Jumpchain CYOA Thread #2014: Founding Edition

>Google Drive
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1qb0_OLhDrDSmZpRWdZaGZRcWs?tid=0B20r6rsFLOg_Zk5RdVdya3hJNnc&authuser=0

>Jumpchain IRC Chat
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=rizon.mibbit.org&channel=#JumpchainCYOA
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/?#JumpchainCYOA

>Rules
pastebin.com/Gqj3iKyn

>How to Jumpchain
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDNjZmRG02SDFaRVk/view

>Last Thread

Jumpers! On Sunday, August 10th, 2014 the first JumpChain thread was posted. Where were you? What are your earliest jumpchain memories? What are your favorite memories?

Jumpers! Let's get meta.

Man, it's 20-fucking-18.

The new century's barely legal and you expect me to remember what I was doing that far back?

Lurking and trying to figure out what was going on. Figuring out my Pokemon team. There wasn't too terribly much going on yet in the threads at that time.

See I've been here forever, talking about this stuff with you chucklefucks.
My earliest memory of this is figuring out how much Abra would cost as a starter in Johto.

I was here. I followed Quicksilver over from CYOA General. My earliest memories were seeing those first two jumps, Pokemon Trainer and inFamous, and asking Quicksilver if he had any more jumps made, because this was a really cool idea and I wanted more than just those two jumps. And now look at us. We've got hundreds of the damn things.

And I quoted the wrong fucking post.

God damn it.

2014? I guess I was either finishing my papers to get my title as a lawyer or just starting to work as a full-fledged one. I honestly can't remember that well.

>I think Ubel Blatt is still ongoing?
Yeah it is, it was on hiatus for a while and it started back up. Zai x 10 finished a while back.

>Have you tried Oregairu or Yumekui Merry?
I have tried Merry but I couldn't bring myself to read much of it sadly. Oregairu, well I have heard nice things about it but never got around to watching it.

Is there a Mage Ascension jump? If not, anyone working on it?

I was looking through the front page of tg and saw a post amusing enough to make me decide to read the thread it was in, and I’ve been here ever since.

Playing vidya like KOTOR, Empire at War, and Supreme Commander. I didn’t find Jumpchain until...I think a year after it started? And that was just the CYOA, I didn’t find /jc/ until a few months later. And even then I lurked for a year before actually posting or doing anything. I still remember when Babylon and Wakfu both regularly posted.

>Oregairu

I would recommend it. The fanbase became cancer, but the series is pretty good. We have a jump for it too.

SB has two (technically one's for a quest set in oMage). The quest one is better,mainly because it has options that aren't generic as fuck.

Speaking of which:

Jumpers, what kind of mage archetype (oWoD or otherwise) are you? Do you have a specific Paradigm?

>August 10th, 2014
I was enjoying a resort vacation with my then fiancee down in Orlando. We were... enjoying the privacy.

>Earliest Jumpchain Memories
Considering I only came here because I misclicked, I was all kinds of confused. But then I read through the instructions and started reading the Jumps. I lurked for quite a while before I posted anything. And promptly got yelled at for having a name. A lot.

Fun times.

>Favorite Memories
I don't have one single, individual memory I can point to as a favorite. I really liked it when people started wanting to read my writing often enough that putting it on the Drive was the best option. So probably that, though I also really liked the positive response I got to Katawa Shoujo at the time I posted it.

Life. I like making living things. Geneforge is great.

I also like enchantment of various kinds, but I'm not sure where that falls.

I'm Fate/Prime, which isn't any of the established Traditions but I just really like those two Arcana. I think it's cool to be able to manipulate those ephemeral effects, change what things mean instead of just what they are.

So I have begun preparing a new an update for generic isekai. Currently, I am:

Adding a 'genre selector'-style location section, for fluff. I finally gave up and admitted it was a good idea
Clarifying a bunch of minor wording problems.
Expanding the item section enough to be interesting.
Doing some minor tweaks to unique skills. (with more major changes being considered)
Adding some more drawbacks for fun.
Including a handful of OC generic-style companions.
Trying to find a good way to include a more 'proper' villain path for evil jumpers.

While I anticipate much input from you all, I would be most interested in any ideas people have for unique skills, whether changes, additions, or subtractions. I'm hoping to give that section a lot of polish and refinement.

>Main Chain
Started out as a Red Mage, but then I went Bard in Ragnarok Online and never looked back.

>Side Chain
Well, I really only know Thu'um so far... so Vocalist? Projector? Not really sure what a cool name for shouting directions at the universe to make it do what you want would be.

I was a former /b/tard that had wandered out four or five years prior (because it was an all consuming time sink) and who still believed they would never ever open a Veeky Forums tab again.

Fuck off.

Wow, that looks like alot of work. Good luck with it Soft, hope I can help somehow.

If only you left with bancho. Or at least traded places.

General "Hard Science Crat" (ItX/Prog/VE)? I like the soft sciences, but generally see them more as a hobby than important.

My opinion on the Traditions is pic related, so I sure as hell aren't anyone on that side.

I love you too shitpost-kun!

Summoner, I am lazy so I just summon someone else to deal with things for me.

I feel like these two posts just about sum up this thread.

Hey soft, would you consider adding more cheats and pricing them by tier?

If you think its so gordamt perfect as it is, just keep the copy you have now.

That's one of the ideas I'm thinking on. The section definitely needs an upgrade, so to speak, but right now I don't know what shape it will take.

How weird.

How do I become omniscient? Is it even worth it, having nothing else to discover but always knowing how to accomplish my goals?

Bancho was a far better person than you'll ever be.

did you not read his final sentence, Ric.

He's literally asking for just that.

Good thing it finally got through your thicc skull. Lots of drawbacks and OC companions are always good.

Well there is a perk in DI that would let you forget things and yet still subconsciously work towards that which would benefit you. So you could still enjoy life.

Here's a suggestion: Hand it off to somebody else.

It is true, Bancho was the best of us.

Find a collaborator so it'll actually be interesting.

Remember to love everyone user, even those you should hate.

Let's agree to disagree. I'm not a great person, but I'm better than him in my opinion.

I suppose if we're talking about early Jumpchain memories in general, I do have one. No one probably remembers anymore but One Piece one of the earliest Jumps and Gold and Red were butting heads on the matter of how Devil Fruits would work post-Jump. Lots of arguments over all sorts of things in early Jumpchain.

I think the two thoughts were "Those who ate Devil Fruits would no longer be negatively affected by water in any way after the Jump." and "Those who ate Devil Fruits would continue to be affected as they normally do in canon." Since it had went for a few threads, I suggested (as an user) a compromise of Devil Fruit powers going away when submerged without the Jumper completely turning into a stamina sapped brick. Both of them ended up responding positively and the compromise ended up making it into the Jump.

This was the first thing I remember actually contributing to the community so I remember it fondly, even if it wasn't much.

You might want to consider making System not a cheat skill or at least a very cheap one since in tons of Isekai such a system is just part of how the world works, and having it as a cheat skill kinda implies that only the Jumper runs on it as is.

Not sure what to suggest for new skills since I'm tired and sick but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

I genuinely miss bancho.

Where did you mean to click instead of here?

So you agree that Red has always been cancer. Good to know your girlfriend taught you right.

Not a single clue. My memory's shit in general, and I only joined jumpchain around thread 350 or so.

Earliest memories are... I think reading people's builds? Red, ASA, and Konata mainly.

I am... pretty much a generalist. All magic is good to learn?

So, I probably fit into the archetype of the mage secluding himself to focus on magical research.

Though I mainly tend to use simple-to-cast stuff, and utility/permanent stuff. Like, I'd rather learn how to raise a stone wall instead of calling up a fireball or something.

>I'm not a great person, but I'm better than him in my opinion.
I'm not inclined to agree or disagree, but I'm interested in your reasoning behind both prongs of this statement.

That's actually close to one of the changes I already thought of. I split The System apart, so everyone who even gets any unique skill automatically has levels and attributes, and The System is now purely just the access to the unrestricted skill-buy menu.

First year of university, never would have expected these threads to survive past graduation. Nearly four years is a long fucking time for a general to stay relevant on Veeky Forums.

Psion, though Mind Mage is also applicable.

Oh right, could you please add a harem perk? No a cheap generic one, but those that make everyone around MC fall in love with him, even the gods that threw them there. I see that a lot in isekais, and I want it.

>even those you should hate.
I am not the one who you originally replied to, so I just threw a love beam at you since you did the pose.

>"Those who ate Devil Fruits would continue to be affected as they normally do in canon."
What a fucking idiot, whoever that was. A CP purchase blocking off vast swathes of future jumps, settings and opportunities is simply retarded. Good thing someone reasonable decided not to implement that trap option, though it's depressing that there was even an argument about it, let alone one for "several threads".

Didn't Val say that she would have the DCEU jump to today? Has she been delayed or something?

I hate it but, when I first saw that I actually thought it was a rabbit before I took another look.

What genres are you thinking of?

It is not Aussie time yet, or atleast not the time Val usually starts posting anyway.

Shit taste and I am not talking about the snail/rabbit.

Don't feel bad, at first I thought it was a guy holding a snail,

Time has strange habits in Australia.

Silver Ladder4life. You magelets have no vision, what's the point of magic if we don't use it to become conceptually unnharmable godkings making universes for fun

Huh. I'll have to look into that should I ever achieve knowing it all.

I wonder if that'd make a good rabbit stew.

I was attempting to click on the Warhammer 40k general. I had just finished playing Dawn of War and I wanted to dig into the lore a little because I was bored. But my mouse went funky and clicked here instead.

Then you looked deeper and discovered the lie.

See .

Currently the rough outline looks like this:

>Magitech mechs (a world where the power of magic amplified through massive machinery, to combat against equally massive threats)
>Alternate history (a world parallel to our own past, but twisted by magic and monsters)
>Urban fantasy (a world with a surface similar enough to our own present day, concealing powerful secrets)
>Low fantasy (a world where the idea of magic and monsters is largely regarded as superstition)
>Reverse-isekai (a world you should not have arrived in, entirely contemporary and mundane, but somehow connected to another)
>Strange future (a world where the old ways have been lost, and strange humanoid creatures have relit the fire of civilization)
>Science fantasy (a world where the power of magic has been extrapolated over time, resulting in a bizarre future of alien wizards, enchanted spacecraft, and paladins in power armor)

This is all just rough draft stuff, which will be written out properly in the actual jump. Also, thanks to Digger for contributing, like, all of these.

>I wonder if that'd make a good rabbit stew.
Of course not, it's terribly sick.

Well. That's a new one.

I...was wondering why all those weird Pokemon CYOAs were suddenly in a new thread, but I didn't think too hard about it because Conduit CYOA general was having a meltdown. Again.

I didn't actually click on that new thread until like, a hundred new threads later.

There's a paradigm of magic out there, that says magic is an absolutely nonsensical nexus of belief and will-often enabled by deities of some sort-influencing the fundamental nature of reality, often at terrible cost.

There is another paradigm of magic out there, that suggests everything can be quantified and mass produced if the assembly lines are sufficiently advanced.

I like to combine the two into something better than the sum of it's parts. So in-

>OWOD

terms, I'd be a weird mix of the Technocracy and the Celestial Chorus. Sitting around trying to figure out whether if people fear nuclear reactors enough, the nuclear reactors could turn into helpful household gods.

And in-

>nWOD

terms, I'd be a renegade Obrimos running my own heretical Seers of the Throne cabal. Conveniently, the Obrimos already cover science as well as faith under their paradigm.

I also really, really like launching supernal flame from a higher plane of existence at things I don't like. And for setting the ambience in candlelit dinners.

>a more "proper" villain path

You mean, like a scenario or a whole new background?

Wait... Did he actually leave? After all these years are we finally free?

...So how did you lurk and browse Veeky Forums before posting here and somehow think that wearing a name would be a good idea?

>Dem words
I-I never realized how beautiful you are...and Digger by extension.

>Shit taste and I am not talking about the snail/rabbit.

Whatever

No, I know he will be back.

>Seers of the Throne
>Please master kick me some more, I'll get you back one day the Order
For what purpose

>You mean, like a scenario or a whole new background?

I dunno. A scenario might honestly be the best option (which is funny, because I was just saying earlier that I am probably not skilled enough to do a real scenario) but I want the option to be represented in some form.

There will still be the standard high fantasy right?

He "left", again. I give it about a week until he's back.

Man, I'm glad the Warhams general eluded you so.

Absolutely. I just wanted to include options for the people who want less traditional isekai experiences.

There have been isekai'd villains before, so you could probably build a decent origin around it.

Better clarification on what a "skill" is in the context of the perks you're offering would be incredibly helpful. Just some level of guidance on what is likely to be covered / not covered.

I was finishing summer break and getting ready to go back to college - only found out about Jumpchain last summer. I ran across the Worm jumpdoc when I was filling out Worm CYOAs. Lurked around trying to find a full-power comics Kryptonian combo until Kingdom Come came out. Favorite memories are probably of some of my drawback cheese methods, using the "I'm a Star" perk from Narnia with Kryptonian Physiology from Kingdom Come and Lunar Dial from Touhou to become Superman Prime One Million, and discovering Miracle of Sound's song "The Great Unknown" which fits being a Jumper perfectly.

Anyways, onto what I actually came here for. Would some sort of planetwide Mass Cure Disease Spell from D&D make the majority of people in Marvel stop hating mutants? That's a virus or something, right?

Also, would being a Rick make the "No magic or superpowers, just tech" drawback in Touhou survivable?

I go for a well-rounded mix. That way if an enemy comes up with a counter to one sort of magic/superpower, I can jsut pull out a different one.

I'd base it around that kid from the original digimon series. He may not be the most iconic example, but is iconic and has a broad base of familiarity.

Huh, neat. Magic Dystopia might be an interesting genre as well, whether it’s a Dystopia running by wizards or one run by a group dedicated to hunting down Magic users. Or you could pull a Galactic Empire and have it be both, where the government is secretly run by evil wizards who are hunting down any Magic users who might pose a threat.

Because other than a little horrified staring at /b/ every now and again and wandering the papercraft board, I barely used the site. So I didn't really pay attention to Veeky Forums's social rules before I started posting. Between when I started lurking and started posting I didn't see anyone else get yelled at for slapping on a name, and people were using names without posting anything specific, so I thought it was just a choice.

Aw, thank you. I'm rather happy I found this place too.

>Warhammer
Can you please get Red to stop ruining Black Crusade with her stupid non-canon wank?

Yeah, gonna be putting some new notes in about skills, plus giving an explicit baseline of how exp gain and overall power growth will work.

That might work better as a modifier/drawback, but it is definitely an interesting idea.

How do capstone boosted perks interact with Skillbook Creation or is that just a fanwank it kinda thing.

Also currently trying to come up with Unique Skills and coming up blank atm

I was in the CYOA General, making Evil Overlord builds, when this weird guy named Quicksilver came and posted a really high quality Pokemon CYOA in the thread. I remember a lot of people complained about the rolling aspect! "I don't want to roll a dice in a CYOA!", they said!
Anyway, the Pokemon CYOA ended up taking up a disproportionate amount of discussion in the thread, so eventually they told him he should go make his own thread. So he did! And I migrated over to the very first Jumpchain thread along with him. I don't even think it was called Jumpchain at the time!

Anyway, it took me a long time to start avatarposting. For a long time, I was just some random ass user who liked building robot armies -- because it got around the idea of companion limits or that I should have to do things myself, because I was a lazy fuck even then.

Oh how things have changed! Not really.

I though you'd gone. Why did you have to come back?

Some suggestions, take or leave.
Move dimensional storage out of the items section (maybe make it a low tiered cheat ability if you take Rics suggestion). Maybe move vassal tribe to companions section (though keeping them non-importable).

Definitely add origin based items as well, plus 600cp items to the racial ones.

I personally would prefer more explicit limitations to some options, but that's just me.

If you want more villainous options maybe have a Demon Lord sub-origin kind of thing, or maybe have it be a generic perk that boosts you a good deal.

As a side note, have you thought about also doing a Re:Monster or Death Mage jump?

>Past Heavens
Jesus Christ these Quests are all over the entire fucking board. Sure wish I knew what filters were, because finding generals and 40k talk is actually a bit of a chore now. Hm? What's this thing? Reminds me a bit of that Magical Realm thing I found on here a while back...

Okay I don't understand any of this. Apparently you're a dude with a Warehouse wandering Pokemon...? Doesn't look like my cup of tea.

I can't imagine ever getting into that thing.
>Favorite memories

Probably anytime someone posted an actually funny story. I also miss some posters like that one who posted Kon all the time.

some questions regarding the x-men evolution jump:

the gem of cyttorak uprade for the healing factor power says "Healing Factor would be an unaging immortal that could live from a single drop of blood". Does that mean i can perfectly generate from only a drop of blood? What would be an appropriate time for such a regeneration?

The duplication/cloning perk gives you immediately 8 copies that "are just as powerful as the original.". Does that mean they have ALL my powers or just my mutant powers?

Jumpers. A question - somewhat philosophical, somewhat self-analytical, and somewhat sparked by the fact that... currently, I've realized that I have fucked up.

When did you realize that you were going down a path that you hadn't intended, and realized just how much it had fucked up everything and everything around you? When did you see that maybe, you done goofed and that there might not be a chance to come back from it?

He could almost read the text as if actually playing the game.
[*Papyrus no longer believes in you]

Awesome, good to hear Soft! I always felt like Generic Isekai was really close to being one of my favourite jumps, if it could just have a few holes filled and it looks like this update is going to do it.

Now, I know it's going to sound like I'm laughing at you like a hyena on nitrous oxide, but rest assured I am giving your proposal the thought and careful consideration it deserves.

>Okay I don't understand any of this. Apparently you're a dude with a Warehouse wandering Pokemon...? Doesn't look like my cup of tea.
>I can't imagine ever getting into that thing.
Oh you poor fool.... you never stood a chance.

Hey Worm, I just wanted to check, could the Thought Implantation power in the Worm jump theoretically let you pull off Jack Slash style "subconsciously predict and counter your opponent" stuff if you're well synced with your passenger?

I am trying to avoid leaning too heavily on 'fanwank it' as an answer this time around, but that sort of thing would vary depending on the perk in question. Some capstone boosts seem like they would just boost the level of a skill, while others seem like they would outright change the skill into a new, better version.

But the short answer is that a skillbook would definitely capture the basic functionality of whatever perk it was copying, even if at a reduced strength level.

Fair enough, good luck Soft user.