Which gods would a middle ages pagan europe worship? The old gods were slowly being replaced by new gods...

Which gods would a middle ages pagan europe worship? The old gods were slowly being replaced by new gods. Sol Invictus and Isis are the obvious ones. What would other likely candidates be?

>Muh islam

Without Christianity there would be no Islam.

Mithra and Magna Mater.

The Romans really had a hard-on for sun god/esses. I think Middle Age pagans would worship a sun pantheon or combine them into one.

German peoples conquered almost everything in europe after the romans left.
So i guess odin and thor, though those were what the norse called them and southern germanics had different names for them.

Isis - cult of women/motherhood; healing, fertility, community and protection
Mithras - cult of manhood in its vigorous prime; worshipped in small groups by soldiers and athletes
Sol Invictus - militant god, closely associated with cult of the Emperor and respect for authority/the army's general. Festivals are occasions for civic renewal and celebration of the armies.
Weird Neo-Platonic Shit - Private religion for ascetic/philosopher types. "There is no spoon" reality-is-illusion type philosophy; good background for monks/kung fu/proto-christian warrior ascetic characters
Hermes Trismegistus/Abraxus - God of magic, alchemy, sorcery-science. Amalgamation of Greco-Roman imagery + weird Egyptian animal god shit. Followers tend to become liches or mummy immortal priest-kings or just nutbar alchemists.

Depends on setting.

>Abraxus
>not using the real name of ABRASAX
probably a good thing desu

Look into the old prussians/lithuanians

>southern germanics had different names for them
wotan and donar, respectively

Germanic (including Norse) religion is quite complex and the pantheons of different Germanic peoples can get rather muddled.

For example, we have thunder deities like Thor, Tiw, Tyr and Tiwaz (and more variations). From their similar names and attributes we can tell these all stem from a single earlier figure, a deity reconstructed by linguists as Dyaus Pitar, the Shining Father. Nevertheless some tribes regarded the versions worshipped by their rivals as being entirely separate entities to their own. Tyr and Thor had become two different gods in Norse mythology. There was probably considerable tribalism involved, a desire to cast aspersions on 'foreign' gods.

Even the Romans and Greeks link into in this, because Jupiter and Zeus stem from the same original figure as Thor and Tiw (ironically the Romans equated Thor and Tiw with their god Mars).

How can you use this? Well it depends which way you want to jump. Does the religion of a pagan medieval Europe pull closer, stay roughly the same or pull even further apart? It may be something of a mix, with allied power blocs growing closer while rejecting any religious link with their rivals.

In Eastern Europe, paganism persisted throughout the Middle Ages and well into the Renaissance. Lithuania was christianised in 1387, the last of all currently existing sovereign nations in Europe. When you look at Russia, there are several republics in it that are still pagan to this very day - and it's not neopaganism, but the real deal.

your thread is bad and you should feel bad.
Tengrism persists in mongolia and parts of russia to this day. The eastern european areas contained alot of pagans in the 12th century. Pretty sure some parts north at the very top of Scandinavia are paganish.

the indo-european pantheon was originally governed by a sun god, thats why its so prevalent in said cultures

>Mongolia
>Europe

Currently doing some small-time research on finnish mythology and Kalevala and it's just basically spirits and gods centered around nature, weather and whatnot. Just to name a few: Ukko the god of skies, thunder and weather, Ahti the god of sea and fishing, Tapio the god of forests and the hunt, Ilmarinen a legendary blacksmith and artificier

Other late Roman pagan cults you might consider:
-Prehipus; fertility god, essentially a penis with a face in it. Small idols of the phallus god were supposed to help with fertility and help women survive child birth. Quite likely a lot of medieval 'fertility saints' were just Prehipus rituals/worship sites with a saint's statue in place of the wiener. You could take inspiration from some medieval practices like driving nails into the feet of a saint's statue for fertility blessing.
-Bacchus/Dionysos wasn't just the god of wine and sex (although he was those); he was a patron of the arts, particularly theater. Even in the late era of paganism in Attica festivals where plays were performed were still held in his name (and--you guessed it--a statue of a big penis representing the god was present). As late as the 4th C. AD, Roman aristocrats were still decorating their homes with scenes of bacchanals (parties of the god and his donkey-eared drinking buddy Silenus, maenads and satyrs). There is some conjecture that the cult of Dionysus wasn't just fun-and-games but blurred into a myth of him as a dying and rising/messianic god, possibly sharing strong motifs with the cult of Mithras

Don't do that man, Kalevala is a good poem but a fucking awful source. It was written by a poet who juggled the folk songs in whatever way he saw fit to create a better narrative, and then wrote a whole lot just by himself. Also it combines myths taken from different tribes from Saint-Petersburg all the way to Lapland, which were often completely different. If you start looking into Finnic mythology, Ilmarinen is actually not just a blacksmith, but the sky god, Väinämöinen is not just a bard, but the demiurge, and so on.

Nice cherry-picking.

Well, you know, there was that small and forgettable episode in the Middle Ages when Mongols invaded Europe, and only stopped before conquering it because Genghis Khan died and they went back to Mongolia to scramble for power.

I'm quite aware of the inconsistencies in Kalevala and the fact that it's just a mishmash of different beliefs fitted into one neat story arch but thanks for the heads up anyway

>Dionysos
Man, there is a lot more to that fucker that what meets the eye.
He was basically moses a coupla thousand years before moses and unlike other greek gods was said to have walked the earth with his followers

>moses a coupla thousand years before moses
you do realize that Moses was before the classical Greeks, right?

I like this because it helps to visualize what sort of religions would go in my !Europe since my !Spain is heavily christian inspired

Slavs
Slavs out the ass
Also if we're doing middle medieval ages, Spain is stuck under the rule of a heathen caliphate

Not if a good party has anything to say about it.

I havn't really figured out what I want to do with my !muslims yet but basically I'm taking the tone and feel of certain religions and political systems and seeing what I can make of them.

For example, my !Spain has a very heavy catholic flavor about it with the central figure being a woman who essentially went out and assuaged the anger of sea gods who wanted to destroy humanity for their waste and hubris and violating the sea. This religion then spreads further east where the !Native Americans live who's religion involved ritual sacrifice because they believe they came into exist from wounds suffered by their creator god in a battle against a celestial beast and the way to help him protect them is give some of that blood back (That and it allows me to have cowboys in !Europe)

perun vs peres

>Without Christianity there would be no Islam.

>satan, uh, finds a way

>makes a mistake
>gets called on it
>plays the cherrypicking card
On top of that you were full of shit anyway. OP was talking about what if the WHOLE of Europe was pagan and Christianity had never taken root. He wasn't saying there were no medieval pagans in Europe at all. Good job being retarded along multiple axes, fuckstain.

Beowulf is the Messiah

Islam rips off more Old Testament than New Testament, so without Judaism...

Nope. Its still essentially arab paganism with a flavour of Judaism (more from Talmud than actual old testament) and "Christianity" (in quotation marks, because most of the sources that Islam uses is actually Gnostic that, despite being influenced by Christianity later on, was primarily a Neo-Platonic teaching with roots in Greek and Egyptean paganism)

>Its still essentially arab paganism
Eh. Only, like, a few superficial bits. Not as bad as Catholicism in regards to saints.

You did that on purpose, didn't you, faggot?

That being said...

Take some chief deities in various ancient religions, whittle down the tertiary or 'unneeded gods' and I think you'd probably get a good idea as to what it would be like.

Butterfly effect guys.
The whole world and all its borders would be different. No way the same people with the same ideas would show up.

The old roman provinces would worship the sol invictus since they were already removing politheistic religion in favour of a monotheistic one
Ireland and Scotland would still worship the celtic gods. Also the Picts would probably not go extinct

Middle age pagan europe? You mean actual middle age Europe with the shit load of pagans?

Just google Germanic, Norse, Finnish,
or Slavic paganism. Look at Tengri as well.

>Islam is totally Plato guys
Blatantly false and the amount of plagiarism in the Hadith alone proves it you liar.

Punctured bicycle
On a hillside desolate
Will nature make a man of me yet?

I don't know what it is but something about sun worship just feels so... right.
If nobody in your setting worships the sun, you're a pleb.

I took a lot of inspiration from semitic pagans and the yazidi faith for my !muslims

did you actually read the fucking post?

Have Mohammad be a worshipper of Sol Invictus or Aten or something. Either way, you should definitely keep him as some aberrant iconoclast for some major religion. The Mussie takeover was awesome, and has so much potential for worldbuilding.
Personally I think you could do some interesting things with "poles of history" staying within the world, but just in a radically different context. That's probably more fantastical than OP wants to go, though.

I've always thought straight alt-history was pretty boring though. Like, why not just use history? It's almost certainly better than anything you could come up with.
Fuck off Solairnigger. That said, my setting revolves around the worship of the dead sun, which may or may not be the cosmic embryo/exhaust pipe.

>pointing out an irrelevant flaw in a statement is the same as pointing out a flaw in an argument.

>Which gods would a middle ages pagan europe worship?

Lugus

Well it depends. The two biggest requirements for Islam as a political institution weren't actually anything religious, they were the Plague of Justinian and the Byzantine–Sasanian War. Without the two major world powers entering a 16 year long hell war during the middle of a major plague that killed 2/3s of the urban population a confederation of nomadic religious groups wouldn't have been able to conquer the huge swaths of valuable territory necessary to establish the caliphate.

So the question is without Christianity would Heraclius have been motivated enough to engage in a very dumb but very successful war against Persia? I'd say there is a good possibility that he would have held off, given that a major motivator for the war was rescuing Christian communities that had been kidnapped and resettled by the Persians.

>I'd say there is a good possibility that he would have held off, given that a major motivator for the war was rescuing Christian communities that had been kidnapped and resettled by the Persians.

That seems reasonable.

>middle ages pagan europe
>Isis
Nigger, what?

You do realize there are actual pagan religions from Europe?

Presumably he was including everything that got a cult in Rome just before Christianity got big.

Mohammed's religious teachings basically started as an even more monophysite sect of the monophysite Christian faith that dominated what is now the Arab world in the 6th century.

He only rebranded as his own thing when the existing church structure amongst the Quraysh refused to bend the knee, whereupon he started writing his own scripture, and he and his allies left to recruit Arab pagans and other outcasts to back his play to seize the reigns of the Quraysh and start his war of conquest.

Without monophysite Christianity to serve as a baseline for his religious teachings, he probably would have been just another pagan warlord.

True, Islam is originally more related to hinduism then semitism.

The merchants of Mecca weren't (((merchants))) but from India, with a multitude of temples and sects within the city.

And Christianity is more related to Buddhism than to Judaism, what's your point?

There is no saying what would have happened if Christianity hadn't been a bulwark against Tengri, Zoroastrians or Islam.
>Islam wouldn't exist without Christianity
Using butterfly effect to shift blame. You sicken me. Why not just say: "without Islam and Christianity, what would have taken over?"

Roman/Hellenic culture was diminishing. It was going to be replaced one way or another. Tengri seemed quite vigorous, and I have a hard time seeing how the pagan Europe would have dealt with Mongols, had the Mongols not adopted Islam. The Huns had Europeans on the run, and without Christianity to uphold Eastern Roman Empire for the next thousand years, who knows what would have happened. Expect heavy syncretism, obscuriantism and all manner of gods to be worshiped, until some warlord gets power and dictates himself god.