How do I replicate the thrilling intensity of turn-of-the-millenium 1337 movie hacking through game mechanics?

How do I replicate the thrilling intensity of turn-of-the-millenium 1337 movie hacking through game mechanics?

I already got hacker music so I got the ambience covered
youtube.com/watch?v=QDcrdiSNiy8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9seZGfsfZM4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe replicate enemy antihack software as actual enemies to fight? Using INT for damage instead of STR

You need to set an arbitrary time limit that you say you'll be keeping track of, they need to expend time to throw the enemy off of their tail, there should be multiple choices on what they can do to when they meet opposition, and if possible don't show the timer and say they finished the mission just within the time limit for extra style.

Do what e.y.e does and have the door you're hacking back you back if you fail.

This. I would essentially treat it like a superhero fight in the virtual world, where each "firewall" is a virtual dude/monster with unique powers that you have to defeat. And give each hacker player a virtual avatar with their own cool powers.
If they win the fight, they successfully crack the network and assume control (at least temporarily or until the corporation sends another anti-hacker). If they lose the fight, they take mental damage (temporary or permanent depending on severity), and also lose some virutal resources.

The other hard part is making sure that each person in the party has something to do during an op. You could simply give each party member a different type of hacking avatar with unique abilities. Or you could also make sure that each hack has thing to do for the social engineer character, the sneaky guy, the muscle, etc. That's pretty tough unless you're running fairly scripted missions.

>JoJo no Burauza Adventure.

More inspiration

Noice

>20lbs of pussy and ass mousepad

>How do I replicate the thrilling intensity of turn-of-the-millenium 1337 movie hacking through game mechanics?
Typically by having some metaphor where they role-play "hacking programs" that fight their way in through.... firewalls, ICE, anti-virus programs, "nodes", routers, barriers, cores, or whatever bullshit. And because people are idiots.... you still roll to attack and "damage" things.... but in cyberspace.

But can you fuck it?

Give the player an Old PC with one of those IBM "clickety" keyboards.
Open a text editor.
The player must write X differente words in Y time with a hand while spinning a pen between his/her/ùèr fingers with the other one.
Hard mode:
- Wearing sunglasses.
- While listening to 90' music.
- All the words must start with the same letter
- The player gets a score multiplier for each techno babble word he yells while typining.

now that's a good idea

Green dice on black backgrounds.

Not on a blue board.

But yes

TRON

Mandatory music
youtube.com/watch?v=9seZGfsfZM4

From a design perspective, you could have a pool of absurd terms that you smash together, and have each hack operation require certain buzzwords, therefore making hackers who roll more dice more successful.

Example Pool
>trans-
>hack
>splice
>crack
>data
>Digi
>transfer
>override
>trojan
>cache
>loop
>string
>backdoor
>CPU
>Memory
>buffer
>overflow
>code
>cyber
>web

So then I roll as a low-skill hacker. The system needs web, buffer, and overflow. On my first roll I get 14, 2, 18, so I try the CPU Hack Code, which has little effect. ETC.

If the point is to generate technobabble that is diagetically and non-diagetically meaningless, but important to efficacy, thats your best method.

You could also get every player a peripheral num-pad so they could make typing noises whenever they do stuff. That could be fun.

Alternatively, with less dice, you could simply assign a hackable system a weakness, then use the same mechanic. Players roll, generate a 1337 hakzor action, then total their roll and double any values which the system is weak to. The goal would be to whittle down the system while doing, I dont know, other stuff. You could have one-off ciphers which added a buzzword to your roll so you could dump damage once you knew what something was weak to.

heyyy that does sound pretty good