What are some of the better non-standard DnD fantasy races...

What are some of the better non-standard DnD fantasy races? I'm looking for something outside the usual orc/elf/dwarf dynamics.

Other urls found in this thread:

lomion.de/cmm/tso.php
1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D&D_PC_Races
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what about a triton pally

I've always had a thing for insect people, mer-maids/mer-men and bird folk.

I know they're just human plus random animal, but since the guys i play with have had such little exposure to anything like it, I feel like i have more freedom to get creative or magic realm-y wierd.

Elementals, being gnomes, sylphs, salamanders, and undines. The best part is how malleable their definitions are. You could have a salamander that is a fire amphibian, dragonlike race, humans w/ fire stuff, fire w/ human stuff, or any other form. It's great.

That's a thicc sergal

Kender

inb4 someone posts their special snowflake homebrew race

>boy i'd hate to see original content in the thread for non-standard races!

>non-standard DnD races
"DnD races" is a complete list. OP asked for non-standard entries from it.

Would...would anyone mind if I post some ideas? I-I've been working on some for a weird-fantasy game...

Someone, somewhere, will always mind. But you can do it anyway.

Gnolls man, Gnolls.

Semi-nomadic tribes working as (bounty) hunters, scavengers, and mercenaries.

yellow mold bard

Aw, look at the happy little hellbeast.

Mmm, futas.

I love Gnolls but it depends on edition or setting, in some they're literal demonspawn and that makes it a bit hard to play one in a good campaign without going Drizzt. Not saying they can't be done well.

Yeah, that's true. Gnolls in my mind often take the place of Orcs in certain areas. The difference being that Gnolls evolved in the deserts and savannas rather than the Orc's plains, mountains, and forests.

Nah, Gnolls to me are anthropomorphized enough not to have that gay shit.

Okay, for reference I like the idea of Elans.

>Shards
>All across the world, in places where the ley lines of magic and power run deep, mana crystals form. And when a cluster grows large and powerful enough, they give birth to physical manifestations of themselves. These fully-born, immortal beings are called Shards, and they have existed since the beginning of time. While their kind hide amongst the other races as one of their own, Shards seek nothing more than to experience the world in all its glories, and defend it from conspiracies beyond this realm.

tl;dr immortal psychic crystals using a meat puppet as a body.

OP here. I like hoomebrew stuff, so long as they're stated for DnD.

I'm fond of the Tso, though they're a planar race:
lomion.de/cmm/tso.php

Firbolg

Golems.

I use Golems that are among the last remnants of a once powerful Gnomish coalition of city-states that excelled in magitech and enchanting. Since the Gnome's sudden extinction, all they had left behind were their city-states and dungeons left in great disrepair, with their slowly crumbling Golem protectors and servants still defending the empty halls, now from adventurers and grave robbers more so than invaders and spies.

However, some of them tend to gain some level of sentience over time, and end up wandering to distant lands, exceedingly curious of the world they never knew, or settling together in clumps in their master's ruins. They friendly to outsiders should they prove civil and keep their hands off that which was once their masters, keen on learning new information of the outside world. They're hardy and powerful, and though they can't exactly cast magic, they are proficient in using it to forge magitech armor, weapons, and firepower.

In addition, the Golems are actually powered by the souls of rebellious and criminal Gnomes, forced to toil for all eternity. As Gnomish society was most commonly that of a terribly intolerant, totalitarian dystonia, they were fairly high in number, though no official records of this are kept.

Well, it's not the most horrifying means of making a servitor race I've seen gnomes use.

Hobgoblins
Thri-Kreen
Centaurs
A bunch of skeletons/other undead raised from mass graves/awakened from some slumber a la necrons

If you want a complete list of everything that's been playable in one edition of D&D or another, from the elf-ogres to the swashbuckling wolf-people to the sapient crystalfolk to the sorcerous spiderwears and beyond, look here:

1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D&D_PC_Races

>If you want a complete list of everything that's been playable in one edition of D&D or another
I don't, but thanks. I'm more interested in people's personal choices for non-standard races, not a massive list of entries.

What look like tiny softly glowing stars are in fact a minuscule race of Fae known as "motes".
They are almost entirely nonphysical beings but are able to manipulate and form natural materials using magic.
Particularly industrious motes will sometimes form bodies that resemble a rough wooden or stone version of a humanoid race in their area or sometimes even a specific individual depending on the motes skill and control it from within to interact with the world as other creatures do.

Motes, even those within bodies cannot speak and always emit a soft glow, usually visible in their artificial bodies near where the heart would be, or the center of the forehead.
They tend to be very naive and trusting.

Mouse

This is Veeky Forums. Creativilty is not a traditional game, so people dragging out their shitty donut steels and faggy settings aren't wanted here.

Low-Mer "Mudskippers"
These Merfolk were born adapted for both land and sea, possessing nether the brilliant coloration or large winglike fins of the High-Mer they are looked down on as misfits and abominations in their own society; but they are highly valued by the humans among whom they tend to settle as they are considered good luck for any sea voyage to have (their track record of saving sailors from drowning corroborates this.) and have been colloquially named Mudskippers for their ability to traverse land and sea. (coincidentally this is also the origin of the ship term "skipper").

This is why. Awful

>arrow directly into shoulder pocket
>torn bicept
>seperate rotator cuff
>bone fragments in the joint
>can still hold a squirming babby
Fuckoff

Nah I thought it was pretty neat.

Do you angry cry when you watch action movies and the guy shrugs off hard hits and gun shots? You seem like you do.

nah man it's pretty good
It's pretty good, man

Thanks user and user, you guys are cool.

>schlocky action movies
Theyre schlock for a reason. Is the op image a screen grab from an 80's animation im unaware of?

>underfolk
>drow
>duergar
>deep gnomes

And then make it a fully underground campaign

Is it meant to be hyper-realistic, or is it clearly stylized?

Try to hold back the angry tears, user. There's no point getting upset.

The Luuge
>Appear as bipedal porpoises with a Beluga-Whale like 'lump' on head
>Resistant to blunt damage, weak against most magic, strong against cold damage but especially weak to shock damage.
>Large and strong, but not very dexterous
>Live in northern climates
>Society is divided into 3 castes; The Hunters, The Gathers, and the Spring Guards
>The castes live apart from each other as tribes, and are given full authority over their own land, but work together to support communal lodges and the nation as a whole
>Hunters live far north and hunt for mammoths near the coasts, kill yetis for their pelts, etc.
>Gatherers live in the green parts of the land and grow unpleasant but edible grasses
>Spring Guards live in the crags with secret magical Hurt-Springs.
>Young ones are raised in communal areas and are sent out to live with each tribe when their calling permits. Pure white Luuge are divided up among the tribal castes evenly, as they are the priests and are considered to have magic powers
>The "Hurt Spring" are magical waters boiling up from the earth that cause serious damage to any entity that touches it. Even a splash of it hurts like a sword blow; drinking it or swimming in it takes years off your life
>Luuge are resistant to the effects, and most Luuge who leave the tribes carry a vial of the water to pour down the throat of their most hated enemy

Hope you like it, OP.

what the fuck

How would Shark people even work?

so in my setting there is a grove of these sentient trees cared for by a large religious order(there are exceptions though rare) who have the ability to have their seeds planted into a dead humanoid to inhabit and walk the earth.once more. the trees live extremely long lives(way longer than real life trees) and while not in a body exist in this dream like state where they can sorta perceive the passage of time and the things around them while the most astute have the ability to perceive normally. sometimes to the dismay of many they will drift off into eternal sleep where they become basic ass trees with no way to rouse them and then they die within 100 years. the ritual to make a new tree which is quite rare involves planting the seed of a dormant and dying tree into a living hero of the order where it will grow within him and when he dies it will take root wherever he is with his soul within, hopefully to be recovered by the order.

that's a cool ass idea user

Keith Baker's blog really makes me want to play some more exotic races on Eberron.

Thanks for posting the list, interesting reference material.

>monster girl wiki

Thought that being said, Jellyfish drider vs Starfish centaur is a match I'd pay huge money for.

My setting has various planetouched, excluding elemental and the rest are either normal humans, human sized insect/crab people or non-reincarnated shadow people with no memories.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Turns out, there really IS a reason why gnomish businessmen all have half-ogre bodyguards.

I bet gnomes did this.

This is pretty neat.

You posted this trash bait in wbg too. No one cares about your autistic hatred.

They'd be hunters of some form, and probably coastal based.

Not furry enough

Now I'm thinking of an underwater setting where all the races are some sort of sea-creature, shark people, crab people, a tauric octopus thing with a human upper body, and tentacles for legs. Some sort of fishman as the setting human equivalent. Giant intelligent starfish, that kind of thing.