But what if a space marine doesn't want to kill? what if he wants to paint or open a bakery or something?

but what if a space marine doesn't want to kill? what if he wants to paint or open a bakery or something?

they are geneticly made to like war and kill

Honestly OP, given the selection procedures the various chapters operate by, then the augmentation process, and the indoctrination processes, that ain't gonna happen.

The Ultras screen through their territories military training programs for candidates, the Wolves go full Viking looking for people who have done great deeds or died bravely in combat, the Blood Angels have a whole series of manhood trials, etc etc.

An aspirant with that kind of mindset would probably wash out. If they are otherwise excellent, they might become a chapter serf and serve the Imperium in some non-martial capacity.

That's where the Emporer's Children come in

Then he wouldn't want to be a space marine in the first place. Also, chaplains, tech marines, librarians, etc. Also, some space marines may be cooking for their brethren. And somebody must have created those battle scenes they decorate the walls of the monasteries with.

Chaplains and techmarines do their share of killing. Everything else is done by serfs.

We have a program for that.

It's called,"Stop being a pussy and get in the fucking power armor, Shinjius."

>Also, chaplains, tech marines, librarians, etc.
They do a LOT of killing. Especially Chaplains. They gotta show their merit as servants of the Emperor and the Primarch somehow.

>Also, some space marines may be cooking for their brethren. And somebody must have created those battle scenes they decorate the walls of the monasteries with.
Serfs do that.

Then whoever the fuck oversaw their hypno-indoctrination will have a lot of fucking explaining to do.

Fuck, this might go deeper than just some limp-wristed pansy not wanting to fulfill his duty to the Emperor. What if others in the chapter are secretly harboring similar thoughts due to faulty indoctrination? Maybe some are harboring seditious, heretical desires even?

>Stop being a pussy and get in the fucking power armor, Shinjius

Technically, the Hospitallers chapter has a very short story by David Guymer (wrote Eye of Medusa, read it) where they focus on protecting and accompanying wounded soldiers in their last moments, pretty interesting.

>the Wolves go full Viking looking for people who have done great deeds or died bravely in combat
>died bravely in combat
um

Almost died bravely in combat.

Hell, technically the Death Specters actually die for their induction and are brought back to life.
Their librarians die AGAIN as part of their last tests.

Do they take the knot?

if it happened it would be considered a failure and probably executed

I don't know my dude.

He's talking about a screncap where an user came up with a homebrew space marine chapter from a planet where a large amount of executions take place. These executions being done by hanging, he thought "take the knot" would be a good battle cry for the chapter to use, not realizing that this was a term used to refer to somebody taking a dog's dick.

I know, it just wasn't funny for this time.

And I was just rolling on the chart.

Mind wipes and pyscho therapy.

Fookin nice. Doom Eagles are a top notch chapter. I used to have a pasta grom an user that resumed their characters perfectly. They walk the line between being grimdark and benevolent.

>All of creation suffers, young ones. Only in accepting our own mortality can we make a difference. Only in bearing the burden of our failures can we find the strength to go on. Only in detachment from glory, or honour, or jealousy... from life itself can we hope to spare others from grief.
>We are Doom Eagles. And we are dead already.

So, "what if he's a heretic and fallen astartes, refusing to defend the Emperor" is what you're asking? The answer should be obvious.

He joins the EC legion

Ask Lorgar and how that worked for him and his sons.

But do they always have serfs along? Seems like if they're in a rough situation where no serfs are available, well, somebody has to find/make something to eat.

They have rations on the field, plus they can rat raw meat if they need.

Yeah so looks like one of them has to go gathering rats to eat. HAHA.

Already been said, but anyone with that sort of mindset wouldn't have been selected as a potential recruit, much less made it through the actual trials. I could see a marine taking up baking as a hobby for his periods of free time, but even without the hypnoindoctrination anyone that actually made it through the space marine creation process is gonna be just dandy with some killing.

You seen the rats in hiveworld sewers? Like Skaven with lasguns.

They can recycle urine and feces in their armor.

Interesting, thanks.

Brother Anonius, if you go renegade, you can sit around painting Battlemace 42m with us. We both know playing 42m is more fun than serving the corpse-emperor.

We nominally worship the dark pantheon for the great cultists and slaves but other then that you can do w/e.

Perturabo wanted to be an architect. Look at how that worked out for him.

Read Perturabo : Hammer of Olympia and look how it turns out
Pretty much this
Perturabo was a marvelous artist and architect, having a mind that, when used for this purpose, can create stunning halls and beautiful things but that was not what his mind was used for
He grew bitter that he never could rebuild cities to former glory, that his plans are all just stupid dreams (for him) and that he will never use his skill for writing a book about philosophy, architecture and similar stuff
I feel bad for Pert he never asked for anything like this, if he only was an artisan or architect he would probably had a better life

He gets to build castles wherever he likes without having to ask anyone for permission. It worked out great, 10/10, would embrace dark powers again.

>David Gymer
>Writes about Marines who care for others in their last moments.
>Also wrote Headtaker.

...I am intrigued. Anyone have a PDF or Mobi?

Thing is, isn't it part of the initiation rite that a candidate has to kill several others in a brutal melee? A Space Marine who doesn't want to kill would likely die here anyway.

Though I wonder if there was a Space Marine that renounced killing, would it be a younger marine who looks at things with a fresh perspective, or an older one that has seen so much shit and started questioning his values.

>or an older one that has seen so much shit and started questioning his values.
An old errant marine veteran travelling the galaxy and using non-lethal takedowns on his foes, ala old shaolin master, would make for an awesome story.

Indeed I do. Can be found in one of the megas of the general.

I'm currently waiting for Voice of Mars from him, since Eye of Medusa was so damn good.

What? But the EC love to fight. They love art, that's true, but they sought to find perfection in every aspect of life, that's why it was so easy to Slaanesh corrupt them. IE Lucious sought perfection only in mastering his skills with the sword. The only legion that really hate wars are the Word Bearers, they spend decades trying to bring worlds into compliance trough diplomacy and faith instead of war.

There's a Mentors short story where a single Astartes take down rebels with sort of "pressure point' strikes, before continuing his teachings to the squads of loyalists he's mentoring.

>pressure points

Is this just rampant memery? Obviously, being hit in certain places hurts more than others, but is this effortless unconscious-knocking possible?

Sounds like an Alpha Legion plot to me

I don't remember if he knocks them out or kills them. Probably the latter, he's still an Astartes. Technically, your skull can be considered a pressure point when the pressure is applied by a 2 meters and then some tall walking tank.

thank you, user.

It's 40k, tech is undistinguishable from magic, faith stops bullets, you can do anything with subliminal hypnotic commands, and I'd expect pressure points to be very real.

Isn't the point of Space Marines that they are superior in every way? Not just unstoppable engines of destruction but master strategists. Scholar soldiers who's fury is matched only by their wisdom. A shinning example for all humanity physically, intellectually and spiritually. You know, just all round galactic Mary Sues?

Not really. They're augmented barbaric teenagers given the best weapons and training, and beneficiting from centuries of experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Chaplains would administer proper treatment for this disorder and bring his healthy fighting spirit back

So actually the blood angels do kind of have a "kill a battle brother and then you can join us rite" but Dante the chapter master refused and they let him in. I think it was in his novel

that was the Carcharodons fucking with the mantis worriors.
The test of Horrus, they take two candidates who are close to each other and make them fight to the death. You win by telling the space marine testing you no.

>The test of Horrus, they take two candidates who are close to each other and make them fight to the death. You win by telling the space marine testing you no.
Brilliant.

>implying he didn’t know exactly what he was doing
You’re absolutely adorable, user.

>The second Chapter to have suffered the wrath of the Crimson Fists were the Marines Vigilant. The Chapter had fallen under the mind-control of a rare warp entity which had eradicated all martial instinct of the Space Marines, rendering them useless as a military force. The unfortunate Marines Vigilant put up no resistance at all as the Crimson Fists used orbital mass drivers to turn the renegade Chapter's verdant home planet into lifeless desert.

'Nuff said.

Is there any reason or way that a Space Marine would be released from duty to his chapter, that is not death or turning renegade?

Where are the Angry Marines?

It depends on the source and chapter. And time period. 40k isn't good about at keeping it straight across authors/editions. The Minotaur Chapter is a good example of this "retconning"

In a museum,

Short Marine syndrome is a sad thing, brah.

>takes a dog's dick
>know exactly what he was doing
Alpharius strikes again

All marines are just varying degrees of manlet.

And that's how we got Alicia Melchiott.

I actually am pretty sure Primaris are the same height in both models and fluff, as long as the Custodian has his helmet off. GW said on Facebook a Primaris Marine is 9' tall.

The Primaris would still get buttraped in a fair fight but they are the same size.

>Short Marine Syndrome

That's actually adorable

>typical marinelet out of armor

No. Only in Death does Duty end.

Yeah, dishonoring his chapter and becoming a blackshield, in which case he does the same thing he was doing before but as the Inquisition's dog.

True dat. I often see Blackshields as remnants of traitorous/disgraced chapters, but it can be the other way around.

>So how can we, the Chaos Gods help you, Lord Perturabo? Do you want an endless war of vindication like Angron? Pleasures beyond imagination like Fulgrim? Apotheosis and Truth like Lorgar?
>I want the best minecraft version ever.
>The wat?
>Minecraft. With good textures and physics. Not the regular voxel shit.
>...Whatever

>unconscious knocking
More like unconscious head explosions.

Spoken like a true autist.

Meanwhile, Chadstodes get to take unending vacations whenever they feel like that...

A be all end all Vulcan nerve pinch kind of thing isn't real, but there are still various points where a precise hit can induce muscle spasms or momentary blood loss, enough to say take out someone's legs from under them. However they'll probably be back on thier feet within a minute at most, so no magic point on some fools anatomy will end the fight for you, pending you don't crush his skull with a rock or something while he's down

Marine conditioning means they're going to be killing. Actually, that's kind of what Aspirants want out of the deal; to kill and to bring ruin to the enemies of mankind. Really, only Chaos has the kind of power to fuck up something like that. Though Marines seldom sit down and wait for exterminatus if they're deemed heretical, but that's possibly because they're already thick with the taint or their conditioning to kill for the Emperor are overridden by their instincts to survive.

But Marines that don't want to fight have been a thing in fluff. Nurgle sent down some kind of virus-induced apathy on one Chapter. Marines that won't fight serve as a very bad example of heresy in the Imperium, plus a potential vector for other Space Marines, so they got exterminatus'd.

Well, if you hit someone's chest at precisely the right time, you can stop their heart. But that's not exactly good for non-lethal takedowns.

>but what if a space marine doesn't want to kill?

Been a while since I messed with 40k fluff, but if I recall correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong), but that would never happen.
Going back to what I remember, space marines recruit 10-13 year olds that are serial killers, psychotics, and savages. So before you're even recruited, you're a killer.

Not really.
Marines can survive weeks without food

If you're a Blood Angel descendant, any adjacent human settlements will do.

That would be the custodes.
Most astartes actualy seem dumb as a rock.

That didn't stop Vulkan from making artisan pieces, or Dorn from making battlements that were as majestic as they were formidable.
Pert's problems stemmed from himself first and foremost.

Word bearers, too, loved to burn people. The priests of pre-imperial cults, those unwilling to convert.
That was the reason why big E lost his temper. They got more radical with time.

They were religious fanatics before and after the heresy. Still yelling DEUS VULT.

No. Perturabo's duties prevented him from doing what he wanted to do.
You could say that it doesn't make sense, but it's 40k

Not really.

Those two got the time to sit down and have peace. Or at least time away from the front lines.
Pert and sons got shipped from meat grinder to meat grinder.

Emperor's Children is what happens when they try to do things they were not made to do.

Blitz is my favourite operator

A couple of decades of psycho-indoctrination will fix that

I don't think they were made to spread diseases and do sorcery either. Khorne really exemplifies a Marine's purpose, though with none of the restraint that makes them useful.

Astral Knights are not on the list.

That's because they're dead and buried, and have been for quite some time. That said, the Knights of Blood should be taken out too, I'll have to find another chapter.

Well, yeah, is right. Nearly dying, whatever.

i beleive they can eat just about everything except rocks and probably some of those too. besides, orks are said to taste like chicken

In rogue trader only violent psychopaths were selected who then undergo further indoctrination and brain washing, all they want to do is kill.

>This is a fucking book cover

God damn I'm upset at how short it was

However they still take decades to take a world. EC never had any problem in killing people. The only difference is that they kill in a fabulous way, make art with the bodies and then have an orgy on top of them.

They talk about that in Horus Rising actually. The Astartes, who are immortal until killed, will see the Emperor's (Beloved by all) domain spread across the stars. but what will happen when there are no more wars to fight?

This is a less than 3K words story you dumbass.

It should have been longer you elongated fairy

I like it. Also, look at pic related, that's a real shame.