How interested would you guys be in a module that captured the feel of playing a Soulsborne style game on tabletop?

How interested would you guys be in a module that captured the feel of playing a Soulsborne style game on tabletop?

How much would you be willing to pay for such a thing?

What kind of stuff would you want it to include?

A weird weapon table, high damage at all levels, and finnish dolls

>playing a Soulsborne style game on tabletop?
What do you mean?
As an RPG, I'm guessing, since there is literally a Dark Souls board game?

Not interested at all unless you clarify what you meant by that. Soulsborne means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, so a better explanation of exactly how it's souls inspired and what elements you're trying to capture would be necessary.

Essentially a module set up like one of the Souls games, where you explore a couple dozen square miles of ruins, fighting off hostile enemies whilst attempting to assassinate the former ruler of the world, all the while piecing together where you are and what exactly happened to cause things to go so tits up.

many people have tried and failed at this idea.
souls games just don't translate that well to tabletop.

So, an OSR game with XP also functioning as currency?

Not at all. Soulsborn games are great because they utilize their medium. You can't "just adapt" them to another and have it work. If you do, you end up with something that copies the surface elements and might manage to trick some gullible people into actually buying it - a few of them might even convince themselves that it wasn't wasted money - but most will see right through it.

Nothing.

If you want design advice you have to pay for it.

Nah, skill based combat is as close to the opposite to tabletop RPGs as you can get.

What kind of shitty games have you been playing?

Games that are more about vague tactical positioning, usage of resources, and character building.
Very little skill, much more armchair general stuff.

The closest you might get to dark souls style skill in a tabletop setting is something like beer pong.

I can't really think of any scenario in a tabletop game where you can go into a big dragon fight with no preperation or gear and a minimum level character and beat it by simply attacking and dodging appropriately.
Dice are used for that kind of thing instead.

So, basically, you're using 'Skill' to mean 'A specific kind of skill', since all those things you described are also, y'know, skills, and ones that an RPG can significantly challenge if a group is into that.

I agree that aspects of Souls combat can't be easily replicated in an RPG, but arguing that the fact it's 'skill based' is one of them is just ridiculous. I'll acknowledge there are a lot of shitty RPG's with no tactical depth to them whatsover, but there are also games where a skilled player can do significantly better than an unskilled one, even given all the same tools and pitted against the same scenario.

I can't really think of a game where playing skill can allow you to just straight murder a giant monster with no equipment, environmental help, or levels.
Usually, the things you come into the fight with are more important than anything you do in the fight. Actual execution is left almost entirely up to random chance.

When talking about games, the word "skill" usually means manual dexterity. Something that never, or at least very rarely, plays a part in tabletop rpgs.

Hold on.
A module?
Not a system?

Right.

...What? Since fucking when has 'Skill' specifically referred to manual dexterity?

Probably thinking about bloodborne, where Skill is the stat that basically translates as DEX.

Well, that sounds like an even worse idea than usual.
A module for which system, then?

I like how that Dark Souls board game did bosses. Before you fight the boss you shuffle their attack cards, which determine which tiles the boss will attack. But when the boss goes through all their cards or you lose, the card are not shuffled so you need to learn the pattern and plan accordingly.

I don't think OP means making a system with Dark Souls mechanics. I think he means a module set in a Dark Souls- like world. Which I'd be down for.

I don't know anything about these meme games. Somebody explain what OP wants.

i think he meant your finesse as a player

Essentially a module with a layout similar to one of the Souls games.