/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
What was the first 5E character you ever played?

>What was the first 5E character you ever played?
A half elf phoenix sorc, still playing him. I really fucking love the character

High-DEX Lizardfolk Barbarian that liked to sneak around and surprise rage enemies.

Tiefling Bard. Still playing him. Loads of fun.

What are some incredibly useless and boring monsters and how can we make them not useless and boring anymore?

For example, I don't see the point of Twig Blights and Awakened Bushes both being in the game. An awakened bush is just that, but a twig blight can have some work done on it so it's not such a boring waste of page space.

Variant Human Eldritch Knight, dual-wielding, ritual casting. Purposeful ripoff of Geralt of Rivia made for a Witcher-inspired campaign by me, who knows nothing about Witcher.

The first 5e character I played was a wood elf monk. He was an "only sane man"-type character and while he made for a good introduction to the game, I've enjoyed branching out and playing characters that fall outside my usual comfort zone.

I played a boring-ass Human Fighter+Rogue (Battlemaster+Assassin). I did love gibbing things with an action surged ambush though.

>twig blight
Make refluffed versions of them spawn from damage off treants and stuff.

Currently playing my first campaign ever, he's a Half-orc Barbarian smith with a penchant for kicking in doors to the point where the DM has threatened to make one explode if he keeps doing it.

Fiendlock who'd accidentally made a pact with Zuggtmoy after a magical mushroom high rocketed her soul into Shedaklah.

Fun character, horrifying to fight, throwing acid and shit all over the place.

I want to play a wood elf monk for my next character. Taking elven accuracy, gonna stun shit and roll fists full of d20s.
if I hadn't only played ritual casters so far (wizard, cleric, tomelock) I'd feel obligated to take ritual caster. so useful

What are /5eg/'s favorite one-shots? I have the opportunity to run one while our group's usual DM takes a break for personal reasons. If it makes any difference, our group is composed of fairly experienced players.

I still haven't. Forever DM.

A Tiefling Warlock who was killed in the second encounter. I foolishly had him charge into the midst of the enemy to cast Arms of Hadar, when no one had Cure Wounds.

A Most Potent Brew

dmsguild

besuretopayyourovaltine

also the SPOILER NERDS: centipedes at the end are weak sauce beef that shit up so someone goes in the well.

Seal Team Sixing the bitches? I've read that on here (I'm guessing from you) and that's what my group calls kicking in the door now

Go for it, my man. Monk is easily my favorite class to play, even if it's MAD as hell. They can wreak absolute havoc in the right party.

Any advice for the inside of my DM's screen? I'm still learning DMing and I'm not entirely sure what I'll need.

:(
I'm sure you'll find another DM someday

Reminder Kobolds are the best playable race.

Ranger. So very, very long before UA Revised.

Game fell apart. DM never mentioned he was only here for a year because of his wife's residency and he disappeared. Emailed and he was like "dood we moved back to texas". Ass.

What happens if my players kill Izek in CoS? does the festival get cancelled?

I fold over the top of pieces of paper that have important party stats on them and hang them on it. My party was nice enough to buy me the ToA DM screen which actually has some useful info on it so I don't cover up the whole thing.

Bard/Warlock That sucked at playing music so he signed his soul to the devil for god-tier fiddling skills

I don't see why the festival would necessarily get cancelled. If anything the burgomaster might want the festival to distract the populace, and the villagers are probably glad to see Izek go. But do what feels right for your version of the burgomaster.

Is this a good one-off loot item?
A potion that when quaffed gives basically one diviner's portent die except you can only use it on your own rolls and you roll it with advantage.

The thing is that Fiona Asked the party to kill Izek, but i dont see in the book what Fiona does after the party deals with this task, i think i will let the rest of the special events happen and then give Fiona credit over the stoning at the Burgomaster mansion

I like it.

Reposting
>shitpost and not seriously say that I whip my dick out in front of the orc player who's staring me down
>DM knows I'm kidding, but before he can say are you sure
>Orc Player says he does the same
>Roll with it
>Have our dicks whipped out in the middle of the Market.
>Lady screams and covers her daughter's eyes
>Later
>Husband comes and tries to fight us
>I go first
>sneak attack and knock him out in one hit
>Orc leaves 15 gold as a way of making things ok
DnD is awesome, guys. But my DM did tell me that starting from then on, whenever I say something, it's what happens, and I have to face the consequences and he's not going to ask if I'm sure or serious.

Sort of like a trolls loathsome limbs trait? That's certainly a possibility. What about other ideas?

For example, they're like sticks that mimic wands that feed off intelligence?

Don't be afraid to use the imagination.

I'm working on a Kensei Monk and we just hit three. Do I need to choose Monk weapons I am already trained in as Kensei weapons?

>whenever I say something, it's what happens, and I have to face the consequences and he's not going to ask if I'm sure or serious
I think that's for the best. Joking around is fun but too much of it can make the game go very slowly. Just depends on the game and the players, to be honest.

No, you can pick non-monk weapons and they become monk weapons for you. They just have to lack the heavy and special properties. From then on, you should only use the chosen weapons and unarmed strikes.

Half-orc cleric/fighter of pelor. I was new to the system and should have just made a vengeance paladin.

Oh, I'm not complaining. I do want to be better as a player, so this will help me.

pick longbow and longsword probably. mechanically the best (barring feat investment) and kensei makes them monk weapons

I've got a six-panel A5 DM screen with inserts - I'm going to make up those important party stats as cards with the characters name on a front fold, so I can use them to track initiative order facing the players.

A variant human PAM pally. Poor, innocent me had no idea what an abomination I was creating at the time.

You dirty slut. I bet you took Sentinel next too.

Why is 5eg's imagination dead? All discussion is just about the books and the content of the books and nothing but the books. Nobody dares to change the content of the books, or share ideas of how they're manipulated the content of the books for the campaigns. There's hardly any discussion about monsters. It always fucking character and class and builds. Rarely ever adventures.

Can anybody tell me which 5E modules are shit and which ones aren't

Wot4E monk

this man's got his priorities straight.
>remaking mine for my game world to have completely different origins and homes, are surface dwellers in mine.
>going +2 dex, +1 int, but having trouble thinking of new features in place of the old ones since they're setting-specific kobolds

i'll figure it out one day.

Why aren't you starting those conversations then, if it bothers you so much?

That'd be me. The group's been basically spoon feeding me gear since I was a noob who didn't know what the fuck he was doing when making his character (DM said to use point array) so my DEX is 8 so my AC is hot trash. First item I was given was a +1 Longsword we discovered, then today we knocked out a necromancer and killed his army of zombies after like 2+ IRL hours of fighting (those CON saves were fucking bs) and found a Ring of Protection which was also given to me, so now I have 15 AC. After I hit 4 I can dump +2 into DEX and start fixing my negative AC modifier.

I make tons of homebrew but don't post it here because over the general attitude toward homebrew in general has become hugely negative due to nonstop shitposting whenever someone posts any. It's just become too negative with little in the way of constructive feedback compared to the 2014-2015 era.

This guy gets it

Probably because every attempt to start homebrew discussion gets violently shat on. I've seen discussion about campaign adaptation and DMs asking for advice about their settings and reactions to player behavior, though.

Start a discussion, then. Be the change you want to see in the tired catchphrase.

Hill Dwarf Life-Cleric that was premade in a one-shot.

No, of course not. I took GWM.

I've tried to start conversations, and they've ended up dead on arrival with little contributions and what contributions there are unimaginative by the books things that also aren't conducive to continuing conversation.

That really fucking sucks. Makes me wonder what the point of this thread even is anymore. Is there a thread where this kind of a discussion is more suited? I recall there was once a homebrew general.

if you have the open to wear heavy armor you could ignore dex....if not then yeah your gonna wanna pump it up

Yeah, I can't particularly afford nor am I proficient in Heavy Armor so looks like I'm dumping points into DEX whenever I get the chance.

Well the deed is done
>Open cask, filled with paper and shit (filler material) and also two crystals
>Go to he room next to mine and ask Wizard wtf it is
>Still have the now broken cask, he has a fucking fit. ID's one, it is a teleportation crystal
>About this time there are about 10 people outside our door
>Decide its time to fucking go. He uses Sending (HOLY FUCK THANK GOD HE SPENT A TON OF GOLD ON A BOOK THAT CONTAINED THE SPELL BEFORE WE GOT ON THE BOAT) to tell someone else "They will kill you, run, get off the ship"
>We activate the teleportation crystal because frankly we probably couldn't do much worse, one takes us both somewhere
>Rest of the party haul ass and find a lifeboat to escape on. Thankfully one of them was a Fisherman and they SOMEHOW found their way to shore (We were about 1 day out, it took them 7 days). They end up making it to shore near a town. They all had 3-4 levels of exhaustion because they ran out of food. They really almost died.
>Meanwhile we fucking teleported into the dungeons of the Captial City
>Show the other crystal to the authorities

Losses: Everything we weren't reasonably carrying (Extra weapons, about 800 gold, a sketchbook, extra equipment)

Gains: A HUGE favor from the king, his trust, and help from him replenishing what we lost. Also this is going to become a major plothook

I was sick to my stomach for most of it because I was terrified I was going to cause a TPK

The PHB just wasn't good enough eh

Human Battlemaster. Wasn't happy with it at all.

My relatively inexperienced party pulled a very satisfying breach and clear today.
>Rogue obliterates the door with Ring of the Ram.
>Ranger drops a Silence in the room, due to known spellcasters inside and...
>Warlock shoots a Fireball into the room, no noise to alarm the rest of the building
Monk and Paladin charged in to clean up.

This brings me to a question, because I"m curious. How do you DMs adjudicate readied actions at the beginning of combat?
Say, party members catch an enemy completely unaware. Do you allow them to prepare actions for the first round of combat? When do you roll initiative? What do you do if the party member who was supposed to cue the readied actions (e.g. busting open the door) rolls in the middle of initiative?

I'd understand if you had gone champion, but what's wrong with battlemaster?

I was a last-minute addition to a monstrous campaign some close friends were about to start. They'd already done a few together and it was my first time playing.

Half elf arcane trickster. Ended up taking mobile, super fun. I just wish my dm and party members woud stop flaking out so i could actually play her

Maneuvers were boring and they got far too few dice, which were obviously balanced around taking a short rest after every fight when getting an hour to sit around in the middle of a dungeon is a bitch and a half.

There are frequently one-off threads made by DMs or homebrewers about their particular question/idea. Those are hit and miss but seem to be what you're looking for.

For instance:

>new campaign is starting out after the EotE campaign my gf was running ended
>we all roll for stats for our next character, as tradition, before ending the session
>4d6, reroll 1s, drop lowest (we reroll 1s after one campaign had a 3 INT barbarian and a 4 WIS fighter)
>15, 17, 13, 18, 10, 15
I have no idea what the fuck to play. Last character was an ancients paladin. Current character (in another campaign) is a whip wielding BM fighter/AT rogue.

Give me some ideas for a class. No warlock or druid. I don't really like warlock and another player already settled on druid.

If actions are readied before the enemies are aware of the party, I let the party decide the order in which surprise round actions take place. Initiative should, in my opinion, only be rolled once all combatants are aware of each other.

Was a Champion Fighter but after a few sessions I got super bored of it. DM told me he was cool if I changed (Our healer dropped out) so I played Grave Cleric

Are those stats in order or are they assignable?

They're assignable. We don't roll down the line. The only time we do that is when we do a short 3-4 session 2e one shot.

>Grave Cleric
They seem so metal. I want to play one in a party with an assassin rogue or paladin, a vulnerability crit smite (or sneak attack) seems utterly murderous.

Try a valor bard. Put one of the 15s in dex and then pick a race that gives str and/or cha

Ran my first session of DnD in ~8 years today:

>vHuman Ranger, Alert feat
>forest gnome wild sorcerer
>wood elf druid
>dragonborn rogue
>mountain dwarf barbarian

Spent over an hour roleplaying squirrels and chipmunks that the sorc and druid talked to and sent to pester some goblins. I love this game

Play a monk or some other MAD build. You don't roll those stats everyday, they'd be wasted on anything else.

Scourge Aasimar Valor Bard
You share tales of your celestial ancestor, singing in battle with a voice backed with faint echoes of an angelic chorus.

Tabaxi Swashbuckler Rogue
Taken from your home as a kit, a pirate captain took a liking to your innate climbing ability, seeing you as a potential rigging monkey. You learned to swordfight and sail while serving as lookout.

A very charismatic Thief rogue with the Charlatan background. A conman whose go-to-front was being a patron travelling and looking for painters or musicians to sponsor. Ended up dragged along with a bunch of other nutters from different settings in a very Quantum Leap-like campaign.
When we ended up taking that last leap home he happened to be holding the bag of holding that had most of a dragon hoard in it, so he's quite happily retired.

>your first 5e character
Necromancer Wizard. DM asked me to switch after I became too powerful.

That could be interesting. I'd only need one ASI to cap STR if I went Half-Elf and would have max CHA at 1st level.

I don't like monks in 5e.

Aasimar don't exist in our setting. But I like the concept. I'm already playing a rogue type character in a different campaign.

I'm thinking either a Half-Elf valor bard or a Wood Elf life cleric right now.
Bard: 18, 15, 16, 13, 10, 20
Cleric: 15, 19, 15, 13, 19, 10

Bard would be played along the lines of a skald using a greatsword. At 4th, take Great Weapon fighting style (we agreed that fighting styles should be available as feats to those without access normally). Then Resilient (Dex), Medium Armor Master, Mage Slayer and Inspiring Leader as I level. Go with Greatsword for fun times.

Cleric would be played along the lines of a former soldier (healer) w/ PTSD over his unit getting annihilated who takes his former job even more seriously now. Magic Initiate, Healer, Alert, Durable, Observant (probably after Magic Initiate) to round out WIS.

I can afford Splint Armor now, so if the shop back in Phandevlin or whatever that place is called (we're playing Mines of Phandelver) has it in stock I could buy some when we get back from these side quests we've been doing and take the Heavily Armored Feat at 4, but I feel as though I'd overall benefit more from the +2 DEX and just maybe saving up for Half-Plate (sitting at around 200 Gold now) considering I have a -1 to initiative and I could use not having 1 whacked off my Initiative rolls since I need to be in the thick of it and raging to draw enemy fire and whatnot because I have Bear Totem. It's really a tough call honestly.

Wood Elf Monk. I changed characters after a couple of sessions since my character didn't jive well with the group.

I still want to play as a Monk past level 1, though.

If your DM allows Great Weapon Master, it is probably superior to GWFS. I like the sound of the valor bard.

Life Clerics are boss too.

Our Cavalier and Moon Druid decided to try doing pic related. At one point the Druid thought it was a good idea to stand upright to protect the rider. He was able to stay on, but I wonder, would he would be able to fight in that state?

I'm not set on GWFS at the moment. If I do go with the valor bard, I'm not sure what I'll take out of the two. I know he'll definitely have a greatsword and darts. (combined with Mage Slayer helps deal with enemy casters' Conc spells and saves Magic Missile uses)

The life cleric would be a shortsword/shield character with some light armor. Might take Resilient (Dex) over Alert for max DEX. Take Goodberry at 4th w/ Magic Initiate for some cheap and extremely effective healing so I don't have to focus entirely on Healing Words/Cure Wounds and can keep up Bless/Shield of Faith/Spirit Guardians/etc. Everyone rolled well and our campaigns are always deadly as fuck. 1 deadly encounter every other session is common.

trying to homebrew up a magic item for a Nature Cleric who likes to be in melee range, something that would give him Temp HP.

Any good thematic ideas? Or is there already one in the DMG that i'm just being retarded about?

Maybe, depending on perhaps an athletics roll to determine how well he holds on, with a resulting standard attack roll or disadvantage on the result

Grass sword from adventure time. It’s symbiotic in that it rests coiled around the users arm and springs out when needed. Could be a Longsword that allows somatic spellcasting. It’s weilder lost an arm once in a fight and the sword basically grew to replace his whole limb.

I have an item you could use. It's something I made for a ranged cleric but you could probably make some alterations to make it decent for a melee cleric.

Rooting Boots.

These boots seem to have been carved out of ironwood but feel as soft as plush leather to the wearer.

As a bonus action, you can speak a command word and send roots out from the boots to fill a 15ft. radius around yourself for one minute. While the roots are extended, your movement speed is reduced by half.

Opponents who end their turn within the radius of the roots must make a DC15 STR check to break free from the roots. Otherwise, their speed becomes 0.

Additionally, while the roots are extended, you gain 1d4+1 temporary hit points each turn.

>TFW I haven't played a character since AD&D because I'm the forever DM but I have so many cool ideas for builds that will never come to light

Just shoehorn in a DMPC, it'll be great.

It's posts like this that make me appreciate what I've got. I might DM two campaigns, but I'm also playing in two.

I wish you luck in eventually breaking free user. Once I was like you. Until my group evaporated practically overnight and I had to find a new one.

I have the same problem. I thought of doing a one shot where the PCs are listening to a bard’s tale in a tavern and they assume control of characters from the story. You can populate the story with your better ideas. Introduce each of them in song that tells their qualities and deeds. Have some hint to the location of a buried treasure as a reward for “listening” (playing through) to the tale.

i've already given one of my players a cursed weapon that's attached to them, as well as another who's got a bow that is summoned via a bracer. The Grass Sword is cool but it's kinda duping two items

This is a pretty cool one though, as It'll give him extra utility

So I'm running ToA and preparing for the party to face Acererak and I don't understand:

The PCs that host the trickster gods get bonus psychic damage on their attacks against Acererak. But Acererak has Mind Blank prepared and I'm assuming he'd cast it before teleporting in. Mind Blank makes you immune to psychic damage. ???????

Correct. PC are not really supposed to survive the encounter, let's face it.

>during session, players finally finish their voyage to the continent they've been dispatched to
>meet with their organization's contact and given their marching orders
>on the way out of the city, describe the massive coliseum in the center and crowds flocking to it
>put it together as something where they can watch and bet on fights
>if they watch, I'd let each of them take over fighters for fun PvP with gold on the line
>they watch a fight, take over a couple characters and make ~300 gold off of bets
>conquest paladin decides he wants to be a gladiator and succeeds in convincing the proprietors to allow a non-native to fight
>has to prove himself in a battle

Next session we're starting with his proving. I'm going to pit him up against beasts of some sort. What would be a good idea to pit against an 8th level conquest paladin that will challenge him?

When we ran that, I had him pop in without it and then once he took the first hit, immediately pop it. I also gave him a special crown that he stored some minions in. First turn he pops in and shits out 10 goblin zombies and 2 wights. Party freaked but barely managed to triumph with the paladin being the last man standing. He used his last 5 points of LoH to revive everyone.

>Zombies
you heartless monster

I know. They had a blast though. My players are masochists though. They love deadly boss encounters. Nothing gets their blood pumping more than a boss fight they struggle through or when the boss throws some shit out of left field at them.

Did they kill Acererak or did he TP out?

What is the role of a paladin (in specific a conquest)?
I'm new no bully please

Had to fight 13 zombies today. It was the least fun thing ever, it took us 2 damn hours because they kept rolling CON saves. My character already had developed a dislike of wizards considering the only two he's met thus far have been baddies, this encounter is going to have him seriously have trust issues if we ever meet a wizard that's friendly I've decided.

SMITE THE HERETICS

I mean in a party composition
(still I'm gonna rp like a spanish inquisitor)

Leader/Striker. You do buffing and debuffing (mostly latter in the case of conquest) and also whack bitches with your shining and/or pitch black weapon of choice.