How do you reintroduce missed plot hooks, Veeky Forums?

How do you reintroduce missed plot hooks, Veeky Forums?

I gave the players a rival adventuring group. If the players screwed up a quest the other guys would do it and get the glory. Fostered rivalry and kept the players dedicated to finishing shit.

If it's important the players are involved in the quest I'd just have news get to them that whatever it was is getting worse.

Of course this is all for if they heard about the quest and didn't do it. If they just missed the quest entirely then you can just throw it into the next session. Morton's Fork that shit, all roads lead to the plot.

Just have more and more rumor about the Necromancer King who is planning on cloaking the world in 1000 years of darkness the closer he gets to completing it, then have the apocalypse come when they are celebrating legalizing gay marriage.

You forgot to mention soy.

>reintroduce missed plot hooks

I don't. I either advance the thread and generate new hooks, leave it in place if it's a static thing, or sometimes just toss it aside because it's obviously not that interesting.
If I'm uncertain what I want to do, or I have too many of these floating around for some reason, I'll roll a die on the non-static ones to decide whether to advance or drop.

For example: The Tomb of the Fallen can sit there with its legendary treasure for all I care, it's all set up and waiting for players to decide to take a whack at it.
The Cult of the Sleeping Hound might have a plot hook where they're stealing artworks to try to find an original one that contains a secret inscription, but if the players don't do anything for a while, the Cult will advance to the next step of their plans. The players will find out, perhaps as news of a new series of crimes, or maybe the cult starts to exhibit real power whether political or magical or divine.

OTOH, if I decide the Cult's plans are as boring as the players think, (or I roll 1-3 on a d6 if I'm dicing my way through a proliferation of plot hooks) then I'll just have them get caught and the players will hear about some weirdo cultists being swept up by the King's men and locked away for their crimes.

take the side thing or pointless thing they got distracted with, let them ride that, Then make the bits that got their attention disapear and slap the main plot hook in their face.

What does soy have to do with it?

With a bludgeon.

Yummy pasta

i just let it go, no point shoe horning a silver skull key to a a magical well, when the PCs just want to buy a town to embezzle money from

>I gave the players a rival adventuring group.
Well, I gotta steal this idea now.

Certainly not in an MMO where a characterized plot does NOT fucking blog.
fuck you metzen you fucking retard

Whoa, are you okay, user? Do you need to lie down or anything?

Never fails.
What do you think is better when it comes to combat:
>Making them a completely independent entity, having their completely own group stengths/weaknesses
>Making them the mirror opposite of players so they are evenly matched
?

I'm a sucker for the mirror opposite rivals. Having a rival wizard who was similar-but-darker go full on evil as mine drifted towards good created one of the most engaging character relationships in the campaign.

Steer whatever they're doing at the time back to the plot?

[Cult in town but heroes want to steal depose the mayor instead?

Well guess who's a high ranking member of the cult?

Mirror is great. Independent if the secondary party is really well written

"Hey you dumb fucks, you missed my obvious plot hook back there so now I've gotta tell you about it."

Aside from the obvious, what are some good, more subtle ways to create a mirror of the party?

I'd go for similar but not a complete mirror, and maybe a different theme:
If the PCs are say a Barbarian, a Druid, a Ranger and a Cleric of a nature god, the Rival group could be full-on magic, Sorcerer, Hexblade, Bard and Paladin.
If the group are grungy lowlifes the other group could be Nobles, etc, pp.

Mirroring things usually isn't subtle unless its being done by a Doppelganger.