Every person has a different mental scale for what "character level" means

Every person has a different mental scale for what "character level" means.

name a character (from anything) that you think fits each level.

>1
>3
>5
>10
>15
>20

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6HsQRTBA6-Q&ab_channel=WonkaVisionTV
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Robert_Ervin_Howard#Conan_the_Barbarian
gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wut?

1. Bilbo Baggins at the beginning if the Hobbit
3. Bilbo Baggins at the end of the Hobbit
5. Robinhood
10. Gaston
15. Hercules
20. Merlin

>1
Person with some basic training. May have a few years work experience behind themselves (like towns guards or foot soldiers), but probably no major battles beyond nabbing a purse snatcher, or blindly firing arrows into advancing troops
>3
Someone with proper experience behind their belt.
>5
Seasoned Veteran
>10
Action Hero
>15
more or less a one-man army
>20
An epic hero known in legends for generations to come.

1. Diddy Kong
3. Falco from Star Fox
5. Neil degrasse tyson
10. Aragorn when he’s introduced as Strider
15. Batman
20. Tom Bombadil

1. Army grunt
3. Marine
5. Special forces
10. Batman
15. Einstein
20. Barack Obama

1. Tokiko
3. Miniboss fairies
5. Cirno
10. Hakurei Reimu (assuming she abides by spellcard rules and doesn't just make herself invulnerable the entire time)
15. Remilia Scarlet (again, spellcard rules)
20. Yakumo Yukari

So like, for a fighter I would say

>1
Dar the Beastmaster

>3
Conan

>5
Jamie Lannister

>10
Lancelot

>15
Achilles

>20
Glorfindel

I am not a burger, I refuse to think in D&D terms, sorry.

Awful lot of reddit on Veeky Forums lately.

>1
David Bowie
>3
Thin White Duke
>5
Jarreth
>10
The Sovereign
>15
Ziggy Stardust
>20
David Bowie (ascended Blackstar mode)

Alternatively
>1
Ziggy Stardust
>3
Diamond Dogs
>5
Pin Ups
>10
Heroes
>15
Scary Monsters and Super zcreeps
>20
Blackstar

a cuck
the farmer from dbz
a person who has gone to the gym for a month
Jack LaLanne without french cuck genes and a primarily meat based diet.

>never read any Conan

I don't, though. I read what the system says it means, or talk to my group about establishing a common frame of reference if the system doesn't specify.

>15
A THICC germanic/nordic who works out
>20
A THICC germanic/nordic who works out and has a drop of the god's blood in his veins

1. Mr Satan
2. Videl
3. Yamcha
4. Krillin
5. Tien
6. Piccolo
7. Trunks
8. Gohan
9. Vegeta
10. Goku

>Not making Cirno lvl 9
One job, user

>unironically listing John Cena as a lvl 1
are you for real?

>0
Gilbert Renton
>1
JoJo Fine
>3
Random NSF/UNATCO troop
>5
MJ12 troops, JC Denton (early game)
>10
Paul Denton, Gunther Hermann & Anna Navarre
>15
JC Denton (endgame)
>20
???????

I guess this serves as proof that power level fags really are as subhuman as they say or, worse, snot-faced teens.

Doesn't matter as long as it's internally consistent. I don't care if level zorblax isn't twice as powerful as level dweebong, just that two characters at either level are roughly the same power.

Oh, let me get in on this.

>1
A limp wristed teenager.
>5
A reasonably competent adult with an established career.
>10
A town-level hero. Someone very competent and genuinely high regarded.
>15
A powerful general in an army, someone who's both respected and feared for their prowess.
>20
Literal god. Gilgamesh, Hercules, Merlin, some kind of transcendent powerfucker capable of reality warping bullshit.

>power level between average Veeky Forums poster and competent adult
>same as the difference between a famous general and a literal god

Pretty accurate, right?

>Ziggy Stardust lower than fucking Diamond Dogs and Pin Ups

>1
corkus
>3
bazuso
>5
evil spirit manifested
>10
apostle
>15
guts
>20
god hand

>bazuso
Fuck, you made beer shoot out of my nose. Bazuso. BAZUUUUSOOOOOO.

>Jamie Lannister
>Stronger than Conan

>1
puck
>3
pippin
>5
schierke
>10
serpico
>15
zodd
>20
griffith post egg wish

i heard he slayed 30 men!

>slays 30 men
>immediately dies in a 1v1 conflict to a teenager with a sword that's way too big
I mean, it's gotta be tough to be the literal definition of terrible. Corkus is just ironically bad, Bazuso is genuinely bad.

The difference between level 1 and level 5 is enormous, at least in 5e

>5x hit dice
>3rd level spells vs 1st level spells
>2x attacks for fighters/barbs
>major class feature for others

way more so than the difference between 15 and 20

A more accurate list:
>1
Conan the Boy

>3
Conan the Man

>5
Conan the Barbarian

>10
Conan the Hero

>15
King Conan

>20
King Conan the Barbarian

>goddamn Tom bombadil
Straddle my dick more

1 - basic training.
3 - field experience
5 - hard veteran
10 - Conan, The fellowship of the ring, Sam Vimes.
15 - Named characters from warhammer fantasy.
20 - borderline manteling some kind of divine / spiritual aspect.

1: Batman (depending on the author)
3: Batman (depending on the author)
5: Batman (depending on the author)
10: Batman (depending on the author)
15: Batman (depending on the author)
20: Batman (depending on the author)

I've been wanting to get into Conan, what book do I start with

Fighters
>1
Apollo Creed
>3
Rangers of the North
>5
Rangers of the Grey Company
>10
Aragorn
>15
Heracles
>20
Fëanor, son of Finwë, High King of the Noldor

lol (depending on the author)

I know people have already called you out on Conan, but I'd just like to personally comment on how disappointed I am in you. You know you're a fuckwit right? Now go read the entire works of Conan you fucking scrub. And don't come back until you have.

>1
Chubby militia larpers
>3
Nasty girls
>5
grunts
>10
10th mountain, 101st airborne
>15
Seals
>20
SADSOG

>1
Average grunt
>3
John Wick
>5
Commander Shepard
>10
Odysseus
>15
King Arthur
>20
Paul Bunyan

>level 1
>grunts
>directing artillery, kicking doors, shooting hadjis
>dies to an angry cat
>level 3
>john wick
>solos hoardes of similarly equipped badasses
>killed by a single ork with an axe
Nigga, wat?

I am similarly clueless but just to let you know, nowadays you can get full compilations of all the Conan stuff in cheapo ebook form. I have one on my ereader

What kind of level 3 characters do you have that die to a single orc?

What kind of level 3 character do you know that can go on a spree through an army of goons?

Were John's enemies in the movies really badasses though? For all we know his enemies are just generic mooks/random garbage men who take part time jobs as assassins. He still occasionally runs into Generic Big Guys and gets stonewalled relatively easily if he's not prepared. It's been a while since I've watched them so correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya but I'm looking for audiobook form for when I'm sandblasting at work

In movie 1, it was high tier gangster mooks. The kind of people that would be the "sub boss" of a buddy cop flick. In 2, a vast majority of the dudes he slices right through are professional assasins. He even goes up against the guy who basically took his place, king badass.

>implying normal Bowie isn't lvl 20 on the down-low
He'll be back soon for sure, this must just be an elaborate marketing stunt.

>Fëanor
kinslayers not welcome

youtube.com/watch?v=6HsQRTBA6-Q&ab_channel=WonkaVisionTV

>1 Veeky Forums
>3 /v/
>5 /a/
>10 /tv/
>15 /int/
>20 /pol/

>25 Veeky Forums

>1
Guy with a month of martial arts training.
>3
Rick Sanchez
>5
Twilight Sparkle
>10
Jesus of Nazareth
>15
Ryougi Shiki
>20
Captain America

Any of them, really. The series isn't that consistent or in any real order. Just think of it as Conan narrating his adventures and he gets some details wrong.

>Cap higher than Ryougi

Assuming a 1-20 trend, for martial characters, because magic can keep scaling forever.
>1
Some guy that has received the basic training to hold his shit the right way, and hit someone without hitting himself or the guy next to him.
>3
Some guy that has been through enough shit to start actually knowing his way around it. Can still die really fast if he's careless or unlucky though.
>6-7
Peak human ability for martial characters. At this point, most don't get "better", though they may certainly new some new tricks. All further getting good from here is due to external power. This is also the point old heroes and shit who haven't been adventuring recently will revert to, because the gallons of bugbear blood, dragon gal-bladder excretions, and so on are out of their systems, and the spirits and deities that owed them one lost interest.
>10
Mythological human. Like Achiles or some shit. Either they had a bit of help, or their legend has outgrown them. Or maybe a cowboy with a six-shooter in ye-olde crusades. Or maybe Batman, with his gadgets.
>15
Something is clearly different about this guy. Whatever he is, he ain't human in a way we'd appreciate. Hercules? The Flash? This is the kind of shit that makes up the mid teens. At this point you are dealing with lesser gods, or at least things that can slap their shit in.
>20
Superman/Saitama. At this point, power has lost meaning. They have hit the limit of what you can actually accomplish through kinetic energy. They punch people so hard it stops raining, and the year gets 90 minutes longer.
They had better hope they have a story ready for what it means to be human, or how to find meaning in things, because this is it. Anything they fight dies, most things as strong as they are have ways to not fight them for eternity, and anything as dedicated to fighting as them can't be beaten by pure kinetic force, so there's no point.

> john wick at level 3
Don't be a twat, user.

>Any of them higher than Rick Sanchez

There's always that one user that takes the topic too serially.

Level to me is like, half actual competence of the character and half plot importance/the stakes of that particular story.

What a cuck. The progression is clearly
1 /b/
3 /pol/
5 /gif/
10 /s/
15 Veeky Forums
20 Veeky Forums

1: Simon at the beginning of Gurren Lagann
3: Simon at episode 3
5: Episode 7
10: Episode 11
15: Episode 15
20: Episode 22
Ascension to Godhood: Episode 27

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Robert_Ervin_Howard#Conan_the_Barbarian

I'd say Gods of the North (AKA the Frost Giant's Daughter).

But lots of those stories are good.

Or The Tower of the Elephant. Also good.

>1
May and Day
>3
Dr. Pavel
>5
Smee and Maimen
>10
CIA
>15
Batman
>20
Bane

I'm going by raw ability and not outside factors like the mystic eyes. Something that basically maxes your crit range and makes them do infinite damage isn't really possible to put into level terms.

That's like saying you'd put Cap at low levels because "without the serum" or some shit.

1. Frodo
3. Chief Brody
5. Max Payne
10. Conan
15. Lo Pan
20. King Kong

Even if it gets reverted he doesn't turn into a beanpole who is incapable of fighting.

>1
Argonian slave
>3
Town guards, Imperial legionnaries
>5
Indoril guards, buoyant armigers
>10
Telvanni counsellors
>15
Tribunal, the Nerevarine after Dagoth Ur
>20
Nerevarine during Landfall

> 1
Taran
> 3
John McClane
> 5
Rasputin
> 10
Yoda
> 15
The Doctor
> 20
Leto Atreides II

Does Leto II really have any abilities which are similar to having a high character level, and not to boons/templates being applied to him?

You basically went:
>1
someone not stronk

>3
a bit stronk

>5
stronk

>10
more stronker

>15
very stronk

>20
super stronk

is this the level progression of the famous Faggot class?

>1
sneed
>3
wojack
>5
pepe
>10
el goblino
>15
spurdo
>20
bane

>Hercules
>anything but level 20
Merlin wasn't even that impressive. He's an archetypal wizard, but he never showed magic like a level 20 wizard could. Hercules is the peak of physical performance. A level 20 fighter at least.

As it should be.

1 - Rincewind in the first few Discworld novels
3 - Garret from Thief
5 - Robin Hood
10 - He-Man
15 - Guts from Berserk
20 - The Red Wizard Ommadon from The Flight of Dragons

I play mostly OSR D&D

Well he's got ancestral memory and prophecy and shit from the get-go, then a few THOUSAND years of defeating enemies, accumulating experience points.

African

South American

Asian

North American

Australian

European

>>Epic
Antarctican

>1
Dude who spent the past twenty or whatever years of his life doing quite literally fucking nothing but licking moisture off the floor
>3
A man who realized there's more to life than licking moisture off the floor, but has absolutely no idea what he's doing so sports some of the shittiest fucking gear imaginable
>5
He's getting there, and now can hold his own against some lesser monsters so long as he has other folk watching his back
>10
That man is now a competent warrior or wizard or what have you, his gear isn't amazing but it's nice, his skills haven't peaked but they're honed, he can kill most lesser beasts and men himself with little issues and can take on powerful monsters with his fellows
>15
The mans overconfidence was short lived when he realizes even the most basic of bandits past this point wield ancient world destroying weapons, even toddlers will be nearly indestructible and wield the stick of annihilation, as if some cruel and oddly kinky god is punishing him for his hubris. He silently weeps under his masterfully crafted and enchanted jeweled helmet as he's forced to face yet another monster made entirely out of women's feet
>20
The man sports only the finest equipment of the god themselves, and so practiced is his hand he may cut entire mountains away from his path; despite this, the man is dead on the inside, he's seen large breasted frog people swallow his fellows whole while explaining in disturbing amounts of detail how they're digested, everyone he meets now is a beastfolk with an oddly coloured mane asking if he wishes to see their undergarments which are exclusively that of toddlers. He sits in the street of the town, he'd go inside the inn if there was one, but for some reason every single house he enters is a brothel housing nothing but children with abnormally large eyes.

>5. Neil degrasse tyson
A level 5 Faggot?

I can believe it

Nah dude, gotta think of actual power levels in a spellcasting sense I guess

>1
David Jones (Bard)

>3
David Bowie (Bard)

>5
Halloween Jack (Bard)

>10
Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane (Sorcerer, possibly Warlock)

>15
Thin White Duke (Bard/Wizard multiclass)

>20
Blackstar (Bard), eternal legend

There you go.

I just realized I could make a setting where all the deities or sources/archetypes of magic in the world are just different varieties of David Bowie. I don't know how to feel about this or how vigorously I'm about to start writing that.

BIG
DICK
BAZUSO

Movie Conan maybe? Though I think 3rd level is too low for even movie Conan.

>1
Grimm during First Flight
>3
PJ after becoming Galm 2
>5
Bartlett
>10
Swordsman
>15
Yellow 13
>20
Pixy

>Dar the Beastmaster
He overcomes too many enemies to be 1st level. I'd maybe put him at 3rd.

>Jamie Lannister
I've not watched that much Game of Thrones, but my feeling is that while 5th level might be okay for him, he certainly shouldn't be higher than Conan.

>Conan
Some depends on what point in his life you're talking about, but generally speaking, I'd maybe put him at 10th.

>Lancelot
Equal to Conan maybe?

>Achilles
15th or 20th, for sure.

>Glorfindel
I don't read that elf shit.

I just went to the Robert E Howard section on the Project Guttenberg site and started reading the Conan shit in the release order (I did skip the poem though). I'm only about halfway through, but I've it's worked out fine for me so far.

gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH

>Though I think 3rd level is too low for even movie Conan.
Hmm. Maybe not. Maybe 3rd is okay. 3 or 5, I'd say.

Ziggy Stardust is pretty clearly a GOO warlock
>There's a starman waiting in the sky
>He's told us not to blow it
>Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
>He told me
>Let the children lose it
>Let the children use it
>Let all the children boogie

I'd say so. I mean, theoretically, in the concept of the album Ziggy was sort of a messenger or herald of sorts. He could be a Warlock or a Cleric, but more likely Warlock before being smote by his celestial patron.

Actually, holy shit, that's exactly what he is. Use Xanathar's. He's 100% a Bard/Warlock multiclass with a Celestial patron.

D&D levels are a gamist abstraction so no real character fits them unless the character is explicitly designed to emulate them.

Red Nails
Beyond the Black River
Tower of the Elephant
The Frost Giant's Daughter

>1 - Skavenslave
>3 - Clanrat
>5 - Stormvermin
>8 - Clan chieftain
>10 - Eshin assassin
>11 - Grey Seer
>12 - Verminlord
>13 - The Horned Rat