Why would anyone EVER want to be the healer of the party? Shit sucks

Why would anyone EVER want to be the healer of the party? Shit sucks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L502UGT_amM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because if someone else were forced to do it, they'd fuck it up.

I like to take care of people and while I can't always protect them from the harm's way, I can heal them afterwards. Also couldn't bring myself to killing monsters and people, no matter how evil they are.

This.

git gud

First post, best post.

If you actually have a GM that's good at gauging what level of challenge your party can handle and your party is tactically skilled it does feel satisfying when you keep your party afloat in a fight as a healer. And obviously you shouldn't just be healing but also buffing, debuffing, dealing out the occasional whomping, and coming up with creative tactics, but the satisfaction comes from knowing you're skilled.

ahah le helaslut XD ebin simply ebin upboated lmao

you okay there, bud?

Because warlords also happen to be healers.

Because I have shitty self esteem and believe it's better to support others than to try and do things on my own.

What can I say? I like to be the party's slut.

It's fun and I like helping people

>playing a game without a healer
Good luck and have fun fighting an enemy with wound penalties or at half health, numbskull.

well atleast in D&D atleast most healers can also dish out a pretty damn good amount of pain, not just agaisnt the undead too.

>playing a system where you can be healed mid-fight
I'm not even sorry for you

You have the defacto most power in the party. Sure the wizard can deal fuckloads of damage, and solve a lot of problems.
But what will he do if you don't heal him?
You are the guy in charge.

>tfw have fun playing a healer/support force adept in SWd20
>keep the team alive and buffed, rescue them from critical on multiple occasions with some clever move object, tumble, and heal other use.
>even get allowed to prestige into jedi healer despite not being a jedi
>level 20 was pretty fun, spend a force point out of the metric fuckton i'd accumulated to instantly heal somebody to full no questions asked
>play a hacker for cyberpunk 2020, brother plays a doc, keeps the others in one piece out of combat, uses a syringegun to buff us and poison opponents in combat
>cyberpunk eventually dies when most of the group has to leave
>UESRPG campaign comes up with some new players, brother's left for uni, nobody else is playing support
>there's no fuckin' way i'm doing it again, want to actually keep my characters varied
i can't wait to die horribly
i'd just rely on potions but apparently they can fuck you up instead if you've taken a major wound
why? because hurr durrrr, i guess!

The healslut subculture moved to reddit and further branched into healdoms, healbrats (OP's pic) and tank/armorsluts.

>Be a based Life Cleric
>Wearing heavy armor with shield for mas much AC as the Fighter
>Clubbing heathens and abominations because Dex and Int are my dump stats
>Being able to ad 1d4 to any roll I want
>Able to ask for my god's (the DM's) wisdom whenever I want
>Living lie detector, can spot any encounter first
>Incinerating undead that I turn
>Super high Charisma for turning and for fucking bitches
>Players need me, know that if they try and fuck me over they might die horribly, assuming I don't bludgeon them to a pulp because dat STR.

Feels good man.

>tanksluts

>the noble profession of slaying undead, healing the innocent, protecting the weak, and spreading the glorious name of your god has been sullied by sluts and submissives
>can't be brothers-in-arms with Fighters and Paladins without this negative stigma

Proper OG Clerics are super cool.

>has been sullied by sluts and submissives
by trannies actually

By World of Warcraft.

Because I'm better at healing and helping people than I am trying to coordinate the fight by keeping the attention of various monsters. And since my one and only job is to heal people I can't really fuck up much else

I like to play girl characters and girls are most suited to be healers and support roles. It's internalized automisogyny.

fun fact:
/cgl/ detests Mercy and the girls who cosplay her

By being a good one. IE, by actively minimizing the amount of healing you have to do. 5e's Light domain clerics are a fantastic example of this, between the extra clearing spells and the ability to impose disadvantage on attack rolls whenever they want you get to do cool shit and do your job.

>I will put my own Western view of this culture above all else
>everyone else is not original, having badwrongfun and probably a fag

I'm speechless.

Why though? I'd understand if they hated D.Va with the sub dye printed zentai suits anyone and their grandma can cosplay her, but Mercy's outfits take some skill.

I wish you actually were speechless. In second edition, it straight up uses knight templars as an example of a cleric. Clerics have always been western.

You get away with more when people read you as a good guy.

>somebody likes the original idea of the Cleric class more than what it's been degraded into by fetishists
>WOW WHAT A RACIST WITH HIS WESTERN VIEW OF A WESTERN CLASS BASED ON A WESTERN CONCEPT AND IDEAL
>I SHOULD ACCUSE HIM OF SAYING ALL OTHERS ARE HAVING BADWRONGFUN

It's not really a question that the healslut people are sluts or submissives, considering that's the whole point of the healslut idea. There's nothing wrong with being a slut, I guess, but I don't like that it tarnished the image of one of my favorite classes by association and the proper portrayal is becoming less common.

You're just being a contrarian retard that's defending the nonexistent personality of healsluts.

Clerics have their origins as a combination of Van Helsing and a vague idea of a Christian holy man, and the latter has always, always been a major influence on the archetype

I really don't understand where the healslut idea came from? Have they ever actually talked to a healer? They're petty balls of rage that will definitely let people die if they're being dumb.

Like 90% of all Overwatch cosplayers don't even bother wearing the character's outfits. They just do their hair in a specific way and maybe wear one accessory.

TRADITIONAL GAMES

Don't validate him with a response, anyone who uses "western" as an insult is a hopeless weeb.

Except in the OP there's nothing like the healslut. That's not even related to Veeky Forums

IMO, it's stupid to first go off and say
>My way of playing healer (and by that I mean the Cleric of DnD) is the best

>You're just being a contrarian retard that's defending the nonexistent personality of healsluts
Nope. Here's my first thought when I think "healers" and then, later added by someone whose first thought was "cleric": pic related

I will, however, not say
>I'm mad that people are having badwrongfun
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Precisely because it needs skill, also because she can only be pulled off by tall skinny pretty girls. That board is a den of jealous goblins and whales.

>the weeb backpedals

>tfw no healdom to hold your life in their hands

I don't think I've ever cared about cosplays aside from fapping to cute girls dressed like that. Once went to some anime conference with friends and being forced to watch them while waiting for an origami presentation was incredibly cringy.

Bad bait but I'm biting anyways

>WOW THIS GUY IS REALLY IMPLYING THAT THE ORIGINAL IDEA BEHIND THE CLERIC IS BETTER THAN THE FETISH SHIT THAT'S BECOME SO COMMON?!

OP asked why I played healers and I answered. I like the idea of the righteous follower of a benevolent god that heals the needy and defends the innocent with his strength. It's what clerics, who are the typical healer class in D&D, were originally known for (that and vanquishing undead, which was their first purpose when being created).

There are several people that posted in the thread before me about healslut stuff, which shows that it's clearly a common thing that people immediately think about when the topic of healers is brought up.

People are allowed to play that way, and I never implied in my original post that they weren't. However, I am annoyed that the image of clerics has been tarnished by it because of their association with healing.

Most fun I've ever had in D&D was with a character that was a blatant healslut, though I'll admit half the reason it was so fun was how him another PC and 1-2 NPCs would play off each other, other half was as I noted here , I just like helping people
Also the way some anons freak out at the idea of non-manly healers is hilarious to me

boys can't be healsluts tho

I'm confused. What does this "healslut" shit even means? Does it refer to characters whose only function is healing or just a slutty healer?

I hate them two. Only because Mercy is a fucking overpicked overpowered mess on OW and Blizzard refuses to nerf her where she needs nerfed because she's the go to pick for braindead gaymur gurrls who can't aim worth a shit with the split second decision making capabilities of a child. Fuck Mercy and fuck Mercy mains.

Moulder actually is a really good example of a healer. He is willing and capable of talking people through their problems and is stronk enough to drag pretty much anyone to safety if he needs to.

See, that wasn't so difficult: in this post you came across a lot more salty and negative than now.

At least you're not an ass like the newfags that hate everything that are infecting Veeky Forums nowadays.

This. Being the healer is a great facade for a character all about social manipulation especially the less moral ones...

that's where you're wrong

lol just go for her first and her team falls apart, your team should have a Mercy too

See: It's trannies pushing this meme

They nerfed her pretty hard. If this keeps up, they may as well delete her.

It's a term for the typical meek, submissive healer stereotyped in vidya and animu of an oriental persuasion. The 'slut' part comes from the fetishistic overtones (namely of D/s) that have come to define the healer archetype in a lot of media.

They can be when said other PC and NPCs are girls

Also has it right

A bit of both

For the record the healslut reddit/their discord are cliquey melodramatic cesspools

You'd know that, wouldn't you cutie?

To be clear, the 'non-manly healer' part doesn't annoy me, it's the taking the roll, ignoring the defining personality trait of the majority of that roll's players, and then fetishising a lie.
It's almost as if these fetishists are completely separated from reali- wait, okay, I understand what happened now.

Pretty much this Sometimes you just want to be the defender of light and good against evil, without being a sword+board paladin.

Do you mean role?

moulder the boulder, always the man

Does anyone ever actually do this? I mean, maybe it's because I'm mostly familiar with D&D, but Clerics were always more useful with their array of buffing spells than actually healing. In fact, it makes more sense to heal after the battle is over, because Clerics can unleash a lot of firepower in their own right. (Though really more from 3E onwards.)

I don't think WoD really has effective, in-combat healing, either.

>ignoring the defining personality trait of the majority of that roll's players
That would be?
And why do you assume it's the majority?
A lot of the hate at the very concept of healsluts seems to quite literally be because "they're playing it wrong" for not playing an archetype I only somewhat frequently see

I want to feel needed, to be important member of a group. But I feel I can't do anything properly. I can't kill the monsters, there are people who are experts on that. I don't understand what kind of spells and abilities I should take to be powerful wizard. But I still want to feel useful and like the group members want me to be with them. Everybody wants a healer with them and that makes me happy.

>Be useful enough that no one ever questions you going first
>Consistently have a meat shield in your way
>Everyone trusts you with the drugs
>Access to unconscious female party members with no one looking
>Can throw points into Charisma and end up leading the party easily enough
>No one expects you to turn out to have offensive power as well and since they underestimate you, you can take that boipussy to pound town like you're a high security convict named Jamal the night before his execution if shit ever really gets fucky with the party and they turn on you
You know, the usual reasons

youtube.com/watch?v=L502UGT_amM

this is how I healer.

What games even have a dedicated healer role? D&D, the most dungeon crawl video game rpg I know of, doesn't even typically have one, since either enemy damage outpaces healing powers or each class has their own healing abilities depending on the edition

I dont get this meme, everyone treats me properly when I play healers. Maybe try playing with good people and your friends instead.

It's not how well they treat you, it's how well they play.

It's like playing support in league of legends in season 2, when the ADC can't last hit for shit and you are doing a better job at it than him.

Woops, yes
The Healslut idea came from MMOs, every single healer I've ever known is a petty ball of hate.
It's not an issue of "badwrongfun", it's calling all healers submissive sluts when that's generally not the position they would take to begin with.

I fondly remember telling adcs that I'm the carry now, and that they should really ward more now that they're the support.

>every single healer I've ever known is a petty ball of hate
I actually thought you were assuming a strong, but fatherly archetype was the norm, I've never actually seen a healer I'd catigorize as "a pretty ball of hate", closest I've played with was an overzealous warrior monk but he didn't have much hate in him

Being the "healer" is my side job. My bread-and-butter is casting Bless on the entire party and then hitting heathens with my mace while telling them "your ass needs Ilmater."
t. half-orc cleric

The latest patch just took away her free rez on ult and lessened her speed. The rez existing at all when no other supports can do it is the problem.

I like it in vidya, hate it in tabletop games.
In video games it's fun to help the team in a non-direct way. They more often than not have stat changing abilities for the team and enemies. In GW2 the elementalist is really more of a support class, it has damaging fire moves, but the class has the lowest HP in the game so trying to DPS is suicidal, but all the other elements are dedicated to buffing allies, healing them, or controlling the battlefield,

In D&D 5e however a Cleric is basically a heal bitch unless there's undead around. Even if you go into a campaign planning to play some kind of warrior priest with more magic than Paladins, you will inevitably end up using up most of your spell slots on healing and shit like Hero's Feast Never play healer in D&D, just ask your DM to make healing potions abundant.

It requires a tightly balanced rule set and a very good GM. But as a former raid healer in FFXIV I can totally dig that feeling of greatest responsibility.

>Why would anyone EVER want to be the healer of the party? Shit sucks
because there's only so many spell slots I can use casting Thunderous Smite and Bless

This also. How good a healer you are is determined by your DPS.

Healing (in MMOs that is) cultivates this superiority complex in players. Of all roles, you probably have to have the best understanding of an encounter, but healing isn't particularly mechanically intensive, it's more about having your decision making drilled into the back of your skull.

Because of that, every healer should actually be forced to play DPS at some moment. And if they do worse than their healer percentile rank minus 10, then they have zero right to bitch at anyone.

I don't play MMO, I'm talking table top games

I'd argue that if the tabletop you play even has healer as a concept, it's not that far from MMOs after all.
If you were playing proper story-oriented games with proper story-oriented rule sets, you wouldn't be talking about "healers".

Petty, actually, and I've only experienced that with MMO healers, where the entire thing started.
For RPGs it varies a lot, because you're putting yourself into your character's mindset, and there's really no 'wrong 'way to do that if you're not being a jerk to your group. If I had to assign a personality trait there, it would be 'exasperated cat herder '.

Just play 4e, you gigafaggot. Heal niggers AND smash face in the same round.

Uh... pretty sure it was a thread in Veeky Forums actually.

I'm sure it also had a post about being insulted, degraded, and then turned into a "rod" to be "used" by the party.

Everyone agreed it was a fun idea.

>The Healslut idea came from MMOs, every single healer I've ever known is a petty ball of hate.

Generally because any issues another player causes will most immediately cause a headache to the healer. If the DPS isn't dodging AOE well? That's more headache for the healer, even if the group doesn't wipe. If the tank is pulling too fast? The healer needs to work harder etc. More than any other role, how much stress you are under is almost entirely based on how your teammates are acting rather than how well you are doing your job.

That's generally what gets healers so ticked off, as they bear a lot of the weight of anyone else's fuckups and when you are doing your job the hardest when other people fuckup you remember the fuckups well.

It really burns you up that other people can just deal with unusually gendered individuals. Whereas you just can't get them out of your head.

Wonder why.

In a lot of systems you can fuck shit up and ALSO heal. Only MMOs fall for the bad meme

Wrong pic friend.

Always nice when someone remembers an old greentext of yours.
Still feel bad I wasn't able to turn it into an actual story as opposed to a collection of green for that one femanon
But actually I got the impression Veeky Forums kind of came up with the idea independently though /v/ thought of it first

For one, cynical healers are critically underrated.
For two, healing mechanics are usually shit.
For three we desperately need more comedic scrooge healers.

Do you have alink to the original place you posted it, like in the 4plebs archives?

It really burns you up that not everyone can accept your mental illness.

This is every reason I play healer

>cynical healers
>you will never be in a party with Dwarf Dr. Cox

why would they turn the most pure act of healing into object ntr japanese degeneracy
why do I feel like I know who one of those was

I'm torn between finding it kinda hot and finding it too cruel for my tastes.