/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/the-trinity-continuum-aeon-kickstarter-is-live/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/at-long-last-continuum-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Is anyone here planning to run/play Wraith 20th when it comes out in 20XX?
>New Geist preview
theonyxpath.com/all-souls-day-preview-geist-the-sin-eaters/
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/variations-on-a-theme/
>General Creation Kit
mega.nz/#F!FWJgBTbb!f7d5rARWHYzuI8-8aI-Bxw

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.581524/
forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.42867/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Mage Supremacy!

>Is anyone here planning to run/play Wraith 20th when it comes out in 20XX?

I've always wanted to play or run Wraith but have never been able to find enough people who also want that to get a game. I doubt the inability to find people who are interested in the game will change wit the rerelease.

Unrelated question: How compatible is the CofD 2.0 stuff with the old supplementary books from the original release?

From what I read up, a lot of the difference comes with changing up metaplots and mechanics between editions. The general setup is still likely similar enough to draw off of it if you're running a game, but if you're a player, chances are you wanna run things over with your ST first.

2e is shit though

Post non Veeky Forums media that represents your splat

>Mage:tA

Mage supremacy is myth spread by Magefags so deeply lost in their delusion they ended up becoming Marauders

Hello hello, me again. Got some links, and some spare time for questions.

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.581524/

forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.42867/

>2e is shit though
Is it? I'm not super familiar with it yet but it's probably going to be the next game my group plays so I'm trying to prepare ahead of time.

2e is fine, people are just really nostalgic for 2008-2014 White Wolf/Early OPP. It's a little more mechanically complex than 1e if you're using everything and there's not a lot of post-core content but it's still good. If your table likes to look through lots and lots of sourcebooks for character options and things, however, you might want to stick with CofD 1e.

>implying 1e is any better
cofd is just garbage in general

There's the attitude I remember about nWoD!

Why are mages so fucking powerful

Because they're reality warpers powered by sheer force of will and the strength of the human spirit.

Second edition is definitely the best iteration of WoD to date, mechanically speaking.

Beast PG when?

Mages are like anglers, always ready to exaggerate their feats and catches.

Nah, Mages are like privileged cis white males. Living in a golden land of luxury and power.

acknowledge your awakened privilege

How do Technocrats rationalise people who have no need for Foci?

"They are the reality deviants, shoot them!"

why deny that you are superior? That would only feed the Lie

psychics or some alien shit

Sounds like some Silver Ladder bullshit to me

What is the best concept for a Psionic Technocracy character?

What type of werewolf is the most fun to play?

Is Awakening as much a munckin fest as Ascension? I can't stomach owod crossover without Mages becoming literal D&D wizards via hanging effects and being impossible to take down with ritual autismancy.

CoG, Glass Walker or Bone Gnawer

Unironically this. If you're a weeb, Stargazers work too.

Awakening mages are more powerful but high vs low level powers are more balanced with each other due to flat XP rates.

In M20 Ascension, you are obliged to make your paradigm as boring and unimaginative as possible so you won't be hit by a Mind or Spirit surcharge that does nothing, and frivolous prereqs, XP costs, and target numbers conspire to make "shitloads of low level spheres" god tier compared to "few and strong" spheres.

In Awakening, all the Practices (what you get, in order, per Arcanum in a consistent fashion) are great, and branching out into new arcana is rather costly.

Mages are not balanced with other splats, but arcana of different levels are relatively balanced with each other. Getting Arcana 2 is majorly useful but a major investment, while getting lots of Spheres at 2 in Ascension is essentially mandatory and cheap.

A chrod hanging effect charges one or two "spell slots." One for the hanging spell, one for the stored spell. Note that the spell you are CASTING RIGHT NOW is also against spell control (iirc, 1 spell control per Gnosis and everything past that is progressively more paradoxical).

So do you want a hung (Time 2) and contingent (Fate 2) spell that costs 1 or 2 spell slots that will marginally help you once, or do you want to maintain 1 or 2 buff spells on your whole party?

Extended casting is more of milking a limp dick than the One True Way To Play, also; it gives just +1 per interval, max +5.

Worst part about Mage supremacy is that mages don't need to be specifically built to tarnish other splats. Only nine Spheres compared to 20+ Disciplines, dozens of blood magic Paths and scores of Gifts. All of which can be very expensive.

It's largely the same with Awakening but lessened.

>How do Technocrats rationalise people who have no need for Foci?
Having no need for Foci is not the same as lacking a Paradigm.

How so, user?

Excuse me but is the Storyteller Screen for Mage the Ascension 20th anniversary edition in one of the mega stash? I can't find it anywhre

Anyone have a fuckin clue of what a temakh from Mummy the Curse looks like?

Because if your paradigm is "psychic phenomena" or "de spirits help me," you are still required to add conjunctional mind/spirit that does nothing even after you no longer require Foci, just for starters.

Also its entirely fitting for a Technomancer to go from "staring at something really hard through a google glass" to "staring at something really hard."

>Using M20

No. You don't need conjunctional Spheres for paradigm fluff.

Again, from a scientific point of view of the Technocracy, how does someone within their organisation that has no need for foci fit into their narrative? Is that ever mentioned in any books?

Mage is too stronk for people to admit

Children of Gaia are the most fun if you're woke play up the "we wuz inventors of democracy and justice" history. Glass Walker if you immediately tell every kinfolk you encounter to go make you an old fashioned. Bone Gnawer if you have a harmonica.

An angry, flesh-warped ghost, pretty much.

>crossover
I found your problem.

>from a scientific point of view of the Technocracy, how does someone within their organisation that has no need for foci fit into their narrative?

A Technomancer (Arete 8+) with a broad vision of the reality of the Technocracy, which they apply to those under their command, their underlings rarely understand the rationale behind any particular assignment, but usually, it all fits together within the scope of the grander scheme.

>it's entirely fitting for a Technomancer to go from "staring at something really hard through a google glass" to "staring at something really hard."

"Hypothesis: All self-proclaimed 'spell-casters' exhibit psionic potential to varying degrees of latent aptitude. Conclusion: I am only hampering myself with this equipment."

People definitely admit Awakening's power level is intentionally high. Nwod isn't as zero sum as owod though, so I don't view it as galling; it seems more fun to use custom monsters via the Horror rules and the various antagonist creatures like Strix and Sublimati, especially as they're better able to challenge a whole party.

Ridiculous wank.

>yfw the Tremere are the most powerful faction in the World of Darkness

BAWWWW muh precious (mages/elders) couldn't have gotten pwned like in (supplement)! They would have used preptime to pwn them!

stale bait
but i'm hungry anyway

*ahem* REEEEEEEEEEEE

lol

What are some good alternative systems for humanity in vtm? Not paths, I mean custom/alt rules for determining it.

Death vs Strix = Shadow Dildos.

I like the idea of "Masquerade" as the vampire integrity stat, similar to but not as supernatural as demonic cover. It is lost for SOME similar things -- dead bodies can be just as harmful to the Masquerade as to Humanity -- but it varies depending on how big the Masquerade risk, etc.

It could affect how much they show up in reflections and how easy it is to pose as humans (another way it'd be similar to Humanity), but it is a sympathetic link between how much the vampire personally endangers the Tradition of Masquerade and how the Tradition of Masquerade (supernaturally) reflects him in turn.

In owod I might drop the reflection part and keep the humanity part.

Another idea is that Masquerade is linked to the power and frequency of hunters.

It's because the context of the game is different. Like, Mage postulates a more optimistic worldview that the other WoD games, and even the canonical conclusion (All of humanity Awakens) is notably happier than the other games.

For instance, in Werewolf, the Red Star is the Eye of the Wyrm. That's pretty bad. In Vampire, it's the beginning of God's judgement upon the Earth. But in Mage, the Red Star is actually the Tenth Sphere, Judgement, and is necessarily for worldwide Awakening. (The bad guy, Voormas, is actively trying to stop the Red Star from doing its thing.)

>Spheres and Thaumaturgy alone determine power of the faction
How can Magefags be so deluded?

Out of curiosity, does it then go on to describe crossover proto-clash of power style systems for vamps vs mages?

lolwat

I'm just throwing out a counterpoint posted in the previous thread into this nest of supposed splat bias between the lines.
There's wank on both sides. True Magick is canonically superior to Blood Sorcery- Disciplines in general.

If you want to discuss the actual logistics regarding the first and second Massasa Wars- we've got the forums for that.

Yes, it does.And in the offered system Thaumaturgy is so much better when it comes to power comparison that it isn't even funny.

Technically, it says more versatile, not superior.
They are doubtlessly superior overall, but it is nice that a Tremere can just develop Thaum and get a nearly limitless variety of rituals, while the most trifling variety or cool thing in a mage's spells requires you to stop and learn a whole new sphere.

>lolwat
Why are facebook roleplayers allowed here?

Vampires have a slight edge in contesting powers bar cheese.

This is fair on account that the true power of the Spheres lies not in intrinsically affecting its enemies, but conjuring magics they won't normally be able to properly combat.

Why spontaneously combust somebody when you can work kinetic energies around them instead.

mfw even Ascension indirectly supports Tremere's Thaumaturgy, despite existing for only 1000~ years is better than the Order of Hermes' True Magick, a tradition of Hermeticism that has existed since 2500 B.C.E; and that even the scraps of lore and knowledge they manage to ransack from Tremere chantries after they're crippled by the Withering, Technocracy, and other vampire clans is enough to boost the Order of Hermes to greater levels and causes it to flourish

Zero reason to think "I cast at you not on you" is mechanically distinct.

>Why spontaneously combust somebody when you can work kinetic energies around them instead.

Reminds me of Ban. My Thyrsus couldn't turn an Uratha mall(dentist) accountant into a frog so I just used Space to shut her down instead. She suffocated to death.

>E

Do you always feel so threatened? I joined this in good humour, and you're assuming I'm out to get your precious Tremere, lol.

That's a copypasta lol

I'm not if transmuting forces around the target is the same as transmuting forces within the target, user.

That's some piss ass logic.

I gotta say, that's one of the weirdest and funniest elements in owod.

Everything about Tremere and the Tremere is funny and/or weird to the point of being surreal, especially if you include that since Tremere is Tzimisce and Saulot as well, and Saulot is apparently a Yama Kang somehow, that'd mean Tremere is somewhat of a vessel for one too.

It seems pretty evident that they were running with 'superior', but hey, it's open .

>That's some piss ass logic.

Nah. Awarding yourself free advantages vs houserules for a retarded meta reason is piss ass logic.

>It seems pretty evident that they were running with 'superior'

It seems pretty evident that they're leading up to a proto Clash of Wills style system, in which case they meant whatever the result was.

Nah, look at M20. Are you saying Night-folk should use their inherent countermagic against a magical projectile instead of dodge?

yeah, that IS piss ass logic.

>lol

I didn't mean to start anything. Sorry. Apparently Vampire players aren't too fond of the Mage supremacy meme.

>Vampires have a slight edge in contesting powers bar cheese.
It's not a slight edge at all, any Elder or above can pretty much enslave any mage left on Earth without any difficulty whatsoever (taking in consideration archmages were buttfucked to the Deep Umbra)

Vampire could gets a Thaumaturgical ban to prevent Sphere usage in his haven or just enslave any lesser mage that has Correspondence 2 to enchant his patterns/a
trinket and suddenly he's got +30 successes you have to beat on all Correspondence Effects tried around him

Nah, that's fine. That enables some form of resistance afterall.

>he needs mage to defend against a mage

ban
>literally the only thing the tremere canonically had against sympathetic hermetic magic

You're starting to sound desperate

He is, which is nonsensical, but people on here are desperate for whatever slivers of power they can grasp no matter how rational or true the methods through which they attain it are.

>>he needs mage to defend against a mage

He did say "or," and Thaum ban has the advantage of not requiring a separate investment; likewise, Thaum has its own form of offensive Corro fucking which is free. You can use a lock of hair or whatever, but the easiest way is dex+crafts.

It's kind of sad seeing Vampfags lose their shit over Mages

Nice projection.

It's called insecurity.

Look at this hilarious Artifact I found

>Path of Mercury

>he needs mage to defend against a mage
Not their only option but why should it matter when it's literally what they do? Dominate and Presence are there for this reason. If you can enslave mages in a single turn and order them to do whatever it takes to protect you against Awakened foes so you can worry about other more pressing matters then why don't do it?

>>literally the only thing the tremere canonically had against sympathetic hermetic magic
Not true either. They even developed a Thaumaturgical Path called Perdo Magica which directly countered Hermetic magick.

Best rote right here

Based on the Spheres used this rote doesn't even work on M20 anymore LUL

Very noice

>Not true either

Specifically true.

>Because M20 supersedes all other editions in the same way 4e disqualifies 3.5e

just about the only place/time that the setting acknowledges the power of sympathetic magick

>hurrr if it we ignore the other sides abilities we can totally kick their asses.

You said:
>>literally the only thing the tremere canonically had against sympathetic hermetic magic
When canonically - as demonstrated with the image - they had a Path which thwarts any sort of Hermetic magick, including sympathetic ones. Are you dumb?

>path or ritual

What are you doing to prevent your Childer from becoming Anarchs?

Sounds like you're getting a tad bit annoyed, fella. Tremere have so few toys to use agaisnt them big meanie mages.

AMAZING