How do you properly portray victims of rape especially those whose first sexual encounter was rape properly without...

How do you properly portray victims of rape especially those whose first sexual encounter was rape properly without making them man haters or emotional wrecks?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/45958331
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Girl: "Hey, I got raped but I'm not a man hater or an emotional wreck"
>Guy: "Okay"

You don't. It just invites monsters to rape you.

Uncomfortable with physical contact. Uncomfortable being alone with a single other individual. But "uncomfortable" does not necessarily have to mean "uncontrollable crying" or "PTSD flashbacks."

Remember, men can be, have been, and are being anal raped. It's not just roasties.

Only acceptable in magical realm campaigns where the enemies rape you when they beat you. Anything else is a poor attempt at adding cliche melodrama instead of coming up with something original for a character to be haunted by, if it's a campaign dark enough you should even be going for something like that at all.

Gutsu. That's how you do the of rape properly.

Am married to someone that was; basically normal but early in our relationship when we were still getting acquainted she'd occasionally freeze up or have a mild anxiety attack if a sex act suddenly reminded her something that happened in the incident. Declined in frequeny to zero after a few months of getting comfortable with each other and her deciding to try initiating the triggering sex acts when she felt secure, eventually building different associations. Most other folks I've know with similar backgrounds of abuse are pretty ordinary outside of very specific circumstances or sensations that remind them of bad memories.

Honestly though, it's going to be minefield to portray without coming off as a bad cliche or edgy.

I think this kinda nails it on the head, they don't have to be angsty as fuck, or super man haters, but they can certainly be played as generally being very uncomfortable around people of the same gender, or who remind them of their attackers.

Real Talk: They would probably fuck little boys or girls. Throughout history young men were molested by warriors, knights, mentors, peers, etc. and basically just accept it as part of the social fabric and do it themselves later.

That's a fucked up but interesting part of it's role in society, it becomes a 'constructive' part of bonding the young to their elders in a lot of cultures.

Pretty much this. It can also be biased or gendered for example. A woman raped by a man might not have any trouble being alone with a woman or little boy but might be uncomfortable being alone with a man or just being with a group of men. But it doesn't mean they hate men or go into a panic attack, they simply feel uneasy, might seem overly alert or skittish.

>only men can get raped

I gotta ask, why?

The whole concept seems pretty bad.

You don't, adding a rape backstory is pointless drama, if it effects how the character acts than it will quickly just end up annoying every other player.

Seconded. Is this a necessary thing in your game OP?

>rape
How trite.

You could probably run it as a plain stoic with trust issues.

Depends on the rape.

How normal is rape in the setting?
If there's a decent chance of it happening to anybody, odds are people will be more resilient to it both because of it being normalized, and because the raped have a far larger and less stigmatized group to be a part of.

Cool

>man haters or emotional wrecks
99% of women in general are at least one of those though.

>he married spoiled goods

we're hitting magical realm levels that shouldn't be even possible

Well yeah, it's a fact that constantly reinforcing victimhood builds an easily triggered victim mentality. It's the same for crack babies, more damage is done by people acting weird around them and constantly telling them that they're damaged and/or broken than the actual bad thing that happened.

They're men

Read Berserk.

Is that invinsible?

Invincible, but yes.

Nails it.

Why does that image look familiar?

>Those Clarissa pics

if you do not want to affect the character's behavior or mental state ... why use it?

Depends on who the rapist was. If it was a specific type of monster, unrelenting hate and sadism towards those monsters, maybe even demanding one be brought back so they can watch it die.

If it was somebody close to them, Id think it would manifest as blanket distrust and possibly a flawed understanding of closeness.

Really depends.
I've known a few people in person or with freinds who were raped.
Some are perfectly adjusted and cope with jokes.
Some although not man haters have lost all interest in sex and dateing.
Some flip around and become hyper sexuall and dominant as a way to reclaim the control they lost that day.
But this user got it right
Most of the time rape victims just end up nervous alone with people, and unable to connect physicaly.

>>Those Clarissa pics

wut??

not everyone becomes a little bitch after getting raped, why do women have to get so fucking buttblasted about it

It’s a comic but a dad who diddled her daughter. There’s no joke in it, it’s just a depressing.
vimeo.com/45958331

Used goods are shi-

With tentacles.

What’s the OP image from?

>How do you properly portray victims of rape especially those whose first sexual encounter was rape properly without making them man haters or emotional wrecks?
By raping everyone at the table.

You know what they say: write what you know.

statutory rape, "victim" didn't exactly hate it, even though what happened was no doubt illegal

Unlike the rest of Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums isn't used by children

>triggering
So you are saying she felt bad after her first sexual encounter and decided to call it rape and now she has "PTSD" than when she gets "triggered".

Wow what a novel and totally believable story written by someone who read on reddit how PTSD works.

Just like any traumatic experience, there's no single set response.

I used to work with a charity that helped sexual abuse victims and I've seen the entire gambit of symptoms, from the man-hating screaming if one enters the room, to the ones who can now only get off by being abused

But has a decent idea

>statutory rape
That's rape I can get behind

>I got raped but I'm not an emotional wreck
Good luck with that, user.

sincerely kill yourself.
or do your homework. whichever will disappoint your family less.

>>mutual statutory rape

Go read Otome Sensou.

What a charming human bean.

Oh yeah motherfucker, I love that ma-
>mfw I was thinking about Saotome Senshu
Close enough.

I was as a kid. People treating me differently afterwards did more damage than actually being made to suck a 6th year student's dick.

user, I...

They get empowered by it.

is this loss?

this also works

The problem is not everyone turns out the same after a rape. That being said, society kinda EXPECTS you to be an emotional wreck or they assume you weren't actually raped.

Playing a game based in rape? For fun? You have some mental problems OP.

That psycho fallen angel deserved to die.

>I am human garbage with no sense of empathy or understanding of trauma

>I hate women.

Good to know.

Bravo!
*claps*

Here's more appropriate ShindoL for this thread.

What a cute girl. Falling asleep with your glasses on is a bad idea though, and sleeping without pajamas increases the chances she'll catch a cold. Let's hope she doesn't get sick when she goes to school tomorrow. The Japanese Cold is pretty fierce.

Pull a Ground Zeroes:

>[Skull Face] forced Chico into Paz's cell and asked him whether he "found her sweet or sour."

>Chico was then tasked to have sex with Paz or else he'd be "strung up next."

>Paz herself encouraged him to do the former knowing there was no way around it, saying that she knew he wouldn't hurt her.

>The Japanese Cold is pretty fierce.

Never accept any cookies made by that chick.

>he doesn't want love-infused cookies
don't be a gay

They're not supposed to be as salty as a DotA match.

hardtack, the undisputed king of cookies, contains one unit of salt for every twenty units of concrete

How many parts weevil is in it?

the rest

Just make them normal people but have them be really uncomfortable about certain types of touch, a particular smell, darkness, sweating, whatever triggers uncomfortable memories.

Wow dude you're so edgy and dark and badass really trolled all us libtards you must be so hardcore and popular irl

Playing a game based in violence? For fun? You have some mental problems.
Playing a game based in conflict and disagreement? For fun? You have some mental problems.
Playing a game that isn't just hugs and rainbows all around and tries to tackle more mature themes? For fun? You have some mental problems.

Men don't make "I was raped" into their entire identity afterwards. Women tend to do that.

They kind of do, just in different way. Former victim has much higher chance to become perpetrator later in life than average citizen. It's like goddamn werewolves!

Okay. This is going to be long because I need to explain a lot of shit.

First you need to understand trauma. Whether it comes from sexual assault, seeing a man get his intestines spilled out on a battlefield, or being locked in a closet and starved for days on end as a child the human mind reacts pretty much the same way to all of it. It breaks. It's like an alergic reaction. The things your body does when it's in panic mode, the boosted adrenaline, the fight or flight instinct, all that shit goes haywire, like an allergic reaction. Your body is trying to do the things it does to fight this or that threat, but it's OVER REACTING.

When a person has been traumatized there is something out there that will remind them of the trauma. And they will flip the fuck out. As an example I'll use myself. My mother passed away unexpetedly and I'm the one who found her. I always have an impulse to shake sleeping people awake now. Sometimes the things that make you flip out don't even make any god damn sense. First time I was triggered after her passing was by a god damn cheese danish. I was grocery shopping, and I heard her voice getting excited that I bought a sweet for us to share. And yes, that's the word for it: Triggers, triggered. I know, I know.

Now comes the part where I have to deal with modern misunderstandings of valid concepts.

Understand this. When you hear people say you never get over a trauma, it's TRUE. What you CAN do, is learn what it is that triggers you. You can learn how YOU react to being triggered. Like say the pattern of a crack on the wall triggers you because it looks like the ceiling you were staring at while you were being raped. You start having flashbacks to the event.

Then, you figure out how to deal with it when it happens. Continuing the previous example, when having a flashback you force to focus intently on one thing. Grab the back of a chair, and tell yourself you are holding a chair, not lying on your back with a strangers dick inside you.

THAT is how you "heal" from trauma. You learn to deal with it. Like an amputee learning to use their prosthetic. The concept of safe spaces came into being for Group Therapy sessions, where you can meet other people who have been where you are now and see that there is hope for taking back controll of your life. Trigger Warnings came about when it was realized that the anonymity the internet provides helps people open up more than they would in face to face group sessions, but since your navigating the thereapy on your own, TW's warn away people who aren't ready to face this or that thing, YET.

Ahem. Got off an a tangent there.

Anywhoo. The tl;dr, and answer to your question, is to protray a character who already has a good grasp of their triggers and how to manage them. Once the character trusts the others enough to open up a little, have them get triggered, then deal with it and move on. The converstaion will start with simple questions like "are you ok?" or "what was that?"

In other words: Be breif, be subtle. Don't drop it like an anvil on Wyle E. Coyote.

PTSD, do some research you dip and you'd be able to figure this out pretty easily.

>human mind reacts pretty much the same way to all of it. It breaks.
Not necessary right away though, sometimes people can suppress it at first and the haywire reaction happens after considerable delay.

Abhärtung helps, face your fears, face your triggers, little by little immunize yourself to them.

Oh and never tell people what your phobia is, because they will:
a) try to flip it because they think it's funny
b) get overprotective
c) loathe you because certain people give this kind of stuff bad name lately

>Whether it comes from sexual assault, seeing a man get his intestines spilled out on a battlefield, or being locked in a closet and starved for days on end as a child the human mind reacts pretty much the same way to all of it.
Wrong from the very first fucking sentence. The human brain handles sex completely differently to the way it handles violence. This is why you almost never hear of people getting mental trauma from being in a bar room brawl. Don't talk shit about things you know nothing about.

>equating a fist fight that ends in bruises and a few broken bones with war.

You must be a special kind of stupid.

>Equating being raped with seeing your friend's guts strewn all over a battlefield.

Isn't that possible if you're both drunk to the point where you can't meaningfully give consent?

I honestly don't know how objective justice would cut that one.

>>Paz herself encouraged him to do the former knowing there was no way around it, saying that she knew he wouldn't hurt her.
Okay I'm going to admit I laughed at the idea of this being a small penis joke. But yeah, Ground Zeroes gave Paz and Chico a shit-covered spiked dildo.

Rape is violence that has sex attached, or sex that has violence attached. If anything, it should be doubly fucked up for fucking up two different parts of the brain.

>the fight or flight instinct
It must be noted that these are only 2 of the 5 reactions this instinct operates. Fight, Flight, Freeze, Friend, Flop. Men generally operate on Fight or Flight, while Women operate under Freeze or Friend.

Which is why "she didn't say no" and "she didn't resist" are bad defenses, because she may have simply been locked up into non-resistance by her fear response.

Rape is using someone for sexual gratification against their will. It doesn't need to involve violence.

>against their will
Forcing someone to do something they don't want to do pretty much always requires violence of some kind. It doesn't have to be beating them half to death, but it's not exactly a loving caress.

That's because of social norms for both men and women. Women in general are more free (and encouraged) to talk (and whine) about their emotions, to seek support, and to be weak in any way. Men on the other hand, just have to suck it up. Its not good for either gender.

There's always the tiny blue pills.

You have obviously managed to read a book. But only one book, and not a particularily good one.

>molested

Sexual intimacy becomes difficult and taxing upon a relationship.