What other artifacts from the Christian mythos would work well as the macguffin in an Indiana Jones-style adventure?

What other artifacts from the Christian mythos would work well as the macguffin in an Indiana Jones-style adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Spear of Destiny.
The Shroud of Turin.

The Petrified Dick of St Biggues

The only other really interesting one is the Spear of Destiny. The Shroud isn't a lost artifact and is fake anyway. The Spear has been kind of done to death in other media, however.

The True Cross is always popular, but has no real powers associated with it other than being neat bling.

I get it!

Anything could work really. Saint possessions/parts, stuff belonging to emperor Constantine, hell even the shekels judas sold Jesus out for could be interesting

The shredded clothes of Jesus when he was crucified.

>The True Cross is always popular, but has no real powers
Are ye daft? It heals all wounds and sicknesses!

>Christian mythos

The Noah's Ark (I think some IRL expeditions actually searched for this one).
Gifts of the Magi.

The Arrows of St Valentine

>no, they're not a love potion

The nails from the crucifixion.
The original weapon (rock I think?) used by Cain to kill Abel
The Lance of Longinus used to pierce the side of Christ
The 20 pieces of silver given to judas for betraying the savior
Any of King David's artifacts
The Sling that slew the Goliath etc

Holy Prepuce
Head of John the Baptist
Sword of St. Constantine
Walking staff of St. Christopher
the upside down crucifix of St. Peter
lock of hair from the Theotokos

Dude Christianity has a fairly expansive amount of lore and mythology surrounding it that has largely fallen out of use in the modern day, not to mention nonChristians. You don't have a problem with the idea of Hindu or Taoist myth, so shut the fuck up about this

Solomon's crown or sealing ring
Moses' staff
King David's harp, sling, or shepherd staff
An original copy of St. Augustine's works
Sampson's ass-jawbone

Jesus' Foreskin:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

Not really Christian, but I remember reading somewhere that the Tomb of Alexander was venerated by pagans and later Christians and Muslims alike.

Excalibur.
And before someone yells at me, in a lot of the retelling of Arthurian Myths he was a christian knight.

Wasn't it 30 pieces of silver?

t. atheist shitposter

t. atheist shitposter

Maybe whatever is left of the forbidden fruit that Adam & Eve ate in Eden or something, though I'm not sure if there would be anything to stop your players from trying to eat it themselvesdespite it being probably thousands of years old by the time of your adventure. If you wanted you could try interpreting it like the Apples of Eden from Assassin's Creed or something if this was the case.

You could also maybe do the Holy Lance used to stab Jesus at his execution but you might get accused of ripping off Evangelion or something if you do.

Sword of St. Peter (that stuck the ear of the Pharisee's servant)
Pen of Martin Luther

The True Cross.

I like this picture of Mary because she looks quite young, often she looks older and more 'matronly'. It's glossed over in a lot of art but I think she was about 15 when she had Jesus.

>The True Cross
>no real powers

Yes.

Mister Christopher's walking stick would be a good one, though not as face melting terrifying as the others

I'm thinking it would let you carry people, resist elements, even grow to lesser giant size. What else would it do?

Fey artifact though.

People will feel the need to pat your head. Oh yes they will.

>pen of Martin Luther

It's Christian artifacts, not heretical traitor artifacts.

Eat shit and die, papist scum.

But also, Martin Luther would be the first one to tell you that things related to him shouldn't be considered Christian artifacts, since he's not Christ. He was opposed to the very idea of relics as there was no Biblical basis for believing that objects related to Jesus or saints could have magical powers.

Noah's tools, long campaign searching for them all.
The sprig from after the Flood.
The knife Abraham would have killed Isaac with.

The Gourd!

So inside the Ark of the Covenant are supposed to be several items, however in the movie (unless they're remastered it) it looked to contain just sand.

Where did they go? Well there's your MacGuffin.

First among them would of course be Moses's staff. It can turn into a serpent (according to Exodus), hitting a rock with it MAY lead to a spring forming, and pointing it at a body of water may cause the waters to part (or those may be specific miracles that only worked in specific unique circumstances, but in any case, I'm sure the players will need to find out if those work as they flee the BBEG).

Also inside the Ark is supposed to be the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments. I'm not aware of any powers associated with them, but they are alleged (in some traditions) to have been written on tablets made of SAPPHIRE. That alone makes them valuable.

Also there are potentially 2 sets, of 2 tablets each. The first set that Moses smashed, and the second set that replaced the first set. Finding the fragments could be a series of miniquests

Hammer of Martin Luther. The Golden Calf. The Shepherd's Crook. The whip used by jesus to drive off the money-changers.

"martin luther" "Christian"
pick one

Moses
-His staff
-his sandals
- the whip he used to damn him before pharoh
- a part of the burning bush
Abraham
-the knife of sacrifice
Solomon
- HIS EVERYTHING
Samson
-The jawbone
- His hair
- His shackles

Jesus
-the baskets that held the bread and fish
-the whip used to drive the merchants
- cup of christ
- the nails of the cross
- the true cross
- the crown of thorns
- the spear of destiny
- the coins of judas
- the shroud
- a piece of his tombstone (literally the stone of sealing)

not to mention untold others from miracles and acts of faith of jesus, let alone the acts of the saints later or the judges and prophets before

Martin Luther was a heretic that caused untold damage to all of Christendom. I know this is bait, but fuck you

The obvious one would be the Seal of Solomon that has power over spirits and devils. That's fairly parallel to the Ark, and they could do a whole travel-to-Sheba thing.

>and is fake anyway
Yeah, *that one* is. Obviously the real one was stolen during a daring heist in the mid 16th century, and it's up to you and your team of adventurers to track down the real shroud.

Samson's donkey jaw would be cool.

I thought the implication was that those items naturally turned to dust in the ~5000 years they'd been sitting in the uninsulated metal box.

If someone could bullshit a reason for it's preservation I think the crown of thorns would be pretty sweet.
Tomes written in the original language, pre Tower of Babel, would be another good one.
Jesus' foreskin is the true holy treasure though.

Where can that damned staff may be?
Do you see any staff?

I figured it was just clouded because it's not meant to be looked upon, hence why everyone dies when they do.

We got most of that stuff in our church basement here in Oklahoma

Catholics buttmad about people criticising their pseudo-pagan cult is hilarious.

They're just mad because somebody came in and fixed their shit for them after they hadn't gotten it right in the 1500 years they had to figure it out..

Does it have to be Christian? There were some pretty choice artefacts in the Young Indiana Jones spin-offs... I'm particularly fond of the Crown of the Rom from one novel.

Too bad the artist fapped while drawing it.

Blood of Christ.

Plenty of bones from plenty of St's.

>The True Cross is always popular, but has no real powers associated with it other than being neat bling.
An army of Jesus Christ which bears his holy cross cannot be beaten.

>The Shroud isn't a lost artifact and is fake anyway

>6th century Britain
>not converting your lake nymph waifu to Christianity and sanctifying the holy sword she gives you
It's like you want the Paynim Foe to overrun Christendom.

Solomon:
As others have said, this guy's an endless font. Any books he wrote (the original text of Ecclesiastes or the Proverbs, tomes of magic), his Crown, or the Seal would be the big ones

Noah:
Fragments of the Ark, the olive branch the dove brought back

Samson:
The jawbone, the Lion's skull, his shackles, the knife Delilah used to cut his hair

Moses:
His staff would be the big one, that he used to part the waters, open a spring or consecrate their victory of the Amalekites. Related would be the trumpets that sounded to bring down Jericho's walls.

Patriarchs:
Abraham's knife, Cain's stone, Joseph's coat, the pot that Esau sold his birthright for a feed from

Jesus
The obvious ones are of course the Grail, the Cross and Nails, and the Lance. Other options would be the 30 pieces of silver or the noose Judas hanged himself from, the Crown of Thorns, the whips that delivered the 49 lashes, the goad/whip he cleared the temple out with, or just about ANYTHING from his numerous miracles.

Acts/Paul:
Original copies of any of the Epistles. Probably no magical properties, but who knows what they REALLY said?
Anything associated with the Pentecost
The stones from Stephen's execution (the first Martyrdom)

Another option would be something from later in Church history if you want to go conspiratorial, like a lost work by Thomas Aquinas (what was he writing when he suddenly stopped?) or anything from the early Ecumenical Councils.

The Gospel of Judas in its original and unedited form.