What are some ways of increasing your lifespan that don't involve lichdom, eating souls, baby sacrifices, etc...

What are some ways of increasing your lifespan that don't involve lichdom, eating souls, baby sacrifices, etc.? I find it hard to believe that in DnD, where people can literally alter reality to suit their needs, that simple aging is still some immutable inevitability.

Divine favors or outright becoming a divinity yourself.

making yourself a body and transfering your soul into it?
Or a immortality curse?
Or how about killing the god/deity of death so no one dies?

Take solution of mercury with gold and jade at least once a year. It's expensive and will drive you mad but it will tune your internal alchemy for longevity. Or eat peaches of immortality regularly, they are harmless and very juicy.

a surprising number of ways to live a damn long life and even not feel the effects of age until you keel over.

It's part of what makes sacrificing for immortality so reprehensible: there's fuckloads of ways to extend your life without harming anything but your 401k and they choose the most dickish way possible.

Impregnating the Goddess of Fertility grants greatly lengthened life.
granted the child is pretty much a demon and theres a good chance youre stuck in her realm if you do. Not to mention the hazards of entering the realm

Druids in DnD age slower and don't become feeble when they do. They aren't immortal, but they still live significantly longer than the average.
As far as I am aware, they don't do anything like eating souls or sacrificing babies, but they do fuck around in the middle of the woods doing... something.

if you have a druid friend you can also use the reincarnate spell to keep jumping into fresh bodies when you die, especially effective if you're reborn as an elf or something.

True Polymorph into your younger self B)

So far, the answers seem to range from either divine fuckery, reincarnation (which is kind of cheating for the purposes of preventing aging, guys), and one guy seems to think mercury is the answer. And I specified stop aging entirely, which means just being a druid is out; slowing aging isn't the same as stopping it entirely.

I was thinking, like, a 9th level spell, or a ring you can wear.

Hop over to a fairy glade and never come back?

THE god of death? There's, like, fifty of them. Your answer to this question is murdering dozens of deities? Yeah, 'cause no other powers in the universe would have a problem with that.

Boon of immortality.

he asked for a solution, not for a reasonable solution.

Diet and exercise.

Maybe because you are a brainlet, mortality is a big deal, it makes sense that its not something anyone that can throw a few fireballs should just easily avoid.

Clean living.

Have you tried not playing D&D?

This

>where people can literally alter reality to suit their needs,

This retarded shit needs to stop. Wizards do not "alter reality". Wizards are part of reality. The spells they cast are understood. The magic they cast is part of reality. And no- I'm not even pedantic about the meaning of "reality" and what's in it here. Magical and spell effects are innate properties of many living organisms, cultures, divine entities, and alchemy reagents. By being strong and gaining experience you can literally level up and become strong enough to absorb multiple normally fatal injuries- which is why you should always fluff HP as meat points. Magic is innately a part of reality in their world, not some separate thing.

>that simple aging is still some immutable inevitability.

This is a good thing. Immortality should be EXTREMELY rare and uncommon in a setting. The biggest way to end someone's influence is to kill them. Having a bunch of immortal assholes running around and destroying any kind of change or being unopposed isn't fun to play in, and it especially isn't fun when the DM still allows young groups of adventurers or upstart empires and such in such a setting where there are all these immortals that could stop them at any time but just don't for no reason.

As for actual answers to your question; Immortality can only be gained by an accumulation of powers, divine assistance, leveling up a lot. Most forms of immortality are either not worth it or come with serious drawbacks, or ways to get killed for good like being turned into a vampire or putting your soul into a painting. (If you ever look at the painting, you die). Most "immortals" have to do shit like infusing their essence into a book and the next person to read that book a hundred years or more from then will get possessed by that spirit to perform some task or to hang on as long as they can.

Get Gud and punch motherfuckers until you stop aging

Frankly, shitposter!user, the odds are astronomically good that the OP is in fact not playing D&D.

I'd eat the peaches but that damn tree gives me the heeby jeebies. Swear it keeps moaning for blood of virgins.

>you should always fluff HP as meat points.
I don't know why you typed the rest of your post out since this is what the thread will be about now.

Why just get a workout, it works fine in Hindu settings.

I have a transmuter that uses polymorph spells to rewrite his body into a younger form and uses that to pretty much stay at 20 forever

Easy there mate. Get outside. Strech your legs.

Becoming one with nature, and living beyond what you once were as you rise and fall with the ebb and flow of the seasons.

Just resleeve.

>putting your soul into a painting. (If you ever look at the painting, you die).
Why does looking at the painting kill you?

Science

Cloud Anchorite PrC

4e had like 50 different options there with it's Epic Destinies. Like weaving yourself into magic itself or becoming a being of pure psionic energy that's just assuming physical form etc.

>putting your soul into a painting. (If you ever look at the painting, you die)

That's not how Dorian Grey worked. Most of his most emotional scenes were actually while he was looking at the picture, it was destroying the picture that destroyed him.

Because it shows you the undeniable truth of the ages you have cheated past, and that horrible truth crushes you.

AD&D had specific mentions of how the market on potions of longevity is booming and a great way for any upcoming alchemist to fund his research.

If you commit enough fantastic deeds, the Gods will either kill you early or realise you're way too cool to have die to cholera.

Eating healthy and regular exercise.

Aging is the application of the concept of cause and effect.
Wizards can circumvent cause and effect.
With enough research, wizards can circumvent aging.
Q.E.D.

For clarity: if they can't circumvent cause and effect, they're using science, not magic.

Literally die and get to live forever in a great afterlife, free of earthly problems. But it does require you to live a virtuous life. Or at least not be an evil little shit - neutral afterlives are pretty nice too, especially the Valhalla.

how would the god of death die if there's no god of death to take the dead

Potion of Longevity. Getting your Druid friend to reincarnate you as a longer-lived race. Polymorphing into a longer-lived or immortal being, such as a genie

That's just off the top of my head - I'm sure there's plenty more.

Was going to say this

>What are some ways of increasing your lifespan that don't involve lichdom, eating souls, baby sacrifices

think about it this way, why would people do those things if there was a better way?

Just find a magical spring of healing and soak yourself in it for a whole day. People don't die of old age, they die because healing and basic bodily functions become harder when you are older. Just look at RL, at one point in time the average lifespan was 50 years. But today you have people over 100 years in age, because life in general and staying healthy is so much easier today. This is also why wizards are stereo typically portrayed as old men with long white beards. Every time their body starts to feel sore they just zap it away with a healing spell. And as a result even though every hair on their head is white and they are in their seventies they are running around with 20 year olds slaying dragons and shit.

You can slow down the aging process with Hamon breathing techniques.

Is this a JOJO REFERENCE???????

A low calorie diet high in vegetables, fibers, complex carbs and fish and low in meat and fats. Not even a vegan, just acknowledging that our diet as it is today has excessively much meat. The reason why the French, Italians and Japanese live so long is mostly diet.

Enter the service of a Fey or go into Fey lands. Just don't leave until you start to mutate and you should have added a few centuries if not virtual immortality to your character.

What does this even mean? "I posted an opinion I have, therefore I'm a no-life virgin that needs to go outside"? I wasn't even being overly angry in my post. If you can't even think of something to add to the discussion, why are you even posting?

I don't know if you're "that guy" but Wizards can't do everything in every setting. Some powers are just blocked off to them. No amount of "but they can RESEARCH" is going to change one of the laws of magic.

>I don't know if you're "that guy" but Wizards can't do everything in every setting. Some powers are just blocked off to them. No amount of "but they can RESEARCH" is going to change one of the laws of magic.

I swear it's a side effect of 3.5 being so prominent for so long. With so many splatbooks, there basically was a spell for literally everything.

>one point in time the average lifespan was 50 years

No, the AVERAGE lifespan was 50 years. As in a statistic break down of when you were likely to die, not the actual lifespan you could expect. People still lived naturally to the ripe old age of 100, like nowadays.

Not that guy, but I remember seeing a chart once about Roman mortality (can't recall where so can't provide a source sadly). Basically their average lifespan was about 40 years or something, because a huge number of Romans died of childhood diseases before reaching the age of 20. Romans who got past the age of 20 were very likely to become 60 or older though.

That's pretty much true for everywhere back then. You also had a shit ton of kids because kids were synonymous with free labor and money.

The most powerful living person in my setting is the Grand Wizard, chief advisor to the most prominent empire in the known world, who is always chosen by the previous Grand Wizard to receive the Ring of Memory. When someone puts the ring on, the previous wearer dies, if they are not already dead, and the wearer receives their memories. This most importantly includes all of their skills and wisdom.

Or at least that's how the story goes. What actually happens is that the person who wears the ring has their mind overwritten by the one who wore it last, and as such, the current Grand Wizard, as well as all of those that ever were, all the way back to the creation of the ring, were simply it's creator, hopping from body to body, over and over again, accumulating over a thousand years of magical knowledge.

Eventually sarcopenia will kill you regardless of loss of regenerative capacity.

Have you tried not being butthurt about other games you don't like?

Up until one failed and you got all those years back....at once.

Be an adventurer so hard core into adventuring you get noticed by the Elan and get turning into an ageless and difficult to kill immortal.

>This is a good thing. Immortality should be EXTREMELY rare and uncommon in a setting. The biggest way to end someone's influence is to kill them.
We aren't talking about "cannot be killed" immortality, were talking "won't die UNLESS killed" immortality. There's a BIG difference. Honestly I don't see any issue with the former being readily-available.

The word you're looking for is "invincibility"

>This is a good thing. Immortality should be EXTREMELY rare and uncommon in a setting. The biggest way to end someone's influence is to kill them.
We aren't talking about "cannot be killed" immortality, were talking "won't die UNLESS killed" immortality. There's a BIG difference. Honestly I don't see any issue with the latter being readily-available. In story terms ageless immortals are just as likely to die as anyone else, so it doesn't really change anything major about the setting. It just means that you can't realiably expect to be able to "wait out" a given threat.

I said the former when I meant the latter. Agelessness doesn't really cause any problems with the narrative. Invincibility obviously shouldn't be accessible to anyone.

>every setting
Sure, but in some they can. There was one wizard in D&D who apparently researched a spell to turn him into a God.

Immortality granted by gods
Bonding with immortal forest spirits
Vampirism (no need to kill anyone, just drinking some blood from time to time)
Alchemy
Cloning combined with soul transfer

I thought their risk wasn't so much one failing as much as they always only lasted 1d6+1 years, and as a result you were risking it if you didn't acquire one every two years.

That combined with how some settings suggested they were only known to select few groups on how to manufacture them kind of put the limiter on them.

>Grand Wizard
Assisted by the Knights of the Burning Cross?

They had a 1% chance to have them fail and you'd regain your age. So while they could keep you going for a long time, you couldn't play the numbers game forever.

Pushups, situps, and plenty of juice.

Clone
Reincarnate
Various shenanigans involving becoming either a construct, outsider, or some other form of immortal being
Divine intervention

But in general, people are SUPPOSED to grow old and die and most Good and Neutral gods and people are in favor of the natural order at least in general terms(even if they sometimes have trouble with the specifics), so most things that make you immortal or allow you to live significantly past your natural lifespan are highly questionable even if they're not evil as such.

>Or how about killing the god/deity of death so no one dies?
God of death merely oversees death, he isn't the CAUSE of death.

>For clarity: if they can't circumvent cause and effect, they're using science, not magic.
For clarity: you're a fucking idiot.

fuck you frenchie i'll have a heart attack or 4 before i give up my burgers

Wish Spell boring as that is

Just use any permanent polymorph.
Even a low level wizard with baleful polymorph could turn you into a parrot or something, 80 year lifespan, can speak, can fly, just get someone to redo the spell on you every 60 years or so, or even do it yourself.

>Because it shows you the undeniable truth of the ages you have cheated past
that would only give me a smug sense of accomplishment.

That's actually really cool, I wish my GM had plot points that unpredictable.

Well balanced diet
Lots of activity
Reading
Meditating
And laughing
That's how my fighter lived to 105 and died with a smile on his face

got it almost.
Since Fay, do not die of old age, the solution is to become a true fay.
How? Well, if i knew that my Elven Ranger would be back to where his race came from. The Fey Realms...

Why not just be an elan?

Because they're not in 5e.

>What are some ways of increasing your lifespan that don't involve lichdom, eating souls, baby sacrifices, etc.? I find it hard to believe that in DnD, where people can literally alter reality to suit their needs, that simple aging is still some immutable inevitability.

Like Raise Dead or Resurrection, "Reincarnate" cannot bring back those who died of old age.

But if you make sure to die of something else first, Reincarnate will build you a fit new body to keep living in - and if you're lucky, it's an elven body that'll last a thousand years.

biomancy

Just steal its scythe and become a god of thieves.

Excluding evil and undeath means of prolonging your inevitable death, there are several things you can use depending on edition. In PF, you can be a level 20 wizard and take the level 20 Arcane Discovery of an immortality elixir, a one time unique potion that makes you immortal. Be a level 20 Alchemist and take the Eternal Youth Grand Discovery, which gives you a potion that makes you eternally young. Be a Level 20 Time Oracle and just not die anymore. Use Wish to replicate Reincarnate, but this has issues with slowly becoming a different person each time (or at least should since it makes you a whole new body and makes your different). Use the Clone spell and remember to take lots of flesh clippings from early on in your life. Gain mythic ranks and take the Longevity ability, effectively making any class immortal.

There is also the Sun Orchid Elixir, a potion which can revert yoru age to a young adult but is incredibly rare, only 6 potions made each year and all going to auction for the highest bidders from certain countries.

The pattern that develops out of this is that to reach immortality you must be awesome and powerful, and not be weak little bitches like the lovers of undeath.

I am italian and basically eat only meat

couldn't a druid also wildshape into that one jellyfish that ages in reverse, then shift back?

I really don't get this meme.

The French eat a fuckton of meat, dude. If you're a vegetarian in Paris you're basically stuck with Lebanese restaurants.

Die a viking death and you're set

Tasmia's Heart

This elaborate, high-necked bustier is laced and lined with black silk and adorned with sapphires and beljurils. It functions as both a helm of underwater action and a ring of freedom of movement. It also extends the wearer's life span, doubling the number of years in each remaining age category of the character's life, as well as her maximum age. For example, a human adult who dons Tasmia's heart would reach middle age at 70, old age at 106, venerable age at 140, and maximum age 2d20x2 years after that. Tasmia's heart counts as a shirt for the purpose of magic item limitations.
Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, freedom of movement, water breathing, creator must be at least 10th level; Price 127,000 gp.
Source: Player's Guide to Faerûn

That's why races are completely imbalanced

I mean how the fuck is one race living 20 times more than another balanced?
If i was powergaming i'd pick an Elf every single time, except for that mage that's seriously pursuing lichdom.

I absolutely agree

That also why I hate that every single setting has all races living longer than humans because fuck you.

In my homebrew, dwarves and dragonborns have the same lifespan as humans. Elves can reach about 1.5 to double that, making an elf with 200 years of age a great elder with one foot on the grave, as it should.

I hate warhammer / tolkien elves walking around with 20000 years of age.

Well at least there is a cure for the french disease.

First thing I think of when I think of french food is duck and everything they cover in, or serve with, duck fat

Level 20 monk?

>Playable non human races

There's your problem

Hamon

>Needing cliched fantasy races that are just thinly veiled stereotypes to have "fun"
>Being so creatively bankrupt you can't make humans interesting and "fun" so you use those same cliches as a crutch