Wizard Weapons/Tools??

I've always hated that wizards are always depicted wielding just enchanted versions of normal objects. Wands are just enchanted scepters/pointers. Staves are just enchanted polearms. Etc. There are a few exceptions, and I'm trying to find more. In real life Vajras/Dorje are an item which could not possibly have any mundane practical function, and I like them for that reason. Another example are the orbs from Diablo III. I've also considered just small Platonic Solids. Are there any other examples anyone can think off?

Staves because most wizards are old and are walking up and down the stairs of towers for hours on end to do their astrological research. Wands are a representation of the masculine force. Athames because you can cut alchmical ingredients and crush them with the flat of the knife.

They're considered wizardly tools for reasons, user.

I. Don't. Want. Them. I don't understand why every blue board has to be like this. If I went to fucking /b/ or /r9k/ right now, I would get more useful answers. Every time someone asks ANY fucking question on a blue board it's always the same:

- Histrionic screaming that someone dared end a sentence with a question mark
- "Why would you want to do that, user? Just accept things the way they are! I have, because I'm a status quo zombie and you should be too."
- "Oh that can't be done."
- Stupid bickering

I can understand an old wizard using a walking stick. Not every magic-user is decrepit.

>I've also considered just small Platonic Solids.
Pfft. Platonic solids are for apprentices. REAL wizards use ARCHIMEDEAN solids. (Warlocks use Johnson solids. Heretical wizards use pseudocuboctahedra.)

>pseudocuboctahedra
*pseudorhombicuboctahedra

Why? If you can get multiple uses out of a single carried object why wouldn't you? Otherwise why not use the easiest to carry and store.

>Are there any other examples anyone can think off?
Bullets. Go full New Gods of Supertown.

Their hats

A scepter is a symbol of command, rulership and phallic power in a lot western classic mysticim.
It serves as a tool for commanding supernatural forces by symbolising authority over them. It has the same use for spirits as it does for humans. On its own it's only a stick but when backed with ancient pacts, and divine commands it demands obedience.

The wand or staff is only a stick on its own just like a coin is only metal. Its tje soul that gives it power.

Social contracts are magic.

tl;dr- classicaly: its not necissarily a weapon but symbol of power over others to be used by a summoner.

The problem is, if you're rejecting any and all magical magical versions of normal objects then you're just left with weird abstract sculptures they hold and cast with. Which is cool, but doesn't really lend itself to any intuitive identity or implicit use. Using real world objects lets you associate them with certain magical attributes by metaphor. I suppose you could go with symbolic representations and totems of various things, but once again that loops right back around to things that were done in the real world.

It's hard to see any good answers to your question beyond 'Things that look cool and maybe have symbolic significance'.

>Wands are just enchanted scepters/pointers. Staves are just enchanted polearms.

You're a fucking idiot, under your logic vajras are just enchanted maracas.

I really don't see how a wand is a problem. They aren't any more pointers than a spear is, it's just an extremely basic shape that would be a natural object for a prehistoric mage to try and cast magic through. Same with a staff, the stick is just bigger in this case. Orbs, taken the other way, can be said to look like bombs or some other throwing weapon. And a quick google search on Vajras tells me some of these are made like bells or knives which already seems to go against your premise of having a magic casting object not look like something else.

I think what you're looking for is a remote control or an object like a tablet. Something that definitely could be used to select magic options, even though we know them to be able to do multiple things.

>vajras are just enchanted maracas
Do you even know what a vajra is? It's nothing like a maraca.

>And a quick google search on Vajras tells me some of these are made like bells or knives
Oh my god you fucking brainlets. Really? You did a google search on something you've never fucking heard of before, just so you could come up with a justification for your "Why would you want to do that, OP?" non-response? A MINORITY of Vajras have bells or Knives and they're used slightly differently. The ones with bells, now hold onto your nutsack because this may be shocking, are used as bells.

So that's 4 already out of 10 responders who answered with "Why would you want to do that, OP? Just status quo it." Jesus fucking christ almighty. Do any of you fucking brainlets grasp the concept of a question to begin with? People don't look for things so you can hand them what they already know is present. This is like someone looking for a belt and you fucking idiots handing them a sock because you found one in front of you both and complaining when they didn't want a belt.

>The problem is, if you're rejecting any and all magical magical versions of normal objects then you're just left with weird abstract sculptures they hold and cast with.
Yeah that is sort of my point. How are symbolic totemic or votive objects not more fitting for magical use than just enchanted version of X normal object?

What does this have to do with maracas? They're not musical instruments. The don't rattle unless they're really poorly put together.

The only screaming is coming from you and I don't care what you want, you entitled twat.

Because I have gone through this fucking bullshit dozens of times. Blue boards are fucking cancer of the highest order. If this were my site, I'd delete every god damned one of them first. They encourage the worst normalshittery imaginable.

>I don't care what you want
Then don't fucking reply, dumbass.

>I have a question
>You shouldn't want to know answer to question because I don't.
>You didn't help.
>You're entitled!
Go fuck your retarded self.

They're not more or less appropriate, because magic doesn't exist. It basically comes down to personal preference and how things work in your setting. Trying to make any broader point based on what you prefer is just kinda ludicrous.

calm your autism

>If this were my site, I'd delete every god damned one of them first. They encourage the worst normalshittery imaginable.

Watch out anons, we've got an old school internet tough guy here.

So, on your heavily censored personal website where nobody is allowed to disagree, how many people still post there? Is the reason you're posting here connected to how few people chose to stay on your dictatorial little shitpile?

"No."
You'll get nothing for your autistic screeching. You deserve bullshit replies for your bullshit attitude.

>Blue boards are fucking cancer of the highest order. If this were my site, I'd delete every god damned one of them first. They encourage the worst normalshittery imaginable.
Do it. Start your own website, set it up and moderate the discussion however you like.

Like non-blue boards are any different? Buzz off. If you like them so much, then go there, not here. You're shitting up the place with your lunacy.

I've always liked claw gauntlets and rings as magical weapons. Still gives you room to do your somatic components, and you get to look like a total baller while clawing someone's eyes out while you cast Flaming Hands. Plus, they're hard to disarm, unless you do so quite literally.

For real though OP, you're kind of flipping your shit a bit.

t. Kimmo

A wizard's greatest magical weapon is his dick.

Then go back to your shit board, shithead, go to fucking /b/ and /r9k/ you belong here

>Using a staff as a walking stick
>Not carving a wooden bough in an ergonomic shape which can be comfortably braced against the shoulder whilst pointed at the target with both hands.
>Not attaching a miniature telescope to the staff, to allow for long-distance casting.
>Not attaching a dagger to the opposite end of the staff, to gut anyone feeling saucy enough to approach you, and enchanting the dagger for extra tactical advantage.

Why even be a caster?

Because not everyone is a metagaming dickwaffle?

And that's making a lot of dumb assumptions, like whether or not that manual targeting even matters when it comes to spells.

Jokes aside, I've always liked the idea of different magic foci. For instance, a caster might carry around a lightweight, ornate sword; not used to strike foes, but blade ceremoniously raised or pointed when casting. This is a somewhat uninspired example, but I still think things like that are neat.

I completely agree that things like that are cool.

What's annoying is an asshole going "I'll have my mage spontaneously invent the rifle but better!" when the idea of a stick with a focusing lens on it isn't that complicated, and if it isn't already a thing there's probably a good reason for it not to be in the setting already.

I'm not sure how that is annoying?

When it relies on out of game knowledge and contradicts the established aesthetic of the setting.

It's also rather arrogant, and it bugs me that I see players do it a lot. They think they know how a setting works, they notice something They would do that isn't currently being done, and assume it's a great idea that nobody in the setting has ever discovered because they're all stupid, as opposed to thinking 'Hmm, this thing would be really useful if it worked the way I thought it did, but nobody is doing it. Perhaps my understanding of the setting is flawed'.

I'm not against players having their own ideas, and if they approach me about making something work I'm almost always more than willing to figure out how to best fit it into the setting. But what really pisses me off is when they adamantly cling to their flawed understanding of the setting and accuse me of not letting them have fun just because I won't let their stupid idea revolutionise the setting overnight.

As expected of an "bushy-eyebrows-white-hair" poster.