What is the difference between a "character development" session and a "filler" session? I want to know what to avoid

What is the difference between a "character development" session and a "filler" session? I want to know what to avoid.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F8CJezPcCuc
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3052712/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I find it odd that you express the two as opposed concepts. A session with character development isn't filler, but that's just because character development is meaningful content.

Filler sessions are ones where nothing meaningful happens and it was all essentially pointless. If you run a game session where everyone is bored and nothing happens, you ran a filler session and you fucked up.

Character development, meanwhile, is one sort of meaningful content you can have in an RPG, but it coexists with a lot of others. Plot progression, chances to explore the world or interact with NPC's or progressing personal storylines are all things that naturally function as a cohesive whole.

I guess the only thing to really say is, have things in mind to happenin your sessions, and when the players do things make things happen based on them. Throw challenges or characters or revelations at them, but also give them moments of downtime to interact with the other PC's. It's not often, but sometimes as a GM I'll feel the time is right and the players are in the mood to spend an entire session on the latter, and it's still a meaningful addition to the game and a compelling experience for everyone involved.

Well I wanted to give this an epic one line greentext reply or say nice reddit spacing but actually this is a good answer

Readable formatting is not 'reddit spacing'. I've been using it on this site since before reddit fuckign existed. That meme needs to die.

>What is the difference between a "character development" session and a "filler" session? I want to know what to avoid.

I like you.

In a character development session, you want to challenge the player in some way with the expectation that how they player their character will change as a result. This can mean putting them into a conflict where they have to define their beliefs and priorities better (doubling down on them counts as defining, they don't necessarily have to reject them), where they advance towards some personal goal, or where they get content that is in keeping with that's characters backstory.

Going and clearing out random bandits for xp is filler. Going and clearing out bandits that are smuggling stuff for the BBEG is campaign progression.

Going and clearing out bandits that are smuggling stuff for the BBEG, and discovering that they are deserters from the Fighter's old unit of the king's army is campaign progression AND potential character development.

See
I'm pretty sure I could dig up some screencaps from 2006 with this new, hated "reddit spacing" if I could get my old laptop to boot.

Rpg isnt a bloody tv show
Theres no such thing as filler or meaningful sessions, only unfun or fun sessions

this is a correct post

you're an idiot
filler or meaning has nothing to do with fun
>theres no such thing as meaningful sessions
get the fuck outta here

You're talking crazy, OP. You're being weird and talking about things that don't exist.

Filler is what happens when your players refuse to grasp any of the hooks.

Character development is what happens when players are forced to make decisions that define the character, even if there aren't any dice involved.

youtube.com/watch?v=F8CJezPcCuc

I'll do you one better.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3052712/

Man, that's always a nice thing to be reminded of.

Are you a retard?
Filler is not a concept that applies to rpgs. They are not books, movies or series.
If a session was fun then it was meaningful.

No, you retard. You're experiencing a serious disconnect between the meaning of meaningful in the context of this thread and what you think a meaningful session.
Like a previous user stated, a session that's just killing goblins for no reason may be fun, but it's not meaningful in the context of the game.

one important thing to remember is that filler is not filler as long as you and your PCs are having fun

That's not true
But, filler isn't necessarily bad
There's a misconception that filler is a waste of time. It's the padding of time, just like its name implies it fills the spots in a story that would otherwise be empty.
Now, they premise of OP's question is the difference between filler sessions and character development sessions, not if either is bad.

I think you have a really good idea about what filler is, but a terrible concept of what a story should be. A story doesn't have 'empty' sections that need to get filled by nonsense; it moves at exactly the pace that the storytellers dictate.

If a show spends 4 episodes going around in circles, not advancing the plot or providing any depth to the characters or world, it's filler and should be avoided - the writers can skip ahead to a point where the story continues. If it does advance the plot and/or develop characters, it's not 'padding time', it's creating more story.

>A story doesn't have 'empty' sections that need to get filled by nonsense; it moves at exactly the pace that the storytellers dictate.
>the writers can skip ahead to a point where the story continues. If it does advance the plot and/or develop characters, it's not 'padding time', it's creating more story.
You're exactly right - in the context of a non-interactive storyline.
If you're talking about a roleplaying campaign where players might be missing, a break might be needed, the DM might be catching up, or time constraints are limited, filler might be needed.

Fuck that, we're taking an episode to go go-karting. Goku needs to learn to drive.

Last session of my Curse of Strahd game, the focal point of the entire session was our team leader getting some serious PTSD moment. There was only a single combat at the very beginning, which they murderized at the very start. Rest of the session was really just handling the PTSD character's health and talking to NPCs to get some of the "main plot" stuff into order.

Seriously, the session ended with said character ripping her only remaining eye off. So now their team leader is PTSD-ridden AND blind.

The point is. Even though very little happened in the main plot or dungeon delving -side, it was still a session where players were extremely invested to what they were doing.

There's no filler in RPGs. As long as everyone is enjoying themselves, it's all good.

Isn't it right there in the name? A character development session involves character development. It should have one or more clear answers to the question, "How did any of the player's characters develop or change in this session?"

On the other hand, bear in mind that "filler" does not HAVE to be a bad thing, even though it can be. If your players are down for a session where they just screw around, shoot the shit, or enjoy the setting, by all means do that, even if the story doesn't really progress all that much as a result. As long as it's fun, and fun is subjective. I know my players enjoy a well-timed passing-time-at-home kind of session.

>context of the game.
The context is a bunch of people sitting around a table playing a game.
You are not writing a book or irecting a tv series.
Within that context, if everyone had fun then it was meaningful.

Filler, as a concept, is simply not applicable to roleplaying games.

>filler is not a concept that applies to rpgs
Random encounters.
"I talk to the inkeeper"
"Are there any girls there?"
"No, no, user, you must roleplay your trip going to town to buy fresh horses and rations. Down to the very last detail, like whether you buy drink coffee before or after breakfast."

There is nothing wrong with filler sessions. DM's just need to know how to run them properly.

What constitutes properly, then?

This

>moot is anti-skub
I've...been betrayed?

Jesus Christ there used to me so damn many namefags and tripfags.

Over time people got more and more upset about namefags and tripfags that even a tripfag posting an entirely relevant, on-topic post would end up derailing the thread due to the legion of people who would come out to REEEE at them about it, and that's about the point when it went from a small minority of people who hate tripfags because "muh user culture" or "muh social capital" or whatever, to a large majority of people who were just sick of every fucking thread being derailed every time someone insisted on nameposting when the thread didn't actually need it for a real reason.

It's one of the few times a mass shitposting campaign by a relative minority actually improved a board or Veeky Forums itself

I dunno, the board is pretty verifiably worse since they did that.

I actually liked trips myself. It let me know when to not listen to someone.

I just never really noticed them, not until as describes, people started hounding them en masse to the point where a tripfag posting in a thread was more or less a guaranteed derail, and people just considered any tripfag to automatically be a troll trying to derail the thread.

I never really noticed them either.
It seemed to be entirely a thing uptight faggots got upset about.

>chat room style replies
>reddit spacing
>every other poster is a fucking tripfag

This is why I laugh at people pretending the old days were better and nu-Veeky Forums is worse. It really isn't, not unless your only memories of those days are cherrypicked screenshots of the occasional great thread, forgetting the sea of shit that they panned out of.

It's like people who think music was better in [insert preferred decade] because they only listen to the greatest and most fondly-remembered hits of that decade. or even worse, because the complexity of popular music has, mathematically, been proven to go down over time, so they at least have some points.

>calling it reddit spacing despite predating reddit
>bitching about tripfags
>nu-Veeky Forums
Hey, you're that guy that ruined it for everybody! GET HIM!

I was doing it sarcastically, you fucking retard. Do I really need to hold your hand and explain this for you? I'm intentionally using the lingo of people bitching about how much better things were in the old days to mock them for it.

But as long as we're here, reddit was founded in 2005, that thread is from 2008.

It still predates reddit, user. And you're still the guy who RUINED IT FOR EVERYBODY.

>2008 predates 2005

user, double spacing has in fact existed for hundreds of years.

It's all filler for the eventual heat death of the universe.

Maybe thousands.

You are now aware that this style has been used in print for god knows how fucking long before the internet was even a thing in someone's imagination.

Because surprise: breaking up text makes it more readable.