I am trying to create a setting and i wanted to base it off French culture and history rather than German or English...

I am trying to create a setting and i wanted to base it off French culture and history rather than German or English. how can this be accomplished, what are some French media or books that can help me

Other urls found in this thread:

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/6/69/Black_Knight_Damaged.png/revision/latest?cb=20170915114815
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Count of Monte Cristo, The three musketeers, you can also look at The Duelists (the film from 1977 which is fucking awesome), believe it or not, king arthur, as in the original king arthur stuff is also a good indication of how the french viewed the world.

Hell, most of English culture from the time of William the Bastard until after the Hundred Years War was French. Richard the Lion-hearted went to England once.

Yeah, and yet the fucker is idolized, just read Ivanhoe

Well, if they wind up fighting anybody who's not French they have to surrender immediately. No save or anything, their characters just surrender.

when did that stereotype start exactly i read that medieval frenchies were plenty bloodthirsty

WW2

oh yes, back then they even have this flag that when they raised was the equivalent of saying "WE WILL KILL ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS, NO EXCEPTIONS", they would also have the habit of cutting the index finger of any longbowman they capture.

Hence our traditional greeting for them involving displaying both index and middle fingers, showing that we "still have grip for bow and bill".
t: Bong

Specifically, Churchill pushed that meme to play off why France got rolled over in a bit over a month. Also, the mass mutinies during the later parts of WWI may have had something to do with it.

Given that during the middle ages high English culture was effectively French culture, I don't see many differences. Given the fact that parliaments are never existed upon I'd say the average medieval kingdom represents France more than anything. There's a king who's objectively the highest power, a council of nobles advising him, maybe something like a parliament is bought up literally once and maybe not, et cetera.

>they would also have the habit of cutting the index finger of any longbowman they capture
Can you cite a primary source for that? You probably can't. It even raises an issue of basic logic (if they were so afraid of longbowmen, why not just kill them?).

Incorrect. The meme is a recent invention, pushed hard by the right in the U.S. after the French refused to back the American Invasion of Iraq in 2003. This was the same movement that gave the world "freedom fries" and etc.

Y-you take the back!

The Stereotype was around far before 2003.

Why are the French so retarded about Lionheart. The dude grew up in London then went to France. And someone in a position of power had to know English to rule in England

>had to know english to rule england

erzählen Sie

>Why are the French so retarded about Lionheart.
Because it's not just the French. Even the state sponsored BBC documentary series "Medieval Lives" takes a jab at how odd it is that, of all kings in English history, it's Richard who gets a statue near Buckingham palace. It even points out one of Richard's more famous quotes: "I'd sell London if I could find a buyer".

>The dude grew up in London
That makes him about as English as it makes Emma Watson French.
The difference being that Emma spent the first five years of her life in Paris and actually learned to speak French, whereas Richard possibly spent as little as six months in London and never learned to speak English.

>then went to France
Anjou more specifically. Pro-tip: it was called the Angevin Empire for a reason.

>And someone in a position of power had to know English to rule in England
But he ruled the Angevin Empire. In Anjou. And even before and after him French had been deeply entrenched as the language of the nobility and would not lose that status until the Hundred Years War. Henry V was probably one of the first if not the first kings to actually speak English natively.

Wanna know something else that the aforementioned, state funded, BBC aired documentary series "Medieval Lives" mentioned in its final episode? The one king of England British schoolboys never learn about: King Louis I.

>The one king of England British schoolboys never learn about
Every single one of them other than William I before Bosworth Field?

Linguist fag here, English is so french that when nomadic people first arrived in what we now know as England they basically spoke German, but between the Romans wrecking their shit (where were the Moon Druids then?) and then the French conquering them, they only have some vocab and grammar left. Thats why if you listen to people speaking non-English European languages, most English speakers can still guestimate what the French are saying while German or Spanish sound so different.

tldr; German-speaking Englanders got their ass rocked, had their language made illegal by the French, and now speak a bastardization of both.

>plate armor and shield

>maybe he's a designated guardian of princess
>maybe a large shield would be useful to protect from missiles, or in this case, thrown rubbish

Or the person who made this had absolutely no idea what he was doing and just mishmashed a bunch of armor from various periods in time.

Though to play the devil's advocate, you're better off comparing English and the almost dead language Frisian than English and German (which originated from one of the Germanic languages in modern day Central Germany rather than the area the Anglo-Saxons originated from?).

>(if they were so afraid of longbowmen, why not just kill them?).

>What are war crimes?

For a person to be capable of that fine of artistic craftsmanship and not know the historical rules they were breaking would require them to be a idiot savant. You're just a idiot.

It's because the bowmen that they were fighting were incredibly skilled with the bow. Remove the one thing that gives them the ability to use that skill, and they become nothing more than a pathetic body of flesh

You forgot
>bucket helm
>tower shield

>you can't be skilled in one area and ignorant in another

>In the shadow of the Bourbon restoration, a small group of Cuirassiers remain loyal to the exiled emperor
>Branded traitors for their participation in the Hundred Days and their unwillingness to accept the conditions of their amnesty, they are branded outlaws and they each have a hefty price on their heads
>They now roam the French countryside, doing what they can to help the local peasants against their noble overlords and aiding in the survival of the Revolution's legacy
>The campaign ends in 1848, with the retun of Napoleon III and the final defeat of the Bourbons
>Maybe there area also monsters and demons and shit, IDK

>implying it doesn't look cool
>hur dur rule of cool is dumb because it's not realistic in muh fantasy setting

pic related is your face, I get it, no worries retardbro

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers this

I would recommend reading "Les lames du cardinal" (The Cardinal's Blades), at least the first one.

Which period? France went through tens of regime change, from absolutist monarchy to communist, so it can vary a lot.

Of course it existed beforehand. Do you think the Bush government had the brainpower to actually invent something? They just recycled old clichés.

For anybody who likes the three musketeers, the Fortunes of France series by Robert Merle is awesome; same period, same kind of action, and the author is a huge nerd and did a ton of research.

>A group of edgy leftist seize twelve Parisian Streets for a month
>Get blown le fuck out by the Republic
>"France was communist"

>Maybe there area also monsters and demons and shit, IDK

If you're making a musketeers thing, please don't make not-Cardinal Richelieu the BBEG please.
He can still be a ruthless asshole though.

>le rule of cool xD
>>>/reddit/

Why make Richy the BBEG when there's G*rmans, Pr*testants and G*rman Pr*testants?

>Nu-uh that's you!
The absolute state of (you)

>Of course it existed beforehand. Do you think the Bush government had the brainpower to actually invent something? They just recycled old clichés.
Fuck off retard it was a well known concept and joke that existed before the Bush administration and didn't become famous or more famour in any way during or after Iraq.

The fun fact is that Richelieu becomes the heroes handler in the three musketeers sequels.
That man has too much class to be a villain. Look at him fucking the english fleet with crazy engineering feats, and dressing the part.

>he doesn't know about the first Paris commune

Read the The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon. basicly explain why the hundread years war happened.

So, anons, which period would you rather run a game in? Arthurian fantasy? Musketeers era? Belle epoque?

>didn't become famous or more famour in any way during or after Iraq.
HAHAHAHA.
>Freedom fries! We support you Mr. President!

I would a Revolution in theory but it would get too political in practice.

>plate for me
>shield for waifu

ideal

fuck off I wasn't even involved until I popped in for that one comment, u assuming maggot

>Freedom fries is the same thing as calling French people cowards

>Waifu
If she breathes, she's a THOTvignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/6/69/Black_Knight_Damaged.png/revision/latest?cb=20170915114815

You can have it be seen as a successor state to an old empire (rome) and going forward in time you can have a recent successful cultural war that unites the two halfs of the empire into one (French and Occitan)

>Not using the equipment needed for the job.
Yes I'm sure not having a big shield to cover the princess/noblewoman/whatever from the crowd is a good idea. Your suit of armor will magically deflect any blows or thrown items coming for her.

>thot
>>>/facebook/
>>>/twitter/

> small group of skilled soldiers, helping the poor and oppressed, keeping the ideals that they fought for alive...
C'est l'Equipe de A!

Richard lived in London until he was 8 and had an English nanny.

His regent he put in England was overthrown and arrested, and one of the charges put against him was not being able to speak English

Classic americentric ignorance. Britbongs have been mocking the French for surrendering for fucking ages.

>they would also have the habit of cutting the index finger of any longbowman they capture.
There's no actual hard evidence for that, nor that the V sign is definitely related to the supposed threat. The closest source mentions a boast or threat by the French to cut off the middle fingers (3 I think), but the whole thing reeks of dramatic licence.

>T.ignorant bong.
You make me ashamed to drink tea. There's no evidence that's the origin of the gesture, nor that the French actually ever followed through with any threat to cut off the fingers.