What is about giants that make them such popular setpieces in dark fantasy?

What is about giants that make them such popular setpieces in dark fantasy?
Is there an implicit connotation of enlarged humanoids with lost glory?

>Giants
>popular setpieces in dark fantasy
Source: your ass

>dark fantasy
You mean dark souls don't you user.

Fantasy is read and written by small nerdy guys.
Small nerdy guys get bullied by big guys
Giants are the biggest guys.
small nerdy guys enjoy the biggest guys getting knocked down because the big guys never did.

It's not like there's any other real dark fantasy out there. DaS is simply a brilliant and rich setting that remains to be matched in terms of depth and darkness.

>nice and subtle. Just how I like my b8.

Have a (You)

Because you know what’s scarier than a mean guy who wants to get you? A REALLY BIG mean guy who wants to get you.

Racial memory about actual giants.

I wouldn't be surprised that was the real reason.

Hell, a lot of us probably started playing to escape reality and become the heroes we never were not ever will be.

They were only giants in their eyes because early man were manlets.

Scale.

UUUU

It's about the only thing you can get away with. Dragons, trolls, and other such monsters imply too much magic for a low fantasy setting. Giants are just big lads, and are often much smaller than in other fantasy settings.

Giants have been common enemies since Arthurian literature. In fact, giants were pretty much THE cliche enemy in knight-errant stories, which is why they're brought up so much in Don Quixote

>Starting to play more grounded heroes that relate to my problems lead me to better myself physically and become more like the person I wanted to be.
Give it a try. It might help you too.

So group therapy

What is about lizards that make them such popular setpieces in dark fantasy?
Is there an implicit connotation of exothermic reptiles with lost glory?

Swamps, marshes and you never know which one is packing venom sacs to the filthy fangs that bite

It's luxurious lustrous scales that you just want to run your hands over...

Fantasy is read and written by small nerdy guys.
Small nerdy guys get bullied by scaly guys
Lizards are the scaliest guys.
small nerdy guys enjoy the scaliest guys getting knocked down because the scaly guys never did.

You have to go back

New meme

Something like a dragon is fantastical enough that you can imagine pre-industrial humans killing it without violating verisimilitude too badly. But a Giant more strongly triggers the primitive parts of your brain which access danger. You more intuitively understand the enormous difference in physical capacity between a 60 foot person and a 6 foot person than you do a 60 foot lizard thing and a 6 foot person. As such, a dragon is principally used as a major threat to overcome, while a giant is used as an insurmountable force, as well as an indication that the player or protagonist is a tiny thing in a much larger world.

>i wonder who could be behind this post

Unironically this, I think it's the emphasis on the relative weakness and insignificance of humanity, or at least an individual human life.

Because giant ladies are the best fetish.

Do we really need to be reminded of Nephilim and titans?

>valiant teutons are the horde of bad guys
What is this althistory shit

The Teutonics were useful, for a time, but eventually they showed their true, traitorous, Christian-killing faces. Anyone saying otherwise is a historical revisionist, kurwa

I just know Veeky Forums will hate my take on it but the deep-seated reason is because giants are the oldest itineration of the uncanny valley effect, they are beings that look human yet are completely different things at the same time and to put a cherry on the top they are usually presented as very cruel to humans if not straight up man-eaters, essentially treating us as we would do with pests.

You reckon that's just a crucifix or an actually crucified dude hanging from his pommel?

I'm so glad I came back to this hellhole.

Actually crucified enemy.

I wouldn't say Giants are set pieces only in dark fantasy.
Literally every society on the planet has legends about Giants. It's common in lore that if a hero isn't killing a dragon/reptile, cat like beast, or chimera of somekind, they are probably killing a Giant (or some other big humanoid like a cyclopes)
The thing that makes Giants is that sets them apart, is that they are the most similar to us.
As a result in many myths they are used in the analogue of a hero using brain over brawn. It isn't as impressive when a hero outsmarts a feral beast. But a giant is similar enough to us that it becomes impressive when a hero outsmarts them. See Jack and the Giant Bean stock or David vs. Goliath.

>What is about giants that make them such popular setpieces in dark fantasy?

You mean "in the Bible"

Seriously. Nephilim. This idea predates Dark Souls, probably predates Christianity when we consider how syncretic it is.

>Tfw penis actually twitches a little

NO. NO NO FUCK YOU NO. DONT YOU FUCKING OUT THAT EVIL ON ME user

Why does he need a helmet? It's not like somebody can reach to hit him there.

Catapults, arrows, other giants, etc...

Bitch how stupid do you have to be? What's scary about a human who's bigger than other humans? They're different but familiar, they are strong but beatable, you generally have few so they're special - and this also lets you have 'oh, the tragedy to be the last of a dying species'.

It's simple, basic shit, dumbass.

The question isn't "why are giants good enemies" though.
A question like this implies "more than other creatures".