Im trying to persuade my gm to let me play a et possessed armor in our next DnD 5th edition campaign but he fears I...

Im trying to persuade my gm to let me play a et possessed armor in our next DnD 5th edition campaign but he fears I just want to play a op character.

Any tips on how to stat a balanced wraith race? Mostly just interested in the aesthetic.

For starters rust monsters and warp metal will be the bane of your existence, so let your GM know that. Specifically what are his concerns?

Play a low level Golem fluffed out to be a set of armor? You're fucked when the Gelatinous Cube gets you, and acid attacks are gonna be shitty.

Need money to live.

Are constructs still a thing in 5e? Homebrew/steal some construct race stuff (no sleep, extra will save, deflection or dr) and go from there?

Hes mostly nitpicking about the wording of "wraith". Things like drain touch and stuff

Was thinking rolling a warforged but Im not really sure if theres official ones in 5e

I don't like the idea of wraiths either, your DM knows what's up

Then say you won't have all that stuff. Offer words like phantom of phantasm or spooky

>> My character is a spooky armor
Im taking this one

How do you heal a possessed armor?

Magic

Or maybe you just say a drawback is that they can only heal through resting.

Your hardness and HP are that of the armor itself, meaning you're like a diamond. Fucktons of durability but very low health.

Roll your Craft: Armor to make repairs, cast Mending, whatever fixes objects. Or since this is some ghostly, undead style possession, negative energy.

Basically if the only thing the armor has is AC and (maybe) hardness or DR, it could work okay. Slow moving, like a human wearing whatever grade armor, I guess darkvision since construct/undead? Undead might be nominally easier to heal but are subject to turning/positive energy effects. Not needing to eat, sleep or breathe might be decent advantages, could try to come up with reasons they do require those. Overall it's not that big a deal as long as you're not getting a ton of special powers like full golems or wraiths might have.

Hell, I gave a "possessed armor" dullahan stats in my game, a former knight who ended up undead for so long her body finally wasted away and her spirit possessed the armor itself. Now she's looking for redemption and is the paladin's squire.

Well for one thing, good luck sneaking anywhere since you're clanking around all the time. Also I doubt most of the rank and file peasantry you run into are going to be too keen on taking to some creepy armor ghost

What lvl are you starting off as? Maybe a lvl adjustment is needed to balance out your living armor character.

Level adjustment is objectively and deliberately broken. If you want to balance a powerful race, either have certain abilities be feats or have its powers unlock over time.

Possessed by what exactly?

The spirit of a dead suit of armor, obviously.

There's no such thing as level adjustment in 5e.
Just make a regular character and fluff them as a suit of armor with a ghost inside.

Eberron UA or the homebrew made by the guy who fucking made warforged.