A drunken genie wants to grant you one wish. But it's a very specific wish: You must choose a D&D class (any edition)...

A drunken genie wants to grant you one wish. But it's a very specific wish: You must choose a D&D class (any edition), and then you will be granted all the power/feats/abilities/bonuses/spells that class gets at level 20.

Which class do you pick?

Other urls found in this thread:

purpleworm.org/rules/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sorcerer, so I can choose wish as one of my six level 9 spells and wish myself more things every day.

/thread

All the way through 20? Or just 20, skipping all benefits from the other 19 levels?

all the way through

Artificer. I can start a magitech industrial revolution.

You gain the bonuses the class gets *at* level 20. So even though, as a sorcerer, you could choose to learn Wish, you only actually have a single 7th-level spell slot.

Cleric. All the people calling me a christfag will finally eat their words.

Of course, the problem is I probably don't have 19 charisma, so probably can't cast wish. Shame! Fortunately, I can also switch out spells, so I'll also grab an eagle's splendour and use that to buff myself up to casting levels.

Is that actually the intent? Because if so, that seems really weird and pointlessly specific.

A sorcerer actually gets 2 level 9 spell slots at 20, and 1 level 9 spell known.

Of course the bigger problem is the xp usage involved. Need to work in a slaughterhouse and fight animals in a duel!

Ranger or Bard.
With Ranger I could probably go to the Olympics and live off of sponsorship.
Bard I just fucking make some shitty trap songs and make money until that bubble pops then ghost write for other people.

Threaboos cucked again

Mystic, I suppose

All other casters have components requirements, which aren't an ability/bonus and wouldn't be included

Plus it comes complete with immortality

Really, if you want to be 100% pedantic, you only get the class feature "spellcasting" at 1st level, so you may get the knowledge of the spells but you won't be able to cast them because you didn't take the 1st level.

Shame!

If you pick Cleric,you never get a days rest.
All day every day you are in a childrens hospital

My first wish is for the genie to sober up before it grants any wishes.

kirby

But really Sorcerer

I pick Paladin so I can root out evil and heal people with a touch while having hp and defenses that let me survive bullets, laughing at all of the deluded bastards that think they have the einsteinian intellect or preternatural charisma needed to cast spells.

Yeah, you have Wish on your spell list. But you cant prepare it without 19 Int.

Look at your life. Do you honestly think you have 19 Int? Remember that the average is 10, so you can be Smart and still barely break 12.

So do yourself a favor and pick a class that lets you do cool stuff even with not great ability scores.

I feel like the most efficient use of your time would be finding and teaching other people, assuming understanding of magic allows you to share it.

>But you cant prepare it without 19 Int.
Have you ever heard about 5th edition of DnD? There are no stats requirements for casting spells.

You can even wish not to play D&D.

This

4e Swordmage

>monk becomes an outsider on lvl 20
>acquire a scroll of banish planar beings
>*PUFF*, I'm gone

So any of the early editions barbarian? You know, summoning thousands upon thousands of people as your army/levy/whatever the fuck you need fuckhuge manpower for.
Don't really need anything else than this one and I can literally skip everything else.

teach that they MUST be dressed as a turbo weeaboo for the healing to work.

The “Elf” class from one of the old editions.

Banish sends extraplanar things back to their home plane, monks become native outsiders, meaning banish doesn't work on them on the material plane

I'd choose Cleric because i want to go around become a fucking LIVING SAINT according to papal rules because just Create Food and Water en mass to either South America or Africa will make you one.

or literally walking on water or air is a miracle all its own

Wizard, 3.5e . May as well go for broke since according to statistics I'd be sitting at at least 16 int base (assuming 10 int average) and 20 levels gives me access to 5 stat boosts I just need to get to 19 int, make that magic item that breaks magic item crafting and snowball from there.

Is there any D&D class that's about civil engineering?
And I'm serious here

Could OD&D elves even reach level 20?

>Please try again.

Any class that gets you knowledge: architecture and engineering as a class skill would put you instantly at PhD level in several fields. Really any knowledge or craft or even profession skill in this case is way better than it is in game

Ok, you got genie out of wish-granting mood.

fifth edition rogue. as pointed out, this might be a skewed wish that only grants one specific level's worth of traits. If it is, the Rogues 'Stroke of Luck' ability (once per day automatically change any failure into a success) exists independently from other class features and prerequisites. So either I get a 1/day auto-success on an attack or ability check, or I get 20 levels of Arcane Trickster Rogue including the Stroke of Luck.

But I mean practical skills and possible related stuff, like this user mentined

Cleric, become a literal saint and convert the entire world to christianity as not even the most fedora-tipping atheists will be able to deny my literal miracles.

Until you run out of spells, and since most spells take less than 6 seconds to cast that probably won't be too long.

Wouldn't you also get the five points to atributes? That may help a lot to everybody wanting to be a caster.

In 3.x you could probably pull that off with either Artificer, Bard, or.... what's that one class that gets to fake being almost any other class? Factotum! That's the one. A huge skill-monkey class with a bunch of abilities that let it fake being any other class at like, a third their level. Their skill list literally just says "all".

>convert the entire world to christianity
Until Pelor, the god actually granting you power, gets pissed that you're converting people to a false faith and takes it away from you.

At that point it's too late though, because without me Pelor has no presence in the world and my job is already done. I'll just make up a story about my powers being taken away because the people started taking it for granted and didn't repent enough.

For the moment, I will assume the Wish grants only the level 20 ability of that class, and not level 1-20 worth of EXP of that class.

To me, the most obvious answer is 5e Cleric. At level 20, you can beseech your god to aid you with some action. Previously, you had to roll a percentile to see if it triggered. At level 20, it auto-succeeds. And it's a 7 day cooldown. So if used wisely you can literally become a walking prophet.

5e Barbarian has you get a flat +4 to STR and CON at level 20 and increases the maximum you can achieve to 24, which means you can basically become Hercules. Even with below average scores prior to it, they should become positive so you can live a healthy life at the very least for the rest of your days. Best case is you literally become the next UFC or Heavyweight boxing champion within a couple years.

5e Druid lets you Wild Shape an unlimited number of times, so you can basically Animorphs your way into being a superhero.

5e Rogue's Stroke of Luck has also been mentioned.

5e Warlock gives you Eldritch Master, where you pray to your patron for a minute and get all your Pact Magic back, which probably gets your around the whole, "you don't know how to cast magic" issue. Which means you probably become a superhero or supervillain.

5e Wizard's Signature Spell lets you learn two spells between 1st- 3rd level and cast them each once a day regardless of spell slots or if they are prepared. Which means you probably grab Fly and whatever else you want to benefit your life.

5e Sorcerer, no question. I don't even like the class, but there's no way I'm passing up the opportunity to basically literally become a god.

Profession or craft skills then

Clerics don't even need gods to get divine spells

Chirstiani...
>and didn't repent enough
Oh, so you are a Protestant fag. Burn in hell, heretic. No wonder you wanted to use magic, you fucking non-believer

Level abilities are cumulative. A barbarian doesn't lose his rage at second level and then regain it later

In which case the Barbarian also gets unlimited Rages, which only reinforces the whole notion of going for UFC or Heavyweight boxing champion with the stat increase.

>Have you ever heard about 5th edition of DnD? There are no stats requirements for casting spells.

How good is wish in 5th edition? Don't you get lower level spells at will in 5th?

I am only familiar with 3rd.

>So any of the early editions barbarian? You know, summoning thousands upon thousands of people as your army/levy/whatever the fuck you need fuckhuge manpower for.
>Don't really need anything else than this one and I can literally skip everything else.

How would that work in modern times?
>I shout THEY MAKE YOUR TENDIES, BUT THEY WILL NEVER TAKE YOUR FREEDOM
>horde of hairy manchildren appears.

He mere fact that anyone is arguing that you wouldn't get abilities from level 1-19 is frankly astonishing. Does anyone play DnD like that? Where you only have the abilities listed on the level you are?

If we're going to go with being limited by 3.x requirements then you immediately lose all of your class features when you become a paladin because you're probably true neutral like the rest of humanity.

Depends on the edition and setting.

It has more-so to do with the whole trope of Genie Wishes being either very literal or a monkey's paw of some horrible consequence of getting said wish. So people are trying to rules lawyer their way into getting what they want without getting fucked for having such a desire.

You get endless cantrips, everything else uses up spell slots like in 3.5. Some classes have special features that let them recover spell slots quickly, most need to res a full 8 hours.

5e's Wish lets you:
-Duplicate any spell of 8th level or lower
-Create any non-magical item of up to 25,000 GP in value, so long as it is no more than 300 square feet to a side.
-restore all hit points to up to 20 creatures in your line of sight and affect them with the equivalent of Greater Restoration (cures diseases, conditions, etc.)
-Cause up to ten creatures you can see to temporarily take half damage from one type of damage you specify (Bludgeoning, fire, negative, etc)
-Grant up to ten creatures you can see complete immunity from one spell of 8th level or lower which you name.
-Alter causality to redo any one die roll that just happened.

Downsides: After casting wish, casting *any other spell at all* until you've gotten a full 8-hour rest inflicts 1d10 damage (necrotic type) to the caster. Your Strength score also drops to 3 for 2d4 days and you roll percentile. There's a 33% chance you can never cast the Wish spell again, ever.

So, in 5e Wish is a pretty big deal. No XP cost, but pretty hefty penalties that discourage its abuse.

I think people are just working off that because 1) It's a genie granting the wish so they're assuming it's one of those "fuck you over" careful what you wish for genies, 2) It makes the question a little more interesting, with all of the class features picking anything but cleric, sorcerer, or wizard is just a waste, but when you only get your level 20 feature it becomes a harder choice

I'm with this user. Let's start an order and make our world good and lawful.

That's not quite right, those are just a few examples of what you can do, you can technically wish for anything.
Duplicating an 8th or lower level spell doesn't incur any of the penalties, only wishing for other stuff does that. You can Earthquake as much as you want.

You know, everyone here is speaking like they have grand ideas for the world. Like they wouldn't hate the work needed to accomplish what they want. Do you really want to change the world? Do you really want to go down in history as the man who made the world the way it is? Can you bear that responsibilty on your shoulders? When I really think about that question, the only answer I can really give is WIZARD BAYBEE! YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I'M READY TO CHANGE THE WORLD, I'M MOTIVATED!

Cleric, so I can go around to people who are sick and injured and cure them.

They say power corrupts but I feel like I could remain altruistic since I really do just want to help people.

FPBP

Open hand monk so i can roam free need no food, no sleep, no water and no money.

Barbarian - Just the MMA or other fight league and be a champion.

Or, a Psion.

3.5 truenamer. I'm drunk too.

Catholics/Orthodox are pagan pedophiles.

Pathfinder Lore Oracle. The final revelation makes you one of the smartest people in the world in all fields of study and you get wish once a day with no material costs. That's all I'd ever need or want in life and more.

AD&D Bard. Fighter, thief and druid abilities in addition to Bard stuff. Spellcasting is capped, but I'll be immune to the effects of ageing and live for another 200 years.

3.5 Monk
100% serious.

They only really suck compared to other classes and DnD monsters. Compared to fucking normies I would be a god. My normal human NPC stats don't matter for shit, since I have incredible saves, my base movement speed makes me naturally athletic (I did wrestling and track in school, so a lot of people would just assume I got back into shape and became an exercise freak). I don't even have to be that strong because my hands hit harder than a battle axe and overcome damage resistance.

Oh yeah I don't need the Barbarian rage to rule the UFC, I'll just swing my fists for 2d10 of metal smashing goodness. I would never worry about drug tests because none of that shit would even work on my body, I can trade bantz in every language, and have literally left my humanity behind. I stay in great physical and mental form for the rest of my life, so after I retire from fighting, I can honestly dump 23 ranks into Profession (writer) and have my memoirs become a global best seller.

Since I'm immune to poison and diseases, I can survive most assassination attempts. Explosions? Improved Evasion. Jumped by attackers? DR 10, wholeness of body, and abundant step away. Locked in some Saw bullshit? Break my way out and etherealness the fuck away.

Even with non-proficiency penalties, I wield most weapons better than anyone on the planet. I am, to the public, an unkillable god who can fuck up a room of people faster than SEAL team six. Regardless of my personal power, I am such a unique and newsworthy person that I can reach millions of people via social media.

Monks are weak? Monks are the peak.

Sha'ir. Then I'm bottling her and making her my slave.

You would become one of the smartest people in the world, and instantly realize a better wish you could have made. It would eat you up for the rest of your life, however much you could get out of your wish.

I completely forgot that shit existed. I might do binder or psi on then if non core is allowed

I'd say Dread Necromancer, so I can become an immortal lich. Even by pedantry version where you only get the capstone, I still get the lich template and all associated powers.

>But it's a very specific wish: You must choose a D&D class (any edition), and then you will be granted all the power/feats/abilities/bonuses/spells that class gets at level 20.
>Which class do you pick?
AD&D 2E Fighter. Awesome HP plus my own castle and army? Easy choice.

>b-b-but you didn't pick a caster who can wish for more wishes, s-stupid martial!
Yeah, about that...

>trusting the DM of this reality not to screw you over with wishes
Casterfags are retarded, but everyone already knew this.

You won't be proficient with unarmed attacks though. Unarmed attacks are simple weapons and monks don't get simple weapon proficiency. The guy that picked Druid laughs at you. He's proficient in unarmed attacks. He's proficient in the unarmed attacks of any form he's in. He can also use alter self to make his dick bigger. At will.

you only get the army if you have a castle. you'll have to go to Europe and take over a castle. then you get your army.

Mate, you don't even need wishes to break shit as a wizard. Just get magic item creation feats and rake in the cash until you get the cash to let you make that one item from complete arcane that lets you basically make all the items you wish

All day? Really? I can only cast inflict wounds so many times.

>you only get the army if you have a castle that you automatically get when you reach 9th level

Cool cool

You don't auto get the stronghold, I think. You were expected to build one or take over a dungeon. Clerics don't auto get the temple. If they build it, they get followers. I think thieves get a guild without having to build anything. Rangers just get followers. Can't remember if Psion's had to have a stronghold or not.

I'd pick Vatican City. Then hope for a cleric room-mate. A skyscraper should count, so maybe you could rent some office space and start a security company.

purpleworm.org/rules/

Any version of monk would be pretty dank

5e Warlock has some pretty neat shit
Alter self at will and the other invocations are great as well.
Ethereal Blast will fuck people up too, AND it will ignore body armor

Monk (female).
Then move to spain and begin a new catholic empire.

PICK A SPOT
NEVER EXISTED

Again, monks become native outsiders, which makes them immune to banishment. Only extraplanar creatures can be banished

Step One: choose Paladin
Step Two: bang the genie because I'm now a 22 Charisma HeroMan
Step Three: acquire weapons and armor
Step Four: punish the Koreans

Why the Koreans might I ask? Why not the chinese?

christfag

kek

иди нaхyй yeбaк

One at a time, user.

You can only cast cure disease a limited amount of times per day. How do you choose which of the millions of applications you fulfill? Even if you triage by severity there’d still be tons of people who die before getting their turn.

Godspeed, user.

I relinquish the wish.

>Do you honestly think you have 19 Int?
Do you honestly think you're Lawful Good?

>and you get wish once a day with no material costs.

5e rogue has a first level ability that lets you get expertise in any two skills of your choice that you are proficient in.

Have fun with your cancer caused by a disease spell mother fucker!

DEUS VULT!

Genie wish is narrative type wish with no limits, or only ironic or plot related ones. Wish spell is way more narrowly defined. Like you can't wish yourself into a 20th level of another class with a wish spell, or even a single 20th level ability from another class.

>unironically using "deus vult"

>Not taking back the homeland of the LORD from vile mudslimes
Cuck