I've got this headcanon going that one of the Lost Primarchs is the Hive Mind... Any thoughts?

I've got this headcanon going that one of the Lost Primarchs is the Hive Mind... Any thoughts?

I really like the idea that one of the Primarchs isn't part of the Imperium or Chaos. The Xenos need one too!

Other urls found in this thread:

bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285838-the-lost-and-forgotten-building-the-ii-legion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The lost primarchs are ambiguous so they can be Your Dudes™

This doesn't make any sense

Would you care to explain how this works? Not knocking you, but it doesn't make sense to me. What's your reasoning?

Ya know, everybody always says this, and nobody ever actually does anything with it. Any time someone even brings it up, they're always called (not exactly wrongfully so) special snowflakes. That may have been their original intended purpose, but they're referenced in such a way now that makes it impossible to do anything with them that doesn't require a giant shoehorn to fit it into the setting.

The way I see it, the lost primarchs had to stay lost for some reason or another. Each of them were stranded on planets by the Chaos Gods, so, why wouldn't one of the CGs try to mold a primachs into a weapon? So, they put one on a planet full of tiny microorganisms, and leave him to his devices with these organisms.

I'd probably depict this primarch as a very powerful psycher, but, his gene-seed was oddly defected so that his body wasn't entirely strong. So, he forged himself an army of living creatures with which he could protect himself with. He saw the universe and shuttered, so afraid of what might be out there in the stars that he had to understand it, and possibly destroy it. So, he made the Tyrnaid hive fleets, and he uses his psychic abilities to command them.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H. P. Lovecraft

Ehhh, I'm not buying it.
Almost every piece of fluff about the missing primarchs implies that they were purged. Them and the legions they spawned both. It's not like they would have just completely wiped out their legions and removed them from history just because they couldn't find the primarchs.

The lost primarchs WERE ambiguous so they could be your dudes.
This was in the era of Rogue Trader, where primarchs were poorly-understood founding fathers of the chapters, back when space marines were regular humans who required field policing. Over time, the legends surrounding primarchs and space marines slowly became canon, but a few older tidbits hung on.
BL NOT going into great detail about them in the HH series actually cemented them as something so sacred now, not even BL would fuck with it, and they're planning on fucking up the duel between the Emperor and Horus, so that fucking means something.

Anyway, it's mostly implied that the lost primarchs were both lost to xenos sympathizing, as most of the evidence points to them having been killed by russ during the great crusade, and their legions reintegrated into the ultramarines. Sure, they were probably chaos xenos, there didn't seem to be any other sort as far as the horus heresy series is concerned, but I'd say it would be by no means unreasonable.

I mean, the most reasonable theory is that Russ is the thing the hive mind is scared of, but this can fit in.

What? No. That's dumb, you're dumb. Quoting lovecraft doesn't make it any less dumb, in matter of fact it may actually INCREASE the dumbness value, pushing it over the threshold of what any sane man should be able to output and into regions that lie just below Timecube territory.

But what if we introduced time travel to the mix. That would fix everything!

My response to your criticism is Gary Busey.

He doesn't necessarily still have to be a human. He could be a being molded into his own creation, becoming just as much of a tyrnaid as he is a human. I imagine him in a massive floating sphere of biomass, enveloped within it somewhere in the universe, desensitized to every feeling, encompassed by nothing but his psyche controlling the Tyranids.

Again, we're left with the question: in what way does this make sense?

I'm sorry user, I'm not ripping on you here, but this is a really stupid idea.

Well, I'm not quite understanding what you mean. These two Lost Primarchs and the Hive Mind have nothing but theory surrounding them, so, am I missing something?

Thanks for actually encouraging conversation on the topic, though. I enjoy a good talk. Good on ya user.

Since when is 40k supposed to make sense?

Well, for a start, yes, it's heavily implied Russ killed them. They were definitely found, they definitely made mistakes that caused them to fall out of the emperor's favour, and Gullyman knew both. They weren't lost as in never found, or gone missing, they're lost to history, as in expunged from all official records. They're the nameless king/sun's firstborn from Dark Souls.
Second, the hivemind is a literal hivemind, starcraft has poisoned your perception user, the tyranids don't have a giant brain somewhere sending information to everything, it's all the little brains connected that make one big one. The bigger creatures literally form SYNAPSES connecting all the brains together.
And then there's the fact that no other primarch has suffered a fate like that? Even the really demony ones are just big guys 4 u, none are a sentient blob of warp energy.

And then you have the question of how the fuck did he get out there, controlling the tyranids, in the first place? Warp travel doesn't work in intergalactic space, and tyranids take forever to get from A to B.

Overall, it's not a great idea user.

It's hinted that XI might be Malal, but, it's loose. Point is, the Lost Primarchs are open books.

Well, if I'm describing Starcraft, it's by coincidence. I don't play video games.

Well, if it's a flawed idea, I'll just have to fill in some blanks and chip off the bad bits. Storytelling is all about crossing out the wrong and replacing it with something that sounds better.

Maybe it shouldn't be a lost Primarch, but, some other entity. I'll have to play around with it. Any ideas?

C'tan shard? Full-blown C'tan?
That'd work pretty perfectly.

What are you even using this for?

Perhaps it's not stupid enough.
Quick, say that the Hive Mind exists in the warp, and that Tyranids are the physical reflections of the Hive Mind's emotions. That way we can say that the bigger and larger Tyranids are manifestations of the Hive Mind's biggest fetishes.
This way the idea is so utterly retarded, but it makes it Magical Realm, so it's guaranteed to be successful.
Also, giantess fetish.

A tyranid army. I got interested in the Hive Mind and the idea of a Lost Primarch turning to the xenos kinda compelled me. In hindsight, it was a little too ambitious.

I suppose a C'tan could work. That'd be one strange C'tan though. A C'tan who possessed some creatures to go out and do all the eating for it, upon hearing about the demise of its fellow C'tan to the necrons, perhaps?

>Ya know, everybody always says this, and nobody ever actually does anything with it.
This guy and a host of others would disagree with you. A bit old perhaps but still relevant:
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285838-the-lost-and-forgotten-building-the-ii-legion/

>they're referenced in such a way now that makes it impossible to do anything with them that doesn't require a giant shoehorn to fit it into the setting.
I see no evidence of this.

>A tyranid army.
But, like, what? You want to write up lore about a giant blob of gristle controlling the entire tyranid swarm so you can have some background for your 180 hormagaunts? How would this impact your army in any way, or are you planning on autistically dumping all this lore on your opponents over your games? That sounds pretty painful user. Are you just going to fluff a hierophant as this? Then why go all stupid-fanfiction with it Being the hivemind? It'd make a lot more sense for the nids to have just eaten something really powerful and this is what they made.

Just, think about it user.

ur a retarded

>I see no evidence of this.
Read beginning of
BL hasn't gone all-out on them, but they have hinted enough that while we don't know specifics about them or their betrayals, we know enough, from whispered conversations between the primarchs.

>How would this impact your army in any way, or are you planning on autistically dumping all this lore on your opponents over your games? That sounds pretty painful user.

Nope. I just like making up stories, and this one came to me.

And a Gary Busey for you too.

the Primarch doesn't have to necessarily be the hive mind. he could have just made the tyranids and then set them loose with the same intention you mentioned, op

What if the lost primarch is just Xeno?

>How would this impact your army in any way
Check this out:

Genestealers, in Ultramarine colors. With bolters. And pauldrons.