EDH/Commander General

Storm's a-comin edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
Do any of you keep a high-power deck on standby for when shit gets real?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/paradox-storm-doomtide-a-dralnu-tale/
magiccards.info/query?q=t:"legendary creature" (e:sok/en or e:bok/en or e:chk/en)&s=cname&v=card&p=1
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/primer-breya-doomsday-artificer/
youtube.com/watch?v=A6cSbof7Pik
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/volrath-fall-down-go-boom/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>using Kesse, Genderfluid Geriatric

Bow down to the patrician's storm commander, who doesn't believe in "an" extra cast per turn, but as many as you can abuse him for, while also letting you run jank like catalyst stone and river kelpie.

>that feel when no idea what deck I want to play at all

Reposting
Just got Azami. From what I understand just stuff the deck with counters and draws.
What are some must have cards except for maniac and mind over matter?

i have a skithiryx deck that fucks up most tryhard combo decks by throwing ridiculous amounts of hand-hate, spot removal and land destruction at a single person. the deck doesn't really win games but it does make sure that one person certainly doesn't win

i don't have the deck sleeved though since i don't need it in my casul meta

Just gonna repost my question

i'd probably consider docent of perfection

Who is the most fun zombie tribal commander?

>Thread Question

Momir Vig elfball is very difficult for many decks to stop, as its a super-reliable creature combo deck that also packs counterspells, cyclonic rift and other blue degeneracy.

And Dralnu Paradox Storm with lab-man backup is reliable against everything but other control decks in 1v1.

Dralnu is the fucking man. I finally finished out my Doomtide deck (fucking Candelabra) and holy shit is it crazy fun to pilot.

All hail the Lich Lord.

Trick question, zombie tribal isn't fun.

>Do any of you keep a high-power deck on standby for when shit gets real?

Working on Gitrog Monster for this precise reason. About half way there, the land base is going to be a bitch and a half, but still.

I really don’t even want a deck like this, but my local meta has become more combo based, so I either get with the program or get left behind.

>Thread Question
I have Yisan in reserve but don't know how much of a fan of it I am. It sure can win pretty reliably but when shit goes somewhat wrong it feels like it's impossible to win.

the sad truth is that the kalemne precon is kind of shit

you basically need to one of these two things:

1. stay in boros, rework it completely to be some really aggressive low cmc combat pile that drops an MLD on turn 5 and then either wins or crashes and burns. i don't recommend this, but it's basically your only option in boros if you want to stay in boros.

2. add a color that actually supports big creature strategies like green or black (preferably green) and then you can actually cast or cheat out the big creatures in your deck. i'd recommend something in naya, like mayael or zacama.

the good news is that your deck has a bunch of really expensive cards you don't need for whatever your deck is going to be, like urza's incubator and fiery confluence, so try to trade/sell those off so you can get some cards that actually make for a good edh deck

I want to make Zombies because I want to play something aggro and Zombies is my favorite tribe.

zombie synergies are piss. if you really want to do zombies, you're best off making some zombie token pile with scarab god, grimgrin or sultai sidisi, and avoiding most of the shitty zombie lords and such. only run good zombie cards and maybe a few good(!) tribal effects.

Intruder Alarm and Cryptic Gateway.
Gauntlet of Power, Extraplanar Lens, Caged Sun.

>Thread question
What do you mean by "shit gets real"?

come to think of it, sultai sidisi is probably the absolute best zombie commander since you have an easy way to create zombie tokens and prop up your grave for Zombie Apocalypse and stuff. and then you actually have token support in your colors with stuff like cryptolith rite.

just try to think of your deck as a token deck first and a zombie deck second. otherwise it's going to end in tears.

the best zombie commander is actually mono black Gisa, because you're in mono black.

I was thinking mono black Gisa or Scarab God.

Does anyone here run this bad boy? I want to try janky monoblue enchantment voltron

>thread question
I have my Ghave and Hanna decks for different kinds of play. Some people take stax much better than infinites for some reason

Scarab God is pretty good I guess, but mono black is just better because you don't need to worry about color fixing, can ammess huge amounts of mana with cabal coffers, artifacts like lens and doubling cube, have some of the best graveyard recursion and if you don't wanna play Gisa you just use Sidisi and tutor everytime you play your commander.

i don't really agree, i think mono-black is pretty limiting for a zombie strategy and gisa isn't the most efficient or useful commander around. a bunch of good zombie cards are in blue and a bunch of other good shit is in green. when i tested out gisa, i thought she was really wonky and boring to play.

She's one of the better token generators that exists

I don't know what kind of deck you builst but when it felt wonky you most likely did something odd, black has all the tools to make a powerful zombie deck that plays smoothly and does it even better if you don't commit to the tribal gimmick but you can make that work too.

All right I will give Ghoulcaller Gisa a shot, is there a decent budget list out there?

What's a commander/archetype that you really enjoy playing against?

Hard control or even stax. It's like solving a puzzle and I have to actually be careful about what I put down.

This guy is a total blast.

>Sun Titan + Mirrorworks for slowly growing titan army
> Faerie Artisans/Mimic Vat + populate
> Unblockable scytheclaws
> Resilient to commander tax because you get two uses before each tax kicks in
> Stolen Identity on an unblockable Sun Titan token

Anyone got any other cool tricks with this guy?

I wish I did, I don't really full-on degenerate, because it requires a lot of testing and budget, while still not guaranteeing high performance. In other words, my best decks, which can be too good for my meta sometimes get crushed by random people showing up.

I don't recommend it if you don't want it, the main combo, while durable, is a bitch to execute, compared to usual infinites.

You get touched in no-no places

Still looking for opinions/suggestions

Breya DD. Still finishing it tho. Cards are more expensive outside the US, you know?

>I don't recommend it if you don't want it, the main combo, while durable, is a bitch to execute, compared to usual infinites

I’m already half way into collecting the parts, and I did want a Gitrog deck and a more competitive deck (than my Dragon Tribal Decks) either way. There’s a bunch of cards I own that I know my play group will let me proxy (fetchlands and stuff). I get the loops, I think, I’ll just need the practice pulling it off.

Might as well finish, and after a few times I don’t like it, I’ve got all the pieces to try something new later.

Thats like a really, really bad Bruna, isn't it?

As a weeb, what semi-competitive commander would speak to me the most?

Man, all my decks are artifact decks, and fuck I was pissed (and still am) with wotc not printing any artifact-matters-UR-legend in Kaladesh block.
Whenever is UR, it is always spellslinging. Fuck that shit.

Something UR so you can run pic related.

Kamigawa has some decent ones.

Found this in a old pile. If i understand correctly, this does counteract Ballista/Trike as wincons?

ikr? I settled on Nin as a way to use excess mana and she does meddle with artifacts in her art. Even Jori is ok if you can cast on other people's turns. Otherwise, just have to wait, they are taking right direction with that UR transforming land

>Thread Question
Dralnu actually, I run this as both my favorite deck, and my dick smasher for when someone gets a big head around my LGS
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/paradox-storm-doomtide-a-dralnu-tale/

Anyone have some spicy Gonti tech? I'm gonna reply to this post with my updated list as Gonti stole a few games last night, no pun intended, that he didn't deserve to win.

>You get touched in no-no places
I have no no-no places, I'm starved for the touch of another human being.

depends which brand of weeb

>so kawaii desu weeb
i don't know or care

>muh samurais and ninjas
probably some ninja tribal bullshit in dimir/esper

How do you make them different, if you haven't settled on a particular commander?

what's you favorite anime?

Yea, that, Urza's Armor, Orbs of Warding, Hedron-Field Purists, etc.
Aside from your pic, there are also "Sphere of __" for each color, but the color ones each prevent 2 damage of each instance that would be dealt to you.

Only thing is, none of these work if your opponent(s) have a Leyline of Punishment, Everlasting Torment, Flaring Pain, Insult//Injury, Skullcrack, Unstable Footing.

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"legendary creature" (e:sok/en or e:bok/en or e:chk/en)&s=cname&v=card&p=1

I think the most competitive commanders for each color is Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Azami, Kokusho(when he's legal), Kiki-Jiki, and Azusa. With other commanders being good for other strategies.

Monogatari

yes, I'd run urza's armor over it though.

As for the deck, I also tryed a Jori En once and was similar to yours, including the card you listed are on your to obtain list. I think I had more combos with Nim Deathmantle in. Also, try out Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal once you get Nin for wincon.
It's just my thing, but I prefer to reduce whenever possible the cost of my mana rocks, Trying to fit most of the cmc 2 possible.

yeah, then propably one of these or maybe a vampire tribal, there was a vampire themed precon last year.

Someone at my kitchen table already plays Vampires. I tried variations of Spirits but they never amounted to anything remotely competitive.

My fellow.
I wish I could get my hands on a candelabra, but normally paradox engine does the trick with the right critical mass of mana rocks.

SD Gundam

They are all different. Memnarch doesn't want the same things as Daretti or Sydri. They share a lot, sure, but in the specific, they are focused differently

unironically Neon Genesis Evangelion

I've got Deathmantle in my Gonti deck with Ashnod's and Grave Titan, which replaced Wurmcoil. Not only does Lord of Luxury need it more, I'm afraid that if I swap it with Krark-clan Ironworks in I wouldn't be able to resist just running Breya instead and get hated on. As for Isochron/Reversal combo, it was one of the few reliable ways to win with Grapeshot in my Melek deck, thing is it requires 3 slots (3rd is Muddle the Mixture, which I had to take out) and Isochron isn't particularly great when you only have 3 instants. Would consider it though. Another card I had to take out was Future Sight, which might return because of the Top. The combo I'm really proud of is Ugin's Nexus+Mechanized Production, because it really screws Simic guys at our table while incomplete and ends the game when done.

I actually owned and wanted to build all three, I even love Sydri's art, I just couldn't deal with the hate Esper causes and mashed the other two together. Might want to separate them in the future when it gets too tight. I'm aiming for Muzzio as a toned down version of Arcum for my mono-U though. I'd even try colorless. How is Memnarch doing in the command zone?

>Thread question
Got two. Niv has more survivability, so when the table is getting spicy with decks that go infinite or high power I'll bust him out. Animar for when I'm playing 1v1 or I feel like seeing if I can tank the entire table's hate long enough for him to go off. Karador ends up drawing a lot of hate too, I wouldn't say he's as spicy but hot shit is he resilient.

[soiler]Ghost in the Shell[/spoiler]

I'm the all artifacts fag

>Do any of you keep a high-power deck on standby for when shit gets real?
mono green selvala turn 3 deck
gw selvala stax

Muzzio is really fun. Kind of a gamble at the begining and then it just get rolling.
Memnarch is long time sitting in the bench, almost since 2016 when Breya came out and became my flag deck. Memnarch ran pretty well tho, even with all the hate he draws. Althou for the table is annoying as fuck.

How's Breya doing? Care to share the list? 4 colored deck trigger my autism for some reason, with their rainbowy manabases you have to look at all the time making sure you have the right amount of each

She's awesome. All the colors I already played, artifact themed, combo piece herself. I don't have a list in this moment, but I'm using a Premier I found in cedh long ago for a Doomsday Breya. I ran the Worldgorger combo, Bomberman, and Scepter Reversal, plus Lab Man for DD/Ad Naus.

I'm still missing ABUR lands and a couple of expensive cards, but I'll get them. It's just I have plans on moving on with my gf so...

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/primer-breya-doomsday-artificer/
This is the primer i'm using.

Obviously, this is cedh. I had her as a non-cedh before and still was pretty much winning t4-t5 consistently

Toshiro Umezawa is the most weeb

Alright, figured as much. I just thought she was kind of a testing ground for new jank. Not really going to throw money on cedh staples at the moment either

I just love how the only red cards there are Wheel, George, Wear/Tear and Gamble

Yeah, I know. A friend asked me the other day why I was using red at all. I told him it was not because of the red, it was because I have a wincon in the command zone that just wants some mana.

My stax deck isnt my highest power, but I keep it aside for problem players as if it were.

I tend to build low curve, high effeciency so stax is challenging, but not unworkable against in any color. Infinite combo typically makes you lose if you can't counter, and more pressingly, most infinite combo players I've seen flip shit at any interaction besides a game win.

FLCL

Bosh or Deretti for clanky metal masses and red access for cute shit.

I play new bruna and a board of horror-like angels is a beautiful sight.

Midrange I guess, the one that uses cards that are only good in commander. If a person clearly gives me leeway to do my thing while being able to defend himself from lethal strikes, it's the best. The boardstates and interactions are just awesome

>Just got Azami. From what I understand just stuff the deck with counters and draws.
Azami's Familiar, obviously.

>Thinking about buying the Kess deck since its only like 20 dollars
>Thinking about making a storm deck
Timmy here who's never played spellslinger, what do.
Also its completely viable to use tendrils in Kess right?

I like Candelabra a lot. Going full-on MuckTide and making an opponent draw everything is grand

You can, but a lot of Storm lists use Aetherflux now

Storm is not for Timmys. Are you sure?

Also is right. Aetherflux is the new best wincon for storm.

Playing Toshiro then.

I keep Gitrog the Land Combo Frog around to deal with higher power tables. Love the deck but it really does tromp anything that's not tuned to its level so I don't get to play it much. Still need a Bazaar of Baghdad but other than that it's got all the trimmings. I've got a 5 gal. jar that I've been throwing pocket change in to eventually make that purchase.

I feel like Toshi's been seeing a surge in popularity lately. Even I want to play him, but I know it'd be janky as shit. Either him or Horobi really.

>Bosh or Deretti for clanky metal masses and red access for cute shit.
not shitty or cute enough

I put a list together on tappedout, but the only way I'll know if it's any good or not is to play it against other people. Which kind of sucks.

Anyone building nezahal

>The UW Bruna player Traumatizes themselves

you, unironicly, should end your own life

I put nezahal in my Kami of the Crescent Moon deck and I think I might just make him the commander instead. He's a really great card anda solid commander beatstick

In celebration of images returning let's post some of these

Marchesa, the black rose is my big fuck you in my play group. Went with the "take your creatures, and now they are mine" route

Got the Template?

Nah, but I'm testing him in my patron of the moon deck.
I don't think it's going to be amazing, but I'll take it for the body and some draws.

yeh

>posts my favorite movie
>with one of my favorite commanders
Alright, you've got to post that list user.

I run this dude, and is 100% correct. You can run all the mana doublers in the world to try and compensate, but at the end of the day, Bruna grabs auras for free and Hakim doesn't. Not being in white is a pain too.

That being said, running a strictly worse version of a deck can be fun. Voltron gets pretty fucking boring, and you'll need to explain how you're activating him a bunch of times to people who've never seen him before.

Hitting people with an Eldrazi conscripted John Rhys Davies is priceless though.

I would, but it'd be a terrible idea in my meta.

Original GitS is pretty mono U artifacty (maybe a splash for thopter foundry) but SAC is more UWB control, and Arise is more strictly about those U/B headgames.

I'm building a Neheb deck.
I want to burn everyone while playing this in the background :
youtube.com/watch?v=A6cSbof7Pik
The main problem is the card draw.
Aside from some wheel effects, Commune with Lava and fun things like Fiery Gambit, red has nothing to draw.
What are some cool cards to not get stuck with a gazillion mana but no spells ?
Also any card that would make him more consistent is welcome.

good taste dudes, love Re-animator.

Here you go

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/volrath-fall-down-go-boom/

- Crow Storm, If unsets allowed
- Rise from the Tides & some instants and sorceries like Talrand's Invocation, Geist Snatch, Grip of Phyresis or Increasing Devotion
- Angelic Accord + Storm Herd + Benevolent Offering / Feudkiller's Verdict
- Anointed Procession + Chronozoa / Curse of the Swine / Day of the Dragons / Phyrexian Rebirth
- Darien, Rey de Kjeldor + First Response (dont touch me)
- Drake Haven + Decree of Justice / Migratory Route
- Evangel of Heliod + Deploy to the Front
- Field of Souls & Requiem Angel + Stitcher's Apprentice + Thraben Standard Bearer + Afterlife / Elgaud Inquisitor / Belfry Spirit / Doomed Traveler / Griffin Guide / Hallowed Spiritkeeper / Jötun Owl Keeper / Mausoleum Guard / Murder Investigation / Promise of Bunrei / Rapid Hybridization / March of Souls / Martial Coup
- Paradox Haze + Commander's Authority / Kemba, Kha Regent
- Sigil of the Empty Throne + Skywise Teachings + Spirit Bonds + Spirit Cairn + Vessel of Ephemera + Open the Vaults / Replenish

That's a really strong list user. I'm impressed.

Animation Module is one hell of a drug