/bgg/ - Board Game General - our OC keeps evolving edition

Previous
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

So let's hear about your journey as a gamer /bgg/? What was the first game that got you into the hobby? Is it still on your shelf? How have your tastes changed?

1984 with axis and allies. It's still on the shelf, yeah. I guess my tastes have changed because I don't want to play games with "set" opening moves and that's definitely a&a. I'll still play it but I decimate people who don't know the "proper" opening moves and unit purchases for their country.

This is not OK

>going to crack on user for dismissing short playtimes
>look at the image again
Yeah that's activating my autism

I have a few years of stuff like five crowns and phase 10 where I was looking for something more in my games but I didn't know what I was looking for.

I played dominion, ttr, and Catan with different normies at different times over about three years and disliked each of them. Since I didn't like them I still didn't realize what I was missing in games.

It wasn't until I joined a brand new bg Meetup two years ago that I found real games and real, non-shit gamers among the normies.

7 wonders was the first decent game I played and the first one I bought.

7 Wonders is a game with such high replayability that in ten years I expect to be still breaking it out. The expansions are well worth it, especially Cities, which adds more Wonders and more options in the cards. The two player spinoff (7 Wonders Duel) is just as fun, if more basic and much quicker.

>Settlers of Catan
I can explain /bgg/
I picked it up on a whim literally only because I recognised the name from somewhere
Now 5 years later I can't play it without seeing the flaws
I don't have it with me at university, but I haven't sold my copy
If I was to introduce someone to board games now I'd suggest Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, ONUW or Hanabi
Has any game ever stuck to the recommended time on the box? I don't know if it's the people I'm playing with but I find games always significantly creep over it.

Timed games

Should I get this? Seems like a neat little gateway/filler game and I love the artwork and theme.

Meant to say that was probably the fastest I've received a valid answer to a question on Veeky Forums

Our games are always longer than what the box says but our game nights are pretty fun and relaxed and involve lots of talking and laughing and a bit of drinking so it's not like we are 100% focused on the game.

I'm snowed in, shitposting on /bgg/ has almost my full attention this morning.

Same with our group. For us it's more about spending time together than winning. Nobody is ever overly serious when it comes to the game. We usually play 7 Wonders or Agricola, but of the dozens of games I own probably half are American. One of the most outrageous fun times we had was playing Talisman with four expansions. Very simple game, and almost no strategy, but our group loves just seeing the outcome and the weird shit that can happen. Another one that works great for that kind of relaxed "see how screwed we get" feeling is DungeonQuest.

We used to play Talisman a lot many years ago but it always took like 3 hours and that for a game that felt like Monopoly with a fantasy paintjob. Haven't played it in a long time and don't plan on ever playing it again. I don't get anything out of it.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it as a problem, but I've definitely noticed that unless time is a key element of the game (racing games, Patchwork) games always run past it

We haven't played in a long time. Initially my wide got it just because we like the fantasy tropes and the "adventure in a box" idea (this was years ago), and she wanted to paint the minis. You're right about it being a very long game. We house ruled out a lot of the low level monsters and whatnot, and sped up the leveling. Typically in our group of four we'll do 7 Wonders, Five Tribes, Castles of the Mad King Ludwig (our friends picked up Palaces recently, though we haven't tried it yet), or Rummikub if we want quick. The heavier games in my collection haven't seen play yet - Caverna, Terra Mystica, TI3 with both expansions, etc. Hoping to break that last one out soon.

>wide
Good thing she doesn't browse Veeky Forums.

My parents wanted something to keep me busy but also not be video games. So my ma enrolled me in like an afterschool chess club when i was in grade 2.

Yeah, chess is still there, but nobody will play me. I'm not great (rated 1800 at my highest 15 years ago, 1580 when i let the card expire), but better than my friends. Now I haven't even played it in like 7 years so i'm probably rusty as fuck.

I still love the heavy strategy games with little to no luck the best, but I also like games that are essentially all luck based like SPANC.

If you are usually a group of four I would heartily recommend The Voyages of Marco Polo.

shill

How do you feel about chess variant games like pic related?

Where at? Supposed to get 5" but only ice in the trees here. I'm in for the opposite reason.

That one actually looks pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of it before, thanks for the recommendation. I've got a great track record with Z Man.

I'm going to go out here and say hopefully the reason you rightfully haven't heard of it is because it's pretty mediocre despite people shilling for it. However it frequently gets free passes precisely because it looks shiny with colourful artwork.

> playing a game where you have to be rated to find relevant challenge
> playing a game where you get rusty

I've never understood chess as fun.

>it's pretty mediocre
What is

Mid-Michigan; it's only been like 8-12" in the last few days but I'm outside the suburbs and my country road doesn't get plowed for a couple days after a storm.

>However it frequently gets free passes precisely because it looks shiny with colourful artwork.

Where did you get that impression? All the positive reviews praise it for the excellent gemplay.

gameplay*

Haven't played many, but usually they are fun. The problem with heavy strategy games are you need to focus on them for extended periods to really see how the game works, and i've never played any variant more than a couple times.

I can see that sentiment. It's like any competitive field though. I imagine you went to a carcassone tournament or a ticket to ride tournament you would see the same kinds of players that play chess. It's not for everyone, but sometime competition is the reason to play. I don't have the right mindset to be great. Just competing makes me happy, not the win, nor being the best.

Free passes from normies who basically don't know any better. If we're talking positive reviews from 'actual reviewers' I think we've previously established that they would grab their ankles at the first opportunity.

All I get from your comment is that everybody who disagrees with you is either clueless or a shill.

This is frequently the case yes.

Could you try to be a little less clear about what the fuck you're talking about in the future. These posts are almost intelligible.

I apologise that you're basically retarded with zero comprehension of the English language.

>Should I get this?
What you should do is learn to think for yourself like an adult.

Nah, there are about as many decisions to make in Marco Polo as there are in Talisman. You roll the dice then do what the dice tell you to. People hype it up on places like redit because they like simple games. Don't debase yourself. Do some real research and find a quality game if you're trying to get into serious games.

Just switched to full time, became a "full employee" with benefits and all that fun shit, and it turns out I have enough income to comfortably spend about $50/month on building up a board game collection.

What all do I need to take into account if I want to get games that will actually make it to the table and we'll continue to enjoy for a while?

Every faggot reviewer told me Gloomhaven maps are 30-60 minutes which is utter bullshit. I'm nearly 100 hours into this game and have only seen short maps way later with insanely high level and overgeared characters.

I absolutely hate when people lie about playing time. I usually end up thinking I'm retarded for 2+ hours.

>responding with only an image because there are no intelligent words you could use to defend your nonsensical opinion

Don't go for fotm hot garbage. Until you've got about a year of playing and purchases behind you, you going to buy crap if you follow the herd of garbage consuming sheep. Go for games that have been out for at least a couple of years so you can get a fully rounded view from reviews/playthroughs/comments etc. Don't worry, you're not going to miss out on anything special if you don't buy Kickscammer plastics pusher #329.

It is though. You roll the dice and there is always an obviously correct thing to do with them. Playing that game alone is no different than playing with other people. It was designed to appeal to the same people who enjoy Yahtzee.

Stop believing reviewers. This is great advice for any form of media, not just board games. Reviews are commercials. They told you what they thought you wanted to hear so you'd buy the product so their review is beneficial for the industry because the healthier the industry is the better off their show is.

>> playing a game where you have to be rated to find relevant challenge
>> playing a game where you get rusty
That's every game ever made, you moron.

(Except Snakes'n'Ladders, except it's not really a game.)

P.S. That said, yes, too much chess strategy is based on pure memorization, which isn't fun.

He's right. Just play Great Western Trail instead.

Same general idea except better in every way.

dont get memed. theres just one guy here who tirelessly shills marco polo because he thinks its funny to do so.

>What all do I need to take into account if I want to get games that will actually make it to the table and we'll continue to enjoy for a while?
Highly rated games often suck. Many times an obscure game is better in every way than its highly rated and super popular analogue.

Find a local convention (we're talking the $0-$40 type for a weekend 200-2000 people); there's loads, everywhere, all year long, and they tend to be run by local gaming groups that have existed for reasonably long time. Go and sign up for any demos you can, playtest everything, and talk to the people running the events. Ask about where they have weekly game days, partnerships with any retailers, is there another con in the area. DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED IT; if you walk out of the game saying "yeah it was good" it's a pass, buy what you were excited about at the end of the session.

If you're using online resources, don't use the BGG ratings, they've been inaccurate for years now. Look at the # of ratings, if it's got more than 20k, that's going to have more accuracy because it's not just the hype train or KS backers. You will find a LOT more value in the 6-7.5 rated games than anywhere else. The geekbuddy feature is highly underrated; if someone's taste is alike to yours, hit them with it so you can find more titles. KEEP DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH

If you're using a place like /bgg/ and user is shilling something, don't trust them unless they're willing to go full autism on a game AND POINT OUT IT'S FLAWS. ALL OF THEM, AND BE NITPICKY.

Good advice, don't worry about FOMO idiocy, if it's good it'll get another print run, if it's very good it'll get a 2E. If it sucks you've wasted time and money, and unlike a classic game you might grow out of, it'll have less value on the secondary market. Which reminds me
>MATH TRADES
Save every single freebie you get, from a cheap promo at a con, to gamenight kits at your LGS. Bundle them and trade for a game you want, or trade away something you don't enjoy or play as much anymore.

theres so much confirmation bias after each KS release, like that Dinosaur Island game is pretty much a disappointment but people still are in denial

Yup, I'm at the point where I have 0 interest in the games coming out each year (unless something's a reprint/2e). Instead I go to cons looking for titles at least 12-18 months old; and test those. The volunteer leading the demo will be more honest usually, and they're cheaper/easier to get into, you'll also know if the company has abandoned the product or plans to support it for a while. There's so many good games releasing every year, why waste time on the new when you're sure to have missed one in the past that isn't at 200% markup? Besides, shelf space isn't infinite, might as well make sure each box I buy is something I'm going to want to hang onto for a long time.

I hate to say it, but probably Munchkin and Red Dragon Inn when my regular rpg night fell through. Anywho, I got to go one of my regular meetups today:

>Star Realms: Colony Wars
I'd forgotten how fun this game could be with another human being

>Steam Works
I just find this game a bit too fiddly, but everyone else enjoyed it so I guess I'm just dumb

>Between Two Cities
Holy SHIT the scoring system in this is amazing, and not just because I won by a whisker

Who here plays Scrabble? What do you think about it?

I play in tournaments, and it's nothing but old folks and socially awkward middle-aged men.

Rate my collection, nerds.

A man of quality taste.

Also, MAGA

Where can I buy Kemet from Europe?
Game looks out of stock everywhere I check.

Check the publisher, matagot.com

>bought skull instead of having your own copy made from coasters you collected traveling
>buying coup at all
Sad investments/10
>Istanbul, TS, War of the Ring, Survive
I'd still play with you, or grab a beer and watch a Trump rally

coup with the expansion is a great filler, inquisitor stops the duke claiming and the alliances makes it more fun

Yeah, I can tell that image seems to be the only thing that matters when it comes to KS. Honestly, the only upcoming game I'm excited about is Rising 5, and it has zero miniatures, just a few cubes and some standees, tiles, and cards. Reading about the gameplay makes it seem like the kind of thing that would make my brain feel good to play solo or with others.

Beyond that, I'm looking at Neuroshima Hex (played a friend's copy a few times and loved it), and I want to try Fury of Dracula and Kemet and try some various 4x games and coop dungeon crawly games.

Does this taper off over time? That is, is a game that's rated 8.8 and has been out for five years pretty safe?

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some friends I'm likely to game with to come too. Seems like another potential hangup would be if one person loves it and everyone else thinks it's shitgarbage.

I found Red Dragon Inn pretty meh, but I can't help thinking it'd be a lot of fun with a few close friends if you made it an actual drinking game while you played.

>Secret Hitler
>Twilight Struggle
damn you got memed hard
>Imperial 2030
why the casual version?
Besides that, pretty sweet

So I have to throw extra money at it to make it appealing to me? That's why it's a sad investment, I want the full game in the base box at a price reasonable for what it is. Coup is a barebones bluffing game, and that's fine if it's your style, but I think the production blinds people to it. I'll play it if someone is desperate to try it out, but I tried it during the final stage when Travis was trying to shill the KS at Gencon; with printer paper components and pennies it had 0 appeal to my wallet.

>if one person loves it and everyone else thinks it's shitgarbage.
This is why you find local cons; if there's a game you love that everyone hates, go and run it as an event. That way at least you'll get a couple sessions in each year.

>is a game that's rated
Don't pay attention to the ratings on board game geek. Play games and buy ones you like that will get played amongst your groups.

>, I want the full game in the base box at a price reasonable for what it is.

Your obviously in the wrong hobby.

The ratings aren't safe over time because people don't go back and adjust their ratings often (too much work) so turkeys will maintain that high initial score.

It certainly feels like that sometimes, but there's plenty of games that do it, hell user had more than a few on his shelf. Expansions are fine, they should just be MORE of a game, rather than needing it to not suck.

Survive
Twilight struggle
Game of thrones
Secret hitler

Those are the games I would play
Everything else I would pass on
But even those games I’m interested in I wouldn’t want to play with you, being a racist and all- not a fun game night.

>Who here plays Scrabble?

Not me...

>What do you think about it?

It's literally 'memorize the dictionary of high scoring words' the game.

>I play in tournaments, and it's nothing but old folks and socially awkward middle-aged men.

And this surprises you how? (See point #2 above.)

What would you consider the best (not necessarily the most obvious) "gamer's game" replacement for classic mass market games like Risk, Monopoly, Clue, etc.?

I can't tell how close your neighbors are, but that looks like good Deer hunting terrain. (And nice pic.)

Kemet
Imperial
Stone Age
Nevermore
If you can't teach these to normies it's your fault

Which one corresponds to what game?

By the time you've done enough research to decide if you want one or more of these, the answer will be apparent.

Village or Istanbul are good economic games where you don't push or attack the other players. It also teaches people how to play euro games.

So I'm looking for something to play solo. I tried the following games:

>Pandemic

Loved it. My best solo experience so far.

>Eldritch Horror

The game is fun but not when solo. Too much work, and all the bad things that happen to you are better when you have someone to share the misery with.

>Elder Sign

Meh. I felt like I was mindlessly rolling dice a lot fo the time.

>Lord of the Rings LCG

Liked it, but it often felt like some games were lost at the first few flips of the encounter deck.

What do you recommend?

Asked about Gloomhaven yesterday and ended up picking it up today from the local shop. Do you guys keep your insert? I usually trash it in every single game and just bag everything myself, and there is no way everything will fit back in the box with it.

Gloomhave NEEDS an aftermarket insert. Get one.

Did anybody here Kickstart Rising 5: Runes of Asteros?

I need honest reviews to help me decide whether to get it when it comes out.

DEATH ANGEL CARD GAME
E
A
T
H

A
N
G
E
L

C
A
R
D

G
A
M
E

To be fair. I played Star Realms via the app about a year after the kickstarter happened, and I fell in love with that game. My nephew finds Exploding Kittens absolutely hilarious and I've been tempted to grab a physical version because it actually is pretty fun to play and real easy to explain.
So I feel Kickstarter stuff has had as many good games as bad ones come out of it.

Yeah we can play but hot damn do you need more Uwe Rosenberg

What do you think of the idea of a cooperative heist game that's basically in the style of a dungeon crawl in that each player has powers and you're traveling on a tile-based board, but instead of combat you have line-of-sight based mechanics and (card-driven) AI behaves in a probabilistic way?

It could be scenario-based, with the layout of the board ahead of time being a kind of "this is what you know going in," and then tiles shuffled and placed face-down on certain points. Then players select which entrance they want to use, and then the tiles are flipped and security guards and such placed in the spot that was occupied by their corresponding tile.

I know that it's going to depend in very large part on execution, but does it sound cool thematically?

Good luck finding a copy under $60 though

Rosenberg is becoming the Eric Lang of eurogames, just pumping out rethemed, rehashed mashups of his other games.

Is there a board game that plays a bit like the videogame FTL?
I love the idea of racing through space, building a ship up that you then battle other ships with. Getting into scenarios that can help or hinder. Managing resources to not die along the way.
Imagine a multiplayer race to the finish style game in FTL's style. You each picking different nodes on the path, setting traps for each other, or leaving gifts behind for them to collect if its co-op.
Different starting ship types with unique capabilities, radomised map tiles you lay in sequence when a player gets to the end.
In versus i think it would be cool to either race to beat the boss first or race to tye end to fight each other, the one getting there first getting first dibs on resources.

>people forgetting the BGG marketplace exists
I suppose it depends where you are but there's copies in Krautland for €12, and a copy in the states for $30. Hell there's several ebay copies for reasonable prices, and even if there wasn't with board games it's a waiting game to find the right copy for the price.

I'll give you Caverna is Agricola without the cards. But enlighten me what is Fields of Arle a rethemed, rehashed mashup of.
What is the rethemed mashup in Odin ?
Nusfjord ?

Galaxy Trucker but there's no pvp combat.
Xia, but it's a sandbox game where you do whatever you feel like.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

What's a good deduction game of about an hour that's either fully cooperative or fully competitive rather than all vs. one?

Mysterium

Anyone here played the original? Thinking about backing the second edition.

Oh look, a multiplayer solitaire worker placement game where you have to farm stuff and collect resources to build shit on your plot of land and avoid starvation to get points off a large number of categories, how innovative! Oh wait, now you can do all of the above while playing tetris!

Well, that's pretty.

What the shit is it?

Consulting Detective or the C'thulu edition maybe?

>played the original
>doesn't name the game
Gonna need more than that to help shill it user

How do you get started making a board game? When do I start prototyping?

If I have a theme in mind from the beginning, how do I make my game's mechanics fit the theme without feeling clunky?

I know designing a board game is a challenge, but I feel like there must be a book or something where someone kind of gives the basic process. God knows there are plenty about video games.

There's a few designers that have podcasts that come to mind, and several who blog about it, but book isn't coming to mind. I've seen the topic on BGG before though, so I guarantee they've got answers

I see.
I'm sorry you never got to play any of those games but I am sure you are a blast to have around during game night.
When the pizzas come do you also complain that they are all just rehashed round dough with different shit on top ?