So where the fuck do dungeons come from? Who makes them? Why? And how?

So where the fuck do dungeons come from? Who makes them? Why? And how?

ur mum

>Why is OSR dumb?
>Why did we totally abandon dungeon crawling, until it became old enough to be retro-hip?

Dungeon gods, angry dragons, unemployable liches.

Who maintains the torches? Who places random treasure chests around? Do dungeon owners pay real estate tax?

So where the fuck do bunkers come from? Who makes them? Why? And how?

Cool shitpost bro

They grow by themselves, naturally. If left unchecked, various dangerous creatures can begin coming out of it, which is inconvienient. If the "core" of the dungeon is destroyed, it withers over time. Some make dungeons their lairs because of their naturally magical aura, or because the monsters living in it are a good enough safeguard against nosy people.

That's actually an interesting idea

Depends on the dungeon. They can be tombs, catacombs, natural cave formations where dangerous creatures have taken residence, the lairs of powerful spellcasters that want solitude, hideouts for thieves or bandits or brigands, ruins of cellars or tunnels of long-decayed surface structures, abandoned cities that belong to subterranean inclined races such as dwarves, old mines, smuggling tunnels, etc. And that's just the underground stuff- A 'dungeon' could just as easily be a surface structure or complex like a keep, overrun town, temple, haunted or hostile fortress, etc.

If you're asking where 'multi-leveled brick-walled underground maze with no purpose but loot' comes from, the answer is 'bad DMs.'

so where the fuck do shitposters come from? Who makes them? Why? and how?

Depends on setting.

>Who makes them?

Dungeon Masters. Duh.

Thanks.
It's pretty much what I'm planning setting-wise for the system I'm making with my friend.

>well, when a mommy and daddy dungeon love each other very much...

we already had this thread today

>If you're asking where 'multi-leveled brick-walled underground maze with no purpose but loot' comes from

Pretty much what I was asking, yeah. For those of you who have read it, I was mostly inspired to ask this by the dungeon in the 2e AD&D beginner's kit, the one with the picture in the OP on the cover. They were pretty thin paperback books, and the first four or five pages were dedicated to a short story featuring a nameless fighter who's supposed to be the player, a cleric named Aleena, and a "Chaotic" wizard named Bargle. I was wondering what the fuck possible justification for the dungeon in that story to exist could be.

have you sucked my asshole today?

Ancient complexes from dead civilizations ruined by act of god, home to criminall organisations, cults and things unwanted on the fringes of society, or simply part of subterranean dwelling species habitat/civilization

Also, Dragons.

!HaVe YoU?

Hey, I had a similar idea to that.

Dungeon cores are physical objects, and appear in the world and start to grow overtime, generating monsters and treasures in their otherworldly confines. They're kind of like anchors or holes to other worlds that open. I even thought about having the stars, planets, and other things being incredibly massive dungeons that have grown over billions of years - that without the core phenomenon, the universe would be an empty void.

Destroying the dungeon core requires a specific banishment ritual, and before the ritual can be complete, a particularly deadly monster emerges - fulfilling the "boss" trope.

Dungeons are an infection, from the elemental plane of dungeons. They spring up in quiet dark places

I also had the idea of spontaneously growing dungeons with cores that had to be destroyed. Adventurers are mercenaries that do this work when armies aren't available

Is this from something? I feel like it's odd we all had the same idea of growing dungeons spawning from cores.

Trying to hide your shit from a bunch of wandering asshats that will barge in to take it for one reason or another.

Usually their remnants of an ancient civilization highly advanced in magic.

Sounds like living dungeons from 13th Age.

There was a ecchi manga where the protag is a evil wizard and creates a dungeon with a giant mana core but I don't think anyone here knows it

i've been wanting to run a game where players are 1-2 HD monsters like kobolds or goblins or whatever. they raid human villages for loot and then bring it back to a shitty little dugout, slowly expanding the base into a proper dungeon. they leave traps and guards behind to keep annoying adventurers from stealing their shit while they're out stealing other people's shit.

dunno if my friends would want to play it, but it sounded like fun to me.