Animal Companions Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/: What have your experiences been with pets or trusty animals in 5e?

First game, but we don't have any pets or "Trusty animals" unless you count our Druid, who's a Tortle, as a "trusty animal". Which I guess she is some of the time considering one of her main Wild Shapes is some form of wildcat, panther or cougar or something like that.

What do your adventurer eat?
do they know how to cook?

>What have your experiences been with pets or trusty animals in 5e?
I had a small earth golem named Dwayne that was kept alive with a permanent Animate Objects. That one was pretty fun.

>Dwayne
>Earth Elemental
Is he perchance have a phallus-shape?
Did he cook often?
What was his most frequent attack? Some sort of grapple I bet.

ran a halfling rogue with a pack of mastiffs. was pretty fun. Since the animals were so cheap, I could easily replenish most losses when we reached a big city or my favorite dog breeder. Sometimes had to scrape by with a collection of strays though.

Ya got me

Got one of Klarg's wolf pets as one of my own in LMOP.

My druid bought a pet tressym and is taking ritual caster next ASI to keep it as a familiar so it doesn't fucking die on him

My goblin monk with proficiancy in cooking tool usually cooks up a monster or two, we had blue dragon jerky for days

terrible, because I'm the only great GM I have ever played with

>I'm the only great GM I have ever played with

How many levels of Monk do you need to auto-fellate yourself like that?

>Valentine's day is coming up
>Wants to make a weird dungeon for the occassion
I want the dungeon to appear regular, with the rumour that a ton of people have gotten lost down there.

Then it will turn out the dungeon is actually just inhabited by all the people who ventured down there, as some kind of love curse is put on it, making people who enter it become very... amorous.

So basically, the idea is that the people down there have set up a place to live, gotten children with whoever stumbled down there of the opposite gender, and decided to never leave again. Super comfy and nice dungeon as you get deep enough, but the people there are clearly under the effect of a spell of some kind.

What kind of encounters could I put here? The entire point is that it is legitimately a nice place, except for the mind controlling magic permeating the place. Any creatures that would be a good fit, that aren't just straight up evil? I plan on having a gelatinous cube (cleaning lady), but other than that, I am a bit stumped. There will be a weird Fey guy to fight at the end who did this for shits and giggles, but I kinda need more meat to the dungeon, or it will be over too soon.

Just to make it really clear - no weird shit. This is not a place to throw in magical realm crap, just a different kind of dungeon with a more comfy theme. The magic also wont affect the PC, that is already taken care of.

Any good ideas?

Not many.
I'm really only "relatively great" GM, as in, relative to all the garbage ones we've had the past couple of years

8, thats usually the point where you reach 20 in your mental dexterity stat

Make sure to make a map

>Have Goliath Barb/Bear Totem
>Gladiator Background gives prof Performance/Drum
>Stand on drum and flex
>Only do grapples
>Learn how to cook

We found a distressed dog in a recently-sacked village, and I happened to have a spell prepared to talk to it. It gave us some good information, we fed it, and now it's traveling along with us because he's a good boy.
We ended up finding two kids orphaned by the zombie horde that had taken the town, and now we're taking them to the city that we were already traveling to. The dog's done a good job keeping their morale up, and they his.

Small game, fish, and berries, when we can hunt and forage. Rations and/or goodberries when we can't.
They can reliably make simple stuff at the very least.

Every dungeon needs a succubus (male)

>Join game on roll20
>Everything seems great so far
>Last player joins, korean dude brand new to the game
>Noble background Goliath Barbarian with 12 con 14 cha
>Reference pic is just some dude with blue hair from getty images
>Description for char is straight out of shonen anime
Well it'll be fun to watch I guess

>goliath
>blue hair
>goliaths having any hair at all
Oh god no

hahaha
>he actually is a dude that died and was reborn into this world as a goliath

You mean an Incubus?

Sure

Posted this before, but seems topical.
The Sorcerer in our OotA game got a wyrmling red dragon pet. We later encountered a ghost, whose Horrifying Visage aged the dragon to young adult. It was fun

FUN

My PC is a lizardfolk chef. His dream is to some day open a tasting-menu restaurant featuring monster meat.

The usual menu is "whatever the party killed earlier", either ceviche, stewed, roasted, or pan-seared, paired with local vegetables and bannock.

>Hexblade
Nothing, since he was a construct. At a stick he flavored with prestidigitation once
>Aarakocra
Fruit, lots of it, especislly cherries.

How do I make combat interesting for a full caster party

I've practically pushed a pet flail snail onto my current party. Was it right to show them the joys of flail snails, or should I have let it happen more naturally?

Antimagic fields
Dead magic zones
Other such shenanigans

Have multiple encounters in a single day so they have to manage resources instead of blowing all their shit ASAP.

Using the recommend encounter difficulty guidelines presented in the DMG to offer them properly balanced encounters enough times per day to stress their resources.

This
I'm play a Thayan Necromancer in a game of Tomb of Annihilation and in the tomb resouce management has been very inportant

Obviously.

The Fey guy is intended to fill that role, don't worry.

Use gritty realism rest rules.

Intelligent enemies who are aware of their capabilities, and send casters of their own. Counterspell. Dispel Magic. Silence. Immobilizing casters inside silence. Many weak ranged attackers. Enemies who are immune or resistant to some of the party's spells.

Whats your view on megadungeons?

I liked the Doomvault
Is that a megadungeon

My party is mostly casters in a pretty magical world, so spell scrolls / books are very common. My wizard is always picking up new spells every session while the sorceror is kinda getting shafted

Should I allow the sorceror to also scribe spells? Just so they're on a more even playing field

There's one time our high leveled party get Mirror of Life Trapping.and create a zoo in it.

>How do I make combat interesting for a full caster party

every enemy is a stone golem

I wouldn't say scribe spells
But maybe the sorcerer could come across deposits of natural magic that give him new spells

As a hexblade, if I cast darkness on my pact weapon and then shunt it, causing the darkness to fade, would the darkness return when I recall my weapon? I couldn't find anything googling and I don't think anyone has asked on twitter.

Allow the sorcerer to scrape the magic ink off of scrolls and snort it for sorcery points

I don't see why not. The item still exists, you just teleported it away and can teleport it back.

>Doomvault
It's the mega-est, if a bit same-y due to too many Red Wizard encounters.

Magical Effects in combat that have to be dealt with along with the encounter.

Like the room in the Dungeon transforming into a mud pit that is drawing everyone in each turn while everyone is forced to make STR checks to make progress away from being pulled further in.

A full caster party gives you freedom to literally go off the rails with encounters and traps because you never have to worry about ole plebbo no magic feeling left out because he lacks tools to deal with magical problems

I mean you're in the red wizards domain
Thats like complaining about too many goblin encounters in a goblin cave
But theres lots of other (reduced threat) monsters waiting for you to come kick their ass
during my play through the wizard called the barbarian a pussy for not wanting to fight the behir, so he went and hit the behir and almost died before we came in to rescue his ass

pact of the blade specify's you shunt the weapon to an extradimensional space. so it's simply a case of do you think the magic would work across planes? personally i like the idea of the tactic so i'd allow it

do you think there should be a concentration check for the spell, i'm honestly not sure myself.

Ask your DM if this isn't purely hypothetical
And if he disagrees what are you going to say? "Veeky Forums says it should work"

>Your party capabilities is well known, even in outer plane.
>Now the slaadi want your party turned into green slaadi and will dispatch hunting team from time to time.
>Yes, they can appear everywhere, anywhere.
There, it works for any op caster party and it's role friendly. Also if they decide to destroy the source, then they have to travel to limbo and that place is basically DM heaven.

just thought maybe this came up for someone else before and they had a concise answer

are goliath chicks supposed to have hair?

Why would there be? RAW there's no reason for the spell to end or a concentration check to be necessary.
>Once a spell is cast, its effects aren't limited by its range, unless the spell's description says otherwise.

If you're really not so sure or feel the need to add a complication because you like the way it plays better, just ask your DM.

Is that just a really huge dungeon?

anytime, anywhere*
Fuck chaos phage.

Helmed horrors, beholders, the usual anti magic monster stuff.

I see
I mean I think they're all supposed to be bald like rocks but I honestly don't know

3.5 said that female goliaths have hair on their heads, and males do not. I think it was Races of Stone.

I think they can be fun for groups who are looking for that dungeoning experience. If your group just wants to talk to dukes and outsmart princes while vying for their place among the nobility, theyre gonna have a bad time

>look at the puny humans and dwarves, so womanly they even have hair on their faces

Do any of you use variant rest rules?
I like "Gritty realism" for a few reasons.
>Turns an adventuring day into an adventuring week which makes it easier to fit the reccom ended 4-6 encounters into without things feeling hectic
>Helps pace things out narratively without making it feel like so much is happening in such a short time frame
>Makes it a lot easier to implement downtime rules
>Gives more control over casters and their resources.

Am I reading Vampiric Touch right by assuming that the turn I cast it, there's a free attack rolled in with the spell (but during subsequent turns, I have to use the touch attack in place of one of my normal attacks)?

>barbarian can only rage twice per WEEK
>have fun with no class features idiot :^)

You don't throw as many encounters in a day as you woukd normally, you spread them out.
It doesn't unbalance anything because you're still throwing the reccomended number of encounters at them.

So, /5eg/, I will be playing my first 5th edition game in a week or so. I wanted to play a tempest cleric aimed to be some sort of frontliner tank, but, if I'm honest, I have absolutely no idea what to do. Any tips or recommendations?

You won't be doing much tanking as a tempest cleric

even a war cleric is in the danger zone any round he isnt dodging

The problem is having adventure in the city is surprisingly hard, especially if it involve investigation. Most of the time, either the players solved it too quickly, or they're too stupid and can't manage to piece the information together even when they succeeded every ability check.

My samurai man of weeaboo bard stuff only eats the quickest of noodles

How do you catch them if they're so quick

Nah, it's instant ramen.

Fuck I dunno actually
he has +3 strength and no dex mod

he survives off of pure willpower

What do you propose?

Forge Cleric can get the second highest AC of any class, if you want to tank that way.

Close. You get to make the attack the turn you cast the spell, and on subsequent turns you can use an action to make the attack again. It's not "in place of one of your normal attacks" because that would imply you could use it with Extra Attack. (You can't.)

In one game, my Familiar dies all the time but is pretty useful when he's alive. I find it kinda difficult to give him much personality though t.bh. Our Druid (who died) used to carry around a bunch of centipedes and scorpions for Giant Insect spells and that was pretty cool.
In the game I DM for we have a Revised Beastmaster with a blood hawk companion, I gave the ranger an attunement falconry glove that beefed him up a bit and it's a pretty strong bird now. One of the other PCs adopted an Owlbear cub and is planning to MC as a revised beastmaster also now, but since the cub just has badger stats right now it's been quite useless in combat, but the PC is pretty attached to it.

Only goodberries.

So I'm playing a hexblade warlock and I want to optimize my slaying. If my party ties up the last humanoid in a combat situation so we can take him alive, allowing me to put my curse on him and kill him with vampiric touch for double healing then res him as a specter and use my reaction to cast soul cage too for later use and finally draining his blood into vial for any summon demon spells I'll be casting that day, is there any other ways I can boost myself up from killing one humanoid?

Kill him with Blackrazor instead for THP and advantage on everything.

Speaking as DM, I have yet to find that one player who is secretly obsessed with cooking in-game and will try to go all Anthony Bourdain on my campaign.

I just want to use an Iron Chef plot hook, damn it.

>other pc trying to steal the beastmasters thunder
kill him
i hate that type of pc

>pinning the party I'm DMing against a rival NPC party that has character levels equal to theirs

whats the worst that can happen, /5eg/

>namefag
>OP
Jeez you're like a triple faggot

He's been planning to MC Beastmaster (PHB) since level 1, the ranger was planning to go Hunter until the Revised Ranger came out later. His bird will always be tougher than the owlbear anyway.

just disappointing that the only way this guy feels he can be relevant is by doing something the party already does, diminishing how the other PC feels about the uniqueness and skills he brings to the party
>i want my hawk to scout the are
>m-my owlbear will do it too!
get ready for that shit

We literally just played this last session, 3/5 ended the fight downed and the other two were at 6HP and like 20HP respectively (at level 12). Be prepared for a TPK, to fudge, or to have your NPCs make dumb decisions.

yeah that type of shit triggers me so hard i ban people playing the same class as another player.

The party is usually dumber than any NPCs you throw at them unless you play them dumb on purpose.

It's going to be fucking rocket tag, because you're not supposed to model anyone but party assistants as DMPCs

It would be more balanced if you used a system like max HP = Secondary HP pool and no death saves, but that still doesn't help the fact it sounds like you're doing a 'one single encounter that's against an enemy party and no other combats that day'.

technically succubus just means to lay below
so he could be a succubus(male)

Hey, playing a couple of the same class in one party aint that bad.

>Familiar dies all the time
Stop abusing your familiar to get the most mechanical gain out of it and treat it as a pet where you should care if you put it in dangerous situations

>Beastmaster wants to get their pet owlbear killed by pitting it against shit like beholders
Stupid

Um, no.

Succubus = female
Incubus = male

That said, they can switch between the two genders at-will. Because only demons are "genderfluid."

All rogue parties are pretty insane.

shit dm detected.
so, what are you doing now that your campaign died?

But user
Succubus (male) is a thing in current year

I dont trust players to not step on each others toes, and prefer mechanical differentiation to ensure proper spotlighting.

>Etymology
The word is derived from Late Latin succuba "paramour"; from succub(āre) "to lie beneath" (sub- "under" + cubāre "to lie in bed"), used to describe the sleeper's position to the supernatural being as well. The word "succubus" originates from the late 14th century.