Jumpchain CYOA Thread #2028: WIP Edition

>Google Drive
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1qb0_OLhDrDSmZpRWdZaGZRcWs?tid=0B20r6rsFLOg_Zk5RdVdya3hJNnc&authuser=0

>Jumpchain IRC Chat
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=rizon.mibbit.org&channel=#JumpchainCYOA
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/?#JumpchainCYOA

>Rules
pastebin.com/Gqj3iKyn

>How to Jumpchain
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDNjZmRG02SDFaRVk/view

>Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D-YIldov4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's kind of weird how none of the M:tG jumps have a scenario for obtaining your Spark.

Reposting for visibility

Question if Regalus is on for Data Squad can Junomon tell the difference if you are also a Jupitermon (in the drawback)

Also do you need to act a certain way to become an evil digimon like devimon? Or can you obtain such a form through non-evil means

Probably because the idea of the spark has long since diverged from standard MtG ideas of what it is.

>tfw can never even be a NuWalker because people are afraid of giving out something that sounds like the Jumpchain Spark

Good day everybody! Have a 70% Genesis Wip.

Things still missing:
Intro
Fleshed out locations
Two 200cp items for Drop-in
90% items for Angel
10 of the 36 Angel perks
Companion Section
More 100/200/300 drawbacks
Good grammar
Things I would like the thread to review/criticize

Please check the second 600cp perk for Drop-in, I tried to make a perk that could let you do miracles and after rewriting it like 50 times I think I made it confusing mess. Almost the same story with the 1000cp perk for Humans, with the addition is that the perk may be broken.

Thing I would like to see suggestions of:
OC companions
Drawbacks
Missing items
A good spellchecker
Any perks you don't like
How to fix the formatting (because it looked fine on google docs)

Other jumps of mine:
Half of afrocentrism is done, and it's fairly small so I'll probably have it by next week if I manage to finish Genesis by saturday like I have planned.
The Kino Jump has 10 of its 30+ locations fleshed out.

I'll answer in around 5 hours when I wake up. Feel free to shitpost me meanwhile.

Tell us about your companions and how people react to them

>Genesis.pdf
Thankies

Speaking of, do we have anything that could mimic an Oldwalker's physiology? That is, they can change and reconstitute their body however they wish at any time and exist more as ethereal spirits than anything else. Other than DYN/Dies Irae stuff?

Waveform Anatomy from Evangelion is pretty much that.

>tfw you realize that NuWalkers aren't shit compared to the Kaleidoscope

The second human capstone just cuts off at 'Nothing is impossible for you and'. Also, for the 1000cp perk, it's kind of...iffy. It's a lot better compared to Imago Die, that's for sure.

>What is magic in labyrinth like?
In the Labyrinth movie, it's more on the subtle end of things; like trapping someone who eats a peach in a daydream, turns a bay window into a gate into the labyrinth, transforms into an owl, summons minions, fast-forwards through time, etc.

In the Return To Labyrinth manga, magic is a bit more flashy and combat useful, but since I didn't want to cover it it serves as inspiration only.

Er, OP, last thread was #2028

Eh, not quite. Oldwalkers exist independently of their body, that's just making your physical body your soul. It's more the opposite, really.

It's not what it does, it's what it represents in the M:tG setting. Sure there are plenty of empirically superior options for magic-boosting and dimensional travel, but they don't have the same fluff. They lack the mouthfeel, if you will. And Nasuverse is, like, the McDonald's of fantasy settings.

Time to wipe off a third of the stars from the heavens

Where can I get some magic power boosters?

>companions
>plural
The number has... fallen recently. Right now the only companion I have is Mendicant Bias. People tend to react less to him than he reacts to other people. That is, extreme nerd rage about how stupid whatever he's looking at is. When you tell someone that what they're talking to is a full-on Seed AI, they tend to just roll their eyes and go 'okay' unless that's a concept they think is reasonable. There isn't much presence to simply speaking with a voice synthesizer.

In the past, I had the AI inside my Intelligent Device. It wasn't the most eloquent of partners, but it was my Device. It got subsumed within Mendicant Bias and integrated itself into one of it's subroutines.

I also had a Sentinel bodyguard, but it too was subsumed within Bias' control.

...I have a feeling this is going to become a running trend.

>A good spellchecker
...You know not what you ask for, fellow Tsukihime fan.

>1. The seventh day:
You're going to want to capitalize the S in seventh and the D in day.

>2. Garden of eden:
Capitalize the E in Eden.

>3. Gates of heaven:
Capitalize the H in Heaven.

>4. Babel Tower:
This would be more properly stated as 'The Tower of Babel'.

>5. Noah's ark:
Capitalize the A in ark when using it as a proper noun.

>Vox Dei (100 cp) Free Drop-in: Saying that you have an angelic voice is an understatement, your voice is now pleasant to hear, background noises tend to stop when you speak and your pronunciation is impeccable. Lastly when you want to stay hiding people will have a hard time location where your voice comes from.

Okay, so, two things on this. The first is a bit subjective on my part, so feel free to just skim over the next two paragraphs if you just want spelling and grammatical fixes.

Given the way you've phrased it, I think you might want to mix the first two sentence-fragments up a bit. Because as of now, you go from 'an angelic voice' to 'a pleasant voice to hear'. Given the connotations of an 'angelic' voice, that kind of sounds like a downgrade. You may want to go for something like "Saying that your speech is pleasing to the ear would be a drastic understatement, for not only is your voice positively angelic, but all those distracting noises of the world seem to quiet before your eloquent mastery of the spoken word." Or some such.

As for actual grammatical issues, the last sentence has some tense issues and an adjective - verb and noun - verb mix up. Firstly, you want to replace 'hiding' with 'hidden'. Second, 'location' with 'locating'. Lastly, you want 'came' instead of 'comes', since you're referring to someone trying to find you based on the sound that's already left your lips.

So something like "Lastly, when you want to stay hidden people will have a hard time locating where your voice came from."

As opposed to what a True Magic represents. You're just splitting hairs at that point, to be honest.

>Oldwalkers exist independently of their body
No, they don't. They exist independent of their brains. Their consciousness is distributed throughout their entire being, and said being is malleable and easily transformed into other states, but if it was completely destroyed they would die just like anyone else. Annihilate an oldwalker's body and they're dead, they don't just float around as a spirit.

Something that isn't relevant in the majority of stories set in the setting, that's pretty much exclusively used by one old dude to amuse himself? As opposed to the entire premise of another setting, from which many of the conflicts spawn. Also, Fate metaphysics are an annoyance.

Yeah, the Third Magic doesn't represent anything as interesting as being a pre-Mending planeswalker.

Something like Cast Away This Vessel from Sword & Sorcery?

The only reason it's interesting is because they depowered planeswalkers later on.

Nah, they were interesting way before then. I remember reading the Magic novels as a kid and thinking planeswalkers were the coolest thing ever. Followed closely by Karn, then Multani, then Chainer, then Ixidor, then I didn't really care about anyone else in the setting.

What's the difference between old and new, then? Seriously, I don't understand exactly what the changes were aside from 'not-quite-infinite power on tap' being taken away.

Undying energy beings held together by pure will vs mortals who've gained limited abilities to travel between Planes.

Oldwalkers were energy beings, immune to human weaknesses like age or need for sustenance, could shapeshift since their forms were arbitrary, and could travel between planes easily and instinctively. Newwalkers are just people that can travel between planes, and have a harder time of it than the old ones. This is a big part of why Nicol Bolas is so angry. It's not just that he's been depowered, he's got plenty of ways to grow stronger and is more or less back to where he used to be. But after millenia of being an ethereal entity of pure magic he's bound in flesh once more, and that fucking sucks.

>The number has... fallen recently
wuhhabned?

>It got subsumed within Mendicant Bias

that sucks

Well, it's not like it's dead per say, but it decided to network itself so deeply with Bias that the difference between the two of them has become indistinguishable.

Just a tad creepy when you realize your eager and supportive AI buddy has become part of an absolutely monstrous intelligence. Even creepier when you realize that the intelligence took a shine to you independently and they both carry the same affection for you as before.

Makes me feel a bit in over my head.

>Missing items
Maybe the Trees of Life and Knowledge? Or seeds to grow your own.

They can also die to mundane stab wounds.

Well, that sounds pretty nifty, except if is correct, it sounds like not all planeswalkers were created equal in the first place. Or got power ups. Which pretty much brings me back to the question of... what's different at all, other than the forcible depowering of oldwalkers?

Magic isn't a very consistent series or very well written given how it's written.

You could always be a Demiurge in KSBD. You are able to do most of the things that an Planeswalker can minus the shapeshifting (probably), and also get a cool crown.

The Oldwalker in question wanted to die, which is somewhat relevant when their will is what keeps them alive.

...Man, Dragon-dude isn't doing so hot. Should I be feeling sorry for him?

Should have just jumped into the sun or cut a deal with a dragon, then. I mean, a planeswalker's spark is nice, but it seems much ado about nothing in particular unless you're an MtG fanboy.

He genocided most of his immortal race for his ambition, including his family

So, no, then?

Yes, but they'd recover from that, eventually, if you didn't keep causing more damage before they could heal it. How it works is that when a planeswalker's body is pretending to have things like organs, they can't do anything those organs would require without them. Damage their brain and they're still alive, still conscious, but detached from their bodies and paralyzed. Really, it makes you wonder why they didn't just all go around as golems, no organs to damage.

I guess it was that sense of transcendence. Newwalkers aren't really anything special, they can't do anything that anyone in the setting can't do. They've just got a bit of convenience since they can planeswalk unassisted instead of needing a portal generator. Neat, but they're still just people. But oldwalkers were something more, something beyond human, free of human weakness and frailties and limits. Maybe it's just because I was your stereotypical nerdy kid that didn't fit in, but that idea of leaving everything behind to be something better captivated my imagination like nothing else. The True Magics...you're just some guy that's learned a neat trick, anyone could be like you if you weren't selfishly hording that knowledge. But a planeswalker is a unique existence, and the narrative never treated them as anything else.

SoftAnon, can we have The System in Generic Isekai give experience points for completing quests ("rescue the drowning child", "catch that thief", "save someone from the burning building", "explore the cave", "find senpai a gift for their birthday", etc) rather than just being a random murderhobo?

Giant floating exclamation points optional.

Doesn't the gamer cheat give you that already? I could have sworn it did.

iirc he based it on Kumo and a few others, where it does absolutely require something to die.

Not unless I missed an update?

>In practical terms, that means that killing things now gives you experience points

Why not just use "A Hero’s Quest" from the summoned hero tree then? Hell, if you had the gamer cheat as well, it would probably translate to giving exp rather than just making you stronger.

>Commandments
>in Genesis
Save that for the Exodus jump

For this chain I'm trying to avoid perks that (at least as written) change how other people behave by fiat. So a perk that gives me XP for saving a person is fine, while a perk that makes a person reward me for saving them is not.

>literally A P O L O G I Z E

kek

Or being a Key in the Buffyverse. Which is free, by the way. For no CP, if you're willing to endure a decade of apocalyptic magical shenanigans you, yes you, can sunder the barriers between dimensions to destroy them and become a godlike lynchpin of reality.

Yeah but then you need to go to the Buffyverse.
As much as I loved the show as a kid, the idea of having to live in that hellhole (no pun intended) doesn't strike me as a good idea. Especially since there's a lot of ambiguity as to how powerful the forces on both sides can get. It's difficult to know how strong you'd need to be to be completely safe.

Reality warping protection and don't-notice-me fields a must.

I'd rather just take Sorcery Savant, even if it does actually cost 600, it says the spells you cast will be on the same level or possible above that of the greatest witches on earth, once you gain more experience. Which means you should likely keep pace with miss accidentally an apocalypse, several times, and a couple on purpose Willow.

As someone who's looked into the insanity that is the expanded comics universe, the Buffyverse is literally perfect as a battleground for a high level Servant like Gil, Gramps or Karna. Or a Jumper who's gone pseudo AND demi with Servants who aren't top tier.

Half the time you're dealing with things the movie Blade could deal with. An indestructible demon turns out to be not immune to rocket launchers, for example. The problem is, as a general rule every season's big bad escalates from the previous one, until you've got deities only hindered by their human prisons. Not unlike Rinshtar, actually.

And then in the comics, fucking around with magic too much can destabilise the universe-and maybe the multiverse. The craziest thing I remember is not the SENTIENT parasite universe that wants to use Spike and Buffy fucking as a gateway to infest the main one. They couldn't even fight it. All they could do, was detonate the magical heart of the planet so it was locked outside the universe forever.

And there's no sign it was the ONLY one. Hell, it might even be THE most powerful thing in existence; Illya can time travel, Glory was willing to risk tanking universal explosions just to go home, and like I said the Key is compared to a deity's level of power.

Willow's the most powerful witch around, isn't she? How crazy does she get at maximum pseudo-lesbian mode?

I'm not quite sure how strong Willow gets, just that she became her own source of magic, and even before that could fight on par with or better than the old ones. Like her vs Illyria isn't an unreasonable match up, it'd be pretty fair.

Though her weakness is one bitch of a weakness, inconsistent power levels. Her best though seems to still be under fight a sentient universe, but not by much.

>universe that wants to use Spike and Buffy fucking as a gateway to infest the main one
Don't you mean Angel and Buffy or have I missed something?

Angel and Buffy yeah, all the dysfunctional vampire boyfriends tend to blur together after a while.

>Flaming sword
Awesome, more pieces for my SCP-001 expy

Maybe done? Dunno.

Just remember that this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened to Angel. His own son's birth was part of a plan of an evil/fallen god to be born into the world. Apparently getting angel to have sex with people is a vital component to several methods of ending the world.

Dunno either. You're right that it might be, though.

Is that how Val and Bee met ?

I mean to be fair, looking at their powersets most of Buffy's circle could also probably end the world if they had sex with the right person and the wrong time. I figure Angel just has the most bad boy cred because he spent centuries as a legitimitely evil monster.

Stupid Sexy SCP-001

I makes a bit of sense though, wouldnt you think? The rarer somethingnis the more magical power it tends to have.

A really old vampire who has repented and tried to set himself on the righteous path? Those dont come around often.

I can't decide between 'Iconic Super Genius' and 'Iconic Super Science.'

What happened to the Stealth power?

Eh, Spike repented. Angel was cursed.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D-YIldov4

The idea failed to germinate.

Same criticism as last time, I have to repeat. The powers need to be priced differently for some of them. Some of these things, like light speed movement or making devices on the world scale, are just plain better than others, like limited super strength to pull big ships or a blast that just destroys a few city blocks.

That last one especially, why would I go for blast if I could instead pick Kinesis and throw around city sized hunks of rock or fire?

>looking at their powersets most of Buffy's circle could also probably end the world if they had sex with the right person and the wrong time.
Maybe
>Dawn
Certainly, banging the sapient dimensional gateway could always go wrong.
>Willow
Honestly possible, but I think the times when she's having sex, are the times when she's least likely to end the world.
>Xander
Harmless.
>Cordelia
Tots happened, nearly ended the world.
>Giles
I'd say safe.
>Oz
Safe, I'd argue it'd be more dangerous to fuck Seth Green.
>Faith
As dangerous as Buffy herself, maybe slightly less so, but not by much.
>Anya
She wishes fucking her could end the world
>Spike
Like Faith but to Angel as she is to Buffy. Pretty much equal chance to fit the role.
>Riley
More dangerous than Xander, but still a fairly mundane human.
>Tara
Most likely to save the world by having sex, than ending it, considering that her dying nearly caused Willow to end the world. Otherwise she's not any more dangerous than Giles.
>Andrew Wells
More likely to try to end the world to get sex than to cause the end of the world with sex. Also can't get laid without magical aid in the first place, so pretty safe.

And that's the entire list of their group from the wikia, so 5-6/12-14 depending on if you are including Angel and Buffy. So under half, but still way to high of a number for any group, or reality. I would put having sex with people in Buffy as being as or more likely to end the world than as having sex with people in SCP

And has a soul, that's an important bit for it, that he has a soul, which he shares with Spike. Though Spike is actually the better person/vampire, as notes, Spike changed over time and repented then gained a soul rather than being so evil that a soul was forced on him.

>Xander
>Harmless.
Amusingly, Xander is the only member of the gang that has, during the course of the series, stopped a world-ending apocalypse without the aid of others. (Willow flipping out over Tara.)

I mean his own race also spit on him for having ambition so maybe?

Okay, so how would you improve Strength or Flight to be worth 600?

>That last one especially, why would I go for blast if I could instead pick Kinesis and throw around city sized hunks of rock or fire?
Because by the time you collected up a city-sized amount, the guy with Blast has burnt a hole through your head from outside your control range.

>>Anya
>She wishes fucking her could end the world

I saw what you did there.

I wouldn't, because you're very unlikely to be able to think of appropriate things. Instead, you should just price the tiers differently. If a power is better, have it cost more.

But what if I just take a little bit of my huge control to make a shield as big as several city blocks from rock, because a entire city is easily sparing that amount of mass, and then use my powers to throw the rest of that near city sized mass at the foe? He might be outside my range but I can still exert force within that range to throw things. I have range, power and defense all at once, all in vastly superior amounts to the Blast user at the same price and they don't even have defence options.

Yea, and his best abilities amount to little more than vague knowledge of military weapons and tactics due to a spell once cast on him. On the note of Willow, I think she has the most world saves under her belt, but none of them even close to alone, even when she went off to save the world on her own she still got help from other members of the group to complete the job. Also if you count the number of times she has nearly ended the world against her score of saving it, she's still got to save it a few more times before she breaks even.

So Xander is actually numerically the best at saving the world, despite having utterly average stats and abilities, because he's also in on almost as many world saves as Buffy, and has also never caused, or been even tangentially relevant to someone's plan to end the world.

I some jumps to make the power level of my chain skyrocket, any suggestions?

There you go.

Worth putting the time tradeoff in the Power text or in the Notes then I think.

Become an Outer God.

That's pretty much my only complaint about an otherwise great jump then. Thanks myrmidont

I have in 0.86.

Cool. Looks good. How would we build Mr Mystic, e.g. his teleportation etc? Buy the Super Science power using the Magic theme?

That is probably the best way - take the Magic theme with (ironically) Super Science, and fluff the time spent "building devices" as time "researching spells".

Can Super intelligence just work out how to build Super science, given time to study?

Not really the intended effect, but I suppose while in the jump they could - but it's like asking Einstein to paint a Mona Lisa or Newton to write a Shakespearean play. They could probably figure it out, but they'd be out of luck once they left the setting, though.

Interesting. Will definitely jump when it's done.

Huh? Super science doesn't really run on magic or funny metaphysics in the setting. It's just the conclusion of what happens when you give all the super geniuses running around access to a lab. There's not really a super genius running around who doesn't have cool tech.

Oh, it's you.

Neat way to format the superpowers. I dig it.

Now I want to know much would it cost to be Doc Impossible, he was kinda cool. I think he had strengthow, speed, toughness beyond humans, he was super smart, and he had his tech, and I don't think any flaws really fit him, so... 1700PP, or 1800cp. But that's without Perks and I think it's far to say he basically has a couple. Damn that's painful.

I mean, it's a valid point? The intelligence power already talks about how you can singlehandedly invent ridiculous crap, why pretend that the science power runs on entirely different physics?

Yeah, whatever, man. You've said it all before, don't have to bother doing it again.

The City of Angles jump
This looks familiar. I've heard about the setting somewhere before; not sure where or when.

Ok, a lot the the descriptions are rather obtuse (sorry) I'm not sorry. Echo doesn't actually tell you anything about what an echo is, that you have memories of a previous life in the real world, before waking up here, but are just a copy, with the real you living a life you will never have again. If that is what an echo is (also, how did they find that out, a new echo meeting an echo who had been there a long time, but that interact with the real person more recently?)

Bedlam doesn't state what the state of bedlam means in the city, or how it affects your life, or how you fell into bedlam.

etcetera etcetera. Lucid also needs attention. A Background is the first thing you choose, the differences between them and how they effect your start in setting should be clear.

Items, when you don't have enough for each origin, what has been done recently is to make one of each price tier discounted, with the 50 and/or 100 CP discounted item(s) being free.

The Memorial Stadium Exclusionary Zone (any relation to the AO3 fic "Worth the Wait" exclusionary zones?)
What happens if there are two or more people trying to warp reality and they end up in a tug of war? Is it weighted by willpower? Does whoever purchased the stadium have trump or veto powers? does it go by whoever is closet to the thing being warped?

If shenanigans puts someone in a dream in stadium when it is located in the real world, what happens if they physically walk out? Is the body they walkout in their new one as long as it is physically possible, and their old body is in a coma unless the process os reversed?

Are you going to post that "I have no bloody idea, fanwank something" reaction pic?

Why don't you have a drawback where you are the dreamer, with a split psyche like Patient 23, and cannot move on to another jump until you convince yourself to wake up?

>Super science doesn't really run on magic or funny metaphysics in the setting.
user, there's no such thing as the Zeta Dimension or chronons in other jumps. There's no chemical that can make someone burn white hot without killing them.

So taking super devices makes these crazy dimensions and particles exist in all future jumps?

It makes your inventions operate as though they existed. Important difference.

So would being sufficiently smart let you work out tech that doesn't depend on the cosmology, or figure out tech that plugs into the weird dimensions of other settings? Or is that still Super science?