How do you handle an "All myths are true!" modern fantasy setting in a way less stupid than Scion 2e...

How do you handle an "All myths are true!" modern fantasy setting in a way less stupid than Scion 2e, which does "All myths are true! Uh... you go figure out how that works with all kinds of paradoxes and contradictions, let alone what counts as a 'myth' in this world of mass media and rumors. Good luck."

It makes all actions, adventures, and achievements come across as totally pointless if the real win condition is to shill a myth enough that it gets retconned into reality. Planescape had this problem too.

Scion 2e:
>Was Fionn mac Cumhaill a man or a giant? Was Aphrodite born from divine genitals cast into the sea or from Zeus and Dione? The answer is yes. Every mythology coexists with the others and the World spins on without a hitch. Where these mythic histories conflict, Gods and heroes collide with words and weapons. Cosmological certainty only matters insofar as a given God wants credit for deeds people attribute to his rival. Whether the earth quakes because Tuli’s dogs scratch at their fleas or because Poseidon throws temper tantrums, it still happens regardless of which explanation has more proponents, and the only cosmic outcome to an Overworld scuffle about it is which pantheon wins bragging rights. Most people assume that Tuli causes some earthquakes and Poseidon causes others with no particular need to choose just one legend. They pray for protection from a tremor to whichever God — or Gods — they feel will get the job done best.
>Is Lugh Lámhfhada the same being as Lleu Llaw Gyffes? Are Kannon and Guanyin two faces of one God or two separate Gods entirely? The answers are “yes and no,” and that “yes and no” is qualified and far from simple. The relationships might be muddled by different Incarnations working at cross purposes, hostile takeovers of divine Overworlds by other pantheons, Titanic conspiracies to undermine a God’s claim to his Purview, or any number of other complexities — but all myths are true, one way or another.

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/food/warnings/bananapotassium.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You have a modern view of myth.
Mythos in the greek world is explicitly unreliable, and it's not considered a problem at all. "It's both" is a perfectly reasonable response in this world.

>Gods spring from the collective belief of Mankind.
>There is a version of Thor who can only wield Mjolnir with the iron gloves Járngreipr, There is also the Marvel version of Thor.
>Stories of mortal men repeated often enough will result in actual myths.
>Herakles was a renowned Greek Warrior.
>His fame and stories created Herakles, the son of Zeus.

>There is also the Marvel version of Thor.
No. People don't believe in Marvel Thor like the Norse believed in actual Thor.

If all myths are true, then every single "How to cure X medical condition" myth that has ever been spoken in human history is also true, and that means there is no need for modern medicine at all.

If all myths are true, then all of the debunked myths on Snopes.com are also true, which means that eating six or seven bananas in quick succession will kill someone:
snopes.com/food/warnings/bananapotassium.asp

If all myths are true, then all of the debunked myths on Mythbusters are also true, and someone can cause an avalanche by yodeling.

Those are urban legends, not mythology. The modern idea of "myth" is not the same as the "myth" that Scion 2e draws from. An "all myths are true" setting is going to inherently be full of contradiction and it will be up to the interpreter to determine what versions of the mythology to work with at any particular time.

So not all myths are true after all.

>All snaps are pops
>All crackles are pops
>Pop minus snap equals crackle

How do I make a world where all of this is true? Huh? Huh? Why can't I make all of it true? When it is inherently conflicting on the logic? The answer has to be "you don't care about it and just say it's all true" or it's "the objective answer comes from the human subjectivity that created myths in the first place". There is no middle ground where somehow you can have broken logic that works flawlessly without such a system.

Usually when people talk about "All Myths are True" settings they mean that a lot of shit from different sources that is thought to be fake IRL turns out to be real in some way, they dont mean it in an absolute way, its an hyperbole.

Unless you want to exhaustively go through specifying which bits are true, leaving it open to interpretation/accepting that things like absolute fact, time and causality breaks down when it comes to myth is just kinda necessary.

>It makes all actions, adventures, and achievements come across as totally pointless if the real win condition is to shill a myth enough that it gets retconned into reality. Planescape had this problem too.

...But that doesn't logically follow from your premise at all?

Well for me, I say the Christian God is real. & all others are Grigori, or cast out angels, who created their own demenses & gained the worship of humans.

Scion does though. They say that yes, the world is on the back of a turtle & yes it's carved out of a cow & yes it's built on a tree & so on

> The poetic stories of religious myth in which I want to play around in are identical to modern urban legends and psuedoscience.
>inhuman and supernatural gods work on a bit of dream logic can have contradictory things be simultaneously true, thus I must become a fucking Nephrandi

...You guys must hate the Percy Jackson series, huh?

But can't someone verify all of this as bullshit?

In Scion 2e? No.

But that's the point of it. It's all true because it's matter of perception or some shit, colored by your personal belief system

If you're an archaeologist who follows the Grecian religion, that's like a +10% chance to finding anachronistic weapons in Troy's ruins than, say, a buddhist archaeologist

Why bother going on an adventure to change the world when you can shill a myth along the lines of, "Oh, no, the world has been this way all along. Believe in it, everyone!"

Then what of all the myths that can be verified or debunked in the household? There are plenty of those, even from Ye Olden Times, like "do so and so in order to cure all your diseases overnight!"

it's true, but only sometimes and usually only by Scions / magical people

If a really unlucky scion ate 12 bananas at the right time they'd just straight up die.

Because that's not actually implied by the premise, and even the act of doing so could be a major adventure in itself.

If myths are true only some of the time and only by certain people, then not all myths are true.

The premise covers Dahomey amazons. Dahomey is 1600 to 1894. That time period covers plenty of Victorian misconceptions.

Two separate scions who have gone to both Terra Incognita that feature these

all myths are true, you just can't immediately access them unless the circumstances align in just the right way

(also there's a literal Aether in the game, you could probably have fuckin Orgone if you really felt like it)

Can I be a scion of Wojak?

The setting's false claim of "all myths are true" actually seems to be "a large portion of stories concerning legendary and larger-than-life heroes, supernatural entities, and gods from before the 20th century are true."

you have a strange definition of myth, my autistic friend, and you seem really caught up on it

And? That still doesn't implicitly mean it's something that can be directly manipulated. That's a logical leap on your part.

What counts as a "myth" for "all myths are true"?

While I'd love to say that it's just religious sorts of happenstance, the issue here is that I think the setting also includes urban legends in some way, but I can't remember off the top of my head

Scion 2e includes men in black. Those come from modern mythology.

You don't. Never go full retard, OP.

There's an old game called"The secret world"

I like to use branching timelines.

>everyone lives in separate timelines

>It's all true because it's matter of perception or some shit, colored by your personal belief system

When did settings like this that specifically run on "reality is whatever the in-setting manifestation of Plot needs" and "havewave it" become so popular?

Planescape and post-modernism.