HBO has just gotten the rights to make a series about your favourite game/setting/whatever and for some stupid reason...

HBO has just gotten the rights to make a series about your favourite game/setting/whatever and for some stupid reason have asked you to head the project, where you have complete creative licence to do what you want in order to make it a show.

What's the setting & what's the general plot?

Other urls found in this thread:

tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Star Wars. It's called "Sith Lord" and it's an 8 episode anthology series about Sith in the years between Darth Bane's declaration of the Rule of 2 and Palpatine's ascension. I'd do a first season set on Coruscant about a human sith named Darth Decimus who's a senator about two hundred years BBY. He gets involved with a Twi'Lek Jedi whom he tempts to the dark side. Together they plot a biological attack on the Jedi temple and the senate. S1 would have as prominent supporting characters Bothan journalists, a blind Wookiee Jedi exile who acts as a vigilante in the lower levels, Ithorians running soup kitchens, etc. Lots of political intrigue; basically Breaking Bad in the SW universe. It's still SW, but I'd make it as dark as you reasonably could for (think a hard-edged PG-13). Each season let different creators do their own take on a Sith storyline with a master and apprentice trying to take down the Jedi and Republic.

We BattleTech now

>Delta Green

There's the obvious temptation to just do the official stories of the series, from the raid on Fairfield's hideout up to the MAJESTIC civil war and beyond. And maybe that stuff would all be happening in the background, with all the high level NPCs from the books and so on

But if it was me in charge, I'd rather go down to a lower level and do a more "monster of the week" type story, concentrating on making each episode good rather than having an overarching metaplot that would inevitably just disappoint everyone. There'd be a recurring cast of characters that changed as members died, went insane, retired, etc. A street level view rather than the overarching view of the setting you find in the tie in novels. I can think of a lot of scenarios I or other people have written which would work great (or even better) as TV show episodes.

>Star Wars EotE
>story follows a small mercenary band that goes from being a bunch of nobodies to being a powerful and somewhat wealthy group
>Fist season covers the "early" years of the group up until the founding of the Rebel Alliance. The group forms around a guy who fought in the Clone Wars and has a few cybernetic bits to prove it. He ends up dying heroically in the season finale to set it up for the mantle of leadership to be passed on to one of his subordinates.
>second season covers from the founding of the Alliance to the destruction of the first Death Star. The group finally gets a corvette to replace their old hauler and get a larger crew to match. They start taking on larger operations, occasionally clashing with Rebels but mostly dealing with pirates and underworld. Main character chafes at the role of leader, but does his best even if he would rather be out on the front lines. Season colludes with the band's leader getting wounded in a way similar to their old boss, surviving thanks to implants, and stepping aside to be more of an adviser and a doer than a planner, letting one of the other cast members take the center role.
>third season covers from the destruction of the first Death Star through the surrender of the Galactic Empire. The group starts to get into grander engagements and schemes between Rebels, Imperials, pirates, and crime bosses up until the destruction of the second death star, then at the conclusion of it all they're called to Coruscant to help provide security in the Imperial sector as everything spirals out of control around them.
>none of the major characters from the main Star Wars story line make any sort of appearance, just some of the events everyone would have heard of, like the Rebels being massacred at Hoth, being referenced here and there.

>HBO has just gotten the rights to make a series about your favourite game/setting/whatever
WHATEVER you say?
It's a dark, gritty and edgy reboot of Keijo starring a Asian girl from The Bronx.

Jovian Chronicles
Season 1 - "Odyssey"

8 part miniseries. Pick any campaign, it doesn't matter.

Eye of the Beholder, a documentary series on beholders and how good they are at everything, throw in a lot of vanity and dead adventurers for a sort of Biopic of different beholders and their daily routines, chaos, crime, and collecting

God forgive me...

>I AM AMERICA-SAN

What I wouldn't give to see that live on tv.

vampire the masquerade is even more about gratuitous goth-tits than it was already.
I dread to think what they'd do with Wraith.

this show was already made, it was called kindred

and it was dreadful.
Next time they should have sabbat PCs instead of cammarilla.

This. Battletech would be dead easy to sell to HBO by just saying "Game of Thrones with Giant Robots" The question is, which era? I vote for 2nd or 3rd succession wars. Clan Invasion can be left for once the setting has been established after a few seasons.

All the Fantasy Flight 40k RPGs.

Narrative weaving in and out of various factions within and without the Imperium as a Black Crusade gathers at the edge of the Imperium, heading towards a large warzone. The primary characters are a new team of Inquisitorial goons on a hive city directly in the path of both the war and the Chaos incursion, a squad of Guardsmen on the front lines of a massive war, a Deathwatch kill team fighting in the most pitched battles against an ancient alien menace, a Rogue Trader trying to bring civilization to the lost souls at the fringes, and a small cabal at the heart of the Black Crusade trying to hold it together while also steering it towards their god's goals. Convoluted Game of Thrones with horror and sci-fi elements.

>Shadowrun
The wire style show set in 2070's seattle. Series starts with a history lesson in some corp-run school.

Wait wait wait. Not just a show of what setting I want, but an HBO show? With all of the usual practices that come with that?

Fuck it, all in.

We're doing a Mass Effect HBO series. There are lots of things I could have done, better things even that deserve a faithful adaptation.

But those choices wouldn't result in onscreen Asari sex scenes with real actresses in heavy makeup. Because HBO will absolutely do that. And I'll burn a choice to make that happen.

I'll be equally happy with either a sort of adaptation of the games or an original story set in the Mass Effect universe that doesn't involve the Reapers.

>mass effect hbo miniseries
>with an ultraviolent renegade shep

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

I feel like HBO would want to have their cake and eat it too, so we would get Shep and Femshep as two different characters. The first two human specters. Partners, even. One is paragon shep, one is renegade shep.

I wanna say... dudeShep goes paragon, and femShep goes Renegade. Paragon shep is the one that dies during the collector attack, and without his calming influence renegade shep goes off the rails and is all for selling his body to Cerberus.

Warhammer Fantasy. I'd do a TV show about the rise of nagash. Have the first season cover Nagash learning dark magics, as well as scheming with Arkhan and Co. to overthrow Thutep. The season will culminate with Thutep being buried alive and Nagash rising to power.

To HBO it up, we'll show things from Thutep's side as well, as he tries his best to bring Nehekhara together in piece. Though his civil reforms show amazing insight, and the audience roots for him due to his idealism and good looks, he finds that political plotters are turning things against him. It'll also fulfills the obligatory HBO sex scene thing.

I don't think I'm enough of a lore buff to head an Elder Scrolls TV show. What I can do is pawn off the work of making a Jurassic Park TV show about smugglers using Isla Nubla/Sorna as their base where all the gritty HBO crap is used as a vehicle to sell creative dinosaur murders.

And then in season 3 when people think we're stretching the premise a Predator drops in to shake things up.

>poor acting
>boring story
>only reason they ever actually say clan names or use the word "kindred" is in a contrived way to remind people of what the show is "inspired" by
>vampires going out in the day time, which all by itself is enough to turn any vampire related media into shit
Fuck that shit show.

>>vampires going out in the day time, which all by itself is enough to turn any vampire related media into shit
Dracula was shit?

>Gaunt's Ghosts. Band of Brothers style.
>Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines miniseries, choosing the "go my own way" ending would make the most sense I think but I think siding with the anarchs would be more satisfying to the audience
>Dresden Files, but have it actually follow the books

A series following a retired paladin after her many years of slaying evil. She ends up doing one last mission where she decimates a cult, though she fails to keep them from summoning a demon. However, this demon is an infant. In initially she was just going to kill the demon, but after it adorably calls her "Mama" she has a change of heart and decides to keep it.

The series is a heartwarming tale about how a small child helps a cold women see the light of the world again. It'll be advertised as a slice of life/comfy show.

I'll rephrase. It's enough to make me immediately lose all interest in it. I like my vampires a very specific way, and being able to go out in the day time is pretty much the biggest no-no I can think of.

This is going to make some people mad, but:

>favorite whatever
Worm/Weaver Dice.

>setting
Worm's setting, obviously. For those who don't know, it's a grounded, pseudo-realistic superhero setting that is relatively low-powered compared to other superhero settings.

>general plot
We aren't even going to touch Brockton Bay. West coast, plot revolves around the Elite as antagonists, never leaves street level, and explores things Worm didn't, like corporate teams and the larger cape culture. Independent hero tinker as the main character, tries to resist forcible recruitment from heroes and villains alike.

>MtG
>Eldrazis comes to Theros with a new powerful creature
>Jace and the watchdogs come and try to fight them
>they can't win
>they motivate the gods to come to ravnica to create a counter attack plan
>the series starts
>the watchdogs have informations from other plans since ravnica transformed into a powerful bastion of energy and spirituality

In most episodes, small stories about plans being helped by the watchdogs about little problems, corruptions, creatures, science, knowledge, ect...
In the main redline, the god ravnica plan is attacked by eldrazis and watchdogs are obliged to seal the whole plan, then they go to find tricolor gods, supposed to be more powerful, and to bring each one of them to a planet associated with a shard of alara. That way, they would transform progenitus into a dragon god, the only one able to destroy the eldrazi augoeides.

Generation kill: Halo edition

Elric of Melnibone or Theives World

You know you want this.

Bioshock Infinite. Starring Christian Bale as Booker Dewitt and a younger Zooey Deschanel as Elizabeth.

Or Dune.

Or a historical piece about the Punic Wars, starring Idris Elba as Hannibal and Christoph Waltz as Cato the Elder.

>rolling around inna warthog
>"accidentally" kill some local endangered wildlife
>get lost onna halo
>captain earth, the asshole spartan, constantly stealing their gear
>encino man giving a rousing "SPACE MARINES. WE ARE SPACE MARINES! ELITES ARE ENEMIES. THEY ARE ELITE, BUT THEY ARE NOT SPACE MARINES" speech
>singing space oddity in between ops
>MFW

Dragonlance, for sure. Each season is one book from the original trilogy. They need a modern retelling that doesn't have so much cringe in interpersonal relationships and gains some gravitas instead. Each season would be thirteen episodes with no specific length requirements. If the first three seasons go well, move to the Twins saga and maybe even go into the second generation stuff if interest still holds beyond that.

OK, get me Chris Hemsworth and Diego Luna. And Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola.

We're going Lankhmar.

I had my own idea, but fuck that it's this now.

The world needs a really good adaptation of Transmetropolitan.

See, Tekumel would work for a while, but eventually HBO'spolitical slant(the solution is ALWAYS to fight authority) would mean that I'd have to watch a priestess of Hlorumil start a revolution, and it would be successful. And I just wouldn't be able to stand for that bullshit.

They would butcher it so thoroughly that Spider Jerusalem himself would get off of his fictional chair and put a bullet in his head.

Well yes. Of course. But I can dream, man.

I don't watch much television what's unique about HBO series beyond gratuitous sex?

Several of their dramas were really good? Well written, well acted, high budget. All that shit. Not all, obviously, but several.

If it ever does happen, Patrick Stewart has called dibs on being Spider.

As great as he is, it might be a couple of years late for that.

They put a ton of money into their shows. That means, for one thing, a higher chance of having multiple seasons. Also, you can shoot for the stars as far as production is concerned; so CGI, special effects, costumes, makeup, you can have that stuff exactly as you want it.

if HBO got licence to adapt horus heresy, 40k would be plauged by normies, and sjws

This book

I'll make the darkest, bleakest live action version of the first three Dragonlance books. It'll be so horribly edgy that it'll wrap around to funny and become a weird cult classic.

It may be that this page was out of context, but this is possibly the dumbest, most 90's thing I've ever read.

Hmm, tragedy looper, about a group of kids with time travel items going back in time to stop certain events in their city.

>John Goodman as The Beast and Johnny Depp as Fred Christ

Wow I didn't know how badly I wanted that.

Worm, or Twig. Their episodic nature seem perfect for a tv show. I haven't read the author's other works yet, but I'm guessing they'd fit too

Or they could go with the setting of the current book, post Golden Morning. Holy shit, what I wouldn't give to see more of that universe than just one corner.

EXCEPT THAT DRACULA DOES IT IN THE NOVEL "DRACULA" THAT INVENTED MODERN VAMPIRES.

It's not out of context. That's the entire fucking comic condensed into one page of bullshit.

The buildup to the 4th Succession War would be a good starting point. Operation Doppleganger and Wolf's Dragoon's time in the Combine would introduce most of the main players and Houses as well as setting the scene for the 4th Succession War itself.

So what? A new thing was invented that I like better.
Ketchup used to be made out of oysters, but I'll bet you prefer modern over original, am I right? Turn your cruise control off, it's not a big deal.

>Idris Elba as Hannibal

I can't think of anything that would trigger /pol/ and Veeky Forums collectively more than this. Especially since you know there'd be a ton of black on white sex scenes if it was HBO.

>NO ORIGINAL IS ALWAYS BETTER NO EXCEPTIONS REEEEEEE

How autistic is this fag?

West End games Star Wars D6. Set in the early days of the Old Republic. Very early. As in the Republic itself has not officially been founded yet. Blasters do not yet have stun settings, most personal technology has power cables running two battery packs people wear on their belts. Droid brains are simple and barely able to follow basic commands. Hyperspace travel takes forever, because there are very few safe hyperspace routes mapped out and it can take days to calculate a hyperspace jump between Star systems. The collapse of the Hutt Empire is still relatively fresh in everyone's memories.

Jedi do not yet exist. Neither do the Sith, as a philosophy at least. The species by that name still exists but is largely isolated. Mandalorians exist as a shadowy myth of brutal Raiders on the edge of known space.

Into this early prototype of the setting we all know and love to rag on comes a team of diplomats. Their job is to open trade negotiations between several smaller independent planets. This effort will eventually grow into the founding of the Old Republic, and the basic plot line will follow the story of Babylon 5, without any Chosen One bulshit. Occasional force-users might make an appearance, but none of them will be pivotal or all important to the plot. There might be a subplot in season 3 about disparate groups of force users being gathered for a conference but eventually leads to the founding of the Jedi Order, but it will not be a main plot point. The series will largely revolves around the efforts and Adventures, and political machination, involved in founding what would eventually grow to be the Republic.

>Shadowrun
As another user has stated. I would just do Shadowrun Storytime. Maybe the guy who played Drax could play Dervish.

I was going to suggest something like that, but in a more Burn Notice Style. Just Burn Notice with Cyberware and Orcs.

Jesus christ, yes. But who would play Verity?

"The Babylon project was a dream given form. It was attempted many times, and failed all but once. Its original goal: to prevent another war by creating a neutral ground for negotiation. Its new goal: to unite the Minbari and end the threat of the Shadows... for now, at least.
This is the story of the forgotten Babylon station.

The year is 1260. The name of this place? Babylon Four."

>Traveller

Sprawling series, set during the Fifth Frontier War. Several different plotlines running at once- a Free Trader crew caught in the middle of all this, high-level political intrigue (local Imp/Zho leaders, possibly Arden, Darrians, or Sword Worlds too), big battle scenes, and possibly Ancient shenanigans in the background.

Rifts. The three galaxies setting. A 12 part mini series, Band of Brothers Style, about the conflict between the CCW and the Kreeghor Empire.

The final episode would revolve around the overly large cast, mostly a single ragtag platoon from the CCW military, splits in 3 parts. Each of those three parts would go on to be its own series. One group, largely the officers, would go on to get embroiled in brutal Byzantine politics between the CCW, the paradise Federation, and the Splugorth. That series would be all backstabbing and Shady business deals and a small group of genuinely good Patriots trying to hold on to their morals as they are forced to compromise and deal with the scum of the Multiverse. This series would play out like a cross between The Godfather and West Wing.

The second group, consisting largely of Hotshot power armor Pilots and fighter pilots, would continue the war. And endless series of battles against a foe of similar numbers, similar technology, and occasional super soldiers which they have to struggle to deal with. The Invincible guardsmen are no joke. So it's basically a live-action exosquad.

The third group, consisting largely of injured veterans and psychologically traumatized soldiers being sent home for discharge and retirement. Layover somewhere close to the United worlds of Warlock, the transport is waylaid by Pirates. A Warlock Marine team responds to their distress call, but something goes wrong and the ship is pulled through a rift and crashes on Rifts Earth. The survivors must band together, to try to find a way to get home or at the very least get a distress signal off. They are trapped on the northeast side of the dinosaur swamp and even if they could get to civilization, civilization on Rifts Earth is technologically behind everywhere else for the most part. Everything except weapons basically. That series would play out a lot like a cross between Battlestar Galactica and The biblical Exodus.

The Black Company. Expand a bit on battles otherwise glossed over, but be sure to hammer in that the Company wins through deceit and clever tactics, not just being somehow more badass then locally trained troops. Emphasize how badly outclassed they are compared to the Taken and other powerful sorcerers. Keep sex scenes only where appropriate, fuckin HBO.

No thanks, Ward is boring as shit.

While I appreciate corporate mandated asari porn, I would unironically love a high budget Mass Effect show.

Fantasy gets all the cool toys. We haven't had a good space opera show on TV in years.

read a cool idea from an user a while back
>opens with training
>asshole DS and Other officers
>DS made to be the "Bad guy" to the new recruits
>shipped out to some shithole world
>raped by filthy xenos
>most of squad killed off
>ends with survivor as an asshole DS training recruits

Fuck yeah!

I mean, there is already a show about the Watch being made but HBO would just pour a lot more money into it.

Alright, but HBO is gonna need to put up the money for a time machine so we can grab the Blackadder cast in their prime to do a faithful Ciaphas Cain series.

SMEN: The TV Show

The first few episodes introduce a bunch of weirdly interesting Fallen London characters, only for all the best ones to die. The show then follows the less likable characters as they go increasingly mad. This goes on for an interminably long, boring, soul crushingly awful middle segment.

Towards the end the overwhelming misery of the show starts bleeding over even more. The timeslot changes all the time, and there are long and increasingly frequent hiatuses. Actors are changed without any acknowledgment. The plotting gets sloppy and a some key points are lazily retconned. The audio and video quality gradually decline, to the point where artifacting and a low volume, high pitch whine are part of the televised show.

Scene for scene, though, the quality of the writing remains top notch. Somehow that alone manages to convince you that everything's happening for a reason, and if you just stick with the show the fnale will be glorious.

It isn't. But the show is a cult favorite with diehard fans anyway.

>Fading Suns (possibly not my favorite but the one I most obsessed over)

Well. Sky IS the fucking limit, I guess. Interestingly, it does even have some GOT overtones (courtly shit) and interestinly enough I did toy with a campaign idea that did seem kinda more of a series.

A problem can be that I kinda envisioned it over a single character and I'm not totally sure about the others, but the real problem describing it is that no one knows the setting. I don't think just saying that every faction (and their spies) has slightly different objectives for this Lost World saga, the fact that the Vuldroks are gonna get the short end of the stick or that the Church is gonna get VERY divided on how this shit is gonna end is gonna make anyone interested enough: I should be more sure about the characters first.

Fuck yes. Shadowrun Storytime

>HBO is gonna need to put up the money for a time machine
I bet they have for it at this point.

>have enough for it

Tim Curry, James Earl Jones, Patrick Stewart, Adina Menzel, Mark Hamil, and Morgan Freeman voice the main characters in an animated HBO series based on Deadlands.

The main antagonists, voiced by the European Acapella metal band Van Canto, are a group of mad scientists trying to establish their own Empire of Nevada. The heroes, a down on his luck grifter under a terrible curse, a high rolling huckster with a weakness for the fairer sex, a prodigy barmaid who only recently discovered how easy it is to be a huckster when you can count cards, a recently deceased US Marshal that didn't get the memo to stay in his shallow grave, a particularly easy to anger Indian shaman, and a disgraced gunsmith-turned-burglar are forced to stop them, if they can keep from killing each other first.

Maybe a slightly toned down version of this.

Second this. Follow the plot of the Genesis game for seasons 1-2. First ep. would be Michael's ill fated Salish Shidhe preparations and run.

Just up to the end of the first Endbringer encounter for season one, after all if the fucking madmen are going to back a full length adaptation of an obscure web serial I may as well milk their CGI budget dry before they come to their senses.

Dogs in the Vineyard, but with the supernatural dialed up to 11. Over the 2 seasons of weekly hourly TV it details how the not-Mormon Faithful hid in the shadows of the Mormon wars but ultimately realized they couldn't continue on as a single unified organization without drawing undue attention and split into various sub-groups to continue on shards of "The Work." In lieu of a third season there's going to be 3 2-and-half-hour movies set in the modern era that detail the reunification and final portion of the war.

Where the gimmick comes in is that if you're paying very, *very* close attention to backgrounds, names, and details the first 2 seasons are a prequel to Carnivale, Deadwood, True Detective, Westworld, and Big Love and the movies build on various plot points from those series to set the stage for the final conflict(s).

Specifically, Spider's bullshit. What makes Transmetropolitan great is that the protagonist knows he's too far up his own ass, but he stays on his crusade anyway. I think it's pretty clear you're supposed to root for him to win and enjoy his antics without necessarily agreeing with him about everything.

You beautiful madman.

Bloody hell, it's been ages since I read it...
...think we could get emma watson in on it?

I'm not even sure if it would work on screen

I mean 40k can't get worse. It's writing has turned into shitty fanfiction and its plagued by the worst sort of fanboys.

I think it would be REALLY hard to do the Book of the New Sun right on screen. A very important part of those books is both Sevarian's faulty memory of events* and the greatly different social norms of the book's society from baseline earth, which is only ever conveyed to us through the lens of a native of that culture. For instance when they actually start talking about the physical qualities of a woman with "curves in all the right places" it becomes clear that to a modern person she would barely look human let alone attractive. So having the events just shown to us would have to have some sort of weirdness to convey the same feeling, and I think that would require a very strong show runner with a very powerful vision. So someone akin to David Lynch, but obviously not Lynch himself because the man hates adaptations.

*Sevarian has perfect memory of events but does not have a perfect memory of his own thoughts during those events and clearly has a lot of difficulty understanding the thoughts and emotions of other humans. As a result he ascribes obviously incorrect motives and thoughts to both his younger self and the other people in the narration.

I'd make the Starfire novels (the books based on the 4x boardgame that eventually became the pseudo-video game Starfire Helper which eventually became Aurora 4x after a cease and desist order) into a TV series.

I think Insurrection, the last of the four main books (chronologically anyway, it was released first for some reason) would be the best watch out of the series as a TV show.

tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/
Monkey's Paw time.

Could be worse. Could be Kevin Sorbo.

There is a big problem with BotNS. Namely its very culturally Catholic, and most of the American creative fields are Protestant or Atheist. So you're unlikely to get someone from the same sort of background.

Generic medieval, plot is tits and violence

Guess it's finally time for the Adventures of a Sith Indiana Jones during the Mandalorian Wars.

The sheer vocal power of the cast would have every viewer trembling. If any single one of them raised their voices while the others were speaking, every speaker on every TV/Computer on earth would explode.

The primary benefit of Rifts is that it can be used to run almost any style of game. As many flaws as the system has, and SON OF A BLOOD-FUCKING WHORE does it have some collosal flaws, it does have overly detailed rules for every possible setting and situation, which makes for an amazing variety of games and stories.

Horrible.

Absolutely, in fact I am reading one of the books right now. But kudos for the three galaxies shout out. Even with rifts fans it doesn't get enough love.