How do you feel about players that have their characters constantly do something that outright mechanically inhibits...

How do you feel about players that have their characters constantly do something that outright mechanically inhibits their performance, while gaining absolutely nothing in return?

For example: I am currently involved in a game where there is a penalty to all rolls while your character is drunk. There is another player in the group whose character is constantly drunk as much and as often as possible (and even if we try to prevent him from drinking, the character will go out of his way to sneak a drink). The character gets absolutely nothing in return for this flaw - it's just something the player roleplays because he thinks it's fun and amusing. However, another player in the group absolutely hates it both IC and OOC because the penalties for his drunkeness has caused the drunk to fail quite a few rolls - especially in the middle of combat.

Someone call the fun police

He's roleplaying.

If it really becomes that big a concern then perhaps the GM ought to just reduce the penalties for him on the grounds that he is a high-functioning alcoholic.

What even is role-playing? Does anybody know? Maybe have the group stage an intervention, or hide his booze, or act proactively in any way.

>both IC and OOC because the penalties for his drunkeness has caused the drunk to fail quite a few rolls - especially in the middle of combat.
OOC hate is out of line
IC hate is completely justified if he has endangered the party in combat and inability to be a functioning member of the party IC should lead to an ultimatum with threat of expulsion IC.

If it's a problem, offer them a glass of "ale" that's got some hocus pocus in it that really fucks him up as a means of an intervention.
Or have the characters slowly stop aiding him while he's drunk. Let his fate be his own.
This is an IC problem that your characters should solve, not your players.

Maybe he's waiting for someone to try to fix him?

I don't get parties where PCs get to keep their destructive harmful traits just because they add to their personality. I mean sure, they did at the beginning, but actual friends would try and fix it, wouldn't they?

This user gets it
In character it makes sense, but if you're getting pissy out of character you're a power gamer trying to win at rollplaying

This. It's what I did for the halfling in my game. Drank like a fish so started to get used to it. Partway through the penalties vanished. Now she gets penalties when sober instead. It's become a money sink. Like in real life.

>OOC hate is out of line

if the dude is being a douchebag, which it sounds like he is, OOC hate is to be expected. indeed, i would take the very existence of this OOC hate as evidence that the guy is being a douchbag. if he doesn't care that he's making people angry, that is the very definition of being an asshole.

>STOP ROLEPLAYING IT TRIGGERS ME
It show that the other player is a douchebag.

I can give a great example of the douchebaggery:

I knew a PC that once was high on a drug, and tried to be as "helpful" as possible in spite of massive penalties to all his rolls. Another character got wounded, and so the druggie PC immediately made a roll to give him medical attention - in spite of being high and having absolutely no medical training whatsoever. He ended up failing the roll with a massive margin of failure, of course - causing additional damage to the wounded PC and sending him into a coma.

The druggie PC thought this was funny as hell and laughed out loud for a long time IRL.

The guy in a coma was obviously not amused.

Everybody else at the table braced for the drama that was about to ensue.

The GM later told me he regretted the decision he made and wished he just counted it as a failure with no additional penalty instead of piling on additional insult and injury.

We lost two players that night.

This
And this

Eat shit, snowflake
>inb4 /pol/ pls go
Try again

ITT: rollplayers fail to realize that RPGs aren't wargames

>indeed, i would take the very existence of this OOC hate as evidence that the guy is being a douchbag. if he doesn't care that he's making people angry, that is the very definition of being an asshole.
"Someone dislikes what he's doing, so he must be in the wrong" doesn't sound very convincing to me.

ITT: Wargamers who are upset they aren't winning their managed skirmish game

The people who defend this behavior with "roleplaying" are also the same people who use OOC justifications to keep the character in the party.

>But that's what my character would do!
always was and still is a horrible excuse for shitty behaviour. Yes, your character would have acted this way, and you made your character this way, knowing he will be a liability to everyone.

No, actually.
It's a fine character and the IC hate is justified.
I'll boot him out of the group IC, except if he's a friend of my character or if there is another reason why I would keep him around

OOC justifications such as "its fun for all"? Constantly fucking up things on purpose for the lulz is shitty behavior, but compulsively avoiding anything mechanically disadvantageous isn't really conductive for good roleplaying either.

Sounds like your group fucking sucks at role-playing desu. If he didn't even die there is 0 reason to be pissed out of character.
Always so easy to spot the DnDunderhead

>Year 2018 anno domini
>Playing anything other than DnD

>Sounds like your group fucking sucks at role-playing desu.

So you're saying that intentionally harming other player characters is "good roleplaying?"

This sound like a group of 12 year old autists

I generally don't care until either their shit negatively impacts the group or it becomes obnoxious to deal with due to the player being a lolsorandumb fucktard about it.

Like our Cleric/Sorcerer started off the game getting drunk off their ass for multiple in-game days in a row, regardless of time of day, and the result was that we had to split the party constantly and their drunken antics distracted from what was actually happening during the game. That, in addition to the fact that they almost killed a party member and almost caused us to fail a quest we were taking for extra coin.

IC and OoC, it was a major problem to deal with and we eventually addressed it with our DM, who presumably talked to them about it outside of game since they don't split off as much as when we first started playing the game.

>Sounds like your group fucking sucks at role-playing desu. If he didn't even die there is 0 reason to be pissed out of character.
Being put into a coma is practically the same as death user, especially in the context of the game. Personally, I'd be pissed off too if some fucktard crippled my character for the rest of the campaign and then laughed about it to my face like it was the funniest shit in the world.

ITT: "roleplayers" who make shitty players and wonders why nobody likes their "roleplaying."