Him: hey guys I think we should do 4d6 and drop lowest

>him: hey guys I think we should do 4d6 and drop lowest
>me: I disagree, I don't really like it when one character gets crippled and another becomes godly
>that's FINE that's a weakness and everyone should play through it and man up
>okay fine, don't want to argue

>roll stats
>I roll 17, 17, 16, 14, 12, 11
>he rolls 14, 13, 10, 10, 7, 4
>oof DM, can I reroll these ones?
>mfw

I would love to see a 4d6fag who rolled poorly actually go with his character without complaints. Have not seen it so far. When they get good rolls they're just so happy and when they roll poorly the world just turned upside down.

Other urls found in this thread:

cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/03/gary-gygaxs-whitebox-od-house-rules.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>play MW 2e
>guy running it uses the system that gives you what is basically points to buy skill ranks based on your age, 1 per month. Rank 1 costs 1 point, rank 2 costs 2, rank 3 costs 3 etc.
>roll for age
>get age 24, which is 6 years after the base which is 18. I get 62 of these points.
>another guy gets 30 age
>he gets 144 points
>still manage to out powergame him
play a good system, faggot

I regularly lower some stats by a few points when I do 4d6, for fun and because I get stuff like your made up roll for this shitty abortion of a thread.

>rollfag making shit up and accusing of making shit up.
Irony.

True player knows that the lowest the attributes are, the most interesting to play the PC is.

bomb dropped

>2012+6
>Still rolling for stats

>4d6 drop lowest
wimp. Real men roll 3d6 in order.

I swear to fuck if you post in this thread Steve there'll be hell to pay.

You can easily offset this by giving out bonus stuff to whoever has the lowest value in each stat. Even just getting a handful of skillpoints for each lowest stat you have would be sufficient to throw things back to a more favorable paradigm.

>not 3d6 assign

>wimp. Real men roll 3d6 in order.
Wrong, Real men roll 5d6, drop the two highest and then assign at random.

And here you destroy the whole point of having rolled for stats in the first place. So you rolled poorly and now need to make it up with other bonuses to keep up with the rest of the party? Why not just have point bought or stat arrayed in the first place faggot.

Rolled 1, 2, 3, 5, 2, 3, 1, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 3, 3, 6, 1, 2, 5, 2, 5, 6, 1, 1, 4, 6 = 78 (25d6)

1D20 IN ORDER OR BUST, MAGGOTS

I'm not sure how 'in order' and 'randomise the order' is differrent, since in both cases there's no control over where a given value goes.
But 5d6 drop highest 2 is a special kind of masochistic, and I'm tempted to try it.

good god

>1, 2, 3, 5, 2
>3, 1, 4, 4, 4
>2, 2, 3, 3, 6,
>1, 2, 5, 2, 5
> 6, 1, 1, 4, 6

Rolling for the 6th stat

>not 20d20 drop highest 19 in order
It's like you WANT to be a massive mary-sue.

Rolled 3, 5, 3, 3, 3 = 17 (5d6)

I'm a retard

Rolled 12, 12, 9, 3, 2, 7, 4, 18, 12, 9, 16, 18, 18, 9, 5, 9, 15, 7, 17, 4 = 206 (20d20)

Rolling.

Justifiably smug, but you still playing special olympics of roleplaying games.

Rolled 18, 2, 5, 16, 12, 3, 7, 1, 15, 7, 1, 17, 10, 1, 13, 11, 10, 15, 20, 8 = 192 (20d20)

Str 2

Rolled 14, 19, 13, 17, 10, 3, 13, 15, 7, 16, 17, 13, 15, 13, 10, 7, 9, 13, 20, 15 = 259 (20d20)

Dex 1

Isn’t there a recommendation to let the player reroll if his ability score does not sums up at least +3? He should be allowed to reroll.

1d4+1d3+3d2 drop lowest+4

Rolled 18, 20, 16, 13, 11, 20, 14, 2, 14, 17, 14, 6, 13, 18, 14, 9, 12, 12, 7, 1 = 251 (20d20)

Con 3, damn the second lowest was a 7

Rolled 17, 12, 7, 10, 5, 16 = 67 (6d20)

So 5, 8, 7, 5, 6, 9

These are truly the stats I'd like to play with. Is there even a class that can make this playable?
Some 3.5 Pun-pun variant would be possible.

Rolled 8, 17, 4, 7, 3, 18, 16, 3, 13, 10, 6, 19, 6, 2, 12, 7, 20, 17, 18, 11 = 217 (20d20)

Int 1

These are decent stats for a paladin, fighter or bard.

>3 across the board
>Literally 1 point away from being incapable of speaking
>Weaker, less dexterous, less healthy, less wise and less charismatic than all ANIMALS in existence
>And dumb enough that he can't get around those weaknesses

I'd be honestly impressed to see someone play this PC.

Rolled 16, 10, 2, 6, 6, 2, 7, 3, 12, 12, 12, 11, 17, 10, 14, 2, 15, 19, 16, 5 = 197 (20d20)

Wis 2

Rolled 4, 1, 4, 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 1, 6, 5, 4, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 1, 3, 3, 3, 6, 4, 2 = 78 (24d6)

Alright faggots. We are going to roll 4d6, drop lowest right now to see what kind of stats and party we would get. We are forming a party of five. The first 4 that reply to me gets to fuck my Elf Wizard slut.

Rolling.

Annnnd Chr 2
Now someone has to name them.

Rolled 3, 3, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2, 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 6, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6, 2, 2, 1, 5, 6, 5 = 85 (24d6)

>int 9
Well I guess you technically qualify for wizard.

Not OP, but what are some good systems, anons?

>inb4 FATAL

Rolled 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 3, 6, 6, 1, 2, 5, 2, 5, 3, 2, 6, 3, 2, 5, 3 = 81 (24d6)

Bro, with strength like that we don't need your permission

9 Str
12 Dex
15 Con
9 Int
12 Wus
13 Cha

What kind of fucking Wizard is this?

13 12 13 10 12 16
I'm going to be a fighter.
A knightly fighter.
A sexy knightly fighter.

DnD4e

They are worshipers of goods of ooze. Also if you get 3 across the board what a hell are you playing? Race adds modifiers you know....Also reminder there are things with int wis and cha of 1

>167 cm
>this is tall in japan
[muffled chanting "TO THE PIT!" "TO THE PIT!"]

>2, 3, 4, 4
Two points more, that's enough, right?

>11, 7, 17, 9, 14, 11
Cleric or bust.

Monk since you'll be shit anyways

Any DnD made last century.

My group once did:

>Four stats are 2d20, drop lowest
>Two stats are 2d20 drop highest
>One of the drop highest rolls must be put in a mental stat, which must me roleplayed

Lasted one session, but hey.

A human, user, they don't get any racial modifiers.

There are things with stats those low, but those are:
>Int 1 = Animals
>Wis 1 = Mindless animated objects
>Cha 1 = Golems and mindless undead

mechwarrior 2e
ad&d 2e
warhammer fantasy rp 2e

somehow the second edition has ended up as the best ones for each of these

Rincewind

To be entirely fair, if you're playing 3.5 that's completely justified since the book specifies that you should be allowed to reroll if your statline completely sucks.

Rincewind has 18 dex.

>Roll a one twenty-four times in a row and laugh your way to the bank

Rolled 1, 3, 6, 5, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4, 6, 3, 2, 4, 6, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 6, 3, 6 = 93 (24d6)

Roll.

Last character I played in a d20 game had 9, 10, 10, 11, 11, 12, 13 in his ability scores. He was a relatively competent full caster, thanks to the magic of AD&D.

Rolled 2, 4, 6, 6, 4, 2, 2, 5, 1, 1, 6, 6, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 4, 1, 3, 1, 3, 3, 6 = 91 (24d6)

Bugbear Paladin. Give me the spiciest stats.

>16+2 Strength
>11+1 Dexterity
>13 Constitution
>15 Intelligence
>13 Wisdom
>12 Charisma

Jesus I made a fucking ubermensch bugbear.

>lowest the attributes are, the most interesting to play the PC is.

Did you roll a 1 for your literacy skill?

>rolling stats

I'm really lucky so I don't mind rolling. I played a game with a few players who were really new to trpgs, I showed them the array option and point buy but they wanted to roll so I did too. They both rolled in line with point buy but not the stats they wanted, I rolled like point buy +3, every stat positive with all my most important stats as high as they can go.

So my character was naturally gifted and theirs were normal.

OP

Is it Wisdom or Intelligence for user to realize he fucked up?

How my group rolls is:
-4d6 drop the lowest
-in order
-re-roll 1s
-with 1 spare roll of 4d6 drop the lowest, to assign however you want

tends to work out pretty well

>>me: I disagree, I don't really like it when one character gets crippled and another becomes godly
What? 4d6 drop lowest always averages higher than 3d6. If you were gonna be crippled with 4d6 DL you would be even worse off if you had only rolled 3.

Point buy for DnD is bullshit though, you don't get enough points to make a balanced character, nor can you come close to maxing out anything. The end result is you end up with a character who isn't actually exceptional at anything and is well below average in multiple areas.

Eh, +3 is good enough for a lvl1.

>Well below average
You do realize average is 10 in all skills right? That is the base line where everything is +0 and what commoners have for stats. How about you actually learn what the fuck you are talking about before making yourself look stupid.

>+0 is avarage
+0 is SHIT.
I am not satisfied with less than a +4 at lvl1, hell, +5 would be the ideal, anything less is just a sign that the game is going to be a drag and almost impossible to play. I mean, not one shotting little shits like goblins is bullshit.

>you don't get enough points to make a balanced character
Yes you do. Just not a character that is great at everything, but +1 in all stats (save for the one that is +2) is pretty balanced.

>who isn't actually exceptional at anything and is well below average in multiple areas
That's called a level 1 character user. What's the point of a progression system if you are already most of the way there before you hit even level 10?

And if you invest your points in any meaningful way you will end up with a retard or something. Why are people so against player characters actually having good stats? Oh that fighter can't be really strong, he needs to be at best a bit above average. A genius wizard, and extremely charismatic bard? Nah lets have a wizard who is only a bit clever and a bard who is kind of charismatic. I'm not saying characters should get all 20s across the board, but the chance for a single 18 is nice as is the possibility of being good without ending up being clinically retarded or on the verge of death from having horrible constitution.

>-in order
I never understood the point of this. I mean if you want to randomly decide order to help come up with a concept, that's fine, but forcing people to do them in order is retarded.
>I really want to play as a wizard
>10, 18, 12, 6, 14, 7

Ahh I see now we play different systems, 5e +5 is max with stats being able to start out at an 18(+3) if you ignore the little clause that says you're technically only supposed to be at 17 to start.

See above, whatever system you play in sounds like it sucks having to suck right from the get go.

I'm going to assume DnD 5e based on the example you gave. In the default pointbuy in the PHB you cannot have less than an 8 in any one stat as an 8 costs you 0 points. That's a -1 and the way the default system is set up you only really need to take a -1 to just one stat to get a +2 in three stats. As to not starting with a +3, that's what a progression system is for and why everyone in the party needs to work together to succeed. Also, this is before adding in racial bonuses which can easily give you a +3 in one or even two stats at level 1. Pointbuy is the patrician's choice for rolling new character (especially if you homebrew a way to buy feats).

Personally we always run with "flavor" feat free at level one, no GWM, PAM or CBE. Both groups I run seem to like it so we just stuck with it.

I've been thinking of doing something similar for my next game. At first I went with the default pointbuy in the PHB, but gave players the option to spend 5 points to buy any feat they want. Now I'm thinking of a system in which certain feats that are a lot of fun, but never taken (like linguist) because they aren't nearly as good as other feats (like sharpshooter) are free while the rest will still cost 5 points as normal. That way the players that want to play it safe with their characters can still get a small fun perk to use while the players that don't mind starting a bit weaker in general can still grab feats like GWM

Can't roll above an 8 bud?

+3 INT in D&D terms would still probably be the smartest person you have ever met, unless you are some Biochemist or Engineer who goes to conventions with engineering folks from GE, Northrop Gruman, Monsanto, Eli Lily, AT&T Bell labs, and Raytheon on a regular basis.

Jesus fuck what faggotry did I just read?

Most of the basic 2e classes. No Paladin or bard, but fighter, wizard, thief, and priest are all on the menu because of that 9.

Rolled 4, 6, 5, 2 = 17 (4d6)

Sup fucker?

Why are you arguing 3d6 vs 4d6 when its more about rolling stats vs not rolling?

>What kind of fucking Wizard is this?
The "I hope your ass remembers not to incant that again since the head's useless" kind.

Rolled 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 1, 2, 2, 1, 6, 2, 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 1, 1, 4, 5, 3, 5, 3, 3 = 75 (24d6)

fine

Not DnDfag, but use random attribute generation. It is good if you can have fun even if your character occasionally sucks and then dies horribly.

Play 4e then instead of doing retarded shit like rolling for stats.

cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/03/gary-gygaxs-whitebox-od-house-rules.html

its so people start to play classes they dont usually play, When the same guy brings the same character every time to the table (in our current game he is on his 3rd "ace pilot mechanic")

Seriously guys, if you want dice to decide the stats, why not assign each number on the d6 to one of the six stats? So every 1 you roll is +1 strength, every 2 is +1 dex, etc...

>ignore the little clause that says you're technically only supposed to be at 17 to start.
5e has no such clause, it's perfectly possible to have a maxxed stat at level 1 by doing what the book suggests and roll 4d6 drop lowest for an 18 and getting it to 20 with racial bonuses. And 18 is +4, not +3.

>4d6 and drop lowest
This is literally the worst way to rolls for stats and I don't understand why so many people have adopted it.

Amusingly, in 4e you wouldn't need the bonuses to "oneshot weak gobbos", provided they are minions.

tell us a better way user, enlighten us

Roll 6 1d20s. Make a character out of that.

The same is true of 5e. A basic gobbo should have 1 HP max after the party hits level 5 using the minion rules. Hell, in my games, at around 10 they wouldn't even need to roll to hit.

Because that's what the rules say to do if you roll.

I like roll for stats.

I like the shit rolls, helps inform me of my characters personality.

I instinctively try to be good at everything and usually execute it badly so having my stats taken out of my control is something I enjoy.

Rolled 4, 3, 3, 4, 2, 4, 1, 4, 1, 3, 6, 6, 5, 4, 1, 4, 2, 2 = 59 (18d6)

3d6 down the line, let's do this

>I would love to see a 4d6fag who rolled poorly actually go with his character without complaints.

It's quite surprising that your strawman is so easy to knock over!

>I would love to see a 4d6fag who rolled poorly actually go with his character without complaints. Have not seen it so far. When they get good rolls they're just so happy and when they roll poorly the world just turned upside down.
Why didn't you tell him to man up and play through it?

>10
>10
>6
>15
>10
>8
wizard here we come