/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

We Cyberpunk soon(tm)

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

wargamevault.com/product/221425/Palaeo-Diet-Eat-or-Be-Eaten
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55680317/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous thread

Why do therr have to be so many good games that fall into /awg/? I only have so much room on my paint table.

Damn.

And just to give it a plug, there's about 18 hours left in the Heavy Gear Utopia Kickstarter. They're $2,000 away from their goal. Now's the chance if you want some Armigers!

Anyone try Deep Wars? I have never seen anyone talk about it, but the concept of Deep Sea miniatures game is really cool.

In a platoon sized skirmish game, where players alternate activating units, which would you rather see: more small sized units, or fewer larger sized units?

For example, would you rather have 4 6-man or equivalent sized units (equivalent being things like larger models like ogres or cavalry "counting" as multiple models), or 6 4-man units? Not exactly those sizes, but it was a nice number to use to show my example.

Either / or depending on faction.

Man I love those models.

It really depends. Give people the option. In Warzone a basic sauad is usually 5 atrong, but nost of the basic trooper squads can be upped to 10 guys. So you can run multiple smaller units, or you can have a big tarpit if you so choose.

Of course. This more of an average size thing. Personally, I'm mostly trying to focus on more or less per unit to even point costs than straight 'cheaper = more units'. There will be some of it, can't avoid it completely. But for some things, like cheap zombies, units would be larger as well as cheaper.

I have to be a little careful with that, though, since the math works with unit size. The difference isn't huge, since there should be an inherent point where gains don't outweigh the input that is equal~ with either set up, but variable unit sizes might fuck with it.

The system is similar to Warmahordes combined attacks, but with a hard limit point. Unlike Warmahordes, where more power means more potential damage, I'm working with a limit on damage. Grouped attacks mean easier to damage, but the same as an ungrouped.

more units (esp with alternating activating) helps mitigate going first being stronger and it generally rewards crisis management as well as strategy in general.

More smaller units for sure is better.

I was spacing out today and suddenly thought that the guild ball engine could make a pretty good professional wrestling game. The playbooks would let you damage your opponent, knock them down, push them (irish whip?), build up momentum for bigger moves, whatever. You could have multiple wrestlers for tag matches or handicap matches. You could add in degrading stats like 40k now has on bigger models to encourage damage results.
Maybe a deck style system like shadespire with special schemes and tricks or spots to aim for to get victory points. Heels could go for low blows or use weapons but this would cause the fans to turn on you, loss of vp or something.
With different turn limits to simulate match length it could push players to play differently with the same wrestlers, go for quick damage or big spots or something.
I'm feeling motivated to try to scratch something out along these lines.

>Bretonnian
Best errant modes ever. Have a bunch of them on my shelf, should paint them soon-ish.

Firelock Games just shared all the new units from the No Peace Beyond the Line expansion for Blood & Plunder. Does it qualify as /awg/ or would we think more of /hwg/ for that one? Because I'll dump the new units if people are interested.

Is say it’s enough of a case that if it fuels the thread, it’s welcome

Dump away.

As you wish!

Also I apologize if they're a bit small.

Has anyone here played Blood and Plunder?

Nice, I think I will get the Spanish, how expensive are they for a Yuropean?

Two levels down is the usual rule of thumb, so a platoon made of squads made of teams.

No idea on prices in Europe, sadly.

I've debating grabbing the Spanish and French and doing demos, but I just don't have the time.

This also works out nicely for giving you an appropriate number of units - probably around 8-12 teams in a larger game, which is about as many units as you want to deal with for a single player.

More nuDW renders released.

And the celestial empire communicates with psychic dreams.

Wasn't that killed with Spartan?

...that's really cool. What's the Celestial Empire's mechanical theme? I never really was super into Dystopian Wars before but those look really cool.

Bought out by the Wild West Exodus guys, who are rapidly inserting all the magic shit from WWX into DW.

And that's the last of them.

The games were bought by Warcradle. The same folks who own Wild West Exodus.

Good to know, did they buy the Firestorm games too?

Has anyone played Palaeo Diet, from Ganesha Games?

wargamevault.com/product/221425/Palaeo-Diet-Eat-or-Be-Eaten

How is it? and does anyone feel like sharing?

The Dark osprey link is ded.
Also anyone has the Rogue stars pdf?

Yeah, they bought all rights relating to the Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas settings.

When will GZG update they fucking site, even brigade does it better. I want to fawn at they models, and half of them don't even have a pic for fuck sakes.

They are definitely in the upper tier of old miniatures companies, to be honest. You can always try contacting them and asking them if they have a pic somewhere, if you only want to know what a few things look like.

just be glad you don't have to fax your order to them.

They're getting better at least in that when they add new sculpts they have decent pics. But yeah fuck, they've got tons of stuff that's still without images.

I actually bought one 25mm infantry guy from a bunch of factions just to see what they looked like.

Post pics.

oh fuck my wallet, gw are rereleasing old scenery again. ridiculous giant-skull scenery, but still. skullvane manse is back with a new name.

if they redo that wizard tower they used to have, I'll have to start taking out loans.

I'll probably get a skullvane manse even though I'm not playing much currently. I also still have the tavern/waycastle still on sprues and I'll probably keep both of them that way for now so I can take up latex and resin and recast them as much as I want to build scenery.

>inserting all the magic shit from WWX into DW.
Eh, those games were already on pretty similar footing with their fantasy. Lots of fantastical science and metaphysics stuff. I mean, DW already had anti-gravity and time manipulation as "tech" in their setting... throwing in some aliens doesn't feel like much of a stretch.

>skullvane manse
>wizard tower
oh my mistake... I perked up for a second there, but I thought you'd said OLD scenery.

They used to be two factions.

China - had flying pagoda fortresses, absurd resilience and acid cannons that caused lasting damage. Also had a stupid as fuck dragonzord.

Japan - had almost unusable weapon arcs on their basic cruisers, stupid as fuck weapon distribution and broken as fuck small ships (their frigates were godlike murderbotes). Also had a comically powerful mecha kraken and some kind of bomber that was better at boarding than bombing because it was full of ninjas with hanzo steel.

Now they're one faction because arr rook same, and have what looks like Chinese godlike hulls with inferior nipponese guns.

>there was some OTT stuff
>therefore aliens and magic are fine

Throwing in aliens just because the setting had some silly stuff before if a stupid idea. It's how you end up with settings that go from mostly serious to a retarded clusterfuck

Interesting. So they are likely to be the tanky as fuck faction, that sounds like a lot of fun to play.

...wait...dragonzord?

Goddamnit, I liked the mundane(ish) stuff, I feel like if they go for outlandish too much it’ll become Just Steampunk. Oh well, I’d better buy some old models...

On one hand, they have a good point about game pieces being visually distinct, and its their game and they can do what they want with it.
On the other hand, the 'semi-realistic alt-future' look was unique and the draw for a lot of people. Making it just another science-fantasy-steampunk game will drive off a lot of people.
They bought the rights to Uncharted Seas too, right? That would have made for a better fit for the aesthetic they want.
And combining the asian factions is a bad idea, especially if they are not discontinuing model lines.

I bought some cheap Scheich animal toys I want to turn into statues, but some of them have a very shallow fur texture I want to get rid off. Thing is, they are pretty rubbery and soft plastic. Does somebody know how to get it sand down better?

Either give them a soft soak in acetone to degrade the plastic to create a clean surface, carefully cut the fur texture off or just sculpt new texture over it.

Wasn't there already alien stuff? Isn't that what was in The Vault?

Only implied/ a possibility as to the origin of the vault, and a non-canon faction of War of the Worlds tripods.

WWX has pic related.

I've never heard about it, but I'm looking into it right now.

OK, privateer press general is gone,

local shop wants me to play smal friendly games

where is the pasta bin that has all the resources? does any former Caen-walker have such a thing?

I found this archive entry

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/55680317/

atleast GZG has pictures for a majority of its stuff (besides 6mm DSII), unlike H&R....

Yeah, although in more of a historical than /awg/ context. I also fooled around with the bote combat system for a bit trying to adapt it for my LotFP campaign. It, uh, went off the rails a while back and we need a better ship-combat setup that D&D normally uses. Yes, I know /NWG/ exists. I'm working on something that someone who doesn't possess the "special" quirks most of us naval gamers have can still enjoy and contribute to.

Short version: I like the seamless scaling and the flexible rules. Tracking is low-overhead. Weapon ranges are unduly-compressed even for the period, but the overall shooting mechanic is nice. Ship combat flows really well. Probably the best pirate game I've played overall, and it's a pretty decent Pike and Shotte skirmish game if you're looking to do some 30YW/ECW small-unit actions.

Plus their historical researcher is a pretty cool guy. We've been trading some first-party period resources off and on through Facebook.

Than you are half joking because mail only miniature makers still exist make me a little sad, and I don't know why...

I will as soon as I don't have a trash tier camera

Don't hold your breath

> so more iceberg ships and robot dragons and less WWI German battleships.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

I'm looking for some good 20mm or maybe 25mm skeletons to use as ogresized constructs in 15mm . Any reccomendations?

OK I lied

It's Starbeast Dol from Gavan

Eh, the ships are overly cartoony and implausible anyway

Ah, been a while since I'd read the fluff.

Its got wedigos armed with bigass guns. I'm okay with that.

Bump.

I really like WWX, so I'm not too torn up about them merging it and DW together.

I'm more interested to see what happens with Firestorm and Uncharted Seas. I'd love a good fantasy naval game. Seems like a wildly disregarded genre.

Played a game for my Warzone League. Got a few pictures out of it and I'm putting together an AAR for it, should have something to share with you lads tomorrow. Spoiler alert, victory for the Dark Legion! mission was Resource Gathering and I had taken an elite army over my usual horde of zombies, lots of Praetorian's and some Necromutants lead by a Praetorian Goliath and backed up by a pair of Nasca Razides. I was up against a player who'd only played twice before, the demo game I took him through, and a league match the day before, both those times were months apart. I went in expecting a seal clubbing and an easy win under my belt, little did I know how fast this kid would learn and how badly he'd make me work for this victory.

Pic related was our battlefield, see you cunts tomorrow!

I still think having China ally with Japan is the most blatant british blundering ignorance ever, but at least the ship looks better than the initial design.

They made it clear they don't give a shit about the hint of historical relevance that made Spartan's DW so interesting.

Spartan was just as blundering, just in different ways. They did come up with stupid shit like dragonmechs and flying squidbots and cathedral-tanks on their own after all. DW jumped the shark mid-way through v1.1

And warcradle says they want even more of that

Looking forward to it!

I've seen lists that are all Preatorian be pretty effective, if usually outnumbered. Close Combat Stalkers are still damn scary (except that one time I had a squad of Hussars just tie them up for three turns because of some of the worlds dumbest rollling).

I sadly know. I will probably be not picking DW up again.

That's just the problem of (pseudo)historical wargames right there.
The real world was messy as fuck, there were hundreds of countries with their own tech, which often spanned several decades worth of material in use. If you try to model that, you'll quickly end up with an undersupported mess of factions unless somebody has a firm grasp and says what goes and what is dropped.
China and Japan probably should have been two separate factions with their own things going on, but doing that means dropping someone else if you want to do both justice. And that quickly gets people mad when you refuse to support their particular pet nation for the sake of having a manageable roster.

>dystopian wars
>mostly serious
Are we talking about the same setting here? The one with squid robots, flying america-superhero robots, other giant robots, again WEAPONIZED TIME TRAVEL and unobtainium-powered landships on a scale that HG Wells would have scoffed at?

If you don't like the aesthetic of WWX or don't agree they meld well, fine. We can have a discussion about aesthetic sensibilities. But trying to argue that DW was somehow a "realistic" or "serious" setting before warcradle got involved is ludicrous.

>mention the tendency for fictional universes to go from taking themselves seriously to totally all out silly once a few less sensible elements show up.

>must think DW is historically accurate

The user never said anything about historical accuracy, he was talking about seriousness (or realistic/believable), which that user was saying DW never was.

I play batman miniayures game. it is great and tons of fanservice. Glad to discuss news and tactics

Do any of you guys have "generic" banner templates? I'm getting my new Oathmark goblins in a few days and I was planning to make a couple of them. All I can find is Warhammer style banners, which don't fit with those miniatures

I wonder what else we'll get in this next wave of releases. All we've seen so far is (yet another) Harley and (another) TV Arrow.

And Raven yes. I'd like to see new FAQ. It is necessary to nerf magic.

So, what gand do u play, goon?

Right, forgot they showed Raven!

I plan to have stuff for GCPD, Green Arrow (but not the TV one), Organized Crime (Black Mask, Maroni and Falcone), League of Assassins and Penguin.

The squid robot, the callimachus, it was all very sparsely used to add one or two super-science units to otherwise reasonably looking forces. Then Spartan, and now Warcradle, went full retard with actual dragon robots, and ExtraDuperLarge icecream boats.

>otherwise reasonably looking forces
Just about all looks like they wanted to make chibi wars

Wasn't the Metzer one of the earlier releases?

I always felt like DW was over the top while trying to have a semblance of realism.

>League of Assassins
You will be happy about the remainder of this months releases then if rumors hold true.

Oh? What's the rumor? We getting a sexy new starter set?

New Ra's and League starter is showing up on a few retailers pre order lists alongside the teased stuff, so it's pretty likely to happen

Fuck yeah! It'll be good to have more options, and a resin starter which I can get for cheap!

Oh yeah, I build mine to 3 stalkers 2 of which armed with Scythe HMGs and carcass launchers. I did a turn two assassination of Andrew Drougan in yesterday's game, it was pretty dank, though I kinda wish I didn't get that off that turn, since I accidentally moved their stalk token into auto-reveal range of Andrew.

I've played against Stalkers twice. Once they were all CC and my Hussars managed to somehow hold them off.

The second time, though, was against one of thr guys from Prodos and and wrecked my shit. Rapid Deployed with incinerators, then just ruined my Vulkan and moved on the just destroy my Rangers.

I saw a guy who did all Preatorians and it was a pretty cool list. Goliath, three squads of Stalkers and a Behemoth. Seemed to work fairly well. Wrecked a Venusian Rangers Bauhaus force.