Big Guys

One thing I don't get (maybe because I'm stupid with my worthless BA degree..) is the fact that people keep telling me that Giants or Big Mechs can't exist because of some stupid/no fun natural law that ruins all our fun.
Fucking bastards already ruined future Space combat for me...

Then how come Dinosaurs got to be 30+m long/tall and not be ruined by stupid realistic rules?? Why is a huge Ultrasaurus possible but not a 9 Ton Mech or a 10m Giant?
If there were 20-30m tall, 40-50 tons heavy super Dinos, how come Giant Mechs/Humans/Giants are "unrealistic fantasy"? I never quite got that..

Help me out Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rogan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Carroll
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Stadnyk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck it, just run based off rule of cool. Make up Plotium or magic to make it work. Just have fun.

If humans evolved over millions of years to be 30 feet tall, they wouldn't look anything like a modern human looks today. A human-shaped giant is impossible because of the way our skeletal and circulatory systems have developed. You can't just scale up a human to 4 times its original height because its heart would need to be 16x original size.

Dinosaurs were able to get very large because when they were small, they looked completely different, because they were completely different.

Replace the heart with valves and shit in the veins. Bam, done. Decentralized circulatory system.

>change the human form into something else
>Bam, done.

Yeah that thing I said.

Well, it would let you keep a humanoid form, rather than something more alien.

So it all comes down to the size of the heart and how much mass it can support?

>Then how come Dinosaurs got to be 30+m long/tall and not be ruined by stupid realistic rules?
because
A) most weren't that large
B) Most were bottom-heavy
and
C) Bigger ones means less speed

Their bodies would be extremely inefficient and would likely not survive if we scaled them to our size

If you can provide any explanation why the Square-Cube-Law shouldn't apply, then you're fine

Fuck man, I dunno.

Just have giant robots fighting giant monsters if that's what you like. Aint nobody gonna judge.

>So it all comes down to the size of the heart and how much mass it can support?

Pretty much. Also things like brain size. Whales have gigantic brains because it takes a lot of neurons to operate a body that size. They're not very smart compared to a human (whose brain is much smaller by volume) because most of their brain is used for things like "how to swim".

The square-cube law is a form of DRM on the universe and it took all of human history to find the CD key

that and a few other things
for one, the arms but especially the legs would have to be FAR thicker
this is the essence of the square-cube-law: Structural strength of bone is proportional to its cross-area. If you double all measurements in the human body, that person has bones with 4 times the cross-area, but 8 times the mass to carry. So if the bones before that were only on 50% load, then they are now fully loaded.
If you instead take everything times 4 you get 16 times the cross-area, but 64 times the mass
this also goes in reverse: if you have someone with all dimensions halved, they'd have a quarter of the structural strength but an eight of the mass. This also explains why small critters like ants can carry so much in proportion to their weight

>Square-Cube-Law
That's it. The enemy of everything cool.
Fuck the Square-Cube law with a cactus. You ruined everything awesome.

Reality is fucking lame. No wonder so many people like fantasy. Real Sci-Fi is boring as shit.

Very good explanation. Thank you user.

>Then how come Dinosaurs got to be 30+m long/tall and not be ruined by stupid realistic rules?
Show me a dinosaur that looks even remotely like a human bean.

It's just insecure manlets trying to tell themselves that no one could possibly be any taller than the 6feet giants roaming the land

>Why is a huge Ultrasaurus possible but not a 9 Ton Mech
This has seperate answers to the biological question answered upthread.
So, in no particular order:
>doesn't do anything a tank can't do, even/especially rough terrain
>Big mecha would have ground pressure issues out the wazoo and would bog down in anything softer than reinforced testing ground
>Big animals are fucking slow. A big mech would be very slow too, especially compared to other war machine designs
>Horrible to repair compared to other designs. An entire leg/hip assembly (Highly likely target of even basic insurgent weapons) with a significant amount of the vehicle's complexity in it is not a hot-swappable item.
>Head and torso shake make cabin inhospitable to pilot
>Much harder to go hull down unless human-like agility
>Needs highly advanced software or MMI just to perform basic manoeuvres
>Humanoid shape is much harder to armour effectively compared to tanks or other forms
>Humanoid shape is worse at wielding large weapons than vehicle form
>Powerplant is likely to be hottest, heaviest part of the mech and will be mounted at hip level or higher. This raises balance issues, and your radiator system will be an IR missile magnet.
>And many more!
Essentially humanoid combat mechs don't become possible until the form of your vehicle is a negligible factor due to super-technology.

it's also an explanation for why they can fall meters and be totally unharmed while an elephant falls a few centimeters and dies
and of course why they are incredibly slow. Mass increases with d^3 while strength with d^2, so mass per strength goes 1/d. Double and you are only half as strong relative to your weight. Take all dimensions times 20 and you can barely move

Possible reasons for having giants
>Extremely powerful materials
Their bones are pretty light but sturdy and their muscles are light but strong
>low gravity
Weight is less while muscle power is the same
>small grade gravity manipulation
if you can apply the above to yourself you can act as if you are in a low gravity well

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow
>Wadlow's size began to take its toll: he required leg braces to walk and had little feeling in his legs and feet.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rogan
>He began to grow very rapidly at the age of 13,[1] leading to ankylosis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Carroll
>He suffered from severe, 2-dimensional spinal curvature (Kyphoscoliosis) and acromegalic gigantism.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Stadnyk
>Stadnyk died at the age of 44 on 24 August 2014 from a brain hemorrhage.[1]

The human body ain't adapted to that kind of size
At least not currently

I really love Veeky Forums and all you fellow autists.
Ask a specific nerd question.
Get informational, smart comments within an hour.

There's a reason Veeky Forums is my favourite board on Veeky Forums.

>low gravity
Other way around. Low gravity means low air density, which means you don't get any support from the sides. High gravity means high density, meaning you can let the environment carry your fat ass.

It's why things can get bigger in the ocean.

something-something you don't need other boards.

air density is irrelevant due to it never being enough to support you unless you are extremely thin or have large wings.
any possible advantage you'd get due to air density and buoyancy is more than compromised due to your increased weight

>Square-Cube-Law
SUPERIOR MATERIAL SCIENCE is the answer.

You need to make bones 4 times bigger or 4 times more durable, and with better materials(probably some carbon based fuckery) it becomes possible in theory.
As we go with rule of cool, precise science can go and take a walk when we have fun.

kek'd, love you user

>until the form of your vehicle is a negligible factor due to super-technology.
and as with many other fun-killing things, even WITH super-technology, a blocky, wheeled or tracked vehicle is still more efficient

Yes, but calcium was settled in as the mineral of choice biologically because it's chemically active over a large range of environmental variables.