/cyoag/ CYOA General

Let's all just relax and fight edition.

>Drives, archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSehHHL4VYvb1KHZAKpn7a0rsCfvUUm3KgPxgvv8f1m47K58Cw/viewform?usp=sf_link
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LVzngjkpPnJvUpLg2R_GAVOJV6CDvxlWG5irzz4j1As/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tok is my waifu

Your waifu a lewd

Ya know, I actually like having a random pic for Op image.
Like a postcard or something to highlight the coming shitposting

Your waifu a shit

Fuck Tok

Rude. But true.

I love fucking Tok

white king
black pawn
illegal promotion for the white pawn from my black one
will use my superhuman intellect and scientific knowledge to get superhuman benefits since I also have a strong desire to do good I will likely do many of these tasks without even thinking about it

Kott please come back to us.

White pawn, black pawn, promotion.
Endless evolution. Extra lives.

Five days left to submit for the Collab. I've learned a lot from running this, which I hope to put back into my solo works. Here's the link to the submission form:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSehHHL4VYvb1KHZAKpn7a0rsCfvUUm3KgPxgvv8f1m47K58Cw/viewform?usp=sf_link
After submitting, save the link to edit your form, and keep an eye on these announcements.

To the submitter of Cosmos: I'm not sure if you caught my notice in the last thread None of these are required changes, but I think they'd go a long way for the overall quality.
If you did see this, simply let me know in a quick reply, preferably with whether or not you want to make any alterations.

To the submitter of Zlatbisa/Zlatbia: I cannot include your city if you do not shorten the descriptions.

And here's an example city and a link to a sample of the cities coming in the complete work:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LVzngjkpPnJvUpLg2R_GAVOJV6CDvxlWG5irzz4j1As/edit?usp=sharing

I just realized something.
If the thread auto-sages after post limit, can't we still bump with images if that limit hasn't been met yet?
By that logic, we could have made the last thread last a bit longer.

Logic hurts my bwain

No. If a thread is saging it can't be bumped at all. It falls off. Post limits aren't actually limits on how many times you can post in the thread, they're arbitrary restrictions placed so threads with thousands of posts don't stay on the board forever. If you pass it the thread is doomed to die regardless.

Aww, well that's sad.
I assumed since after image limit was reached you could still bump it might work vice-versa.

>White Queen
>Black Knight
>Promotion

What is your most hated aspect of a cyoa?

>Too little points/choices
>Too many
>Conflicting tone/atmosphere
>Too many pictures, not enough text
>Too much text
>Too many meaningless choices
>A clearly superior choice
>Too many companions that you don't care about
>Other (Explain)

I'm not sure if "most hated" is quite the right term, but I am always conflicted about immortality in CYOA's. Either it's easy (and a bit OP as a result) or it's fairly difficult and I burn all the points trying to get to it.

>having a points system at all

Just makes for a min-maxing mess. I much prefer a simple limit on the number of choices per section. Simplifies the system, and still forces you to make a decision.

When your choices don't seem to matter. Such as when the author starts you in so shitty a place that you're basically fucked, no matter what options you choose.
Honorable mention to:

How could you do a pointless no pun intended system when it offers a bunch of martial and magical skills?

I just really hate it when I can't read shit because because of bad color/font combinations.

Easy.

>Here or some martial/magical skills, pick X

If that doesn't work, you could have separate sections with a pick limit. So if you have immortality, 1hko, and ultra charisma, but you don't want someone to pick all 3, have them in a high separate "high tier" group where you can only pick 1 choice from it.

Point systems might allow more min-max (which some people do enjoy), but frankly, I find most of them boring.

Obviously there are exceptions, a few CYOA's have done a good job with them, but I wouldn;t be able to name any off the top of my head.

>western art placed alongside anime moe art
Immediately unable to immerse myself, either one or the other no fence sitting please

>useless sections about shit nobody cares about
If you've got time to let me choose the fixture on the kitchen sink please just cut it away and replace the whole section with something actually fun

>Immortality costs half of all points
You know that if you offer it I'm going to take it, please don't make this any harder than it needs to be

>real life /pol/itics in the CYOA
You're really fucking clever making orcs into a parody of black people and alluding to the refugee crisis, 10/10.

this fucking sucks, stop posting it please.

I love the useless shit section. It makes everything seem more personalized. The CYOA-equivalent of choosing whether to put something on your work desk, like mug with a "clever" but workplace-safe quip, or a red stapler, or a personalized photo calendar. Completely useless, but it makes the build "mine."

Bad Companions. Not a fan of companions to start with so when you get companions that are just poorly designed either through personality or powers then it just turns me off.

Also honest question, to my understanding Veeky Forums only considers NSFW exposed genitals, but would a cropped picture of saber with cum dripping out of her mouth cross the line? Asking for a friend.

I'm not saying every section has to be "important" but every section does have to be fun and change how I'm imagining the scenario I'm building.

If there's a section designed just for stylizing my space ship that's fine, but there's a point where the level of detail no longer warrants caring about because it's just not something I would care about in real life.

Ah whatever fuck it everyone's different.

>would a cropped picture of saber with cum dripping out of her mouth cross the line?

I want to ask something (bear in mind I have small experience running a CYOA)

Are narrative-based CYOAs too "un-interactive"?
Like there's no rolls, checks or points; it's just scenes after scene.

Pic related is it if you're going to ask.

Poor visual design (barely any design is better than shit design), themes I don't care about and/or "malicious" choices being forced upon me, and Space Jin.

Is cyoa related? What's your beef with it?
Also, space jin?

>mfw someone talks shit about space_jin in my vicinity

The artist known as Space Jin. I like Universal War more than most CYOAs.
Hey, I just prefer my body parts intact.

You're right in that, there is definitely a light touch needed. Too overboard with too granular details can induce apathy like nothing else can.

Does Death have a profile?

White Knight
Black Knight
And I guess Promotion.

Teleport people/equipment to mine asteroids/comets, Cut space travel costs in half (I'm definitely going to be charging hefty fees still), People will feel inclined to take deals I would appreciate over deals the would appreciate.

When I want days off I can "promote" someone else to do it for me.

I pretty much become filthy rich over night, get to do cool shit like kick-start asteroid mining, and I'm mostly exempt from the consequences of minor illegal shit.

>Space Jin
I get it. Love the way he draws ladies. Really not into crushed balls. Or balls in general.

Fantasy World CYOA: (+24)
Appearance:
>[Skin: White]
>[Hair: Black]
>[Eyes: Black]
Race:
>[Human] (Free)
Lifestyle Bonuses:
>[Craftsman: Enchanting] (-1)
>[Knowledge: Natural and Magical Sciences] (-1)
Physical Bonuses:
>[None]
Magic Bonuses:
>[Magic Affinity 3: 27x] (-12)
>[Lifespan 2: Infinite] (-8)
Aesthetic Bonuses:
>[None]
Miscellaneous Bonuses: (+4)
>[Money 2: 40k] (-2)
>[Companion 3] (-4)

Companion: (+8)
Appearance:
>[Skin: Tan]
>[Hair: Gold]
>[Eyes: Green]
Race:
>[Elf] (Free)
Lifestyle Bonuses:
>[Soldier] (-2)
>[Entertainer: Dancer] (Free)
>[Knowledge: Societies and Social Mores] (Free)
Physical Bonuses:
>[Grace 2: 4x] (-4)
>[Strength 1: 2x] (-2)
Magical Bonuses:
>[Lifespan 2: Infinite] (Free)
Aesthetic Bonuses:
>[None]
Miscellaneous Bonuses:
>[None]

Setting:
>[Magical Cyberpunk Dystopia]

>>>>>Fucking with my mind/Making me forget my life
The first is a bit annoying, the second has me drop any cyoa as soon as it does it.

>>>>>Fucking with my mind/Making me forget my life

??? Elaborate

What cyoa does this?

Being such a brainlet you hurt innocent people through sheer ineptitude

>looking at those fucking doors in the last thread

Not much to elaborate on, I don't want my mind messed with. A couple of cyoas do it as part of the set up/introduction.
The quiet cyoa does it, and a few of italics cyoas have done it. I don't have any of them saved though.

Do you mean an unreliable narrator? Or gaslighting? You're being kind of vague, user.

It's not hard to understand what he's saying user.

"You become the cute schoolgirl but you forget your past life as user" is fairly uncommon but it does happen and everyone gets pissed every time it does.

What I mean is: you are told (when you read the cyoa) that you have forgotten who you are, or you've lost some of your memories, or your memories have been changed.

But the examples I gave are also instances of "I don't want my mind messed with." If what he meant was "Don't alter/erase my memories" then he should have stated it plainly. It was a fault of communication.

r u autistic ?

>Italics CYOA has made you forget about your life/fucked with your mind.
What CYOA is this? Aren't majority of Italics CYOAs set in a different universes? Isn't PPP+ their only Isekai CYOA?

i spent a LOT of time on this wrightfagotry and then the thread closed!
reposting here.
i shall pass the yellow door.

as i approach my chosen path, i receive those powers which shall not impinge upon my future to the fullness of my taste.
>regeneration
>bloody evolution
>refuse the bitter pill
>Orphean request
>least sufficient miracle

yet, as i reach out for this final passage, i can not resist peaking beyond the veil, as he always knew i must.
>higher truths
in this last moment, i know what fate lurks past this door, yet i step forward nonetheless.

as i step willingly into the beauteous fields of dim Carcosa i come before my princess.
as our eyes meet she awakens from the sleep of these five hundred years.
she remembers the touch of the king so many years ago, how his blessing and care preserved her as shadows lengthened in Carcosa once before.
we each know the other for his children, though we bear no relation.

as we read The Testament of Alar, we see those pages which are not there.
we see that the circle is broken.
we see the outer ones hath not returned
we see the plan of our father
we see our part to play

and yet, we also see the error of a king.
we see what he in yellow does not
we see that art must have viewers to be valued
we see that his plan must not succeed in full
we see another path

as shadows lengthen, we prepare.
as black stars rise, we seek the path.
as the walls fails, we raise our own.
as the path opens, we ascend.

standing there at the opening, above Lost Carcosa at the height of it's splendor and madness, we each turn to the other.
of the other's heart, to partake.
by the other's hand, to die.
by the other's power, to be reborn
by the other's strength, to grow
with the other, to live evermore

thus it is we step forth,
into our new world.
into our world.
let all challengers come forth in the fullness of time.

No

Quests, if you dick around too much. Occident Fabula, you/the character forgot everything about your past life when you were banished to the island, but could probably remember it eventually.

Do we have to be authors to submit?

You don't have to be an author. I've already had a handful of anonymous or named non-authors submit cities. If you plan to author a full CYOA in the future, then think of this as practice.

>Quests, if you dick around too much.
I completely forgot about that CYOA existing.

>Occident Fabula, you/the character forgot everything about your past life when you were banished to the island, but could probably remember it eventually.
I also forgot about that CYOA since it will never ever be finished. What a waste of an interesting setting/lore. Dragons are absolutely butthurt about btfo by the Gods and Saints are OP as fuck.

>Incubus gets Riding A
>This skill in Riding is knowing how to ride men.
So they are Incubus (Female (Male))?

Hey Rosanon, for your new CYOA, do I choose a settlement size per race option, or do I choose a settlement size and then divide it between the race options I pick?

also what the fuck does WHR mean

Hello?

Hello

It's me, Picasso

What other legendary creature races could be added to make this CYOA interesting?

BLEU CYOA: (+25)
Race:
>[Human] (Free)
Appearance:
>[Skin: White]
>[Hair: Black]
>[Eyes: Black]
Class:
>[Wizard] (-6)
Physical Boons:
>[None]
Social Boons:
>[None]
Mental Boons:
>[Knowledgeable] (-4)
>[Willpower] (-4)
>[Quick Learner] (-4)
Miscellaneous Boons:
>[Lucky] (-4)
Companions:
>[None]
Disadvantages
>[None]
Setting:
>[Modern Fantasy] (-3)

>no cyoa in the op
you fucked up nigger

It was actually very refreshing

its split the thread

Is the autthor of a quiet cyoa from here?

Doesn't work that way, user. You can bump a thread that hasn't reached the post limit, even after it's reached the image limit. It's always the post limit that's the bottleneck.

Author i meant

WIPs that never get completed.
Increasing costs or decreasing available points.
Not having my fetishes.

Yeah, this usually leads to me dropping the cyoa.
>Wrong things cost points / give them
It doesn't matter when these aren't alone, but it does make me wait for a punish
>Doesn't have associated music
This isn't actually "the worst", but please people, do it.
>You are bound to be overpowered
It's kinda odd. I want to play out my power fantasy as a creator of the world, then live it out as a well-off individual. However, I definitely do not want the responsibility associated with being the king of everything, destroyer of worlds etc.
This is usually another issue altogether; niche choices with a generally lucrative one. As a guideline, have at least two generally lucrative choices along with the niche ones.

>One page CYOA
If I love it, I just desire more. If I'm not that interested, I just forget it.

It's called Choose Your Own Adventure for a reason. It's bad when it feels too limited.

I simply don't care about companions at all, and I feel like the Authors would be better off spending the time they waste on companions on doing other stuff.
I honestly even stopped bothering to read them at this point, I just skip the companions sections altogether (yes, even if they're waifus). Consequently, CYOAs which only point is picking premade companions are just unbearable.

>Other (Explain)
Bad formatting. But not in the sense that they're not fancy/polished enough - some of my favorite CYOAs are just plain white text on black background with some pictures.
What I mean is when the CYOA is just a mess to read and play. Stuff in one page directing you to stuff you'll only find 3 pages later, or CYOAs that force you to backtrack to other pages, etc.

Honestly same with this one.

So I can choose two quests from the first section, three quests from the second section, and another three quests from the third section, for a minimum of eight quests before I even spend any points or fulfill any requirements?

>Too little Points/choices
>Too Many

Kinda both? I'm the kind of guy who 'will' take drawbacks galore, but even I dislike too few choices relative to how many points you can get. I still hate overly harsh restrictions though.

Ehh this is contextual. I mean some of the more comfy and beautiful CYOA's are also the more tonally dissonant. Urban Unease comes to mind, or "The Village" CYOA where it's basically Haibane Renmei minus the wings and it has an eerie tone even before drawbacks.

But this is a measure of balancing tone "just right" and sometimes it can be hideously off.

>Too Much Text

I'm shallow, I like the images and text to be roughly balanced, but I'll like an image heavy CYOA over a text heavy one because it can be daunting to approach something with constant bricks of text.

You see this in more lewd CYOA's more times than not because the author is creating from their own specific tastes so if you don't match up you're out in the cold.

From what I understood, you want to take the quests before choosing your powers?

If so, yes, I guess you can. But how are you gonna slay Godzilla without any powers?

To put it another way: There are three categories of quests. Do I have to choose one category to pick quests from, or can I do quests from all three categories?

By "spend points" I meant spend points to buy extra quests.

Industrial Decay.
Subarctic Climate.
Marshland, Woodlands, Lakes, Rock formations, Rivers
Apartment room
Village border
Inviting Pendant, Sorrowful Mask, Yellowed Book
Endless Expanse
Archivist
The old castle, blossom meadow, primeval forest, fairy grove
Dapper Gentleman
Nighttime Shades, Mystery Festival, Decay City Ruins, Old Guard
Gimme friends.

That's as close as I can describe Finland.

>style
Rural Japan - I've never picked the weeb option with this one
>Climate
Subarctic - Snowy mountain village with onsen's vibe
>Geographical Features
Mountains
Volcano
Woodlands
Rivers
Waterfalls
Lakes
Cave Systems
>Living Accomodations
Old Mansion - So it's a bit of a fixer upper
>Residence Location
Far Outskirts - Classical Japanese estate surrounded by snowy farmlands.
>Special Artifact
Pale Ring
Shiny Marble
Fur Mantle
Inviting Pendant
>Village Borders
All Roads Lead - A bit creepy, but also convenient as hell if you get lost
>Occupation
Carpenter - Practical given my living conditions, and it gives me an excuse to wander in search of premier tree's to fell and use as material.
>Village Highlights
Healing Spring - Onsen~
Fairy Grove
The Old Castle
Crystal Cavern
>Village Guides
Smug Little Girl - Seems the most likely to meet given my location of residence
Dapper Gentlemen - His connections to the community will make acquiring services easy and will smooth over my "newness" to them by association.
>Uneasy Peculiarities
Wandering God
Ruined Cathedral
Otherworldly Mist
Nature Sprite

anyone heard about the author of this?

from my understanding you can choose three, or two in the firs one, from each option. Or else it would mention the overall limit, and there wouldn't be a differentiation between the quest point, like the one between the first and the second.