Food Lore for hard times

Food types and amount to survive a Venezuelan-type situation for a 1, for a family of 4. What to get, how much of it, what should i know?

Other urls found in this thread:

gov.uk/government/publications/composition-of-foods-integrated-dataset-cofid
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wrong place it was for CK

Venezuala is not a famine situation, its rampant inflation and price gouging.

Go with the standard poor people diet:
Flour, Rice, potatoes and dried beans. lots of it
Chickens to get eggs.
mealworms and crickets to feed the chickens.
Grow fresh vegetables on any plot of land you can. Its hot so chillis and tomatos should be available all year round.
Spams expensive but its worth having a couple of tins spaced through the year as a treat.

Stick to your budget and ration your foods
Use the US FDF site to tally up how much each person needs to eat to get ~2500 Kcals per day.
or download the UK's McCance and Widdowsons dataset here:
gov.uk/government/publications/composition-of-foods-integrated-dataset-cofid
Good luck

1. grow your own fucking food you idiot
you can grow potatoes and tomatoes in your back yard easily, they are exceedingly low maintenance plants that grow in nearly any non-extreme climate
2. rice rice rice rice rice
Rice is easy to prepare, cheap in bulk, filling, and only needs a bit of salt to be acceptably tasty

Rice becomes a problem when you can’t access clean water user.

If access to clean water is a significant problem, you're probably going to die.

Any water you've grown rice in isn't clean.

Rice requires a fresh flowing water source to grow in. It's extremely high maintenance.

you dont have to grow the rice, you can buy rice, it's one of the cheepest foods ever and is always avaible even in a famin. As far as food go, look at the slav diet, slavs always had to deal with food shortege so a lot of their cooking is based around making meals out of what ever you can find. A lot of soups, soup will get you through the day and you can make it easily even without any meat. Lots of potatos, lots of cheep vegies

I just meant buying rice. If you can't afford to buy rice, you're not in a situation like venezuala, you're in a famine the likes of which haven't been seen in decades. Or deep in the third world, cut off from all trade.

Eat family.

Grow your own food, supplement with the occasional wild animal. Use any fruit you can get to brew up some prison wine.

>using fruit to make prision wine

bitch make kompot

>kompot

But that wont help me forget that I'm a third world dirt farmer!

Kompot solves all problems sweet child, we slavs have been using it for years to forget that we are slavs, so it can help you forget that you are a shitskin. Now go, follow the way of the babushka and make kompot instead of filthy capitalist wine

Aндeppeйтeд пocт.

But aren't they starving none the less?

Fine until your food is taken to be distributed to 'the community'.
crickets by themselves are good, can be made into flour too.
couple drops of bleach and some filtering and you'll be ok, filters can be pretty primitive & work plus there's dew traps.

a) Is this a hypothetical, or actual question?
b) What is the climate and flora/fauna like in the chosen habitat?
c) Are you allowed to make preparations beforehand, or do you have to live off the land?
d) If this is a hypothetical, what's the level of technology available to you?

Protip: next time, provide more context for the question if you actually want a useful answer.

He doesn't want an answer. He wants to talk about "Muh Venezuela" because he wants this to devolve into a shitshow of a politics thread.

OP is crypto-/pol/

Everything is crypto-/pol/ if you are scared enough of the boogeyman.
Remember that it's us who are in control of the thread's rails, not someone else.
I, for one, genuinely welcome survivalist-, economy- and worldbuilding-related food discussion on Veeky Forums.

I do too, but I'm just pointing out that OP is not acting in good faith.

Well seeing as how he has yet to actually respond to anything in the thread I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. If he tries to steer it back to the shitshow that is Venezuela then we know he's /pol/ but if he really is just interested in how the lower classes survived and continue to survive during desperate times then perhaps he is less of a faggot.

So it's up to us to counter-troll the faggot and make it an actual survival thread.

Wrong kompot

I am the OP i could not respond as i was not here. Life is still an ongoing show.

Its a supposed situation, that may happen where i live.

I don't care about [pol or such things. This was for ck.

I get that i have to get simple food that provides nutrition enough to stay alive and requires as little energy or other substances, water, to prepare but i was wandering as well about the things that are not plainly evident.

What will i not be expecting?

I reported my own thread when i made the 2nd post, i was hoping it would be moved to CK and that the thread that died for my mistake would be resurrected.

You Veeky Forums now,. Post some actual recipes for emergency cuisine that we can use in our games.

Then its a Dungeon Meshi thread

The inability to purchase food leads to the same problem as there not being enough food. People still starve leading to a famine. At that you just eat whatever you can find or afford....like the family dog.

Have you ever been hungry before? Really hungry? After just days of not meeting caloric needs your demeanor, mental clarity, and outlook on life will change. It will be harder to think through a mental fog, harder to stay positive through the constant discomfort of gnawing hunger, harder to plan ahead or delay gratification. Basically hunger is more than a physical problem, and if you suspect you'll have to endure such conditions, then you need to mentally prepare yourself. Meditation and stoicism are your friends.

Venezuela has security and water problems as well. Food is rather low on the totem pole of prepper priorities.

To make this Veeky Forums appropriate, is there any PnP game equivalent to This War of Mine? Something which tries to model the immediate aftermath of a collapse of modern distribution structures in a western urban environment?

Been without food for 48 hours straight, i was ok i guess. But i would not say the same about the other members of the family.

You could have at least used google translate.

When's the new chapter? They don't talk about it on /a/ and there are no significant communities for it where I can hunt down news. Shouldn't a new chapter be coming soon?

user why did you eat them?

hehehe

>Jumping the gun this much

Venezuela is totally fucked. It's an apt metaphor regardless of your political orientation.

The only one making this political is you. Leave the reddit on reddit

Can I ask, what did you do during those 48 hours? Because physical activity will obviously increase your caloric needs, but will also take your mind off the hunger. Conversely, remaining sedentary conserves energy but makes the hunger more apparent, if less serious.

Did some physical activity but light stuff. Meditated for 2 days.

Ah that's what I was asking thank you, your first post led me to believe you just went hungry and didn't mind and I was suddenly insecure about my own ability to cope with hunger. Yeah meditation is the ticket, I think those monks were on to something

Communism failing is hardly something /pol/ cares about, mentioning that is not politically incorrect enough. As shown by the fact that the only shit it started was your meta whine and nothing political.

I'm not very good at this, but here's the buttons /pol/ would press.

>How should I prep to survive a Zimbabwe style situation in my country as a white man with a family of 4? Also how to deal with water shortages, what to get, how much of it, what should I know?

Isnt a dozen eggs like the equivalent 150 fucking dollars in Venezuela? Not to mention people do NOT make an equivalent wage, here in brazil I make like the equivalent of 250 bucks a month working reception at a relatively good hotel.

And food prices here are (generally) cheaper than in the US, not like 100 x more expensive.

So good luck living off a single bag of rice you blew your months wage on.

>Harder to stay positive through the constant discomfort of gnawing hunger,
Incorrect, after about a few days due to atrophy of the stomach the hunger vanishes.
Also, anecdotal, but I've fasted for three days, and the most hellish part was the first half of the second day, after that I entered ketosis and was fine, even serene

>2500 kcal per day
Did you accidentally select the minimum to maintain weight at obesity, or do they assume we're all running for 45 minutes a day?

>MFW venezuelan but getting paid in dollars so I'm living like a king but everyone is starving and crime is off the charts

I've found the answer to the age old question, it is indeed better to serve in heaven than reign in hell. I bet heaven has better internet at least.

Boris you have videos to make, blin!

The real question is what all those underground races eat. Mushrooms, bugs, and roots?

Doesn't seem very conducive to sustaining any decently sized population without using magic.

fungus, and if there was a world with a underground habitat to that extent I'd hazard that certain species of tubers would aclimate and/or adapt to being underground completely

I used to have a collection of receipies from an Italian housewives' magazine in the 30s, it basically detailed what could you cook to leave as little leftovers as possible. I do remember that here was a receipe to use the fat left in cooking oil, rice and stale bread to make a bread cutlet surrogate; or one which basically taught you how to create a vegetable soup with as little water as possible, but I don't recall the procedure, but considered the time period and the area they're from, it's not imposible to think you could replicate that in a Medieval Fantasy setting.