L5R General

Why does Veeky Forums hate L5R nowadays? We used to have generals ups everyday a few years back.

Other urls found in this thread:

challonge.com/irish_kotei
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why does Veeky Forums hate L5R nowadays?
It does not.

>We used to have generals ups everyday a few years back.
Pretty sure it died because of stagnation, though I didn't really visit it that much.

I love the setting, used to play the RPG a lot. Local group split up, couldn't find another group, so the game became irrelevant to me. Scene seems to have stagnated a lot.

The rpg is dead as fuck, and people here barely if even play the lcg (its pretty good)

We don't hate it.
It's presence on Veeky Forums comes and goes.

We had a bunch of general threads and a 20 some thread l5r storytime in 2017. But their were dry months in Veeky Forums in 2017 too when it comes to l5r.

On new years morning I ran into my first GM ever online after not seeing him around for over a year. I'm currently in an l5r game he's running as a late addition.

It's been a lot of fun so far. This group does side sessions far more than any I've ever played with and it's done a lot to offset the slow pace and character development that tends to come with text only games online.

Why did the internet hype completely die out when they started releasing the expansions?

They didn't evolve the setting in any significant way. Instead of, for example, having a Rokugan equivalent of Meiji-era industrialization and political changes, they were content of recycling same old ideas with some minor changes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the setting (especially the original Clan Coup era), but after over two decades of same lore, the card game, and a fuckton of RPG books over four editions, it doesn't seem that fresh and interesting anymore. Not much to talk about that hasn't been said or explored already.

I have zero interest in the FFG's take on the RPG. There are already more fluff and rulebooks (with a solid system) than I can ever use, so adding another iteration to the pile with the same old setting doesn't hold my interest.

Some hype died once FFG informed us that it would be a LCG as opposed to a CCG as the old one was. Even more hype died once the meta was figured out. Everybody plays crab, phoenix or lion while the rest of the clans suffer due to having few if any cards to combat the current optimal decklists. That being said, Scorpion did just win a tournament so it's not impossible to play as other clans, it's just not very fun for casual players. FFG is being too slow with their release of new packs, too.

Also you've got fags like me who aren't really keen on playing until they add Mantis

Because FFG seems to be actively trying to kill the game. They let internet SJWs kill a 20 year old tradition and threw out roll and keep in favor of gimmick dice and manbaby samurai.

She's cute.

The ridiculous amount of play-time is a factor too.

Have time for an hour minimum long single game? How about 2 of 3?

All of this. Any card game where you have to play past turn 4 is pretty shit.

I'm new to the LCG, did I fuck up buying into it?
I have approximately 0 interest in competitive play, but I don't really want to lose every game, either.

I thought phoenix, crane and unicorn looked pretty fun. Do they suck?

unicorn is

>the lion are op meme.
>he does not mention scorpion and dragon dumpstering everyone.
Bruh do you even play or are you stuck in the core environment. 3% cut rates are op now. Ignore all the top table scorpion.

Gonna have to explain that one to me.

What's wrong with them?

worst provinces, holdings, stronghold, dynasty deck, and conflict deck of any clan, by far. it's not that it has the worst sh and a decent dynasty deck, it's that individually, each single part of the deck is the worst of the clans. That being, said they could be competitive with the addition of 2-3 characters with good abilities and competitive statlines

there was a tradition at card game tournaments to chant before the tournament started to hype everyone up. the audience's part of the cheer was shouting banzai at the end of each line. some chink cried about nanking or something and ffg changed it to some gay chant bullshit.
in the old edition of the rpg, they system used d10's with a roll and keep system, you would roll x amount of d10s and could keep y of them, in the new edition ffg changed the dice to their special snowflake dice and threw out and the RnK system

Game is dead.
The LCG was poorly designed and fits better as a single release board game than a LCG.

Meta is stale and dumb, Marketing has dried up now that FFG is moving on to their next product.

Game is going to be Star Wars LCG level of dead before the end of the year.-

that's completely untrue. the core ruleset of the game is a fantastic concept and allows for more player choice than any other card game out there. The rules were poorly written but the core concepts are solid. The meta has also developed because all playtesting for the currently released packs was done all at once before release.
The issue is that there were 6 packs released pretty quickly after initial release and now waiting a couple months for the next release to come out feels super slow.
I play unicorn so believe me when I say i'm frustrated about the current state of the game but i feel like this has the potential to be the best and most balanced card game out there.
it is a sad thing in its current state but dont give up just yet

Whats to talk about that hasn't been done to death?

Card game is dead.

The beta for the role playing game is a gimicky piece of shit that requires custom dice or fuckery with people forgetting what symbol the 6 was suppose to be.

L5R doesn't have enough of a fan base to rage for half a year and come to terms like D&D, Shadowrun, or World of Darkness. Not enough people to have a critical mass of retards for that the people get angry yell a bit then move on.

>Start playing L5R when it first launches
>Stay with it through the WotC days up until the shipped it over to AEG
>AEG are fucking clown shoes, quit midway through Gold
>See FFG bought the game
>Vaguely hype
>Remember what a fiesta Netrunner ended up being
>Decide not to buy into L5R unless it's still going strong a year in
>mfw made the right call for once

To be fair to FFG, the chant was stupid as fuck.

There is nothing sadder than a bunch of fat nerds changing a war cry.

It was fun my dude. I mean you're already a bunch of fat nerds playing a card game about magical samurai, might as well embrace it.

The resource system is stale and boring. Blind bidding is silly and just leads to "MIND GAMES! LULZ" style play for casuals where there is always a best bid at higher levels of play.

The clans are bland and uninteresting, the devolved the game into compare numbers and bounce off each other.

It is a watered down modern Call of Duty version of Legend of the Five Rings.
The content flood at the start is the only reason anyone has cared about it this long.

Did you not hear. Social Justice has outlawed nerds having fun.

They sure try. I live in Seattle, and even here no one really cares about SJW shit. Sure you get the random group of fat women who sit around at Starbucks and exchange preferred pronouns, or the dude in a dress and lipstick with a full beard on the bus screaming about Trump but most folks ignore the crazies.

Nerds will keep on having fun, and the companies that pander to an insane minority with no actual interest in their products will lose some money over it and get their shit back on track.

>some chinese person
Don't be retarded
Pic related.

I am more interested in his Houses of the Blooded. Anybody ever play that, or wants to start a game?

Isn't there a new edition coming out soon?

In this case I think it was actually a ching chong chinaman. 99% of the time though that picture is perfect.

>Things that never happened

You think women in Starbucks have never talked about what pronouns they prefer? Where do you live so I can move there.

As others are saying, it's more apathy than hate. I was vaguely interested in the LCG release until I read the introductory fiction.

The LCG is good but its new and I figure it will take awhile for the conversation here to pick up.

The new RPG on the other hand has everyone sad and its dampened the desire to discuss.

Yes there is, also by FFG and they decided to make a system that is completly differnt than the previous. It ships with a real gimmicky roll custom dice and keep a few symbols and some weird bullshit with "strife" faces that are going to lead to old world of darkness bullshit of actually being horrendously incompetent as they get more skilled unless they have other ways to mitigated these strife symbols having to be kept especially considering they occupy half of one set or a quarter of the other. Which sounds good in theory but anyone who knows about those 1s piling up in old world of darkness will tell you it isn't as good.

Since everyone seems so doom and gloom on the new stuff, is it possible to play with the old stuff online somewhere?

I'm sorry you didn't realize that Netrunner Revised gutted l5r...

>that post!!!

are you me???

>started with Imperial-Shadowlands,
>1996
>have played to some extent ever since.

I have no idea what you've just said.

the old CCG? Sun and Moon works, though its a bit of a wasteland.

Because it's shit.

>everyone plays crab, phoenix, or lion
>phoenix
Have they even gotten someone as far as the top 8 in a tournament yet?

L5R LCG usually doesn't make it past turn 4, it's just that the turns take a long time each.

Yurt isn't bad, and they have a lot of solid cards in their conflict side. The problem is squarely on their dynasty deck and stronghold. Maybe they'll be fixed with the clan pack.

Yeah, 2 of the 8 players in the most recent tournament actually. challonge.com/irish_kotei

Well that's nice, I think that's their best showing so far isn't it?

excuse me, but what kind of insane asscrab are you that you can't enjoy a card game for more than 30 minutes???

you must be WAACtourneyshit.

It's literally exhausting to play a game you already know you're going to win for 2 hours. I can't imagine what it feels like for my opponent.

FFG games are always long games of "Wait to see who makes a mistake first"

How do you know you're already going to win?

Long game decks do very well in L5R, but they can lose early.

this

Maybe I'm playing L5R wrong or am bad at it but its rarely clear to me who is going to win until much later in the game, if at all.