What are some fun spells/skills/tactics that a Spellslinger (Spell caster/Gunslinger) could have?

What are some fun spells/skills/tactics that a Spellslinger (Spell caster/Gunslinger) could have?
No specific setting, just go all out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM?t=33
youtube.com/watch?v=-KrsO91mfBw
youtube.com/watch?v=obLl9d3ZUmA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuirassier
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Smoke grenades + Tracking bullets / Scatterguns.

Pull out lots of guns at once and fire them telekinetically or some shit

>Inscribe a bullet with a targets name or species, it deals a lot of extra damage vs specific targets or a small bonus vs a generic species.
>Bullet curving
>Elemental bullet types
>Rope bullet, allows you to climb it afterwards
>Guns reload themselves telekinetically
>Ammo selection, your gun can load certain bullet types on your command

I would, instead of making them just a spell caster that uses guns or shoots magic themed bullets/spells from a gun, make the use of the gun itself be their magic. They're as fast on the draw and as good a shot as any Clint Eastwood character, able to shoot your hat off your head at fifty yards without using the sights, because they've got hidden knowledge in the ways of shooting. Basically more a monk but with a revolver instead of martial arts.

More simple, bags of holding/magically summoned guns would be fun, letting them just drop their guns and pull out new ones instead of reloading, like a magical Neo.

You guys are weak sauce. Get on my level:
gun summoning
juggle aiming
transform gun
shot curving
elemental shots
timewarp shots
implosion, or telekinesis shots
ricochet aiming
teleport shots
flamethrower shots
heal shots
transformer shots
negashots, or unshooting
telepathy shots, shooting thoughts
curse shots
motivational shots
scrying shot
dragon breath shot
quenching shot
trenching shot
weather change shots
reverse gravity shot
dispell shot

Aw hell yea - that's the kind of dumb bullshit I'm looking for

Teleport bullets into the gun instead of reloading it, posses a shotgun with a minor demon and throw it into the room before walking in, hex a person with a targeting curse and shoot a tracking bullet far into the sky

Here are some dumb ideas I came up with as a teenager. Warning: very dumb, and most are not particularly original.

1. Teleporting the gun to the person and then magically firing it. No, you don't teleport the bullet, you teleport the entire fucking gun.
2. Gun doesn't even shoot bullets, it just has a minor demon in it. Pulling the trigger for some reason activates the spell that forces the demon to shoot.
3. Gun still doesn't shoot bullets, it summons them out of your allies, healing them in the process. Can't reload normally, has to acquire ammo from an injured ally.
4. Minor strength spell, doesn't apply to melee weapons or normal strength spells; can't just cast it and pick up a car, but you can cast it so that you can wield heavy support firearms for a brief amount of time. Can't cheat and pick up an entire tank, but you could pick up some anti-air and use it Rambo style for a turn.
5. Like others have said, no need to reload most guns as you just summon a new weapon, but instead of pulling it out of a bag or something, imagine a floating arcane circle that you just yank a gun out of.
6. Your standard Unlimited Gun Works type move.
7. Shot delay. You unload an entire mag, nothing happens, the enemy laughs, and then five seconds later gets hit with every shot at the same time.
8. Bullet manipulation. This isn't just hurr I curved the bullet to the left, this is full on making it do loop de loops, 180s, fucking cartwheels and shit before finally hitting your target.
9. Just for flash, even though you don't need them, have mags on your belt that magically fly up into the gun for you. That'd just look cool.
10. All guns are actually demons bound to you, no one else can wield them. In fact they posses anyone that tries to touch them.

I can probably think of more but I feel kind of embarrassed about most of these.

Basically my reasoning is that a guy who shoots fireballs and lightning bolts out of his gun is just a worse version of a guy who can shoot fireballs and lightning bolts out of his hands. Blind gunslingers who can shoot without needing to see or riflemen that can shoot you in the head at two thousand yards using the iron sights on their flintlock because they're one with the weapon are more fun. That might just be me though.

Basically Jerry Miculek would be a good gun wizard.
youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM?t=33

You're gonna have to explain some of these.

>negashots, or unshooting
>reverse gravity shot
>transformer shots

What exactly does that mean?

>motivational shots
Ah, just like the Soviets.

Guns that are basically Cyclops. Instead of firing ammo, pulling the trigger opens a tiny portal inside the gun barrel. The other end of the portal connects to a reservoir of whatever the wielder wants to come out of his guns. He might use it to summon bullets from an armory, or something more esoteric (like shooting lethally pressurized water from the bottom of the ocean, or hot plasma drawn from the inside of a star, or a spray of fire ants yanked right out of their colony)

Have it be a revolver with each chamber holding a different predetermined portal, making you pick 6. Gives you some options for different uses while keeping it from being an "anything gun" and also makes for an appealingly dramatic spin of the cylinder to get to the one that you need.

A simple way to come up with tactics is to take already existing spells and modify them so they're used with guns. Creating an earthquake? Shoot a gun at the ground. Countering a spell? Shoot a gun at the spell or fire a "banishing" shot. Reloading but both hands are full? magic hands do it for you. Out of spells? Gatling gun with rotating, arcane implements.
I would recommend looking at movies, animation, or videogames for inspiration for stuff to do. Suggestions:
-Outlaw Star: Uses "Caster" pistols; guns that require magic ammunition with varying effects.
-Overwatch: The character Tracer teleports around and can rewind time to a few seconds ago.
-The Matrix, Max Payne (game): Bullet time.
-Metal Gear Solid series: Ricochet shooting, dispelling bullets away from themselves.
-The Dark Tower (movie): A guy shoots one of his own bullets mid-air to change the trajectory of it.
-Wanted. Yes, curve those bullets.

I like your style.

Bullet theft. If unarmed and without gun or bullets, a mystic gunslinger could literally steal the bullets out of your gun from a distance.

Wide Eyed. By curling the figners of one hand around his eye, the mystic gunslinger could magically see further.

Gunsmoke Visions. Bu inhaling the smoke from a recently fired gun, the mystic gunslinger can gain a hint about the next time he will be firing his gun. this only works if he had defeated an enemy with the last shot fired from the gun. He need not have killed the target, only defeated it.

Oh man, I like that even more.

I would allow for him to change what the chambers can summon, though, under two conditions: it takes time to inscribe/imbue a new cylinder, and the ammo must come from a real source that exists somewhere.

I'm gonna make the assumption that the kind of guns you're looking for are muzzle loading muskets or rifles
>Multishot, essentially a three round burst
>Scattershot, bullet splits into dozens of magically enlarged fragments
>Windless shot, wind has no effect on the bullets travel
>Light ball, bullet is effected far less by gravity
>Explosive shot, self explanatory
>Tracking shot, bullet will automatically move towards target thus making if far harder to dodge
>Phantom bullet, bullet ignores armour and thin barriers
>flame burst, rifle shoots out a jet of flame for a few seconds
>Chainshot, two bullets connected with a strand of magic are fired and spin, potentially chopping off limbs
>Gas spray, rifles shoot a noxious gas for a few seconds that inflicts poison
>Returning bullet, bullet will travel a short distance before stopping and flying back into the barrel, the rifle spawning it's own powder
>Gun juggling (pistol only), all pistols on your person fly into the air and one by one come into your hands before returning to their holsters
>Stopless bullet, bullet will magically propel itself after being fired for almost a minute, constantly flying through the target as many times as it can before the magic wears out

>Explosive bullets
>Homing bullets
>Bullets that split into smaller bullets and home in on targets
>Explosive bullets that split into smaller explosive bullets and home in on targets
>Using magic as the propellant + alchemy to turn whatever you have into bullets, refill casing with 'magic propellant', always have ammo
>Summoning more guns
>Combining guns into bigger, redneck style miniguns

>the ammo must come from a real source that exists somewhere.

Which is great because it fixes the power of the gun to the setting. If you're in high fantasy world you can use a portal that summons an icy wind from the realm of the frost giants or whatever, whereas in modern fantasy you're more limited.

Plus it gives you more non-combat and creative combat abilities. Curving bullets, ricochet shots and summoning more guns or cartridges are all great but they also mean you're only useful in situations that require you to shoot people. Having a portal to the bottom of the sea to let you put out fires or a portal to the vacuum of space to let you hoover away poisonous gas gives you a lot of extra versatility.

Body movement is often used to cast magic, so I think a class like that's basically an Equilibrium cleric would make a great spellslinger. Make the magic come from the gunkata movements, using the guns as a focus like a wand.

You could also have alternative kata for use with long guns instead of pistols.

>A portal to space in the barrel of a gun that opens for a split second as the hammer hits
How effective would that be? A hole into the vacuum of space the width of a handgun barrel and only opens for less than half a second doesn't sound like it could suck out much air

Nothing stops you from having the portal open for a set length of time or even however long you hold down the trigger.

Here are some Ideas for you.

Not that user, but I have some interpretations:
>negashots, or unshooting
Catching the enemy bullet with your gun's barrel to shoot it yourself later
>reverse gravity shot
Not sure about gravity, but it gives me an idea of a shot that pulls the target to you instead of knocking back.
>transformer shots
Bullet turns into a dart/net/explosive charge mid-air

Gun kata?

nigger you are small time.

>howitzer in your cellar.
>wire it so to have a remote triggerdevice.
>turn triggerdevice into revolver.
>enchant it so it opens a portal to the muzzle of your howitzer.
>shoot people with the power of artillery.

No. That can be fun, but it's not what I was referring to. It's not about the use of guns *imitating* martial arts, it's the use of the gun *as* a martial art. The Westerns that spawned the "gunslinger" archetype are the exact same as Asian martial arts stories. That's why some of the best Western movies were just remade samurai movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=-KrsO91mfBw

The gunslinger doesn't need to do "gun katas" because the extra action of the flashy moves would just be slowing him down. His gun is out before anyone else's, and while his gun is out it is killing people, until they are all dead or he is out of bullets.

Just like a martial arts hero, he beats his opponents through his superior skill, and just like the martial arts hero it's that superhuman skill that is the magic in the first place. He doesn't shoot magic missiles from his pistol, because if he could he wouldn't need a gun in the first place. The gun and its bullets are the thing dealing the damage, it's just that the gunslinger allows it to do so in a way that regular people can't.

The Powder Mage books have a setting that features firearm-centered magic. I just started the first book, but so far it seems they can control the curve of bullets with their mind (one guy is noted for being able to kill two people with a single bullet over a mile away), ignite gunpowder at a distance, and even absorb and redirect explosions produced by gunpowder. In addition, they can also use gunpowder to heighten their sense beyond human levels, giving greater aim and reflexes.

Also, anything that turns a gun into Spiral from Devil May Cry 3. Here's a description of a skill that gun has
>Intentionally fire a bullet that ricochets off nearby surfaces, picking up speed and then impacting into an enemy doing maximum damage.
It turns bullets into pinballs, rapidly bouncing between enemies.

Bullets converted into bags of holding, a second after you fire, pops open, and any random junk you have in there starts moving at bullet velocity towards someone. Rocks hurt just like everything else when going at a 1000 fps. Not to mention spiked block of metal.

Beyond that, hand of glory bullets to put to sleep everyone its near

Blinding bullets that go supernova bright

Anti-magic bullets (Maybe a shattershell with antimagic properties) makes mages useless, but the pre-enchanted bullets don't care

Summoning bullets, so your opponent dodges, acts all smug, then gets tapped on the shoulder by a Minotaur or something

Illusory bullets, that look like a whole battalion has opened up on you

Delayed explosive bullets, to deny resurrection shenanigans

Clint was pretty cool in those movies but Eli absolutely stole the show in TGTBATU and easily became the best character in the trilogy, Clint couldn't hold a candle to him

>Bullets converted into bags of holding, a second after you fire, pops open, and any random junk you have in there starts moving at bullet velocity towards someone. Rocks hurt just like everything else when going at a 1000 fps. Not to mention spiked block of metal.

I like this concept a lot. Make bullets of holding and fill them with arrows, making one shot do the work of a company of archers.

Or better yeah, have them open *after* impact. If you're fighting a large monster, just pop a couple skin-deep shots and after a second they open up into five hundred pounds of whatever you like inside your enemy, Fist of the North Star style.

I'm pretty partial to all three.

youtube.com/watch?v=obLl9d3ZUmA

He was great as Angel Eyes but he didn't really wow me much in Few Dollars More, though that might just be because it's the weakest movie of the trilogy in my opinion

That's fair.

Eastwood's character in those movies is very much a physical one. He doesn't bring all that much to the table in terms of delivery but all the little things he does sell the role. His stance, the poncho flip over the shoulder, the smooth spin of the gun into the holster, the way he flicks cartridges into the chambers, striking a match with his fingers. There's a reason that character is still so iconic and so well remembered, because he's almost more of a personified aesthetic than a person.

Magic rifles/muskets should look significantly different than ordinary rifles/muskets

Do you mean fancier or entirely different in design?

In Kill 6 Billion Demons the Gun Witches ride their rifles like more traditional brooms. I'd read a book just all about the coven.

Quite true, I'm not saying there was a single thing wrong with Clint's character, that small bit near the end with the dying Confederate soldier was such a strong moment because Blondie was such a non-talkative character; scenes like Tuco talking to his brother (particularly that pause just before he leaves) or the captain smiling when he saw the bridge explode, or hell, even the moment where Angel Eyes walks into the Confederate camp and for the first time seems to be genuinely upset by the waste of human life, those small moments are what solidified TGTBATU as my favourite movie.

>Just started reading K6BD like two days ago
>Suddenly it starts popping up everywhere I go
What is this sorcery?

Yes

Baader-Meinhof.

On the subject of Kill Six Billion Demons, I think Oscar and his long-ass pistols-worn-as-samurai-swords are another good example.

The Godkiller, from Drive Angry.

>Baader-Meinhof
Neat
Also, I've always loved the aesthetic of two super long pistols in crossdraw holsters on one side, shits neat.

I don't think arrows work, unfortunately
A) Theyre likely to disintegrate at that speed
B)The bullet doesnt have that big an exit spot, so theyre just gonna collide, again splintering
C) Even if it does work, they won't have time to spread, meaning its just as effective, but far more expensive, than just a block of metal, which is also reusable
but its definitely a good idea. Maybe with some kind of mortar, or catapult, as a medieval cluster bomb

As for the expanding bullets, I think the thing of bullets of holding (great name btw) is that you can't push something out into occupied space. The block works because its going into open air, then colliding with face. You'd need an empty space at which point you've basically dropped something into the stomach. Plus you can just have actual exploding bullets for that kind of FotNS detonation

I've always been a bit partial to temporal bullets. Shoot off a few rounds into the dirt, get your enemy between you and the slugs, and bring them shooting back down the barrel of your gun and into their cartridges, through the baddie's chest, of course.

>Theyre likely to disintegrate at that speed
I think you are overestimating the speed at which bullets travel. Muzzle velocities for black powder guns are higher than you can get with a bow, but not that much higher that they'd disintegrate. Plus without the need to fire it from a bow they'd really be built more like darts or crossbow bolts.

>The bullet doesnt have that big an exit spot, so theyre just gonna collide, again splintering

I was assuming that it stayed in bullet form until after leaving the barrel. And if they were stored in a bundle they couldn't collide, just spread out in the air.

>Even if it does work, they won't have time to spread

Presumably if you used such a thing you would do so from a fair distance.

>I think the thing of bullets of holding is that you can't push something out into occupied space. >You'd need an empty space at which point you've basically dropped something into the stomach.

Not even a very sharp thing? I feel like depositing five hundred pounds of saw blades somewhere inside the dragon is at least going to give him a bad day.

Seems like a lot of setup for little reward. Though I guess it could be used to justify infinite ammo. You'd just be using the same bullets over and over again.

> Teleporting bullet: can pass through walls.
> Enchanted bullet: deals significant damage to demons, ghosts, and other incorporeal things.
> Breaking shots: can damage anything that has no soul - it will stop working after one shot, and you cannot miss with this spell.
> Jamming curse: all ranged attacks on the caster fail within the duration of the spell. Guns jam, bows tear, slings lose the stones.
> Ricochet: you can shoot the bullet at multiple targets within range - both you and the target must see the next target. Every next target takes half the damage of the previous.

I came here to mention that series, but I see you've already beaten me to it.
In the series powder mages are contrasted by 'privileged' which are close to your typical fireball shooting mage. I thought that was a cool contrast.

>What are some fun spells/skills/tactics that a Spellslinger (Spell caster/Gunslinger) could have?
>No specific setting, just go all out.
Lots of guns floating around, controlled by murder thoughts.

Yeah. Though I have to admit, I still think the knacked are really weird. Just strikes me as something ripped out of X-Men, and not really that fitting for a fantasy world.

>Jamming curse
This made me think of curse and the Jammed from Enter the Gungeon.
enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Lord_of_the_Jammed

Transmog/Charm/Psychological rounds have always been my favourites.

buffs himself before every fight
element shield
haste
concentration
regeneration
various elemental enchantments, depending on what he's fighting

minor teleport to stay at optimal range
teleport to disengage
summon wall to create cover where he needs it
plenty of flashbangs to disable casters

What would be the hard counter to gunmages?

Paladins in heavy plate covered in hexagrammic wards to nullify magic bullets?

I can't imagine it being practical to wade into combat wearing heavy armor. I mean, didn't we basically invent tanks for this?

>What would be the hard counter to gunmages?

tankmages

What is juggle aiming/trenching shot

Right, honestly, who would be dumb enough to wear armor after the invention of firearms? Not like anyone ever actually did that.

Also, for reference, here's some guys whose equipment is *heavier* than that of a knight in full plate armor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuirassier
>With the refinement of infantry firearms, especially the introduction of the powerful musket, the usefulness of the protection afforded by full armour became greatly lessened. By the mid 17th century, the fully armoured cuirassier was becoming increasingly anachronistic. The cuirassier lost his limb armour and entered the 18th century with just the breast and backplate.[7]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour
>Back and breast plates continued to be used throughout the entire period of the 18th century and through Napoleonic times, in many European (heavy) cavalry units, until the early 20th century. From their introduction, muskets could pierce plate armour, so cavalry had to be far more mindful of the fire.

Yeah, people did use armor against firearms. But firearms just kept improving until armor just became more trouble than it was worth. And we're talking about using magic with firearms here, something tells me their weapons would be even more powerful than ours, or at least more powerful than what we had using similar technology.

Yes, firearms technology outpaced body armor technology and so armor was obsolete for a (relatively) short time. But then armor developments caught back up and now soldiers are back to wearing heavy armor.

You can say "oh but magic bullets", but if bullets can be magic then nothing stops armor from being so, which is what was saying in particular.

I think there's a bit of difference between a suit of armor and a vest and helmet.

I mean, it's hardly "a vest and helmet", it's a helmet, front plate, back plate, side plates, groin and neck protection and upper arm protection. So, not very far off at all from something like pic related, and combined with the soldier's weapon and regular gear it weighs as much or more than a full suit of Gothic plate armor, which is why I posted it to dispel the idea that going into combat in heavy armor wasn't a viable concept post-gunpowder.

Teleporting bullets directly into magazines/cylinders from your ammo supply- reloading is a free action

Also shooting enemy projectiles out of the air

trenching shot -Shooting a crater or a long gash of a trench into the ground. For cover.

Would you prefer a setting where wizards and magicians are the only ones using the magic of gunpowder, or a setting where guns are accessible to everyone and some gunslingers are able to use magic?

The latter. In a world where people are born with magic powers, I like the idea of mundies using technology to compensate.

Everyone can use a gun in the same way everyone can use a sword, but gunslingers are a special breed who makes a common civilian/soldier with a gun look absolutely pitiful, like comparing a kid with a butter knife to a knight

Der Freischütz style heartseeking bullets. Hellsing style multiple targets caught with one bullet optional, but preferred.

Bulletproof duster/Bible over the heart to prevent killing shots.

All may hold a gun, but few truly wield it
All may know a gun, but few understand it
All may look down the sights, but few will actually see through them
The pistol and the rifle, the powder and the ball; know you hold no trifle, and with those break them all.

The only counter to a Wizard is another Wizard.

The only counter to a Gunmage is more Guns.