/5eg/ - Fifth Edition D&D General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What's the uniform for your setting's guards?

Depends on the region but the main one is pic related.

Is there any reason to use a whip?

in game, or?

Can't go wrong with coat button uniforms

I murdered a child by accident on session 0 last night.

What's the fastest a character has fucked up in a game you played/ran?

I was halfway considering making a kensei monk or something based on pic related, but there's not really any good reason to use one

kensai memes

On session zero? That's quite an accomplishment. How did you do it?

I need a last name for a giant samurai tortle.

Grock the ______ or Grock ____ ______

It MIGHT be interesting option for Rogue who multiclasses into something with martial weapons. But in general, weapons are not balanced about being equal. There are top weapons and... uh, weapons for NPCs or weapons you want to use after taking appropriate feat.

Also, whips are COOL.

It's the only finesse + reach weapon?

Grock the Unbreakable

How does that shield attach?

>Grock the Cock

Dwayne 'The Grock' Johnson

Spellsniper + Tempest Domain Cleric
Use booming blade with the whip

Grog the grog

I'm playing a character who uses a whip. It's quite fun. BM Fighter 5/Arcane Trickster Rogue 8 right now. Taking rogue levels are absolutely important because it helps offset your low damage die. Maneuvers give you more umph to what you're going to be doing with your whip which is hindering foes in battle.

Arcane Trickster is just one of the best Rogue archetypes. I was tempted to take Thief so I could one-hand my whip with Dueling and use a wand in the other when necessary.

For the optimal build, go vHuman w/ Martial Adept at 1st level, starting as a rogue. Then go Fighter 5 immediately after. You're not a frontline fighter. You're a smarmy dick who trolls the fuck out of your enemies and boasts significant OOC utility.

A tremendous misunderstanding of how booming blade works.

Max damage with my quarterstaff and max thunder damage. My party came across a bunch of magic students in the woods attempting some dark ritual with a deified chromatic dragon.

I was just trying to teach the rich little shit a lesson.

Fastest is I think four or five sessions in, party got into a fight with some religious zealots harassing a tiefling family. One of my more flighty players left the two soldiers alive near the family to try and help stop their boss from escaping. The soldiers took hostages and another player called their bluff. Only the dad and daughter survived, had to remind the players they asked for a world that seemed more organic and would react to their decisions. Only stopped playing because three or four months later because of unrelated issues.

The most eeeeeeeelectrifying tortle in sports adventuretainment

Reminder to report this duplicate thread and head on over to:

meant for

>less posters, less posts, further down the board
Sorry mack, this is the 'real' thread now.

Fuck off shad you can't even sage properly

Grog turtle fucker

sage only works if you put it in "every" field!

>session 0
>completely new players
>tell them they can do whatever they want
>before going on the adventure they take a stroll through the town
>one player hits on a noble
>through some deception he manages to acquire a guest room in said nobles estate
>thief player notices his talk with the noble
>follows them
>tries to break into estate
>gets in but alerts the entire guard doing so
>steals shit randomly, anything he can grab
>runs to the guest quarters, finds his friend, guards on heels
>whole guard suspects the friend because hes a complete stranger that was just invited in
>they barely manage to escape and flee the city

they've been gone for about three weeks now, can't wait until they get back

I'm joining a new group with a paladin, a blade bard and an Artificer. What should I play benefit the group?

This is the uniform of guards in the city the party is currently in. Plus a tabard with an eagle clutching a spear. Guards carry billhooks as weapons plus their swords.

Whatever you want

whatever whoever wantever

Well, I'm seeing two close-combat oriented classes so.....What do you want to play?

Any suggestions?

Wow. Was it a daytime smash-and-grab, or did they at least wait for nightfall?
Should be fun to see all of that resolve down the line. Hopefully for them as well.

Seems like a solid enough base, so long as you don't double up on paladin/bard/artificer you could be whatever you like and contribute meaningfully.

What are some good props to give players? Not like minis or terrain stuff. I've done maps and letters that look like actual old letters and maps, healing potion flasks and things like that, do you have any other nifty ideas along those lines?

I was thinking backrow but not a wizard. Cleric/ ranger/ swashbuckler

Depends, how are you generating stats? Array, point buy, rollan?

They have a pretty balanced set there. Maybe go like rogue in case the blade bard doesn't have good stealth, but in all honesty that team has all the necessities so you'd just be filling in for utility.

rogue or cleric or whatever you want

I want to entice my players with the Amber Temple and have it pop up in Chult. They managed to get on the bad side of Valindra and she will tell them to seek out the Amber Temple for the knowledge necessary. How is this?

If you don't roll stats you're a fag.
prove me wrong

pro tip: you can't

If you're totally dry for ideas maybe generate a few on WhoTheFuckIsMyDnDCharacter and see what jumps out at you.

if you've never played before cleric is fucking top tier

Point buy.
Thank you.

Hyper low intelligent ranger. Low as the dm will allow.

can I assume my druid have seen certain animals before the adventure started?
otherwise, do I have to "unlock" beasts by seing them in the game?

About to reach level 7 of oath of the ancients and get that resistance to spell damage.

Would it be overboard to take 6 levels of lore bard just so I can get counterspell and dispel magic so I can put wizard shits in their place?

I gave my players the option. two took point buy, two rolled lower than point buy, one rolled higher

>If you don't roll stats you're a fag.
well yeah but if you DO roll stats you're also a fag, so you're technically correct that we cant prove you wrong.

Any preferred domain?

How's this for a Celestial Warlock/Abjuration Wizard?

[Name] was a man of the cloth, as it was indoor work with minimal heavy lifting, with plenty of free time to read. One day during "prayers", a divine being visited him, granting him magical powers, and urged him to go out into the world, to do good and crush evil. "Bother.", thought [Name], "That's really going to eat into my reading time. Maybe if I get better at magic I can finish this quickly.". And so [Name] set forth, with conviction in his heart to do good and crush evil, with as little effort and risk as possible.

They're the only one-handed reach weapon and the only reach finesse weapon.

Thus, it has a niche. However, in actual play, it's shit.

If you don't start your characters at all 8s then you're a min max fag. Prove me wrong.

Protip you can't

I love rolling for stats, but with the way stats work post-TSR I can absolutely appreciate not wanting to go full-random on that.

forge, life for armor that, as a new player, i enjoyed.

life cleric has all the spells that you will cast built in. forge just seems more fun

>can I assume my druid have seen certain animals before the adventure started?
ask yourself and your dm this: How the hell would you have managed never seeing an animal as a fucking druid?

>WhoTheFuckIsMyDnDCharacter
Never heard of that before, just rolled "HELPFUL HALFLING RANGER FROM A LINE OF FALLEN ROYALTY WHO WANTS TO BE FAMOUS, NO MATTER WHAT"
that's going to be my next character

>ever getting on Valindra's bad side
They're fucked

Sorry for not being a munchkin like you, faglord.
I care about making a character that would be fun to play, not just a statblock that's trying to get the highest stats possible.

Group rolling for stats is patrician tier

Thanks you.

Xanathars has a section about this.

But yeah, when I played a Druid I spent an afternoon perusing the beast stat blocks and then looking up their environmental equivalents on wikipedia

Tempest is clutch. Perfect mix of offense and support play. Haven't had a chance to try Forge but it looks solid. Life and Light are great choices for support roles. War is a good if you want to be a Paladin but don't want to play one. Trickery is bad.

I need ideas on how to rework twig blights, I want to use more plant monsters but I also want to avoid using fungi. I like weirder ideas rather than by the book shit. Any help is appreciated

>He doesn't roll then cheat to get straight 3s
Powergamers never cease to disgust me

Does it work for story/character development reasons? If not then don't be that guy.

Yeah, pretty much.

I had an incident as a DM.

>players are steamrolling everything
>decide to throw 3 mindflayers and an intellect devourer at them as a boss fight
>they outright stomp the party because they are memeing and playing stupid
>intellect devourer takes over a player
>what the fuck
>they are all freaking out and etc
>tie up the gnome artificer
>hes rick, so he has a high alcohol tolerance
>they force him to chug a barrell of ale
>they roll a nat20 to "coerce" it out
>intellect devourer phases out of his head
>"vvomits" up the gnomes brain chunks
>the thief uses "use magic device" on helm of teleportation to try and teleport the brain chunks
>ill allow it... doesnt work
>the barbarian who is a carpenter takes out his saw and takes the top part of the artificiers skull off
>he proceeds to pour two greater healing potions and the brain chunks into the open skull
>he then glues the fucking skull and shakes it like a martini
>rolls a nat20 on medicine
>....
>the artificier moans and his eyes roll back into his head
>he is dead
>well, they pull out the djinn bottle and I fudge the rolls and let them get a wish so they can bring back their buddy
>"I wish to be the emperor!!"
>well Ive just fucked up this entire campaign

Does "we fight a lot of spellcasters and aren't that great at it" count as a story reason?

You could always just change the creature type of other things and just say they're plants.
And off the top of my head there's also Treants and Shambling Mounds.

Tomb of Beasts has a bunch of plants. I've never used any of them though

Why on Earth would you want to learn how to entertain people if that's your problem? Why wouldn't you think of the more obvious route of learning magic to counter theirs? Then again there's an obvious out right in the OoA description and oaths, I'll let you figure it out though.

They had a couple good ideas but in the end your players were just idiots that got their comeuppance.

But are they having fun?

Also, ...emperor of what, exactly?

Jesus Christ. Your players sound like spastics. And a wish? No. That's something that shouldn't be available until 16+ MINIMUM. A wish can ruin a campaign.

>in ToA campaign, my first campaign
>find shield guardian
>our druid torches the goblin offerings and we generally ransack the place
>we track four goblins to a nearby camp, ambush them, kill three of them, interrogate the other, then kill him
>go to Yellyark
>spend some time debating whether we should try and negotiate/intimidate them to get the amulet, end up deciding on a surprise attack after druid stealths the place as a squirrel, despite us knowing about the goblin children
>we sneak in and the first thing that happens is the druid torches the hut with the children
>we murder everything other than the children who escape into the jungle to probably die anyway, and take the village chief hostage as the whole place burns

I did broach the subject of morality, even though I'm playing a neutral barbarian, just to make sure the group was on the same page, before we went, and I tried to come up with various less murderous ideas, but we ended up just killing everything anyway.

are we That Group? Everyone seemed to have fun and the DM didn't seem concerned, and obviously my character doesn't give a shit about killing goblins, I just don't want to contribute to the problem, if there is one. As a newer player, I'm just not sure what the limits are/should be.

"Ok you aren't the emperor of of this civilization over here, that does dick all for you right now because you're in the underdark."

You can probably monkey paw the emperor thing, but the rest is your mess.

Is there any difference between incorporeal undead and nature spirit or soul.

Hilarious.

The last part is somewhat your fault, but i would probably do the same.

Yes. One's undead, the other's fey.

What's a good class for a total pussy?

you're the emperor of a small goblin village with six residents

congrats

Of an imperial government that ownsnall of the sword coast and is based in neverwinter

also the emperor is an elder brain

standard array > point buy = rolling

Bard

His brain is immediately added as one of the components of the elder brain.

Rogue. They fight dirty and they're all about slinking around.

im playing a thief for the first time
its so fucking boring
all i do is stab and i dont do as much damage as the warrior

thief is shit jesus

All his songs are about how much he hates wizards.

I basically killed that character that made the wish.. he was absorbed into an Elder Brain that is the emperor and mind flayers are controlling everything.

>not sneaking in, grabbing the amulet, then triggering the emergency defenses for a quick getaway

>thief is shit jesus
have you tried NOT being a retard?

rogue, hexblade warlock, or bard, but you can do some more fun stuff with it too

a tabaxi barbarian or monk would be a bit behind on ASIs but the bonus movement thing is strong, especially on the barb

standard array = rolling > point buy

elaborate.
also, by thief i meant rogue. i took the assassin tree, i keep saying thief instead of rogue

She's responsible for the death of big niggas like Bruenor
I Wish them luck, they'll need it

you're a thief. You're not supposed to shine in combat. You're supposed to be an asshole ruining encounters for your party by stealing shit all the time.