GM: For my next D&D campaign you can only be humans and no magical classes

>GM: For my next D&D campaign you can only be humans and no magical classes
Is this OK?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/194341/The-Alchemist-5e-Class-w--4-Archetypes
1d4chan.org/wiki/CoDzilla
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the edition and the setting. Also, if you want a low fantasy humans onky fantasy game, have you tried not playing D&D?

>DnD
>No magical classes

You're literally making 80% of the game's content unplayable.
Plus wizards are the only ones that truly break the game with magic.

If you don't like it then you don't have to play.

>What is CoDzilla

my players pretty much refuse to learn new systems
none of them even like wizards. Besides, spells hamper players natural ability to plan. Why set up a trap for the monster when you can just blast it with fireballs?

>Allowing multiclassing ever.
You have only yourself to blame.

Newfag.

>my players pretty much refuse to learn new systems

Then don't give them a game. You don't train an animal by rewarding by bad behavior.

I don't see why not.

No. If he wants a game like that, he shouldn't be using D&D.

you know what happens then? no game.
no, there is no one else to play with.

Lurk moar

Whatever you need to tell yourself to convince yourself to play a game you obviously hate and aren't having fun with.

Better than a bad game, user. Besides, you have the internet. Finding new players online is trivially easy.

This is the new Veeky Forums.

Like a GM would have trouble finding players, ever. I could get out the door and find three full parties before next Sunday.

It's half the fault of new DnD too. Older editions were broken, sure, but at least then you could make almost ANYTHING broken so it was sorta balanced.

Only a very special breed of fag will enforce human only.
If I cant play as a gnome I wont play at all.

...what the fuck does that have to do with CoDzilla?

>Plays gnomes
>Calls others fags

>If I cant play as a gnome I wont play at all.
And nothing of value was lost.

I'd rather play a game other than D&D for that. I mean, more so than I'd rather play a game other than D&D for what D&D usually does.

CoDzilla has nothing to do with multiclassing. It doesn't even have anything to do with creativity. It's just playing some classes straight from the book.
Thinking that only wizards are a problem is ignorance.

Ask the person who mentioned CoDzilla in the first place, not me.

...No, no, the post I linked to was the first one to mention multiclassing

The GM would likely need to approve or create some non-magical classes with special abilities for variety and more problem solving approaches - alchemists, healers, nobles, performers, investigators and the like.

>trying to damage control
>still doesn't know what CoDzilla is

The first time you could have been forgiven, but now you've had all the time to google it, you little faggot.

Its an Adventures in Middle Earth episode.

Would play and have a great time/10

>Middle earth
>all humans
>no magic

I think we've read different books.

at that point you might as well refluff the magic classes. make clerics plague doctors and wizards fake magicians with many tricks

come to think of it, is there any alchemist class for 5e yet?

It's not quite as straightforward, since some things are hard to refluff as non-magical.

Chugging down alchemical potions with buffs, crafting healing salves, throwing around exploding flasks with various effects, or constructing a flame-thrower? Yeah, that works.

>Me: Sorry, that doesn't sound very fun to me. Give me a call when you guys start up the next campaign.

Alternatively, I'd just play a human warblade. And probably pout.

Idunno, it could be really fun to try and justify all your spells as tricks.

quick googling: dmsguild.com/product/194341/The-Alchemist-5e-Class-w--4-Archetypes
anyone tried this?

Honestly, the premise could be fun, if it was a game designed around that.
If this is going to be in D&D, tho, why bother?

For the players. It doesn't mean there aren't non-humans or magic in the whole setting.

I have never seen non-human PC's adding anything to the game. It is always just about getting that +2 to a stat

>Besides, spells hamper players natural ability to plan. Why set up a trap for the monster when you can just blast it with fireballs?

D&D works best when you prevent your party from always resting and having multiple encounters a day. Drain them of their resources (spell slots) or force them to use traps rather than fireballs because they are going to want to save those fireballs for the harder encounter at the end.

When you make your sessions, plan them around your party and setting. Throwing away rules because you can't plan around them is retarded.

Sure, give us different human cultures/tribes then, with each having unique perks.

Oh you are new here right ? Just go on 1d4chan on CoDzilla . It's not Cleric + Druid, it's Cleric OR Druid

>Ask the person who mentioned CoDzilla in the first place, not me.

No we're asking you why you think multiclassing is a relevant part of the discussion when nobody else thinks so.

I mean sure, you are allowed to run whatever you want to run, but personally I'd think playing a different system is more advisable then.

D&D is a bit sucky of there is no wizard-cleric-rogue-warrior trinity in the players, and a bit bland if the thing that gives 30% of the character (namely the race) is locked in already.

>Besides, weapons hamper players natural ability to plan. Why set up a trap for the monster when you can just stab it with swords?

Because swords are a part of D&D and a major part of why I play, if you cut out swords you might as well be playing Ars Magica or some other game that focuses more on spells and less on the parts you want to cut away.

I'd rather fight the the multiclassing, magical, divine, non-human, chosen by their god menace than become one....with a human fighter.

Seriously, I was in a party where everyone else played like that we were playing the Tomb of Horrors. Basically everyone was flying and had an on reaction teleport each time a trap was triggered. The game was broken, no one died and the party defeated the purpose and the moral lesson that is the Tomb of Horrors.

Dont be surprised when players are unhappy with this.

It's like playing a cyberpunk campaign without cyborgs, hackers, and guns. Or playing a horror campaign with only overpowered characters allowed.

>If I cant play as a gnome I wont play at all.
You know where the door is.

It's even worse.

Yeah. Games like Gothic, the withcer and castlevania would be better if you could play a half-orc

Why would you play those *in D&D*?

>Sure, but I'll pass. I felt like playing a Druid next game.
[conflict averted]

Why set up a trap for the monster when you're not trained in trapmaking or stealth when you can just riddle it with arrows?

because then the monster runs you down and bites your dick?

>hey guys, look at all the cool shit in the world.
>No, you don't get to play with it, only me.

>Warblade
>Slade armor
>Slade shield.
>Slade long-reach weapon
>Mage slayer, Shield Ward feats
>Walking, nonmagical deadmagic field

Come at me, motherfuckers.

>D&D
>no magic
yeah, nah, he a cunt. lemme guess, he also wants to start at lv1 and probably thinks 25pb is acceptable.

I'm not going to play DnD without 90% of content, and I'm pretty sure most people won't do that as well. You have to come up with a better system for your idea.

Pathetic post on so many levels.
1) PnP RPGs are not vidya, people play them to have a CHOICE of who and what you play, the choice is part of the fun. I'd play a fucking e*f in Witcher setting anyday.
2) If you're comparing shit to vidya (literally kill yourself for that, by the way), then when you reformulate your sentence like this: "games like gothic, the witcher, and castlevania would be better if you could play an infinite roster of cool characters of different classes and races you can fully customize who could have long dramatic storylines", it would be absolutely correct.
3) There is a certain appeal in playing weak-sauce humans in a world of magic and monsters, but people usually play D&D to be heroic. They also expect a certain range of options (at least from PHB) to be in the game by default. If you're going to deny them more than half of the core material, why not just play another system?

Haha woooow. You're THAT new? Is it summer already?

>Alchemist
>"It's not a fireball. It's alchemical fire!"
>Makes high level thrown weapons
>"I'm nerfing alchemy Veeky Forums. Help

If this is D&D.

You will need to make scrolls, wands, staves and such usable by anyone and provide them as regular loot to overcome the system's magic dependency.

In 5e, which has reusable wands and staves, you can provide one of those or one magic weapon per player character, but scrolls should be coming in at about one to three per encounter (These are in total and not per player). This would imitate the system's assumptions for magic availability.

Depends on the edition, but in general this is a terrible idea. D&D does not do low fantasy well

I don't understand this. Is the purpose to try and get your players to use traps and strategy? If so you're going about it in a way that will most likely frustrate them

How about human PCs and everyone is magical?
Magical fighter
Magical thief
Magical mage.

Heroquest and Runequest) Mythras do that.

I dont think he meant, "I want to force my players to use strategy," but more like, "My players don't use full-castinf classes anyway, so they like to use traps and other strategies and I encourage and reward that."

I was considering an all human game. The starting area would be a self sustaining bubble human village that a vampire is keeping around essentually for livestock. No one leaves or visits. When they eventually escape it turns out humans are very rare bordering on extinction.

Would this be worth justifying a human only game (at least to start)?

Nothing will justify restrictions to players who just want the stat bonuses, don't understand that a character is the non-physical aspects or who just hold "EVERYTHING MUST BE ALLOWED, NEVER SAY NO" views.

Your game will have luke-warm critical reception, poor audience reception, but make just enough money that studios keep hiring you for more projects. Also, you can look forward to a small, but faithful cult following. Good job, Shaymalan.

Not just Fireball - Acid Splash, Call Lightning, Circle of Death, Cloud of Daggers, Cloudkill, Confusion, Daylight, Entangle, Faerie Fire and in general almost any area-of-effect spells can be refluffed to be "I throw a flask at it." Even many single-target spells can. You just have different attributes you need to care about (like DEX) and your flasks obviously cost you in ingredients, but on the other hand you're not quite as limited in uses/day or uses/rest.

>Why set up a trap for the monster when you can just blast it with fireballs?
Literally battlefield control wizard is vastly superior to stupid fucking fireballs. Wizards ARE strategy. And they have the stats and knowledge to actually do strategizing without it being metagaming.

>DnD.
Why do you guys do that to yourselfs, after pathfinder must be one of the clunkiest games than is played right now.

You do realize that there are at least 3 different games that go under the name DnD played right now, and I'm not counting the older ones because the retroclone have different names?

Actually though what is CoDzilla?

1d4chan.org/wiki/CoDzilla

Yes...Its your game