WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth, that's HERESY!!!

>WIP Secret Santa unboxings
imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>WIP Secret Santa Poll:
strawpoll.me/14692516

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldline
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

First for a very, very quiet afternoon.

Second for Temporary Paintstation while I'm taking care if my grandma.

Finishing up a Breacher, a Gue'vesa, some Fire Warriors and some stealthy bois, need to start on these two Noise Marines a friend gave me.

Also big thank you to the secret santanon that sent me the Winsor Newton brush, its the kitty's titties

Bit fuzzy on the photo, going for red and silver on the T'au?

Can anyone recommend a good way of emulating a "Stealth" grey/black for a Darkwing Stormeagle?

Just on the stealthy bois. All my Stealthsuits have unique markings, most are the old school muted red and leadbelcher. The rest of my army is a bit more flashy.

depends on the finish you want.
Taken from the FineScale Modeler forums:

Tamiya Light ghost gray on the leading edges..
Medium gray over of the surface, and gunship gray for the dark places..
(or acrylic equivalents, Vallejo Model Color is bound to have close matches)

For the faint metallic sheen some variants of the aircraft have it gets complicated....
The only recipe I've found so far involved Humbrol solvent based paints mixed with Alclad metallic MEK paints, which is not the sort of thing the average painter here will have access to.

So, /wip/, i wanna paint Lovecraft-style (horrors that come out of the mist fog) DG, but don't know what colors i must use. Thinking about grey with silver armor, but not sure. Your opinion?

Something that would blend in with the fog, so greys are probably a good idea, on the metals I'd go for something a little darker than a pure silver.

The F-117 is just black. So no real trick to it, just bloody hard. One option is to basically just paint it dark grey, and then add thin layers of black wash until it's suitably dark, but still showing some highlights/shading.

The F-22 and F-35 are painted in grey, but with a lot of metallic particles in the paint resulting in a finish that sometimes looks like a dull grey, and sometimes like kinda shiny metal. Probably easiest to paint by just mixing something in the iron/silver range into your greys of choice.

Hi /wip/, im trying to decide what colours to do my mangler squigs, any suggestions?

I seem to have lost all interest in painting lately. I was so hyped for a long while with my Minotaurs, and was pumping them out at (for me) a prodigious rate.

Now though, I look at the half finished squad on my desk and I just can't be arsed. How do I reclaim that fire, that drive? I tried switching projects for a while, but all that led to was another model half finished.

I'm starting to think my creativity comes in fits and bursts, and that for these projects I might be empty.

Finished my second chapel rhino today, now I can field my unholy trinity. What are you guys working on?

I find my motivation finds me, not the other way around, after I sat down on my painting table.

o/

just wanted to say im a huge fan of this army, you are really talented. Love seeing such a cool word bearers army.

To the user who posted these last thread, can you explain how you painted them? did you use the colourful plaguebearers guide or come up with it yourself?

That is how I did it, although I didn't do it as well, obviously.

May be VERY rusty metal? Or what kind of defect silver can have?

silver oxide is basically flat black.
Which is why old silverware becomes really dark until you polish it back to bright silver

I can see rust work, but darker, wet rust, not the bright orange dry rust.

Like mixing ryza rust and nuln oil?

To the user with the blue-camoed Scion's army, thanks for telling how you made those crusaders. They are amazing.

>colourful plaguebearers guide

Obligatory.

Fucking hell, my dude.

to the user with blue-camoed Scions, thanks for the idea for my star wars themed project. will post pics of some progress shrotly

Farsight Enclave test scheme.

Any thoughts?

Obviously heads still WIP

>Mfw people use and repost my guide
Goddamn I wish I could paint during the week, waiting for the weekend is killing me.

ah good to know but hey user dont sell yourself short i think they look awesome! ive wanted to give that guide a shot actually on some zombies and not plaguebearers but wasnt confident that itd work well, but yours look awesome, i will definitely give it a shot

oh damn! well thanks for making it . For the first colours after the undercoat did you use airbrush or manually brush it on ?

What are the smallest magnets they make? I bought some 3/32 by 1/16 but now I'm seeing they make 1/32 by 1/16th.. before i get them, do they make any smaller or is 1/32x1/16 the smallest? Working on lychguard if it matters

Yaoi Hands are grotesquely oversized hands popular in yaoi comics. I don't know where the trend started or why in god's name it's still a thing, but apparently it has a decent-sized audience.

Return of the Red-guy

The Imperium strikes back

A New Idea
(group shot. any comments on these would be nice as its probably my first cool kitbash idea i think)

Saved for future Gue'vesa projects

Do you lads paint black over a black spray basecoat if you want the final colour to be black anyway?

Does anyone have any scale 75 paints?,
Trying to find what Moonstone Alchemy, Amber Alchemy, Citrine Alchemy look like.

A while ago i found a conversion of a Custodes Vexilla into an iron warrior Herald/Vexilla similar to the image one,someone remember where was the tutorial? On a blog? On facebook?

The base coats were airbrushed but all the airbrushing is just flat colour so you can just as well use a normal brush.

No clue if that'll work, but isn't the Typhus Corrosion a better fit? So maybe a base of Typhus Corrosion with some Ryza Rust as "spot highlights".

Moonstone and Amber Alchemy are at the right.

And Citrine is towards the middle on the Gold row.

These get considerably nicer when airbrushed on a darker base, they don't really work all that well over white (like the stickers I used here), so you'll get a better finish on a model, these are just swatches.

>Finally ordered all the parts I need for all the different projects I have in mind
W-will you guys help me choose which one to go all in on when I have the testmodels done?

Yeah, you and a bazillion other fuckers in every creative pursuit ever. Writer's block, loosing your muse, whatever. There's no fix for it. You can sit down, shut up and paint anyway, or you can wait and see if your drive and motivation returns some day. That's it.

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of Brass Scorpion over Retributor Armor? I can't seem to find any.

First squad almost done, only the sergeant left, I think they're ok (never painted anything else) but I'm going slow as shit, spending around 5 or 6 hours per model, any general tip I could use to improve?

Sounds nice, thank you!
So - grey armor (like pre-heresy SW), wet rusty metal, palid tentacles, dried blood - must be nice?

sounds properly ghastly, as DG should be.

Im painting mephiston red over black, i need 3 coats to get a decently even covering. That means im thinning too much right? I shhould aim for 2?

ah cool, thanks mate

Thank you so much user!, I was looking at Citrine alchemy for a final highlight for old gold from vallejo, but now I'm interested in starting again and trying necro gold as a base.

WIP for Ulrik the Slayer. Need to get it finished my this weekend for a painting contest, though work is still needed...

Keep in mind that there's some green in Necro Gold, that will influence the final result.

You know your stuff user, I'm trying to do a dark gold colour scheme for my custodians.
And I'm stuck on the final part. ATM I'm going Blighted gold (P3) shaded with strong tone and then reapplying blighted gold to the flat/unshaded areas and then a highlight of vallejo old gold.
but I'm stuck on the final highlight and been searching for weeks for a colour. atm I have two possbilities but there really not the best. on the left is radient platnum from P3 and on the right is just Vallejo gold.
Any tips, will Citrine or Peridot work?

I forgot to link the image.

Anyone want to recommend a paint scheme for my blood warriors?
Would dark metal work with a bone effect trim? Would leadbelcher look bad with carroburg crimson wash instead of nuln oil?

Peridot Alchemy is greenish as well, I would assume it'll play nice with Blighted Gold, which just like Necro Gold is tinted green.
Citrine Alchemy is quite yellow, which Blighted Gold definitely is not.

Looks good indeed, like I said here Peridot is probably a good bet, maybe even finish off with a tiny, tiny bit of a silver or a brighter gold as the peak highlight.

Thanks mate!, it fucking sucks that the only two people who sell scale 75 in Austarlia are out of stock and aren't getting any in till mid feb fucking hell.

That sucks monkey nuts indeed!

painting this stormraven i bought second hand, already turned into deathcompany, still need to add more deathcompany markings, paint the weapons, paint the engines, finish drybrushing, paint the aquilas, fix all the mistakes i made while drybrushing all while trying not to fail my courses

Nice and clean, good job user!

Basecoated all big stuff, need to clean it up before I continue shading and drybrushing.

I'm not sure what to use for shading, either agrax earthshade or seraphim sepia for the beige and agrax or nuln for the metal. Agrax on everything will get a dirtier look which might be neat.

Painting Storm Troopers, should I use Nuln Oil or Agrax for my wash?

Helps to include a picture...

Looks good.

I do mine with grey fatigues but anything is better than the black/red combo gw does.

Nuln oil for metal, Agrax for everything else.

>taking photo in a fridge is common Veeky Forums practice
>user makes fridge to take photo of
fridgception

Would you classify storm trooper armor as metal?

nuln is nice, because black works with basically every colour

Yeah, I'd go for it. Make sure you use Agrax for their fatigues beneath it though.

>Would you classify storm trooper armor as metal?

He means use Nuln Oil on metallic (really, steel or silver) paints, and Agrax Earthshade for just about everything else. There are some pretty big exceptions, though - those aren't the only two washes in the Citadel line. I personally like Seraphim Sepia on bright shiny gold things.

The specific answer to your question is that Stormtroopers wear carapace armour. This could be anything from heavily reinforced fatigues (think 21st Century spec ops ladz), to armaplas or plasteel suits, to a ceramite breastplate worn by a commissar or inquisitor. I'm sure there are units in there with metal armour as well.

That makes Sense. The White with black in the crevaces will look nice enough.

I had some empire models that I abandoned when whfb died. Starting to pick back up on them fo AoS. Got more guards on the way. Can't find any handgunners

Almost finished painting a tabletop quality fyreslayers army for a tournament for the weekend (30 hearthguard not pictured) will work on them more after the tournament for details

Posted in last thread but only had one response;
Tried this to practice chevrons for Iron Warriors, looking for advice to improve

That's impressive.

looks really nice user, very aged and weathered colour tones

I was thinking to myself "Is the Scalecolor logo font taken from Discharge or what?" and the paint names on the bottom row kinda seal it for me

Cool.
Have you considered 9th age?

Not trying to sell myself short, it's just that this dude did amazing on the blending and washing while keeping the colors right.

Just got one of these recently and i'm looking for a decent square/rectangular base to stick him on. Anyone know of any good scenic bases big enough for him that wont end up costing more than the miniature itself? The stance is about 90mm wide while the hammer goes out just more than 50mm.

This emery board is leaving very fine scratches where I'm removing mold lines. It's gonna be okay, right?

What do you do to keep the stripes consistent in angle & thickness?

Trial and error really, a lot of messing up and retrying. I try to do the line edges first, then make sure the rest is properly done

Why not try a scalpel and shave them off instead?

anybody have any experience with Forgeworld powder paints? I wanna try dusting up my krieggers but i don't want to over-commit

I assume you mean their band logo?
'cause Discharge is British, the paint is Spanish...

wow these are fantastic might I ask how you converted the land raider to fit those doors and stairs?

I mean, yeah, I have an exacto knife. Will I need to fix these pieces though? The scratches just give it a slightly dull appearance; you can't really see them.

anyone know how to make those pill bottle tubes? I want to try suspending something in one and using it as terrain

Depends how deep they are, paint would probably fill them in desu.

Why would you buy FW
get some AK pigments if you want to add dirt and dust into your cracks

i don't know, i've never used dirt dust paint so the only ones i knew where from FW

No matter what it is, there's a cheaper and better alternative than GW or FW
no exceptions

i'm collecting krieggers, i fully know my chinamen

If they're not deep scratches, they should fill in when you prime the model.

I use the back of an exacto blade to scrape mold lines. It works pretty well and minimizes the chance of accidentally cutting into the model like using the blade edge does.

Edge highlighting is hard. Probably something I'll need the most practice at, but probably the thing that'll make it look the best.