Hexblade Warlock Patrons

What could be some good Patrons for a hexblade warlock. I don't really know much about the shadowfell, and don't want to use the Raven Queen. I was thinking with just going with the greek Goddess of Chaos Eris, even though she is not in shadowfell (that I am aware of).

The Shadowfell is a that place between heaven and hell. An area of shadow that all souls must pass though in order to reach their final end point. As such, it is aligned with death, endings, but interestingly enough not with Undeath. Undeath seems to be anathema to it. yet there are many undead there.

So Vampires lords, dead gods, Arch Liches, the grim fucking reaper, An ancient shadow dragon, A true Neutral Outsider connected to judgement, or death.

Any of these would work.

would Nyx work?

i just came up with a custom patron with my gm that fits my story well

I didn't know what would work which is why I came to ask here
thanks for the input and help friend.

Have you asked your GM/DM? He might have ideas to tie into the patron into the campaign

Since we're on the topic of warlocks, would it be possible for one to find a way to steal parts of another being's soul to replace that which was lost when he made the pact?

Well, some ideas that immediately come to mind:
* One of the Sorrowsworn, the demigod-like entities who maintain the cycle of life, death and rebirth.
** Vorkheis, the Master of Fate, the Sorrowsworn who reaps the souls of the greatest heroes and the mightiest villains, and resembles an eyeless shadowy demon with an amputated left hand.
* The Dread Emperor, mad and malevolent archmage.
* Prince Rolan the Deathless, unaging ruler of Gloomwrought.
* An archlich.
* A powerful Incanabula from the Shadowdark.
* Vecna.
* A powerful Vistani mystic.
* An ancient ghost.
* The last surviving mummified priest of a now-dead god/dess.
* Nerull.

run it by your dm

Possibly. Remember that the Majority of warlock patron's are below God status. Looking at other warlock patrons they are things that are between CR 10-20+. I would consider that a good way to look at it. Nyx, might work if they are a "dead" god. I put dead in quotes because in D&D a god cannot truly die, but they can be stripped of all of a lot of power, confined, contained, reduced to a shadowy presence in people's minds.

But anything inherently Magical can make a pact with you. Even if that thing it's self cannot cast spells. Like the Dragon, or the Grim Reaper, or possibly the Vampire.

They have a direct connection to magic (dragons have an innate connection to it, so do vampires) which is why the celestial pact (godly pact) warlock makes it's pact with an angelic being or demi-god.

I prefer the idea that you've made it with an artefact or other powerful weapon, like Blackrazor or the Sword of Kas.

that brand is way larger than the mark on his hand

>I need a patron for my magic summonable weapon that grants me magic powers.

It's been by your side all along. Your guiding moonlight.

No joke, I almost wanted to play a warlock and have Kosm be my patron. Only to piss my buddies off.

Ahh, Kos... or some say, Kosm...
Do you hear our prayers?
Grant us eyes, grant us eyes!

The entire Raven Queen thing is overhyped. Hexblade should be about the blade itself like the Witchblade does. Something that is permanently grafted to your body until the pact is done.

The latest Blue Beetle comes to mind.

What would your weapon be?
Giant placenta?
Tentacle?
Moonlight Greatsword?
Sword made from your own lifeblood?

yeah my gm is actually tying the patron into the campaign as well and he told me it fits perfectly but so far all we've done is kill a couple bears so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out

Who says you're trading pieces of you soul to make a pact? That's not part of the flavor text for any of the patrons. Pacts can be anything from an explicit contract for power in exchange for service to uncovering a secret formula for stealing power from an unwilling or unknowing source.

If you DM has introduced new material about slicing off parts of your own soul to make a pact, you need to talk to them about it.

The Lich Vecna or even his slayer/lieutenant Kas would be fucking rad. If you're not so evil you can be taking power from Vecna by his design to slay Kas.

I assumed that Hexblades made pacts with actual demonic swords but maybe I'm stupid.

I like fluffing it as ancestor spirits

Why did 5e remove the demon pact? the demon/devil distinction is real and both are viable

Really I think separating it by origin's more of a mistake. It should be more based on theme. Like the Hexblade, but you could also have a slime pact (with Juiblex (a demon), ghaunadar (a GOO), or Bwimb (an elemental), an evil eye pact (with hags, beholders, cyclopes, or formorans)

What is this, pact of the frigging horcrux?

Basic stupid 5th ed warlock question. How do you tell what level spells they get as they level up? I think it says it's equal to your spell slot level but that only goes up to 5? Please and thank you.

Yeah, pact magic only gives you spells up to level 5.

After that, Mystic Arcanum kicks in. At level 11 you get a level 6 spell, a level 7 one at 13, etc.

I just personally looked up magic swords, and formed a Patron out of that. This is what I personally came up with:

The Mournblade, AKA Tyrfang, AKA Juuchi Yosamu

The Mournblade is an artifact tier weapon, forged by some great being in the early days of Creation. She is the "forge-sister" of Blackrazor.

Where Blackrazor devours souls and lifeforce, Mournblade's power is simpler: she cuts. Everything. Her blade, when wielded, is not impeded by magic, armor, hide, nor, it is rumored, divine protections. A blade that could cut Gods.

however, the Mournblade has another...element, hinted at in her name: those who wield her or draw on her power rarely receive happy endings. There is always a catch to her powers, and the catch is always grim. Sometimes her power cannot be released until it has drawn blood, sometimes, her power will fail you when you need it most, and sometimes it will harm those you hurt most dear.

She is the Perfect Double-Edged Sword. Her power irresistible, her edge unstoppable, and her bearers...doomed.

That should be "harm those you HOLD most dear" not "hurt".

For my character, I made her a mostly benevolent patron, in that she likes my character, having been the patron of my character's bloodline for generations.

Which, given that my character's father vanished when he was young, and most of those previous generations' bearers also go missing, my character has concluded means that, at some point, she kills you.

He's mostly resigned to this, essentially viewing adventuring as a way to pass the time before she takes him.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with a weapon warlock. Eldritch blast could be Augur of Ebrietas, but as Pact Boon, I'd have gone with the book.

It's still there. Just as a separate patron. Honestly, Hexblade is probably what Pact of the Blade should of been.

Thank you

Yes it does. Holy Moonlight Greatsword specifically was found in the labyrinth, Ludwig saw dancing motes only he could see, they guided him in his hunt. That sounds like a weapon & patron right there.

If you want tentacles you could have a whip as a weapon, & some old one is your patron. Honestly the idea that your weapon is your patron is the one thing holding Hexblade back. Just fluff a regular patron as your patron & have them focus on the blade & fighting aspect more. Like a demon's blade that steals the souls of the people you kill & sends them to he'll to work for your demon boss

Or a face Queen infighting a Warlock & binding them to her service, she gifts him a quicksilver sword that goes snickersnack

It isn't hard

Sounds kinda broken desu

Sounds like fluff to change patron or to become stronger than your patron at high level.
As fluff, it doesn't have to mesh 100% with the mechanics, ask your DM he might go for it!