EFro: Modern shouldn't be a PT format

channelfireball.com/articles/modern-is-practically-perfect-thats-exactly-why-it-shouldnt-be-a-pro-tour-format/

Apparently, if the format is too diverse for pros to leverage the extra time they can devote to metagaming, that means it shouldn't be played at the highest level.

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/11th-in-houston-with-jeskai-black/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm actually fine with this. I was perfectly content with them dropping the Modern PT as long as we got Modern GPs and the like. Let the pros have their format and the rest of us can have ours.

I guess the idea is that there's no real difference between a pro and a good player (Who can afford a good deck), so there's no point in having a special event for gameplay-indistinguishable pros.

They should discontinue them, I guess.

what the fuck is a pro its a fucking children's card game

>Reee my three weeks of intense training don't beat the meta knowledge of someone who plays Modern every day
Maybe you're not the pro in this format?

I rarely see children playing.

Lul, one of my friends beat Efro at GP London. Now he's being fat and salty.

That's because you're not allowed within 300 feet of children

What a twat. Not being able to game the meta is a good thing.

It’s a fine assertion that I generally agree with but his arguments really show how unprofessional a “Pro Player” he is. “I want a predictable Pro Tour metagame that I can solve so my rice bowl is always secured” is a TERRIBLE, selfish, unsportsmanlike reason for wanting Modern to be off the Pro Tour.

If he at least said “banning Splinter Twin just so that Eldrazi cards can shine is against the spirit of a sport”, I can get behind it. Let’s face it, the Pro Tour is a gigantic promotional event to make idiots buy all the latest Standard cards. That’s why they did away with the Modern Pro Tour last year. I’m fine with watching a weekends worth of commercials in the form of grindy Midrange mirror hells, because we see the Pros actually doing their goddamn job and brewing the most competitive decks that entice dummies to buy cards. Set Standard as the format for that garbage to happen. Don’t involve Eternal formats for that. That’s where actually fucking Magic is played.

But if we’re here to throw rocks at Efro, I’m more than happy to join in, a Sec I mentioned earlier.

Also grindy Midrange hellholes are kinda fun to watch as long as you’re not actually on either side of the table

Fucking this. Git gud nub scrub "pro" playa

>throw rocks
I don't see the point. Like most Magic pros it's just convenient to hire him to write articles even if like most pros he is bad at it. Like, that's what journalism is - somebody good at writing asking experts what they think. It's too expensive to pay someone to do that so it's just easier to pay the expert to write.

I don't even know why the fuck he even writes articles at all. He's made millions off poker; Magic is just a hobby he can indulge in.

Like you said, it sounds selfish probably because it is. I don't want to blindly read his mind but he's in a good position, he has the money to comfortably devote all the time he wishes to Magic, he has the vast testing resources of one of the best pro-communities in the game, and he's friends with all the "big names" - so yeah, obviously he wants it to stay easy to stay on top. Who wouldn't?

Nobody in the public view in Magic has gameplay as a primary goal anymore. Sure, most everyone playing the game is still in it for the game - but every person with a voice in Magic has a separate top-priority besides the game itself.

This is a good and valid point, but the selection process for the pro tour doesn't really accommodate people being good at one thing and maybe not so strong at others.

god what an absolute weeping cunt of a """""man""""" he is

Honest question: Has anyone read any of EFro's usual "here is a deck you already know" articles?

I looked at a recent one on BW tokens because I've been thinking about getting into modern and I like token strategies. It was not very useful.

He's a big fat faggot like always.

Most "Pro Players" are unprofessional, the better players are those who genuinely play for fun and their jobs aren't grinding tournaments.

Considering how Modern became a significantly better and healthier format once they pulled it from the Pro Tour, this is correct.

efro is an asstard

>Most "Pro Players" are unprofessional
I remember it's either Efro or Owen who sperged when his opponent didn't want to concede to a 'pro player'.

That was EFro. It went something like
>You're going to enter the Top 8 regardless of whether you win or lose this game, I will only enter it if I win. If you concede to me I'll let you join the cool kid's club. How about it?
>No.
And then EFro lost and dedicated an entire section of his next article to how salty he was that the dude didn't accept the offer.

ayy channelfireball.com/articles/11th-in-houston-with-jeskai-black/

Jesus fuck what a complete cunt!
Anybody in there right mind would have told him to fuck off or call a judge and get him DQd for trying to make you concede.

Unfortunately, asking your opponent to concede isn't against the rules. The problem comes when you start offering things for them to do it (bribery), though you could make the case that EFro is doing just that by offering "equity".

The most telling part of this article is how Efro completely forgets that his opponent's prize payout could change depending on whether he wins or not. It's like he asked him to throw away a shot at $250 or whatever so that he could top 8 and get a fuck ton of money.

Is Magic played by anybody but cunts?

Like all communities in the world, usually those that are most visible are the cunts or the one that screamed the loudest, so more cunts.

Isn't throwing or determining the outcome of a match in any way other than playing it out like a hard line in the rules and will get you immediately DQ'd, no questions asked and no context needed if a judge hears it?

>determining the outcome of a match in any way other than playing it
Yes but this is not it. Conceding is allowed.

>throwing
No, no one can force you to play.

Well, I may have raged against him as an abysmal excuse of a Pro Player earlier in this thread, but the truth is, he IS spearheading the CFB Pauper promotional effort in writing all those Pauper deck tech articles, so I can't get mad at him for THAT.

The problem is that it looks like he didn't, he just asked the guy to concede and when he didn't, he decided to point that out after the tournament was over

No one can force you to play. You can concede at any time for any reason. There's a rules issue if your opponent offers you a bribe to do it, and EFro's promise of "equity" is maybe a morally grey area when it comes to it, though it's not a bribe by the rules of the game. However, it's also entirely possible that, had the opponent accepted, EFro would then have given him a part of his winnings as a "sign of friendship" or something like that, which would clearly be a bribe, but because it wasn't stated outright when the deal was made and they don't explicitly say that it's a thank you for conceding the rules can't really do anything about it. It's shady as fuck, yes, but it's better that these type of deals are legally allowed so that they are at least made in the open.

The thing is also that most pro players (including LSV) are likely on EFro's side on this, it's just that most of them aren't autistic enough to not understand how the public would react to it. An argument can certainly be made that no pro would have accepted the same deal from EFro's opponent had he been in the same situation, but that's also because he doesn't have the same leverage. You can also make the argument that EFro should just listen to his own advice and play better.

tl;dr: EFro's biggest mistake is being childish and autistic about it. The deal in itself wasn't illegal, and most pros would likely agree that his opponent should have taken it.