handheld DSLR.
Also, who the fuck develops characters and a setting for 2 years before showing it to the already intended audience, while also switching the system and fucking up a lot of things along the way?

Well what the fuck do you want to know? There's 6 players and the campaign has run for hundreds of hours, it's hard to summarise.

I guess this is why I'm asking... Isn't there sort of a best moments montage or something? Or could you give me a quick rundown of the 6 players?

Not really.

if you just search up critical role highlights on youtube theres a couple dozen short videos about funny shit thats happened. and i guess watching the individual character tribute videos would probably help too.

sure, you can look up a whole lot of them on youtube

I generally think one of the best moments is when Travis's character and Sam's character try to take Taliesin's character's guns, then Taliesin calls them out indirectly, it's just fantastic roleplaying from all three of them

youtube.com/watch?v=PZAiC7yKXCM
Start here. Focuses on jokes and stuff, but gets you the idea,

Thank you

>spoonfeeding something he could've googled
I hate nu-Veeky Forums

Friendly reminder - early episodes (first 20 or so) have an inconsistent audio quality and a dickhead That Guy sorcerer player.

Who's the dickhead That Guy sorc player?