PC Suicide Stories

Have players in your group committed in-game suicide? How did others at the table respond?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Suicide
A character broke the fourth wall and challenged the DM once

>Playing with GM who is a That GM and also a That Guy in our actual campaign
>One shot is on an unexplored island
>Suddenly no magic works at all, enemies still have magic though
>Railroaded the entire time
>Toward the end of the night, wizard has had enough
>Has her construct thrust her dagger through her heart

I've told the story in full before, but I ran a game once where 3 of the 4 party members committed suicide after walking into a blatantly obvious bandit ambush and having their pocket change stolen and their ammunition destroyed but not actually suffering bodily harm or having any of their other equipment taken.

>See, this way, we can roll up new characters with a full set of gear.

Ok, heres story
>Friend begins DMing for the first time
>played for 3 years. Never DMed
>invites mostly newbies to the game
>I, being the most experienced, join to help the Newbies and DM
>One fucking newbie
>Is a that guy murderhobo.
>after getting bored with his first character, he plays a min/maxed Chaotic Evil Rogue with Hexblade dip
>Fucking hell, hes already Kyle
>Im playing a sort-of min/max Paladin/bard.
>You know, so that if DM or players fuck up, i can be the Mary-Sue and fix shit.
>Usually stay in the background, never really take the spotlight. Let other players do cool shit
>Then Kyles character An Heroes and he rolls up his roguelock
>Starts doing that-guy shit
>im gone for two sessions
>Kyle ruined our mission to kill BBEG and Get the McGuffin, killed 2 PCs, and was pissing off the DM
>I come back
>I come in and Kyle tries to kill our Cleric
>I walk up to kyle, Divine Smite, and One-Shot his shitty glass cannon.
>Kyle freaks out at the table
>In that moment, DM lists off all the gay shit Kyle committed, how he could fix it, and tells him to leave the table
>We sit down, and the game goes smoothly until last second when DM rushed ending of campaign.
>In order to defeat a min/maxed Kyle, you must become a min/maxer yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

My character almost did and has it as an option:

>be Shadowrunner
>nova-hot social adept elf drake artificially created by MCT
>MCT wants their shit back
>avoid MCT
>dragons want me
>avoid dragons
>have two sisters
>we can raise background count by singing in a trio, with theoretically no upper ceiling
>sisters get kidnapped by MCT
>get noticed by shasta shaman in the Tir
>"excuse me miss shaman, could you not tell your mistress about me?"
>get decked in the face, shaman runs off
>consider eating barrel of machine pistol
>stopped by the fact that MCT has sisters
>hestaby slaps a leash on me via ritual samples
>get one of my teeth replaced with a cyanide capsule
>get one of my drake teeth replaced with a cyanide capsule
>figure if MCT captures me, would rather die and not let them have us

Are we just talking classical suicide or do we also count figurative suicide like suicide by guards/orcs/dragon/whatever other obviously overwhelming force and Darwin awards or suicide by committing to incredibly stupid dangerous ideas that were bound for failure?

>Breaking the fourth wall
>Challenging the DM
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Not darwin awards, though it can be suicide by monster.
The player had to know that they would die, not be in a position where it was a sacrifice for the greater good, not have a longer plan, and know enough of the current situation to know that they were just dying.

You just wanted an excuse to post an image from the latest under five nights in the woods tale

One of my players showed up without his fursuit one week and I guess we bullied him too hard cause he parked his car in front of a train later that night
I really feel bad about that

TOP KEK

My wizard hung himself to see if his immortality stone was working. Thank god it was, because that would have been a shitty way to go.

Not even gonna deny that.

THERE ARE EASIER WAYS TO TEST THE STONE GODDAMN!

I tried on two separate occasions to have my Champion 2Hand Fighter to kill himself in the most Noble way possible. First time was when we ran into our first dragon and it nearly TPK'd the party on it's breath attack. I told the party to run and that I would hold it back. They stayed and we eventually killed it.

Second time, our base was invaded by the Cult of Dragons or whatever and I challenged their General in single combat to get them to leave (at this point I was already low on HP and thought it'd be a good way to go). Ended up landing 2 crits back to back for a 3 hit turn and basically 2 turned the boss.

Character still lives.

There was one time. My Deathwatch group's Librarian had been tired of the GM's combat-heavy, linear running style packed with vidya references and with forcefields on more enemies than not for a while now, and at odds with the Assault Marine besides. Eventually, in a particularly linear mission with hordes of malfunctioning archaeotech nanodrones we were expected to just run from instead of trying to wipe them out, he manifestated Hellfire, a Dark Angels psychic power, and rather than take tactical advice on where to put it for maximum destruction of the foe, he chose to Push the power to catch the Space Wolf in the radius.
He passed his roll, and the power manifested, but he'd rolled doubles, triggering a second Psychic Phenomena in addition to the automatic one from Pushing.
The first one was rolled... Perils. It ended up stunning him for several rounds, and then, surprising everyone, he decided it made sense for his character to fall prone.
He was standing on a thin metal walkway.
As the player narrated his Librarian's collapse off the railings and into the molten metal thirty meters below, the rest of us watched silently for a moment.
Then he rolled his remaining Psychic Phenomena and scored Mind Worm, causing all in the vicinity to forget what just happened, and then promptly left the campaign.

To the three surviving Battle-Brothers of the Kill-Team, it seemed as though a great burst of flame engulfed the mechanical hordes for a moment, searing off the Space Wolf's leg as his jump pack tore him from its grasp and landed him skidding on the walkways. Our auxilaries were less fortunate, as flak armour and mortal flesh are no match for warpfire, and we lost many brave soldiers of the Emperor to... we weren't sure. Had there always been three of us?

Audible laughter

I got bored with my pathfinder character and ended up having her shoot herself in the woods. It kinda annoyed two of the other players in my group but not much I can change about it now.

One technically did by holding off an advancing horde of mindflayers and their minions. In all honesty the player didn't like the way he had filled out the character and the class he picked. So I gave him a final stand next to a dwarf cleric as the party escaped from undergro ruins. The last they saw of him was flashes of light as he and the cleric struck down as many as they could while a failsafe collapse spell sealed off the tunnel behind the group.

It wasn't the party but my PC accepted death and sped it up.
>Splinter group attacked by a dragon on the way to another PC's wedding
>Dragon was infected by a lich and spewed goo all over my character
>Fast forward about a week when party is sent to a tournament being held by the Lich
>Party makes it to final round which is to fight the Lich himself
> 3 people die by a Banshee scream, 1 is alone trying to break phylactery. My char is the only survivor of the banshee scream itself
>2 PCs teleport out together, I take my turn to go sit next to a pillar while the Lich went for the last person, who ended up teleporting himself
>I'm left alone and the Lich comes and sees I've been marked and says I'm not long for the world
>Dwarf looks up to the lich, tired and asks "Got a job offer? I'd likely accept it."
>Proceed to become a Wight Lord and lead a zombie invasion of a city of 5 million which left 2 million dead.
It was actually a campaign that had consequences where the PCs failed and I enjoyed being apart of the winning side in the end.

Never a depression based suicide, but one of my pcs sacrificed themselves to defeat the big bad of the game.

The tsochar are a race of body invading aberrations. They slide into your body and inhabit the interstitial parts of your flesh, and they control you through pain and magic. My gunslinger was in the process of being invaded, so she ate her own gun.

The other players had no qualms about it. Most of them would have done similar.

we play the World of Darkness, mostly Vampire

Suicide is a daily option to all problems.

I run a game called Agone. A game of "Baroque Fantasy." a strong theme in this game is decay, despair, but also lost beauty and hidden wonder. it is extremely difficult to die in this game, and normally such things do not happen, as the players are heroes wielding the powers of the gods.

one of the fixtures of this world is The Black Caravan, a physical manifestation of the world's god of chaos (the mask). The largest trailer of the caravan is his personal trailer. Inside it is a maze of doors and corridors in which puppets who's strings stretch to the dark impossible to see ceiling. The rooms change depending on how many times one knocks on the doors. However, if one does not knock on a door, they die instantly because in the house of the Master of Drama "One must be polite."

long story short, the party had to enter to stop a satyr from being stupid and stealing a really powerful corrupting evil relic.

Upon entering one of the puppet "butlers" made sure they were all aware of the rules of being a "Guest" in the masks home.

After willfully deciding to SPLIT OFF FROM THE PARTY the character in question went off with his character's husband and started exploring the rooms.

After managing to get to the second floor... he just decides to open a door without knocking. I give him the "are you really going to be that stupid?" look and he says "yes, I open the door without knocking." so he opens the door and dies. then his husband follows suit.

the players later go back, and tell his character's brother "oh, by the way, your brother and his husband died" no, I'm not exaggerating how blunt they were... later that day, they found the character's brother hanging in the library...

This certainly set the tone much darker than I had intended...

Was running a wartime game once and the party were a team of smugglers trying to get all kinds of shit over the boarder, lots of run-ins with criminal organisations and the such.
Tensions had been slowly building over the course of the campaign because the characters all disagreed on who to support in the war if it ever came up, because they all agreed they didn't want to ignore it forever while it tore up the landscape. One of them eventually made the decision to go and join up with one of the factions and act as a smuggler for them specifically.

The party didn't like this. They offered to keep her around, but one of them became a lot more hostile to her, one refused to talk to her, and the other 2 were mostly fine. Cut to a few weeks later and she's abandoned the party to go join up with the army she supported, leaving a note that just read "I'm sorry" over and over again.
Got tracked down by a patrol of that faction a few months later carrying a small bundle that contained what little belongings she had, and the official condolences of the faction. She'd gone to war to commit suicide as it turned out because the party were pretty much the only people she had in the world, so feeling they were all either angry, upset or disappointed with her she picked up a gun and went to get herself shot.

In a Gundam game I played in once, I turned off the failsafe on my nuclear reactor rather than let the Space Chinese capture me.

True if big

>be wizard
>scan room for magic traps
>GM: "It's full of traps"
>Me: "It's full of traps, let's not go in"
>Rogue: "I walk right in there"
>[Rogue dies within several rounds]

I count it as a suicide

Any player suicide stories?

I mean... sort of. I once ran a horror one shot with heavy time-space fuckery going on and one of the PCs unknowingly shot himself from near(about 15 minutes) future. It wasn't preplanned or anything, I honestly didn't expect that he would shoot, but I'm glad that it happened, since, well, it's pretty awesome

>without

Fukken kyle

Fun

Mentioned it before, but I had one guy who was completely and utterly terrified of his characters coming to any harm, and played them all as complete cowards who fled the second combat started, and if fleeing was impossible he'd just huddle up in the corner and skip his turn until it was over.

Regardless of their backstories, they acted the same: self-styled smooth-talkers(who were usually fucking awful at smooth-talking) who were complete cowards when faced with any real danger. His last one being a military veteran who, in his own words, "won hundreds of wars single-handedly with his bravery and heroics." That eventually got toned down to "fought in 2 wars and was part of key victories in them" because it's fucking level 1.

Cue actual combat and his brave heroic war veteran runs into the corner and cowers in fear from 4 Kobolds armed with sharp sticks and a slingshot.

Got sick of this later on and had a bandit shoot an arrow at him to get him to do something for once, rolled low for about 2-3 damage. He immediately has his character slit his own throat, tears up his character sheet, and goes on a tirade about me being a killer DM who has it out for him.

And then spent the rest of the night sulking and trying to convince the rest of the group I was a KIller DM who's just waiting for an excuse to Rocks Fall the party any second now "like I did him." All this over 2 damage, not even a tenth of his max HP, when others have taken several times more and been fine.

Needless to say, he wasn't invited back after that outburst. He's tried to get back in a few times, but we quickly filled his spot with someone who actually plays, so good end for everyone involved.

Sure
>meet up with friends from elementary after years of high school and college
>two of them stayed behind
>two others had been doing other stuff elsewhere, like me
>we now live in the same state, so doing something every month seems plausible
>decide on dnd, we all know a little bit about it
>one of the guys who is now a smith tells me that he was going to kill himself before I asked everybody to meet up again
>he had attempted suicide once but got saved when his gf found him
>he feels better now, didn't really have any friends

My magical boy in this meguka themed game I'm playing in has actually tried to kill himself multiple times. The first time failed because he doesn't know what the fuck a grip safety is, so the gun just went click when he pulled the trigger. The later attempts all failed cuz after he blacked out the Tuxedo Mask expy saved his stupid ass.

It must have sucked to deal with this actually real person.

Well, he's not in our group anymore for a reason.

no, but like, literally everyone in my D&D group is some form of depressed so I'll probably get back to you on that in a week or two.

>2e
>Wanted to make a "sword saint" style fighter class.
>Dungeon involved a lot of running room to room without fighting anything.
>We pass an open courtyard where two groups are fighting
>Obvious boss character is there, obvious
>I have a suit of plate on and a suit of chain +1 in my pack
>Hand my pack to the ranger as he is "good" aligned
>Tell him to hold this for my brother who will be along soon
>Tell him I will cover our retreat
>Break through the enemy line and fight the boss solo
>Mainly just parrying until I burn out
>Party gets away
>I roll a cleric with high wisdom

That's not a suicide story...

I was once part of a roleplaying forum. It was a mess, but somehow, we managed to work out a series of fantastical stories about multiple realms clashing onto each other, to the point where a gorilla in a suit throwing C4s at a killer robot was a common occurrance.
Anyways, enter Tard. Tard was a bland player who had little to no imagination. All ideas were drawn from the most common denominator known to man, to the point where he had 5 Merlins that had the same personality. I'm pretty sure he had autism becouse he just couldn't function around people. His was a realm of a temple of unknown size becouse he was too busy describing the hat of the 5th mage.
Anyways, one of the players decided to make another game. But when Tard wanted to join the cool kids club, my GM gave him a speech.
There are many ways to crush a player spirit: you can kill a character in the most humilliating way, you can rape them, you can even torture them for a thousand years, or you can attack the source of the problem and call the player a dumbass. But my GM went further.
He called Tard an incompetent dickhead with a poor grasp of fiction and literature, and then he gave Tard a "feedback" on his work, which was like a forensic analysis becouse each and every one of the Merlins were stripped to the bone. Thus, the player, the characters and ideas were torn apart. It was like seeing a deer get mauled alive by a old lion.
After that, Tard dissapeared. At first, we weren't too worried about him. Players come and go after all. But when he stopped logging in steam, we knew something was up and eventually we recieved the news from a member of his family who was checking his computer: Tard got really depressed and his metal condition didn't help. By the time he decided to off himself, he had lost a lot of weight and wrote around 76 character docs.
Don't be a dick to all players. Some people just suck roleplaying, but if you have a chance to help them improve, do so.

One of my players committed irl suicide does that count

Well that's debatable.

I can't feel bad for anyone who kills themselves over a roleplaying game.

That never happened.

And even if it did, a tard killed himself because he couldn't handle the real world. Oh well. Survival of the fittest.

tell the story

I had one of my shadowrun players feel that they RPd their character into a inescapable corner, so they tossed themself out of a helicopter in flight.

Didn't even say anything to me about it as player/gm discussion.

Oh shit, I didn't even see that when I read it. Jesus Christ.

>start a new 5e game, level 5 characters
>dungeon crawling-focused
>Mikey makes a barbarian/druid hybrid, for shenanigans
>enter the tomb of evilness to stop the necromancer
>fight through various undead and swindle a giant
>get to a cylindrical chamber with a long and winding path down to the floor
>flaming skulls float up
>barbearian assumes these are the mini-boss and tackles one
>down seven stories
>squishes it and tanks the damage, then meets the actual boss monster
>we can't get down there in any reasonable time
>he gets pasted

It was a pretty metal way to kill himself though.

I did once. .
>Pathfinder
>Start out as mercs because of course we do
>My PC becomes a landed noble
>Friction between him and the rest of the nobility because of his low birth
>Lead revolution to start a glorious benevolent dictatorship
>Rule well, takes lands and treats subjects fairly
>Marries the Elf Queen and brings the pointy eared shits into the Empire
>The kingdom prospers into an Empire as other kingdoms are brought in by diplomacy or force
>becomes the dominant power in Avistan
>Only the Keleshi Empire poses a real threat
>War grinds to a stalemate, WW1 style baby
>PC makes a deal with a being beyond comprehension
>dunfuckedup.jpeg
>Win the war
>even more wealth
>nations bow to the Hegemony
>Being decides it's time to collect
>"PC, I have given you everything, now give me something of equal value"
>wat
>"Your daughter"
>He loves his daughter more than anything in the world
>tells elder thing to fuck off
>an even worse idea
>noises from her room
>PC and Elvish queen rush inside, daughter has been turned inside out, still alive
>he has to put her out of her misery
> his queen, the love of his life, dies of a broken heart
>Empire begins to crumble from a combination of poor management from a depressed PC and more Elder fuckery
>lose territory
>insurrection
>rebellion
>famine
>plague
>PC realizes what he had done
>Challenges the Elder thing to combat, he knows he'll lose but he'll go down fighting
>It doesn't show.
>He looks at the graves of his Empress and daughter
>takes a dagger to his wrist to be with them again.

tl;dr don't make deals with incomprehensible elder entities.

>running first campaign ever
>5e + ad&d + some homebrew
>group of level 1 adventurers doing their thing
>group cleric slowly forming his own religious ideals
>few sessions in they run into a 'hard' boss
>group cleric asks to channel all daily uses of divinity
>decides to throw his body at the boss and explode
>snackbar martyrdoms
>boss is only bloodied
>player shrugs it off and grabs a piece of paper to make a new character
>the rest of the party is both shocked and laughing about it
it was a great character development that forced him into basically becoming jesus for his new religion

>without

The only way to uphold a changeling contract was to break the contract and attack another player who was about to do a conscious mistake.

Kinda caused my character's own death, but it already was the last session of the campaign and he was building a death wish.

Damn I liked that game.

Not suicide, but my entire gaming group other than myself died in a car accident on the way home from session once.

BRUTAL

>playing DnD in high school, new to school so these were my fucking boys
>player gets a little distant, impatient
>ask him if he's okay, he says yeah
>weird vibe
>didn't think anything of it
>We finish, Im standing alone with him
>ask him if he's okay
>"yeah I'll be fine don't worry about it"
>I felt really sketched out but didn't know what else to do so I just said okay and told him to take care
>thanksgiving break
>Dont hear from him
>hear on the news the day we go back to school that he's missing
>that Thursday they find his body and a handgun
>they bury him with his dice and his books

I'd actually planned it out with the GM, it was the end of the campaign and I wanted the Empire we'd built to go out with a bang.

We'd mismanaged pretty hard already, this just sped it up so that instead of it taking months of sessions to fall apart we got it done in two really dramatic ones.