Hey, I'm looking for the best "written" RPG's. The game's functionality doesn't matter. I'm talking best artwork...

Hey, I'm looking for the best "written" RPG's. The game's functionality doesn't matter. I'm talking best artwork, best fluff, best fiction segments, most original ideas, etc. I'm on a lore hunt right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

volthorne.wikidot.com/worldbuilding:desert
saltinwoundssetting.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

...actual literature?

Dungeons: the Dragoning 40k 7th edition

Nobilis 2e. The best game you will never play.

Jane Eyre adapted as a four player dungeon crawl

Pathfinder has some (surprisingly) half way decent books

List?

It's more interesting than good, but there's a timetravel RPG called Continuum with some really wild worldbuilding.

Unknown Armies also deserves a shout out for some pretty original lore. Not so much for the quality of the artwork and fiction, though.

Don't mind me, just ending this thread.

Adcenture! Tales of the Aeon Society features a short story by famed comics writer Warren Ellis. (Transmetropolitan; Red)

Agent of the Imperium is a novel by Traveller creator Marc Millar that gained some praise in SF circles. I don't even have to add "for an RPG tie-in" when I say it's a good book.

GURPS sourcebooks are actually really good if you want something to raid for ideas regardless of whether you want to play them or not.

Well, that's why I got into Exalted. Can't think of any franchise that does more interesting demons.

I really like Fading Suns. Its cheeseball space opera but fuck it, sometimes I want romantic noble dark future knights.

Lore boop

volthorne.wikidot.com/worldbuilding:desert

Also this

saltinwoundssetting.com

FS isn't really cheesy. There are very stupid ideas that sticked to the setting at the start (the Decados as... well, being Decados, for example) but as the setting went on cheesiness was very few and few in between. I think at most the game is pretty naive and idealistic (both in game and out of game), but of course that's when it doesn't give you the fucking space opera Mithra cult just like that, cause it needs to invent some secret factions.

Aside from that monkey-shit thing in the Bestiary, ok, that was terribad.

Glorantha

As someone who has mostly just liked the concept of Cthulhu mythos and not actually read into the stuff, but I really enjoy the future setting. I enjoyed it so much that I've read through all of the supplement books, not just skimmed but read entirely through.

I have always liked Cadwallon for it's wacky fluff and great art. My favorite tibit is how no one taller than 1.5 meters is allowed to carry weapons in the upper city, so all of the nobles hire midgets (Children/Halflings/Dwarves) to carry oversized weapons for them.

You've got shit taste

Is that art by the lady that got raped by john podesta or whatever? the handkerchief lady?

Art's by a person going by Scrap Princess, but I know nothing about their personal life. so no idea.

Kim Noble is the person I was talking about, pretty risky google trying to find out :/

This stuff is terrible. If I want future Mythos I'd rather read one of the short stories from Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette's Boojum-verse anyday.

This book is fantastic, though. Creepy and evocative, I want to throw it at my players, but they'd never go underground again.

>Nobilis 2e. The best game you will never play.
you spelled Wraith the Oblivion wrong.

>but they'd never go underground again.
>implying that once they're in the veins, they can get out again.

Exalted 2E is fun to read through.

Not OP, but definitely no misspelling. Nobilis 2e is just gorgeous prose, layout, concept and everything. Except, you know, playable by mere mortals.

That is literally just bootleg underdark.

You haven't actually read it, have you?

It makes that concept far more interesting than just the underdark. Even if you don't use the book as is, you can certainly steal from it.

Noumenon or Houses of the Blooded.

Kult
Don't Rest Your Head
Van Richten's Guides(and a lot of Ravenloft in general, I guess)
Paranoia(Troubleshooters line and older, the new edition is apparently complete crap)
Delta Green(especially Targets of Opportunity) with the caveat that I haven't looked at the new edition yet
Since you specifically said that game functionality doesn't matter, WoD and CofD also have a lot of interesting ideas, but I don't really know which specific books to recommend.

Is it really 'bootleg' when it's done better than the original?

> Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette's Boojum-verse
neat

Ars Magica comes to mind. Also Artesia

Cos legit underdark is so good?

myfarog.

the lore is good

What actual literature best functions as an RPG handbook? I'd lean towards the Dore-illustrated Divine Comedy or Old Testament, but some of the editions of Ovid's Metamorphoses or the Kalevala would be pretty excellent as well.

Harn