EDH/Commander

Weird Edition

Previously: →

RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What was your first cool card to you that you remember opening?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-01-18-patron-of-the-moon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I began playing when Rise of the Eldrazi came out, and in my very first booster I opened a Emrakul, which I traded instantly for a bunch of cards.

I remember those days well.
>just learning to play magic
>open this sick motherfucker
>playing with reflecting pool as another mountain
Anyone find that as you became more familiar with the rules and gotten better with deckbuilding/playing, it's actually gotten less enjoyable?

>thread question

a foil gishath

...i started in november :\

I still remember when I opened Cemetery Gate together with my brother. The artwork was hella cool.

>Anyone find that as you became more familiar with the rules and gotten better with deckbuilding/playing, it's actually gotten less enjoyable?

That's always how it is, man

The best part of Magic is discovering all of the cool (and generally older) cards. I still remember coming across Necropotence and the Illusions of Grandeur/Donate deck and thinking it was the coolest thing ever (I still think it is!).

that's pretty cool tho. having a good time with the game so far?

Foil delver of secrets, I still have that card. I love how it looks and it's from when i started playing

anyone have that Webcomic about a girls that wins a duel using 10 cheatyfaces, after a combo using skyshoroud Behemot ?

i cant find it.

Could you sacrifice the demigod with his ETB trigger still on the stack and let him bring himself into play?

Nevermind, it doesn't work

If Im remembering my rules right, because he says play and play=cast the short answer is no.

RB Wort. Goblins have a lot of good support in black.
>Skirk Ridge Exhumer
>Earthblighter
>Cabal Slaver
Plus all the things from Lorwynn.

Thorn elemental. He probably was an auto-include in 7th edition starter decks, but yeah, super trample plus the badass card art and I was hooked.

i took up playing again in an office group and it's... okay. Played with a greasy dude that kept grabbing priority to Top, reminding us every turn to pay up for Rhystic study, played pic related early on that ground the game to a halt.

then he told us "I don't play with unfun cards"

Pic related after i bought a 75card box because 10 years old me was amazed by the Lightning Dragon art on the box.
He just look so happy to be here.

This right here. Soon I was like "What the fuck, why is there a Damnation in white, the effect is so black"

I saw someone brought up Bosh in the last thread. How does he play as far as artifact commanders go? It seems like it'd be fun to chuck fridges at people. I've wanted to do artifacts for a while but I don't want to cough up the cash for the manabase for Sydri right now, Daretti seems overdone, and Karn would be fuck off expensive just because I would need all of the premium artifacts for colorless to work.

Well, seems you've kept that spark alive for the most part. I've gotten to the point where I feel the need to make a new deck every week just for it to stay interesting.
No, but this was pretty sick. Say you have 3 demigods in the grave and they counter the 4th, you still get the other 3 back.
That's rough, buddy. Come across those sorts of people every now and then, but nothing's forcing you to play with them.
People that spin top while stopping everyone else constantly are annoying as hell Reason why the card's got such a bad rap in the format.

I fucking love everything about Time Spiral block.

He is a wonderful artifact commander. Daretti is more powerful, but Bosh is more fun.

yeah i'm loving the game, but all of my playgroup has been playing for years. i miss a ton of triggers and take long turns, but i think i'm improving and learning a lot every week. i still get my head beat in 80% of the time though. hopefully that number comes down eventually.

That's great to hear! No worries, sounds like your head is in the right place. Keep having a good time and you'll improve in time, definitely.

i tried google but nothing just a little help plz

I haven't opened much packs in my life but one of the first products I ever bought was the Izzet RTR Intro deck and this mofo was the cover card. He's on all URx decks I ever played, and he basically dictated my love for UR.

Everyone needs to start somewhere, no shame on that.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Time to build the Iron Giant.

Is it possible to play UWx control with a non-combo wincon?

I don't get it.

Pulled a foil one of those from a Planshift booster at a Draft back in 2001. So I would have been... 13? Thought it was pretty awesome to get a foil that was the same as the art on the booster. Still in my binder.

I'm assuming it means his turns take forever

>What was your first cool card to you that you remember opening?
Pestilence Demon. That sucker went STRAIGHT into my B/G 60-card precon.

Thread Question:

Gideon Jura. I played a mean selesnya land destruction deck back when I first started in Zendikar/Scars standard. Used Terastodon and Acidic Slime to blow up lands, then wiped the board with Day of Judgment when things got scary. After that I'd use Marshals Anthem to bring back my creatures and Kor Skyfisher was one of them to bounce the anthem back to my hand.

Gideon Jura helped keep creatures off me to buy me a turn and handle threats.

Thorn elemental is fucking sick as fuck

How do I even play this?
Do I drop Horobi turn 4 or when do i drop him?
How much will Timmy hate me because he can't equip his greaves?

A Foil Dragon Roost. As a kid, it was awesome and of course it became the central piece of my decks until Darksteel, when Memnarch came along.

Why can't the art of modern cards look as good as this?

All is digital.

Digital is easier / faster

Easy and fast brings lazy and uninspired

And WoTC pays shit so they dont help either.

Only play him if you have targeters on board. Personally, I never expect him to last until my next turn - treat him as a board wipe in the command zone. I also like to not use any of the targeters right away, instead waiting until someone tries to mess with me. Play politically.

Ten seconds of googling.

Looking for some input from anyone who's played this or is decent at deck-building.
Most of the choices are based off of an old primer + some cards I had in my binder that I figured would work.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-01-18-patron-of-the-moon/

I asked this like a week ago, and I'm back with some ingenuity and new questions.

So I've had a Horobi deck for a while that was originally a $5 deck that was for giggles. I decided to up my game, and began including cards that actually helped my game plan more than just being jank nobody bothered to remove.

The deck answers creatures well - indestructible critters are a slight issue, but are so rare I do not worry. Lands are easy targets - I run urborg because lol monoB alongside a kormus bell (I usually immediately follow up with touch of darkness or cauldron of souls). I deal with Artifacts well enough - xenic poltergeist and old Karn turn any Artifact into an easy target.
And then there's enchantments.
The issue I've ran into is there is no Enchantment animation in Black or colorless. I'm forced to rely on turning the permanent on question into an artifact via Lattice or Liquimetal coating, then using my artifact removal approach.
Is there any way around this? Are there any ways to answer this problem?
Also if any fellow Horobi pilots have any tips, I'm trying to get more ways to protect the bastard, so far I feel like Fated Return or an eldrazi monument are the only ways to save his sketchy ass.

Just came back from LGS. I won all the 4 matches I played with my budget fun-stuff -decks. Jarad, Oloro and Arcanis. That LGS's meta is so solved that everyone plays the same cards with Tooth and Nail comboes etc and when I show up with my pile of shitty jank I win suprisingly much.

No one expects the 10 cents jank.

This is so true. For example my Arcanis game ended with my killing my opponents with commander damage (a flying Arcanis). No one expects a wincon like that in a monoblue decl and that's why it worked

I played Daze in my deck and it was almost always useless.

yeah thats fair, I figure the land return to hand isn't always worth it either.

Foil Leovold, which I immediately traded for a Mana Crypt because I figured it would never hold it's value at $70......

So what's the deal with Bant commanders? I wanna finish making a deck for all the different Shards and it's the only one I haven't done yet, but none of them seem that interesting.

>Derevi
Literally "That Guy": The Commander
>Roon
Already made a blink deck with General Tazri/Ally tribal with a focus on ETBs
>Rafiq
Voltron is boring
>Jenara
I don't really see a way to build this other than shitty +1/+1 strats, and that's already what my Anafenza deck does
>Treva
Probably the worst of the Invasion dragons.
>Arcades Sabboth
I'd rather play Chromium than him
>Angus Mackenzie
Not worth the pricetag for what he does.
>Ragnar
lol
>Partners
None of them really feel like they have any synergy with one another, and I'd probably just build it as Ishai flying dudes.

The only ones I could see building are Rubina Soulsinger and Phelddagrif, but I don't really see a decent wincon for grouphug effects.

tl;dr, sell me on W/U/G

>opponent refuses any attempts to cut his deck
Would you still play with them?

Jenara can be played as control with a consistent wincon in the general zone.
Treva is fun and low profile, make it however you want.
You know, the general doesn't have to completely dictate what the deck is about, right?
Build purple hippo aggro, Rafiq control, Treva enchantress, whatever. And Rubinia doesn't have to be grouphug at all. She's a vedalken shackles on a stick. Tribal theft effects?

It's a casual format, you fucking sperg. No point in cheating.

No, there's no reason not to let anyone cut your deck unless their hands are covered in grime or something.

A snapcaster that I traded for a phyrexian crusader
still hurts

That's the point. It's a casual format and people still cheat. Start cutting decks and you will see a drastic drop in turn one Sol Rings.

Nah, my playgroup isn't full of tryhard fags.

Anyone got a list of what Chinaman has on his store? All his imgur albums showing what he has have disappeared

>Would you still play with them?
No, they are cheating. Nobody should play with cheaters.

Jace, Architect of Thought, first pack

>he doesn't run Manly Rakdos

holy hell I have literally never played a commander that gets as much hate as Vona. Literally every player at the table dedicates 100% of their energy into keeping her off the battlefield and killing me every game what even is this.

I am getting more hate when playing her than I used to get playing Purphoros, Grand Arbiter Augustin OR Skittles.

Is worse vindicate on a stick that costs 7 life a cast really that scary or something?

I think the first two cool card were Damnation and Griseldaddy last year with MM17.

...and I have been playing since RTR. Not really good at opening packs. Once I won a pre-release. Won 6 packs and all of them had the Intro Pack promo rare.
Fuck my life.

Sounds like your group is just bad. If they make it all the way around the table without removing her they suck.

people that run toned-down lame baby Rakdos should seppuku desu.

sorry, but i don't like to shoot myself in the foot with my commander

>Being a Weenie Hut Jr. frequenter

>Anyone find that as you became more familiar with the rules and gotten better with deckbuilding/playing, it's actually gotten less enjoyable?
Happens with every game. The more you know it, the less you enjoy it, because you start caring about too much things and "doing it right".
I remember I revisited Diablo 2 last year, and I couldn't enjoy it because I was too worried of getting specific items and building my pc

Nobody likes to have his shit removed out of nowhere

I just want to know how Vona manages to draw more hate than fucking Grand Arbiter Augustin IV...

I am baffled.

1st ever pack and probably to blame for my love of Golgari. It's in Savra to this day

>sorry, but i don't like having huge titanium balls
Fixed that for you :^)

>thread question
I bought 9 of those individually packaged packs of Eldritch Moon from a WalMart, opened a Nahiri's Wrath, Imprisoned in the Moon, Eldritch Evolution, Gisela, 2 Bruna, a Tamiyo and her Emblem, Dark Salvation, and Cryptbreaker.
That day was a good day, especially since I usually get complete shit with any pulls - like the time I bought a fat pack of Ixalan and got all dollar rares or less and the only mythic I got from it was the complete shit 7 mana draw 7 sorcery.

What are the ways of making use of derevi's tax free cost? I want to use this over her go wide or lockdown builds

>What are the ways of making use of derevi's tax free cost?
Respond to Armageddon by activating her ability with floating mana.

I play a lot of artifact decks and Bosh has been always pretty unappealing to me.
For monocolor there is Slobad and Memnarch. For colorless there is Hope of Ghirapur which I think might be somewhat fun.

If their is one thing people hate more than their stuff getting destroyed it is having their stuff taken.

Opening up a foil Tooth and Nail in an old Mirrodin booster after saying to the whole shop "I bet this has a foil Tooth and Nail in it."

Finally went into my first Green deck the other week.

This looks more like you are making excuses to not play some commanders. You don't have to be "that guy" with Derevi. Don't need to discard Roon because you already have a blink deck in 5c. And so on.

If you have like 20 decks, then obviosly some strategies will overlap in different colors.

If you really don't know, I'd suggest either Jenara of Derevi. With Jenara oyu just go control-ish, with a commander that can easely scalate in power. No need to go all-in in counters strategy. With Derevi you could use it as a tool or enabler of interactions, with a bunch of value cards. No need to go prison or stax.

Even in commander I've seen guys cheating god hands

Any problems you've had with Bosh in general? Slobad has also seemed cool to me, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of jank yet.

My buddy made an Ishai/Thrasios Bant deck with just tons of ramp, draw, counters, and all the flashiest big dumb creatures available in Bant and it's a ton of fun of play against. You're right that there aren't really that many unique or interesting Bant commanders, so he figured he'd play Thrasios as a value engine in the command zone for when he doesn't have anything else going on, and Ishai just randomly gets there sometimes, especially if people are lacking fliers.

Pheldafriff, but don't play group hug. Suture priest, crafty cutpurse, consecrated sphinx, illusory gains all make pheldagriff's powers benefit you.

Illusory gains/crafty cutpurse + phyrexian altar nets you infinite ETB triggers on your side ect ect...

Never gonna afford that noble heirach

I traded a noble hierarch for an inkwell leviathan back before I understood how good it was. Fuck that guy, he knew.
Scammers like that deserve leprosy.

way too much investment for a little damage. CMC too high, activation cost too high, uses one artifact you have in play.
I'd rather play Brion Stoutarm than Bosh. Brion has lower cost, lower activation cost, and access to white which allows graveyard recurssion.

>tfw birds of paradise costs 7$
>tfw noble hierarch costs around 55$

reprint this asshole already.

>Never gonna afford that noble heirach
No need for it. My gf has a completely functional Derevi deck without it. There is still a lot of ramp in cmc 1. Like Carpet of Flowers. I'm surprised by how many players don't know that card.

>Tfw the girl I was fucking back then bought me a ton of masters packs just because
>Tfw Pulled a noble hierarch from one of the packs
Got it in my Derevi deck.

>mfw I have a gf so I can't spend money on expensive cards.
We want to start renting a place and I don't make much so yeah. Adulthood sucks.

My brethren of dark skin descent

That's a terrible comparison. There are lots of high price artifacts with affinity or the possibility to cheat them into game, Red has artifact graveyard recurssion and Brion Stoutarm needs to be tapped while Bosh can throw fridges as long as you have enough mana.

Just set aside $10 a week or so, and don't sweat buying cards over $20 bucks. Boom, the world is your oyster. That, and try and stick with 1-2 decks so any upgrades you make are 2-3 cards at a time, rather than an entire deck.

Ixalan prerelease was my first go at Magic, landed promo shirtless Jace right out of the gate. Little brother has been playing for years and still hasn't pulled a foil planeswalker and naturally resents the couple I've got.

I don't have enough demons otherwise I would

Before them, i need bloom tender for derevi

>You want to spend 20$ on a single piece of paper? We need the money for boring adult crap, so no way. Also get yourself ready, we want to go to that bar with my lame coworkers and spend 50$ on overpriced drinks and taxi.

>feeling any sense of manly empowerment from playing mtg
wew

10th edition terror really stuck with me

I have a foil in my binder to this day.

My deck already use cards over $20. Im looking to buy mox diamond
>inb4 kys

My foil butcher of the horde. Still remember what song was on the radio when I opened the pack
>getaway car by audioslave
Too bad it was never great in any format

>Free sac outlet
Its a combo component thats also a beatstick, its pretty good.