Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi Art

Post art, talk about settings, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussion.php?id=yvz10mguxpwqeliagehlm7ey
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
braeunig.us/space/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm all out of cozy dieselpunk shit from the last thread but I might be able to dig up some spaceships.

answering to:

My problems with soft science are:

>Hardly distinguisable from a fantasy setting
>Usually done as an excuse for lazy writers to just say "soft science, ain't gonna explain shit!"
>Therefore, also done to death for accesibility for both audience and author
>It also shows to people an imaginary world with rules that do not apply to ours, but they still understand as real
>To the trained eye, detaches the story to reality even more, forcing an attitude of "just turn of your brain bro!"

That doesn't mean that I only like Apollo 13 reenactments over and over again, I'm willing to accept some levels of suspension of disbelief but those levels have to come from our understanding of nature and with full consequence in the entire world.

For example: If a spaceship is accesible to everyone and can accerate to 10% of the speed of light that means that it's a planet destroyer projectile, how does a spacefaring society deals with this? Or, Ok we achieve inertial confinement fusion and although I'm not going to ask what was the solution to achieving it I'm going to ask about the energy output, heat, mass, volume and neutron(depending in the type of fusion we are talking about) this reactor has and where are it's limits in terms of resources and portability, and through that we see the effect of increasing the total avaliable energy to the human population and how this new development shaped the a power hungry world.

See, I want a spiderweb. It attachs to the world to support itself, every string is related to each other and everytime something comes to shake it the spider makes the apropiate changes so everything stays cohesive again every single where.

Biopunk time!

I really like like this one, is functional, doesn't fall under the stereotypical use of biopunk for body horror and even makes some sense in using modified octopuses as both bags and companions(they are intelligent and they have a big cavity for breathing, reproduction and excretion), it really fits the "changing nature to suit my needs" without going over the top.

And that's it from my part.

I would really like to see more biopunk around the sci-fi genre tho.

Specially mixed with rocketpunk.

Hey, I get ya. I like settings with lots of good explanations. But it's not an issue of "just turn your brain off", it's one of "think about other shit." Different settings focus on different things. If my sci-fi setting is even remotely hard then I want to know every detail about how my space ship functions. But if it's clearly going for "soft sci-fi" then I don't care at all, because I'm focusing on interesting characters and adventures and worldbuilding and shit like that. I know how the ship is supposed to work when I'm watching Star Trek, but I don't know or care when I'm watching Star Wars. What kind of power source does the Millennium Falcon use? Does anyone give a fuck?
The point is that you're handwaving shit to both achieve an aesthetic that isn't realistically possible (flying ships and floating islands, space wizards with laser swords, 50's pinup girls in hovercars), but also to say "don't worry about that stuff, it's not important" because you're focusing on other stuff that can be just engaging. Look at Dune, which is soft science fiction with plenty going on.

The issue is when you get ideas and focuses that are clearly meant for harder science but the creator doesn't want to think about shit. Like if you're jerking yourself off over all your super cool spaceship designs battling it out in space then yeah, you definitely explain how some of that works instead of handwaving it. But if your story is, like, a romantic comedy with a space war going on in the background, then it's just going to be tedious if you stop to explain the same things.

Have you tried Warframe? It's not quite what you want, I know, but it's probably the most prominent thing around now that captures this kind of aesthetic.

Anyone have any modern fantasty/cyberpunk/sci-fi art featuring musicians/bards?

The bodyhorror aspect is hard to get around so people tend to avoid it unless they want to evoke that feeling. I would like to see some tamer stuff though

That's a tall order, but I think you knew that already. I'll try and find a few.

That is assuming you want something overtly fantastical, of course, because a lot of 80's or modern-looking punk rock types could fit well enough in a cyberpunk setting.

Side note, the Warframe Octavia technically fulfills both requests and I was gonna post her to be cheeky, but nobody likes her so she doesn't get art. Oh, well.

That's all I could scrounge in the music department.

Thank you. I have what I need now.

No problem.

I'll let somebody else take over, I'm all out for now.

What am I looking at here?

M A C H I N E W A R

Titanfall's aesthetic is A+ for me.

I didnt like the look of some of the stuff in 2

The second game definitely dropped some of the straight military science fiction vibe of the first one in favor of "just through that shit in, it's cool", and I can see how that would put some people off, but they're both equally appealing to me.

*throw, have some more stompy boys for my mistake

The pilot designs were spot on but the new Titans and stuff like the reapers reminded me of Overwatch for some reason

>125X80
You fucked up senpai.

Ive got some good desktop backgrounds

Well shit

I've always loved the super round suits like this. Not sure what their proper name would be though.

I think this aesthetic largely comes from the Maschinen Krieger model kits from the 80's.

Shells

Not the original user, but I think the issue a lot of "soft" sci fi has is that it falls into the trap of "I have futurey science, so I can do whatever." It doesn't matter if the calculations behind the light-speed drive are based on sound mathematics, so long as light-speed is handled in a logically consistent manner. If relativistic weapons aren't being used to planet-killing effect, give me a reason why not.

Dolmantles from Prophet are the best. They adapt to any environment and don't feed on their owners or modify them in any way.

whys the smoking guy have a vagina for a face

It's a gal, actually.

>Have you tried Warframe?

Yes, but then I realized the ammount of grinding I had to do to get the bacon sword and octavia combo and simply left it out. Wasn't worth it just to LARP a few minutes a day for something that the game is not focussed on and no one cares.

A biopunk focussed game, evolva style would be neat, like system shock 2 from the worms point of view will be nice.

Meanwhile I will have to stick with my imagination, and GURPS, Splicers or homebrewing stuff for traveller.

STICK IT IN MY FACE

is the immediate aftermath of this scene.

It seems like you are saying that the desciption of how things work substract from the overall tone, but it doesn't have to be like that, the hammers slammer's book has more than acceptable(or at least more than usual) technical description of futuristic tanks, tactics and overall equipment without losing focus from being a military sci fi book, in fact I haven't seen yet any description of the space ship involved, but you sure will now that the tanks float because they have 8 fans under the belly powered by a compact fusion generator, that there is a tribarrel cannon that shoots 2 cm discs in high rate with enugh reach and destructive power to destroy incoming projectiles and air threats and a 20cm cannon that can work as a penetrator and as a fortification destroyer.

Now, take out the plasma weapons(the most bollocks part of it) and the rest still holds, with a miniaturized fusion reactor you can do exactly that; a supertank with air cushion, and the mass is taken into account too for every tank weights 170 tons and several times that huge mass is taken into account( a modern tank weights like 50 tons), another thing that throws me off is the hard on the author has for iridium; it has to be everywhere in the equipment, but still holds since iridium turns out to be a metal wihich only problem is density and price.

Now, I will apreciate this more than any other copy of Star Wars around, because I actually give a fuck about how consisten is your novel; not only within itself but with reality, and after so much time exposed to the dangers of lazyness as says, I have come to the idea that there has been enough soft science writers around without any idea of science and this has damaged the idea people have of science fiction

I would put a pic of a description of how in Rick and Morty, Rick is not a scientist but the idea people have of science and scientists, just to ilustrate further my point, sadly I don't have it, but you get the idea.

I like soft sci-fi that establishes a set of fantasy rules for itself and sticks to them for world-building.

One of the best examples of this, in my opinion, is Mass Effect. They ask you to accept a single fantasy concept:
>This stuff is called Element Zero. When a charge is applied to it, it generates a field around it that can change the mass of matter.
On its own that's just standard space magic, but what they do is use that property of Element Zero as a foundation for explaining all their advanced technology. Their guns operate by shooting microscopic bullets that have had their mass reduced so they can be easily accelerated to relativistic speeds keeping them lethal despite their tiny size, which (before the sequels butchered this) means that their weapons can fire tens of thousands of rounds and even fall into disrepair before needing a reload. This fact is even used in some dialog for emphasis, wherein a character describes playing a game of cat-and-mouse with a bounty hunter for so long that he actually exhausted his weapon's ammo supply.

The game describes how this property of element zero enables them to create force fields, use telekinesis and travel faster than light. Yes it's still space magic, but because they always tie it back to that property of Element Zero in a way that makes sense (at face value anyway) it comes across as interesting and a bit clever instead of just silly.

It was a shame they had to take a big, disgusting shit all over that kind of thing because the devs decided they wanted players to have to reload their weapons during fights for "tension".

>I would put a pic of a description of how in Rick and Morty, Rick is not a scientist

Just checked again, nope I didn't save it.

Also, if any kind user might have it I would be very thankfull if he posted it. I saw it in Veeky Forums a long time ago and forgot to save it, but it was a very interesting post about Rick and Morty and how it shows that people get the wrong idea about science and scientists

that gun cannot be comfortable to shoot

Rocketpunk?

Old school rocket tech. Chemical propellants, fission power, and having to use your own slide rule and a notepad for calculations because your head is the best navigation computer you're going to get.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussion.php?id=yvz10mguxpwqeliagehlm7ey

Is a subgenre deep seated in hard science fiction in space, where spaceships actually obey the laws of physics and have to account for things like deltaV, mass, heat, power, orbits... the usual aesthetic for this is 1960s-70s golden NASA era with utilitarian white ships travelling around the solar system doing good stuff.

It's not rare to see that authors restrict computer development to give more weight to human interaction and space exploration in this subgenre.

Now, the idea is to mix the hard science of rocketpunk with biopunk, as to have realistic bioships(I'm still at it, just too busy with uni tests right now, but I have had some interesting developments along the way).

So sort of like Cowboy Bebop where all calculations were made on the spot correct? Always loved those, criminally underrated, glad i can put a name to this, thanks

>Cowboy Bebop

Well, in aesthetic maybe, just imagine that Cowboy bebop never had a space fighter, there were several radiators coming out of the engine and maneuvers where mostly done by inserting parameters in a console to do velocity changes and altering your orbit more than just airplane fighting.

Planetes is far more fitting.

i was thinking of that NASA shuttle episode when i said that, yeah looking back probably not the greatest example

Cowboy bebop was a bit more modern but quite close to the feel. They had fusion tech and decent computers, though.

Even planets is more advanced, since while they limit themselves to mainly what is possible today, what is possible today is still more advanced than Rocketpunk tends to have.

Think Robert Heinlein, stories like The Rolling Stones.

Protomechs done properly

How is the whole battle royale open map thing going on?

Does it deserve a second coming?

>It seems like you are saying that the desciption of how things work substract from the overall tone, but it doesn't have to be like that, the hammers slammer's book has more than acceptable(or at least more than usual) technical description of futuristic tanks, tactics and overall equipment without losing focus from being a military sci fi book

No, of course not, how could it? That was my point. I expect my *military* sci-fi to explain the little details, but at the same time I'd get annoyed if Guardians of the Galaxy did the same. It depends entirely on what kind of story story you are trying to tell.

>It doesn't matter if the calculations behind the light-speed drive are based on sound mathematics, so long as light-speed is handled in a logically consistent manner. If relativistic weapons aren't being used to planet-killing effect, give me a reason why not.

I totally agree except for that fact that in a very soft sci-fi setting, you tend not to need a reason why not. Handwaving is assumed. If spaceships aren't being used as relativistic weapons, then they probably can't be, and I accept that there's a reason for that which doesn't need to be mentioned.

It's only when you break that internal consistency, e.g. suddenly deciding you can use your light-speed drive to kamikaze an enemy ship after 7 movies, that you got some splainin' to do.

The problem with rocketpunk (like most "-punks" besides steampunk) is that nobody is really on the same page on what it means.

For some it's sci-fi with a 60-70's NASA, Apollo mission type aesthetic, white-painted spaceships crewed by astronauts who do trajectory calculations with a pen and paper, duking it out in space or discovering new worlds.

For others it just means super hard space sci-fi with no bullshit handwaving, cigar-shaped spaceships without FTL capability zapping each other with lasers from distances measured in light-seconds.

Jump Infantry, too.

Depends on how long ago you first tried it. If you played it a couple updates ago and weren't into it then that probably hasn't changed, but if you gave it a go when it first came out or a few years ago then it's definitely worth a second look now.

Like says it's still horrendously grindy, but the base gameplay is entertaining enough that most people don't mind, as long as you don't go in trying to get to anything in particular.

If you're into that kind of thing this is an excellent resource:
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

>spaceman with a sword
this pleases me greatly

It does have a way of saying "This guy's on a hell of an adventure."

I love the contrast between high tech shit and classic fantasy, like these druid ass motherfuckers right here, you know theyre going to fuck some shit up

>projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

Oh God, the bible of hard science fiction, all praise the Chung for he could achieve what 6 decades of best sellers in classical science fiction ever achieved.

I fucking read that like a holy text and usually come back for updates, sources or "for that 200 pages pdf that I'm sure I will read someday".

If we go down this line I also recommend

braeunig.us/space/index.htm

It's like projectrho, but harder, with problems to solve on your own and going into even more fundamental levels(Chung never actually explains how to deduce the deltaV equation for example, and after reading it, it's absurdly simple logic)

And those two are the only resources I know for this stuff. I blame the "for every equation you put you lose half your audience" mentality.