So I was looking into Pipes and Plumbers out of mild interest and I saw the 1d4chan page hasn't been edited since 2014...

So I was looking into Pipes and Plumbers out of mild interest and I saw the 1d4chan page hasn't been edited since 2014 and the only entry prior to that was its creation in fucking 2009. What's the deal with this project? Is it dead or just a case of not being able to get anyone to update the wiki?

Pipes and Plumbers thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
img.fireden.net/tg/image/1497/16/1497166291597.pdf
ffonts.net/Hey-Gorgeous.font
dafont.com/new-super-mario-font-u.font
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is long dead, buried, and forgotten.

Google seemed to indicate it had a thread this year, which surprised me, so I figured it was worth asking if it had moved offsite or something. That's kind of a shame, but not real surprising. Mario's a bit of an abstract setting for a tabletop RPG.

The several popular Mario RPG games would suggest it’s not that abstract. A Paper Mario campaign could be pretty cool.

A JRPG is a very different beast from a proper RPG, which is yet another level of abstraction removed from a tabletop RPG. And Sticker Star onwards suggests that they've been struggling with the weirdness of Mario's world anyway

First of all, hi. I'm the guy maintaining Super Mario RPG.

Secondly, the game is not actually called Pipes and Plumbers. It's just "Super Mario RPG".

Thirdly, it is not dead like insists. Campaigns were and are run with this system, which is as much success as any homebrew system can ask for. There's a campaign on the unofficial Discord (discord.gg/amjucr6) that meets and runs every week. There's also semi-regular threads that pop up every so often here on Veeky Forums. Just because the core rules haven't been touched in four years as you claim doesn't mean the game is abandoned, and I understand the concern but am honestly insulted you feel that way.

Thirdly, the game has not moved offsite. The core has always been on 1d4chan, and discussions are always held here on Veeky Forums first. As mentioned previously, threads pop up once in a while that are not my own, which means there's still interest.

With all that said, I can answer any questions you may have.

As a matter of fact, now that I look at the wiki page, I don't know what you're talking about, because my last edit to the rules was June 9th, 2017, so you're probably looking at the wrong page. From now on, this is the 1d4chan page you should be looking at.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

Let me repeat: any 1d4chan article that explicitly uses the "Pipes and Plumbers" moniker is, for all practical purposes, a deprecated article.

Man, for a minute, you got me paranoid about my own content.

Oh. Well, fair enough. I'm not sure why you settled on Super Mario RPG, that just creates confusion with the seminal Square Enix classic. Pipes and Plumbers sticks in the head much better, I'd never have thought to search for Super Mario RPG. Probably oughta change the P&P page to a redirect.

But, uh, neat. Regale me with a general TL;DR overview. Do you have Pi'illos yet? Pi'illos are great.

No, I do not have Pi'ilos. But on the whole, the system was revamped and modernized compared to that other 2014 article, including more concrete rules for combat and whatnot. Give it a read whenever you like.

>No, I do not have Pi'ilos.
Well that's a dang shame. A dream magic system would be neat. Somnomancer or something. No wait, Snoreceror.

1d4chan in general is dead thank god. Veeky Forums has a really hard time letting go of the past

We need a good Necromancer to revive it.

nah, someone just needs to buy a 1-up shroom

I was considering doing a Genesys Port of the system, but I'm not sure how well it would do because "muh buying special dice"

Dude, go for it. I would absolutely love to see someone try and crowbar this system into Genesys, and I'm not just saying that because I'm interested in the system and reading the book myself. It's a very interesting system, and plus, there are free Genesys dice rollers out there already.

Check out /gengen/ if you haven't already.

>Secondly, the game is not actually called Pipes and Plumbers. It's just "Super Mario RPG".

why the fuck would you drop a unique and creative name like Pipes & Plumbers for Super Mario RPG, *which already fucking exists*

Because it wasn't my name. People generally know what you're talking about when you say "Super Mario RPG" when mentioned in proper context, whether it's this homebrew or the original SNES game. Besides, there's a very slim chance you would actually play a plumber in the system, anyway.

This.

>Because it wasn't my name.
So instead of using a good idea, you used a shittier one because you didn't come up with the good idea? Jesus that's idiotically stubborn.

>Besides, there's a very slim chance you would actually play a plumber in the system, anyway.
You don't play either a dungeon or a dragon in D&D.

I'll keep it in mind, but for now, "Super Mario RPG" is the official name of this homebrew. At least see me on that much.

Can you make an editable PDF format for these charsheets? I'm trying to host a game with this, but fuck using Photoshop to edit it every time someone levels up.

Unfortunately, I don't have a PDF on me with the current stats the system uses, and I don't quite have the tools to hash one together myself.

Damn. It'd be nice if someone knew how, at least. I'd love to make a game with this, and what I have in mind entails making tons and tons of character sheets. Making them editable will at least make it easier to make interchangeable copies, if that makes sense.

I have far too many questions that I need answers for while OP is here too, but I'll think on that as they come up, provided this thread doesn't die first.

Don't forget there's an official-unofficial Discord, now.
discord.gg/amjucr6

Upload what you've got and keep the thread alive, and I'll gage my interest in making an html page out of it after work.

All I've got are incomplete charsheets with only stats allocated. I'm on mobile right now but I could probably turn over some sheets later on.

img.fireden.net/tg/image/1497/16/1497166291597.pdf
Here's the blank sheet in the meantime.

What kind of formulas do you all use to resolve damage for your abilities and specials in a way that's balanced?
(User's Power - Target's Toughness) can't be the only thing to work with, and some others would only result in too much damage being dealt, not enough challenge, too much challenge, etc.

Some formulas I can think of might be:
>[Enemy Level/2]
>[1 * (# of net successes)]
>[(# of party members) + ((sum # of net successes for all party members) / (# of party members)] for a team attack of sorts.

What about resolving number of turns an enemy suffers an ailment? What do you think?

>Can you make an editable PDF format for these charsheets?
I can. Someone post the sheet here and I'll do my best.

Hopefully I uploaded the right file. Here.

Wrong one. This is the one I meant to upload.

I actually agree about Pipes & Plumbers being the better name for your game.
Super Mario RPG just sounds generic and bland.

>fonts not embedded

Can you upload HeyGorgeous and newsupermariofontu please

I'll need them to make sure the sheet doesn't look like ass.

Getting back to you on that soon.

Okay, on my PC now.
Do I post download links for you to get, or what do I do with those fonts?

You would post download links, and he would install the fonts on his machine.

Okay, sure.
ffonts.net/Hey-Gorgeous.font
dafont.com/new-super-mario-font-u.font

First time GM here.

What kind of stat and level adjustments would you make to make satisfyingly challenging bosses for a format like this?

If it's a boss-tier enemy, you can inflate their stats so that one of them is a sufficient challenge for a party, but it helps to give them a defining gimmick for the party to play around. Every good boss needs a good gimmick.

I've only run one campaign, but groups of enemies work better than singular large foes from my experience. Either that or try segmented enemies (Wiggler for example, or a robot with multiple parts to target). HP can whittle down quick if your players know what they're doing.

The challenge shouldn't be as focused on as the fun though. Make the boss memorable and engaging and it won't matter as much how easy it is. Creativity is your friend. Had a Bandit that wore some gloves which stole the dice from players. They had to rely on items and called in a better Bandit they befriended to steal the gloves. (Only had him able to hold one player's dice at a time because I'm not a monster, it was really a team building encounter above all else.)

And I don't mind the name SMRPG, but my vote would be for Castles & Koopas if the name ever had to be changed. Just because it's the most obvious.

>Castles & Koopas

Four thread this year. Five, with this one.

He's seeing you on every game mechanic, Mr. Arepeejeecop.