Cold iron forging does not make sense and I dare you to explain it without using the dreaded "magic"

Cold iron forging does not make sense and I dare you to explain it without using the dreaded "magic".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_Hill
uh.edu/engines/epi385.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

'cold iron' means the same as 'cold steel'
It's not a special material, it's just that someone's got it pressed against your neck (metaphorically, if not physically)
Coercion or imminent violence, basically

The deal with elves and cold iron is they won't betray you if you can retaliate

>'cold iron' means the same as 'cold steel'
so it's an overhyped word?

It's okay to explain some things with magic, though. As a matter of fact, if magic is a thing, some things should be explained with it. It should make the world different and enable things that would otherwise be impossible. That said, AFAIK cold iron forging usually isn't explained with magic, and unlike what says, cold iron is sometimes handles as its own thing distint from regularly worked iron. That is pretty dumb, I'll give you that, OP.

The best way to handle it in a D&D-style game is probably to make it unenchanted iron or steel.

Getting fire hot enough to hot forge iron is actually pretty difficult, especially when you don't have much grasp of how combustion really works and haven't learned how to make trompes. It takes significant infrastructure and knowledge.

On the other hand, if you manage to get hold of some scrap iron (from a more advanced culture) or stumble across some good ore (like an iron meteorite), you can cold-work it with brute force. For humans, that really isn't worth it compared to figuring out how to hot forge it, but some fantasy races have a lot more brawn and a bit less brain...

>Explain how to make this inherently magical material without magic.
Fuck you.

Yes, it's a D&Dism like studded leather or chainmail.

OK, no. That is definitely not how forging iron works. Even if you are somehow strong enough to deform metal with brute strength alone (hint: you aren't), that shit is more likely to crack and be misshapen than actually ever be anything resembling a decent weapon.

>Yes, it's a D&Dism like studded leather or chainmail.
>chainmail
Is this some kind of ridiculous pedantry based on the historical term for the type of armor in question being something different?

Cold iron just means forged without tempering the blade.
The resulting weapon doesn't hold an edge and is pretty fragile (compared to tempered iron) but it's cheap and quick to make and replace.
Also tempered steel is more difficult to reforge after being broken

>cold iron is sometimes handles as its own thing distint from regularly worked iron.
No it doesn't. That's a kenning.

Fantasy writers cannot into poetry, everything has to be literal in the dumbest ways they can imagine. There is also the idea that regular iron is far too common in the modern world and the pseudo-medieval fantasy setting to be allowed to be fae-kryptonite despite the humble horseshoe being the stock folklore ward against elves.

It has to be something rare as with werewolves and silver, so cold iron becomes a super special type made through complicated methods. Or Meteoric Iron which has it's own magical associations and really was cold forged by the Inuit to make knives and other small items.If any old iron worked farm girls would hit faeries with frying pans and then where would we be.

>If any old iron worked farm girls would hit faeries with frying pans and then where would we be.
In Camelot.

Chainmail armor means "chainchain"
It's mail armor. Not chainmail.

"cold iron" is simply another term for wrought iron - low carbon content iron or steely iron with significant slag stringers still present.

it cannot be forged cold - doing so will crack and crumble it. you can rivet it cold, it is soft enough for easy malleability of a piece to a small degree.

cold-forging (ie, drop-press forging) is a process which requires hundreds of tonnes of force, orders of magnitudes greater than any human or other animal can make.

chainmail as always called maille/mail

'tis a silly place.

Ah, so it was ridiculous pedantry.

In something similar to the lovechild of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and an average high fantasy seting.

It's only a model.

Or to be more accurate, "mail" comes from "macula", the latin word meaning "chain".

so its Chainchain.

and D&D-ism Platemail is platechain.

Chain-mail, is simply "Mail".

or as its usually done nowadays, Maille, because it makes it easier to search for online, when there's also postal mail, and e-mail, and so on that will make searches for mail armour harder. One of the few uses of ye olde englesshe spellingee with an extra letter that makes sense, since it prevents confusion with the far more common other uses of the word.

have you heard about Hill Hill Hill?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_Hill

Shush.

Source: has never handled a cold iron tool and has no idea what he is saying from his arm chair

Let me have my fucking sword, Todd.

Maxing your profession in World of WarCraft doesn't count as actual blacksmithing, bruh. Elementium isn't a real mineral either.

I bet you say “ATM machine”, you fucking subhuman.

>OK, no. That is definitely not how forging iron works. Even if you are somehow strong enough to deform metal with brute strength alone (hint: you aren't), that shit is more likely to crack and be misshapen than actually ever be anything resembling a decent weapon.

You remind me of the user from a couple weeks ago who insisted that it was impossible for adult males to ride a horse bareback.

>Also tempered steel is more difficult to reforge after being broken
You don't reforge swords. You maybe make smaller things out of the pieces; but even then, probably not.

>.If any old iron worked farm girls would hit faeries with frying pans and then where would we be.

On Chalk, presumably.

you'll end up with one hell of an infection.

Cold iron is literally just iron. The mythological aspect of iron repelling fae comes from early iron age with how much better worked iron was than bronze.

I mean, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but it's sure as fuck uncomfortable, painful, and likely not something you could do for long periods of time.

you can reforge any object made of iron or steel.
The result is probably not very good tho, especially with tempered steel, since as you say you can't really reforge it, just reuse it.
But not tempered iron is pretty easy to repair, even tho it's still easier to melt it again and recycle it

Not if you ride it right. Lot more difficult than with a saddle, but no where near guaranteed injury.

But aren't there some folk myths where having iron on you protects you from fae folk ?

>not that guy but
source: have a home forge and regularly use cold iron forging techniques. you still heat the metal, but only up to a soft red color. Much colder than normal forging temperatures, and then you carefully forge it. you take your time shaping it and you don't beat on it with a massive hammer. I use a 1lb hammer on my cold forge knives and it takes me about twice as long to do it.

How well do your kniveswork against fae, fey or othrwise fairy-like folk?

I'm fairly certain OP is referring to some magical process wherein metal is not heated at all but is somehow still shaped.

To be totally fair platemail et al predates D&D by quite some way. The short version is that 19th century historians decided that mail was a generic term for armor and so needed to invent words such as chainmail and so on to distinguish the actual type they were talking about. An invented solution for an invented problem.

D&D was not the first popular media to use these terms by any means, but it is one reason older terminology and ideas (studded leather etc) are proving difficult to shift.

I am sorry to be the baron of bad news, but you seem buttered, so allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies, and are more than just ice king on the cake. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality.

I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the fax, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.

go to google, type in chemestry, study it for 10 years, star making retarded shit that even phicisits think should not work like that
???????
profit.

While your post in general is correct, iron is believed to be an anathema to faes because it is the symbol of human desingn and manufacture. Faes, being nature spirits, are repelled by the unnatural man-made order that iron symbolizes.
To confirm this, one should note that faes are never show to be weak to 'iron' in general, but specifically to iron weapons and tools, therefore iron which has been molded by human hands. In old folklore iron is the literal symbol of nature tamed by civilization, mostly because iron is a mineral and bronze doesn't exist in nature

Underrated.

That's nothing, I've seen an user claim that a 60 mile trip would take A MONTH if it was on foot instead of on horseback.
Pretty sure he thought it would take 5 days on horseback, too.

>you'll end up with one hell of an infection.
Wat? Wtf are you talking about? Bareback horseriding dose not differ much than riding a horse with a saddle, it just requires much more strength and if you are shit at it you will hurt your balls

Fae are one of the many the bastards two towns over are devils not humans stories that got extra polarized when the bastards two towns over died off. Irons repels them for exactly the reason he said.

How much is that in kms?

Foul sorcery.

around x1.5, so 90km. You could do that in 12 hours if you were walking without packs. 2 days with a big backpack

Presumably just as well as they work against heterosexuals.

I guess that user just wasn't good at estimating distances.
Yet i would say it takes a little more that two days unless the road is a straight line

The joke
Your head

>cold steel
>Coercion or imminent violence

Heh, nothing personnel kid.

You should be doing around 4km a hour with a steady pace with a big backpack if you are somewhat fit. If we assume that you wake up early, push yourself and end late, you should be able to do it

As far as D&D is considered raw cold iron is magical iron that has a penchant for for fucking up the day of demons and fey. forging it normally fucks up that magical quality for some reason, so the metal is cold worked. It IS possible to work iron without firing it, but it will still be a pain in the ass and wont be as strong as steel.

oh, you sweet summer child.

4km is nothing. You can be a american and still be able to do make it under one hour

We are talking about doing 90km in two days

What if it's the iron that hurt faes, but some kind of impurity? Would explain why heating it destroy the "magical" properties.

It probably is personal more often than not.

Special iron ore found in very specific regions. Can only be worked in 2200-2300° if your trying to keep its magical abilities so a master craftsman is typically the only one to be able to make the blades. It is for some reason especially strong against fey.

Happy OP?

Stop trying to troll nerds by attemoting to scientifically explain objectively fantastical elements of an unquestionably make-believe world driven by phoney physics.

> t. You are a Faggot.

>Faes, being nature spirits

Wrong, this had nothing to do with "nature vs technology" D&D faggotry, fairies were not tree huggers or necessarily related to nature and they themselves had their own manners of industry, iron killed fairies because it cemented their obsolence.

The witches novels were the absolute worst he wrote

I mean Terry was a good writer so they're still readable, but Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg and all those were so annoying

Its literally just
>something bad happens
>the witches do literally nothing
>the bad thing gets psyched out and goes away
>the witches act all 'wiser than tho' like they did jack shit to help anybody

No, waywrong man. They have always been nature spirits.

I dunno, I for me, Raising Steam and Snuff were the worst. I don't mind the Tiffany Aching books, but I can feel I'm not exactly the target audience.

...oh.

Depends on how you choose to define nature spirit. Dwarfs are fae, but they are also the fae that used their craftsmanship and industry to create several artifacts used by the gods.

>It takes significant infrastructure and knowledge.
Most Bantu African countries were making iron shit back then. Not just the empires like Ghana, Mali, or Songhai, but the ones lovingly referred to as "Mudhuts"
Hell, one of them accidentally forged their iron into carbonsteel
Source: uh.edu/engines/epi385.htm

I always thought "cold iron" just meant very pure, unalloyed iron.

>literally cast shape metal

This. Frequent myths and legends simply indicate that any iron will deter fairies.

In my setting, cold iron refers to 'pure' iron, aka iron that hasn't been touched by magic or alloyed.

its not that bad. you just need to learn to support your weight on your weight on your knees rather than juat sittinf on the horse like its a chair.

A saddle is certainly more comfortable, but bareback isn't problematic.

Based dyslexia poster

>accidentally
I rather expect everyone who discovered that did so accidentally.

Unalloyed iron is ironically not really common anymore, lots of things that used to be made by iron are now made with other more rust-resistant metals like alumnium, it would actually be hard to find anything anti-fairy in most modern households.

So pic related isn't a work by fantasy authors?

And often sorcery or the supernatural in general. The RPG I have the pic from mentions somewhere in the rulebook that people who don't themselves use magic almost always carry around "a lump of iron in their pocket" to provide cheap, low level magical protection.

>Cold iron is a poetic term for iron.
>Francis Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue defines cold iron as "A sword, or any other weapon for cutting or stabbing." This usage often appears as "cold steel" in modern parlance.
>Rudyard Kipling's poem "Cold Iron", found in his 1910 collection of stories Rewards and Fairies, used the term poetically to mean "weapon".
>"Cold iron" is historically believed to repel, contain, or harm ghosts, fairies, witches, and other malevolent supernatural creatures.

Yes.
Getting picky about "-mail" is possibly even more pendantic than people that get butthurt over "-mancy" and "-punk"

Nigga I have a belt of giants strength and roll a natural 20 I can definitely smash some ore together to form a club to beat your skull in faggot

I hope you get hit by a bus. This triggered my autism

fuck you

Depends. But overall the fair folk are more aligned with nature and the natural order whereas humanity dominates everything with our brains.

There's no forging. You have to be lucky enough to find a hunk you can fashion into a crude blade or hang as armor. Cold Iron is powerful, but since it can't be forged, it's a very difficult material to actually weaponize against the Fae.

Or, you know. Quest to find a volcano since its natural heat will still count. If you introduce ANY magic or craft into cold iron, it just loses that Mana-murdering touch, and plain iron is just detestable to Fae, instead of agonizing and deadly.

Sure got the retard part of retard strength right.

Google "Hot Forging Vs. Cold Forging"

There's nothing magical about cold iron
In most cases cold iron or just iron has magical dampening or outright cancelling properties if anything its the most mundane thing in fantasy

If you bang on anything enough, it'll get hot.

British Jedi.

No, dwarfs are short hairy alcoholic bastards who will murder you with insanely elaborate traps or, if that fails, copper picks.

It's pasta.

You put it in the fridge and it makes monsters and people shudder and make their balls freeze and fall off.
Boom, bonus damage.

>Yes, it's a D&Dism like ... chainmail.
Isn't that Sir Walter Scott?

No, this is Sir Walter Scott.

That ( ) is just some guy.

Not sure how you could have gotten the two confused. SWS doesn't have nearly enough chins to be posting on Veeky Forums.

More importantly, any iron you "cold forge" this way has already been heat-forged in the past.

The Hadean Eon is just a theory. That iron was put there by god to keep the elves away.

That's literally what he's saying you dumb shit.