How does your setting's sedentary people deal with the invading nomadic hordes?

How does your setting's sedentary people deal with the invading nomadic hordes?

Train the people to become archers to snipe them.

They dig deep dungeons in the ground and hide there to live in fear and breed in squalor until they, too, become the very monstrosities they sought to escape. Those few that dare to leave their isolated bolt-holes to battle for their lives on the unforgiving surface are known as adventurers.

>Grimdark fantasy
>Most cities prepared and built with sieges in mind.
>Populations in cities very religious and hard to crack.
>Squalid living conditions make them practically immune to corpse bombing
>Being outside the city walls after dark is practically asking to be eaten by swamp monsters.
They can go ahead and try.

Boats.

So they ran from mole people and became mole people?

FROM THE FUTURE!

as innawoods
so unnaground

They turn to their local gods. There are perks to living in the shadow of a great dragon's aerie, and it's times like this that make the monthly virgin sacrifice worth it.

>Nomads harass and loot caravans, burn the fields, try to poison the river waters.

The waters already poison.
Anything living in there is not gonna feel a thing except angry that something tried to poison it.

Are wells poisoned too, by the vile creatures living underground?

In my setting the chief distinction between civilized and savage creatures is the question of cannibalism, and a quick Google search pulled up pic related, so you appear to be correct.

No wells
The city is surrounded by a swamp, the people live on fish and swamp plants
making things eatable/drinkable is what-they-do and the swamp monsters will not take kindly to being poisoned.

Cool that not the first time I've guessed right about someone's setting.

Each culture has its own method.
Some live on hills and inside mountains.
Some just pay off the tribes and run to their walled cities and boats if that doesn't work. They have colonies that provide grain.
Others build armies with many archers and machines of war and hide behind armored wagons. The hordes just ignore their armies and loot things.
Another purchases the loyalty of the tribes who live closest to them and turns them on the others.

The way the Russians did. Surprise attacks and developing better weapons.

They build a powerful state with no internal conflict so it's piss easy for them to destroy and ravage the puny nomads. When unable to do that, they allow the nomads to invade so they drop their savage ways and are now in charge of defending the civilization and ravage puny nomad fags.

Good walls, well paid and we'll trained soldiers, and access to horses that aren't na step above ponies.

I pity this girl

When will this horse archer meme die?

guns spook horses pretty good

My setting is on a relatively small island. They mostly have to worry about the occasional pirate or not-viking raid, but getting to said island is enough of a pain in the ass only the most dedicated even try.

>How does your setting's sedentary people deal with the invading nomadic hordes?

Rifles, artillery, winter campaigns, the usual.

>''Welcome to the jungle steppe nigger''

They tried, but it utterly failed 100 years ago. Now nomads are fully integrated into their lives as a ruling caste.
But, technically, these nomads was not exactly a nomads, but a refugees from another world, and armed with firearms, so I don’t know if it counts.

I made my own version of orcs that are steppe/highland-dwelling nomads. They're divided up into little tribes, which are occasionally united by a particularly brutal khagan that then invades the human realm.

The Empire played the clans against themselves, then swooped in. However, when the empire started showing weakness, the nomads rallied again and reasserted their dominance on the steppes.

would let her live in my dungeon

My sedentary nation elected Donald Trump to save us from the nomadic hordes. I gotta admit, none have bothered me since he was elected.

The halflings open up the gates, welcoming their latest overlords. Always smiling.
They provide them with all the food, service, and entertainment(bloody or otherwise) they didn't know they wanted. Always smiling.
They anticipate their needs and wants. Always smiling.
They smile as a barbarian backhands a child that was too slow to get out of his way. The child doesn't cry, he just smiles.

The horde either runs away from the creepy crazy stepford smiling village, burns it to the ground, or remain in their paradise -until the local government sends a task force to easily dispatch the fattened barbarians. In all cases, the halflings keep on smiling.
You'd be surprised how high the survival rate among them is.

Historically Russians were just Golden Horde's bitches for centuries until political instabilities let them break away, almost entire by luck?

Reminds me to what the jew did with the Moors in Spain.

Explain

Die or join them. The local Khan love multiculturality, as long as everyone's obeying her. If they refuse the offer, kill them and try their neighbour. That's in part why her army is called the Mongrel Horde, after all. Lots of different folk, united under one banner with the idea that they'll all march South and find better lands.

Once they're South, though, they'll have to face a better resistance from angry gnomes. Gnome druids who have elementals, fey and all that jazz.

They opened the cities doors in nearly all the cities they lived to the Moors, it's one of the motives they where so hated for the population.

It's very possible that the Chinese Song would have survived in the south had they not colossally fucked their last ever naval battle against the mongs

Turns out that the best way to keep northern light cavalry-loving barbarians away from the empire was to get the closest communities fitting that description to become part of them. Failing that, call the dromedary-loving barbarians, the river warfare-loving freemen and the camel- and elephant-loving freemen from the other corners.

Historically Rus were Mongol bitches because their succession laws were utterly fucked up. Any time a Great Knyaz died, the entire eastern Europe devolved to fratricidal sity-state clusterfuck, until there was a great Great Knyaz once again. To the point that instead and while fighting mongols most knyazs were preoccupied with backstabbing each other - even after being conquered.

The campaign setting is Assholia. You know what nomadic hordes are classed as in Assholia? Dinner, man and horse both.

And if they could get in then the hordes of Assholia can get out!

Time to ready the Deep Crows, prime the exploding goats, sharpen the rape-iron blades, saddle up the Cazaclaws and let loose the dickwolves of war!

This is not an invasion, this is lunchtime.

In my setting the nomads played on the tribes (more like noble house with an ethnic component) against themselves. But when they started the invasion and crashed the capital, the population rallied under the flag of the last representative of the house that had the capital and repealed the invaders because of ancient knowledge that he brought with him.